• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Robert Walls' assessment of the Demons

Bobby McKenzie

This article just shows why they don't sell many papers anymore. Walls isn't too far off at all but he's getting paid to write this and he's pretty much just scrapped together some of the names, thrown Hogan at the top to make it controversial and job is done.

It's not that he's done a bad job but if you want people to be fascinated by what they are reading then go and find out the contract status, take some time to realise the state of the list and figure that you can't have all the guys out that he wants and FFS watch Sam Blease play a game of footy and realise he's a freaking liability!

Anyone who has played AFL says that it takes 90% of players 60 games to make an impact and feel comfortable at that level. How many has Blease played ?

He has pace, takes the game on and can kick a goal. The errors and turnovers you see now will diminish with confidence and experience.

No it is you who makes many of US laugh & cringe...Because it is you who is in complete denial of the real situation the club is in

"Oh we are down a little bit in attendance...Nothing to worry about..." etc

keep going though do not let me stop you

I seriously do not know what your problem is, I do actually but there has been a warning put up in the last couple of days, so won't go there

I understand why the attendances are down, and why the same thing is happening to St Kilda, Norths, and the Bulldogs

I completely understand there are issues, but I also understand that posters who come on here and go off half cocked with information or 'facts' only gleaned from media pundits or journalists, only cloud what the real issues are

What I tend to do is actually speak to people in the Club, read what the Club has on it's website, speak to a few people outside of the Club but close enough to gauge their opinion/thoughts on things, then I make up my mind what the 'real' issues are

I actually also speak face to face with people involved in the Club if I have issues or concerns, I don't hide behind the anonymity of a keyboard taking pot shots.....I also ask questions at any forums/agm/functions I am lucky to be invited to or attend

With your post about getting a cut from the food and drink at the G, shows you have very little knowledge if any at all about the running of a football club and MFC in particular at the present moment

It is quite simple, do what CBF and P-Man supposedly do, don't read my posts if you don't like them

Sure our problems are exactly the same as the Saints & Bulldogs....I rest my case.

You have no idea...who infact do you speak to inside the club....The Cleaners at 4 AM

Complete restructure is under way...A RESCUE PLAN....

You have no idea who i speak to either.

But you are head in the sand.

Sure our problems are exactly the same as the Saints & Bulldogs....I rest my case.

You have no idea...who infact do you speak to inside the club....The Cleaners at 4 AM

Complete restructure is under way...A RESCUE PLAN....

You have no idea who i speak to either.

But you are head in the sand.

You don't speak to anybody, your complete ignorance of facts in some your posts demonstrates that.....so don't try that one...that's just sad.......

Last person I spoke to was Don McLardy at Fed Sq last weekend, I don't know the cleaners, never met them.

Your comprehension skills failed you again also, I said the falling attendances and memberships were matched by those clubs mainly because of on field performance, that is what happens, fair weather supporters jump off, no matter the club

This is supposed to be a topic about a rather lazy attempt at journalism by Robert Walls, which I have commented on, again you can't see that the omissions he made, pointed out by myself and other posters, ruins the validity of the whole article, as long as it bashes the MFC you are all for it

You don't speak to anybody, your complete ignorance of facts in some your posts demonstrates that.....so don't try that one...that's just sad.......

Last person I spoke to was Don McLardy at Fed Sq last weekend, I don't know the cleaners, never met them.

Your comprehension skills failed you again also, I said the falling attendances and memberships were matched by those clubs mainly because of on field performance, that is what happens, fair weather supporters jump off, no matter the club

This is supposed to be a topic about a rather lazy attempt at journalism by Robert Walls, which I have commented on, again you can't see that the omissions he made, pointed out by myself and other posters, ruins the validity of the whole article, as long as it bashes the MFC you are all for it

I don't speak to anyone hey....Well i certainly don't believe what comes out of you...You said above "You know what my problem is" Send me a PM on that one Satyr

Back into your bubble mate....All is good in "Satr world"

This Club is a complete Basket Case compared to St.kilda & Footscray....CS saw to that sadly...But he would have told you all is good i am sure.

You will have new ears to chew next week Satyr....How Exciting.

Edited by why you little

Of course, Walls might have written something about Terlich and Gawn only to have the sub-editors excise those bits to make space. And the bit about not knowing contracts is OK - what he's really saying is that those players don't cut the mustard which raises questions about the list manager's choices to give those players contracts beyond 2013.

On balance, I thought it was OK. Nothing earth shattering for Demonland tragics, but the average Melbourne supporter and many non-Melbourne supporters might find it mildly interesting.

I don't speak to anyone hey....Well i certainly don't believe what comes out of you...You said above "You know what my problem is" Send me a PM on that one Satyr

Back into your bubble mate....All is good in "Satr world"

This Club is a complete Basket Case compared to St.kilda & Footscray....CS saw to that sadly...But he would have told you all is good i am sure.

You will have new ears to chew next week Satyr....How Exciting.

Ah well, I tried, but twisting the words again, hopefully you will get your wish next week....what will you do if you don't?

PS The Bulldogs changed their name quite a few years ago

Gawn is the glaring omission.

Terlich has done well, but I don't see much more than a serviceable battler.

McKenzie is a liability the way footy is played these days.

Strauss is soft.

I'd persevere with Tapscott. He doesn't get enough of it, but I reckon he can improve.

Bail isn't up to it. Will have the odd good game, but butchers it by foot.

Evans - see Bail. Three year deal ? Two would have sufficed. However, I prefer him to Bail.

Blease needs plenty of games put into him.

Pedersen is soft. A depth player.

Keep Sylvia.

Davey was finished 3 years ago.

Fitzpatrick isn't up to it, but get some games into him this year and at least give him a chance.

Jamar is finished.

Dunn is finished.

I'd keep Watts, teach him the non-negotiables and play him in the Jack Gunston role.

The future lies with Hogan, Viney, Toumpas, Gawn, Frawley, Garland, Clark, Dawes, Howe, McDonald, Kent, Grimes, Trengove. That's a core baker's dozen players to build a team around. Add hopefully two top 3 picks - mids (we won't always get them wrong) and there's a bit to work with. And I quite like Clisby.

EDIT: and I quite like Matt Jones.

Agree with all of this except for Tapscott and Davey. Outside of strength and a long kick, I don't think Tapscott brings enough to the table, and I think Davey still has a year or two of being a forward pocket/HFF at least.

The rest of it, including your core, I agree with. And it's that core that gives me a bit of hope.

Please be careful Satyriconhome and WYL because you might find yourselves posting on Satyriconhomeland and WYLland instead of Demonland soon.

Let's stay on topic please.

WJ, point taken, as you will see I even mentioned the warning, so from now on once the name callers start as I try and stay on topic I'll make sure I point it out

Agree with all of this except for Tapscott and Davey. Outside of strength and a long kick, I don't think Tapscott brings enough to the table, and I think Davey still has a year or two of being a forward pocket/HFF at least.

The rest of it, including your core, I agree with. And it's that core that gives me a bit of hope.

I don't agree with

Terlich - for somebody to show consistency with less than 10 games under his belt, another full pre season

McKenzie - you need to watch the stoppages

Evans - again for somebody to show the consistency with less than 10 games under his belt, upside and a goal kicker

Pedersen and Strauss - what is the defintion of soft?

Blease - like everybody love his attack, but concerned about him disappearing in games

Fitzpatrick - has had half a dozen games, so wiped?

I don't agree with

Terlich - for somebody to show consistency with less than 10 games under his belt, another full pre season

McKenzie - you need to watch the stoppages

Evans - again for somebody to show the consistency with less than 10 games under his belt, upside and a goal kicker

Pedersen and Strauss - what is the defintion of soft?

Blease - like everybody love his attack, but concerned about him disappearing in games

Fitzpatrick - has had half a dozen games, so wiped?

Evans has shown he is consistently average. Good on him for his effort and the fact that he can hold his head high right now, but in the long run I'm not sure I see any future in him.

For anything McKenzie does at the stoppages, he lets himself down in what he does elsewhere. As BH said, players like him aren't common in 2013, mainly because the game doesn't suit them. You cannot afford to carry players these days who can't provide anything offensively. What's worse, McKenzie has a clear aversion to kicking, always looking to handpass. He needs to learn to kick, and he needs to learn to be more damaging when we have the ball. Right now, he's not giving us enough.

If you need someone to define soft to you, you probably need to watch more football. Needless to say, Strauss suffers from that curse. He doesn't attack the ball, he doesn't get in and under packs, he doesn't attack contests with conviction, he doesn't tackle hard, or hit players hard. Pedersen is really weak for a man with his body in one-on-one marking contests. He reminds me of Paul Johnson in that he has a body but can't for the life of him use it.

I don't think either BH or I wrote Fitzpatrick off. My view is that he has enormous upside and that with more games under his belt we will hopefully get to see if he is going to make it long term. I'm not holding high hopes, but I'd like to see more.

Evans has shown he is consistently average. Good on him for his effort and the fact that he can hold his head high right now, but in the long run I'm not sure I see any future in him.

For anything McKenzie does at the stoppages, he lets himself down in what he does elsewhere. As BH said, players like him aren't common in 2013, mainly because the game doesn't suit them. You cannot afford to carry players these days who can't provide anything offensively. What's worse, McKenzie has a clear aversion to kicking, always looking to handpass. He needs to learn to kick, and he needs to learn to be more damaging when we have the ball. Right now, he's not giving us enough.

If you need someone to define soft to you, you probably need to watch more football. Needless to say, Strauss suffers from that curse. He doesn't attack the ball, he doesn't get in and under packs, he doesn't attack contests with conviction, he doesn't tackle hard, or hit players hard. Pedersen is really weak for a man with his body in one-on-one marking contests. He reminds me of Paul Johnson in that he has a body but can't for the life of him use it.

I don't think either BH or I wrote Fitzpatrick off. My view is that he has enormous upside and that with more games under his belt we will hopefully get to see if he is going to make it long term. I'm not holding high hopes, but I'd like to see more.

Evans, has had a serious back injury, rehabilitated himself, got into the team and is turning up every week, still hasn't had a full pre season, suggest you go back to junior highlights, I know it is not a true indicator, but the talent is there

McKenzie, yes I know, frustrates me as well, but leads in the grunt work, you can see glimpses of an outside developing, but with the inexperience in the midfield he is not getting much of an opportunity to work anywhere else

Watched and played (injuries and arthritis to prove it) for over 30 years, think Strauss is a bit more like Watts, tends to try and stay on his feet, has always played that way, think he has the tools, but like you may not last, but soft is a bit harsh in my book..........as for Pedersen, new to the team, another one that should be given some slack, again has not played that many games at AFL level...bit like any big guy takes a while to realise you can use your size...Max Gawn included

Edited by Satyriconhome

Anyone who has played AFL says that it takes 90% of players 60 games to make an impact and feel comfortable at that level. How many has Blease played ?

He has pace, takes the game on and can kick a goal. The errors and turnovers you see now will diminish with confidence and experience.

Spot on 'Ben', I think he still has a bit of kids footy in him and he will only come through with consistent game time. It is frustrating to see him sent back to Casey, he's not going to learn much down there now.

Not sure why so many have this persona that anything Robert Walls writes or comments on about Football matters is met with so much disdain

Robert has coached a premiership team and has also been at the very bottom of the ladder

He has been involved at a club that has been a basket case and had to endure coaching at cash strapped clubs

I don't always agree with everything he says but when he talks i listen

He is one guy i would have on my invitation list at selecting our next coach

IMO his input would be a valuable asset especially with the situation Melbourne finds itself in

A situation that is the lowest i have seen the club in 50 years

Knowing Walls he would probably do it for nothing

• Like 1

Does this apply to Jack Watts, just curious, have you seen something in him in the last 2 weeks which makes you think there is some hope. I take note where you say on your player appraisal you may keep Watts once he is told/understands the non-negotiables.

I think he has just ticked over the 60 odd game mark and I think it is safe to say he was gifted 5 to 10 in his early years when 18 months solid in the VFL would have been of greater benefit

Skills poor, fitness non existent, hardness see fitness. He has pace and likes a ping at the goals. That's all I see from Blease. The fact besides Nicholson the rest of our team are plodders doesn't mean I like Blease.

I see Kent play who also lacks fitness to work both ways but you see he's not afraid to lay a tackle and is trying to think he way through using the ball not just blindly sprinting.

Would that be the same Robert Walls who once said on 3AW "Simon Godfrey should be made Captain"?

Just for the record, I liked Simon.

Just read Wallsy's frank assessment of our team in the Age - Time for Dees' date night

Has Sylvia as finished. What did other posters think of his ratings. Interesting that big Max Gawn didn't even rate a mention. Your thoughts please.

Skills poor, fitness non existent, hardness see fitness. He has pace and likes a ping at the goals. That's all I see from Blease. The fact besides Nicholson the rest of our team are plodders doesn't mean I like Blease.

I see Kent play who also lacks fitness to work both ways but you see he's not afraid to lay a tackle and is trying to think he way through using the ball not just blindly sprinting.

Clearly we differ.

Does this apply to Jack Watts, just curious, have you seen something in him in the last 2 weeks which makes you think there is some hope. I take note where you say on your player appraisal you may keep Watts once he is told/understands the non-negotiables.

I think he has just ticked over the 60 odd game mark and I think it is safe to say he was gifted 5 to 10 in his early years when 18 months solid in the VFL would have been of greater benefit

I've wasted enough time discussing him. He doesn't deserve more of my time. I've said what I've said.

Clearly we differ.

i usually rate your opinion on our players which is why I'm surprised you like Blease. My main issue is he seems to struggle to play composed and quality games at VFL as well. No doubt be dominates that level but even at that level he doesn't look like a naturally composed player.

His kicking reminds me of a NFL quarterback who has the great mechanics and throws a tight spiral and looks great. But put him on the field and that accuracy disappears under pressure

Unimpressed with much of his article. He clearly hasn't done a whole lot of research for it. No mention of Terlich for starters. Jamar to keep for another three years? He is right about letting some of the NQRs go and playing a few of the younger guys for the rest of the season, but not much else.

Gawn is the glaring omission.

Terlich has done well, but I don't see much more than a serviceable battler.

McKenzie is a liability the way footy is played these days.

Strauss is soft.

I'd persevere with Tapscott. He doesn't get enough of it, but I reckon he can improve.

Bail isn't up to it. Will have the odd good game, but butchers it by foot.

Evans - see Bail. Three year deal ? Two would have sufficed. However, I prefer him to Bail.

Blease needs plenty of games put into him.

Pedersen is soft. A depth player.

Keep Sylvia.

Davey was finished 3 years ago.

Fitzpatrick isn't up to it, but get some games into him this year and at least give him a chance.

Jamar is finished.

Dunn is finished.

I'd keep Watts, teach him the non-negotiables and play him in the Jack Gunston role.

The future lies with Hogan, Viney, Toumpas, Gawn, Frawley, Garland, Clark, Dawes, Howe, McDonald, Kent, Grimes, Trengove. That's a core baker's dozen players to build a team around. Add hopefully two top 3 picks - mids (we won't always get them wrong) and there's a bit to work with. And I quite like Clisby.

EDIT: and I quite like Matt Jones.

Agree on Gawn, Terlich and McKenzie.

Josh Hunt is soft too, but if you can kick it, there are things you can get away with at AFL level. Mackie's another one who gets away with it. Strauss's problem is he doesn't get enough of it. I'd persevere with him though. New coach with some solid defensive structures and a plan for utilising our better disposers of the ball may well prove to be an important ingredient.

Tapscott's on thin ice, but I'd agree. He's shown a couple of signs this year. I can't see him being truly comfortable at this level until next year, but if he can string together some games at the back end of this season, it will do his confidence the world of good.

Agree on Bail. Horrible, horrible decision maker too. He looks alright when we're going forward too, but seems to lack the defensive work-rate.

I disagree on Evans. I probably would have gone with a two year deal on this one, but I see something promise in him. His disposal and decision making is streets ahead of Bail, with half Rohan's game time. The three year deal is a show of faith though, along with our persistence despite his injuries. I think if he improves to become a solid B grader, he will repay the faith the club has shown him. That's the beauty of a three year deal in my eyes. Investment in someone. It wouldn't be a big contract anyway.

Blease will probably always be a downhill skier for mine. He will look very dangerous in a functioning forwardline, with good midfield supply though.

Agree on Pedersen, Sylvia, Davey, Fitzpatrick, Jamar and Dunn.

I can see Watts playing the Gunston role too. As soon as Dawes went off last week he looked half the player he was in the first half. He will never work as a true KPF for mine. He could be a very good third tall, with an ability to play on the wing and high half forward too.

Totally agree on the future, though I haven't seen enough of Kent yet to judge him. However, he appears to have quite a left peg.