The Keep Mark Neeld Thread

Red&BlueBlood

Ok so I've been a bit of a Neeld basher in the past but for some reason I want him to get the chance to see out his contract with a bit of support.

I'm not getting sucked into his development talk its just I think he has literally had to start again.

The game plan he is trying to implement isn't too different to most other teams - play on, back yourself, high skill level, get back on defence when the opposition has the ball. The big difference is he doesn't have a midfield and the players can't translate training skills to match day.

He has brought in 2 very good players in Clark & Dawes and a bunch of stop gaps. I hear people saying rodan, pederson, Byrnes, etc are a waste but who would have taken there place on the list?

Bailey recruited athletes, light framed athletes who still to this day struggle to dominate games.

At seasons end should he be in charge I have faith that Neeld will get us that big fish midfielder, possibly 2.

If we can get the ball into a fit forward line of Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts, Howe... Happy days.

If players choose to leave at seasons end because he is to hard on them are they really fit to wear the jumper?

I think we have suffered this much we don't have anything to loose so show him some support...

Just my 2 bobs worth

• Like 22

I would really like to know what the players actually think.

For me, the signatures of Sylvia and Watts are the litmus test. Some players have reputedly 'bought in', but I want to see 'buy in' from these two players and Frawley (in the form of a contract extension) - ideally, asap.

No use entering another rebuild if we can't even keep the required players who are already on our list.

In fact, does anyone have any knowledge as to where the contract discussions are at?

• Like 10

I would really like to know what the players actually think. For me, the signatures of Sylvia and Watts are the litmus test. Some players have reputedly 'bought in', but I want to see 'buy in' from these two players and Frawley (in the form of a contract extension) - ideally, asap. No use entering another rebuild if we can't even keep the required players who are already on our list. In fact, does anyone have any knowledge as to where the contract discussions are at?

Very true, it would be a good indication. Dawes' faith in Neeld seems to be shared by a few at least but we do need these players to hang around if we are going to go anywhere soon.

I'm personally not sure if I'd like to see Neeld see out his entire contract but he must be kept to the end of this season I think, for a bit of stability. If Jackson decides he isn't the man for the job, it's best to get rid of him at the back end of the year.

For me, the signatures of Sylvia and Watts are the litmus test. Some players have reputedly 'bought in', but I want to see 'buy in' from these two players and Frawley (in the form of a contract extension) - ideally, asap.

No use entering another rebuild if we can't even keep the required players who are already on our list.

In fact, does anyone have any knowledge as to where the contract discussions are at?

I agree if Neeld can get signatures of those 3 he earns the right to see out his contract. If he can't we should find another coach

• Like 1

Devils advocate question:

Players may not sign because they are waiting to see if we sack Neeld. What if they want to play under Neeld and think that the club will be going backwards by saving the FD and start again?

If this is the case, the club would be aware of this but the supporters won't.

• Like 3

the MFC will keep Mark Neeld.

Until Tuesday.

I don't expect Neeld will be there next year, but if we sack him this week, one week after having an opportunity to sack him and discussing his future art a board meeting we are a disgrace. We could not have possibly learnt anything in those 8 days, the decision would be incomprehensible.

After the season, perhaps. With a few rounds to go, quite possibly. This week? I doubt it, it doesn't make sense.

• Like 6

When I hear that the 'disgruntled' include people dumb enough to think that Jeff Kennett and The Ox could have any impact at all in turning the club around, or that we should bring in Sheedy as a new head coach, I pause.

So many chest-beating egos, the 'I'm really red and blue so what I say, you do' attitudes, generation after generation of white-anting or public wailing by anyone at this club who feels like they aren't being given the control they 'deserve'.

And in it all, in the absence of any meaningful statement of 'this practice should change', in the absence of real football or administrative insight, it just becomes a personal attack on whoever happens to be the incumbent.

• Like 5

Personally I think if Sylvia leaves it is to find success. Infact can we trade him or do we get nothing should he move on?

If Watts leaves it will be because of the constant bashing he receives from the media & fans... In saying that players usually like to get a but of form behind then prior to signing to bump up the $$.

If Frawley is to re sign I think it will be next year.

Chip is the real keeper, once we get a midfielder or 2 things will turn.

As I've said TERRIBLE recruiting has cost us - Cook, Gysberts, etc have hurt us...

Evans, M & N Jones and co just need a polished sidekick to show them the way.

I'm not sure Dale Thomas is the answer so who else can we target??

• Like 1

I don't think there are too many 'stars' that we will have a chance in getting Red&Blue. I think our best option is to go for older experienced free agents for our midfield such as, Cross, Adam Selwood, Mitchell or someone like this. And then draft some quality young mids to learn off them. If we get Dale Thomas then that would be great but at present not many players in their prime would be looking to come to us. By getting a few experienced mids who can help increase pour competitiveness we will then become a more attractive option for star players.

I don't think there are too many 'stars' that we will have a chance in getting Red&Blue. I think our best option is to go for older experienced free agents for our midfield such as, Cross, Adam Selwood, Mitchell or someone like this. And then draft some quality young mids to learn off them. If we get Dale Thomas then that would be great but at present not many players in their prime would be looking to come to us. By getting a few experienced mids who can help increase pour competitiveness we will then become a more attractive option for star players.

You never know - the lure of the coin? New challenges? Motivation? New list?

Anything can happen.

Further, the footy world is sitting back and watching Neeld absorb pressure, the media and naysayers. Sends a message of unity if we don't react to Carro, Healy, etc.

• Like 1

GWS are going alright, aren't they?

31 - 1

Have Geelong woken up yet??

31-15..

Geelong have woken up, but they are still just coasting.

Hopefully GWS can slam a few on and make it interesting at least, they have some talent on that list - that's for sure.

I am suprised Neeld is still there. The ONFIELD output has been beyond awful since Round 1 last year.

Where is the onfield progress. This is what worries me. I have never watched a side so bereft of confidence that it literally fears the ball.

Is this the way to coach? Is he the man who can turn this delicate club around?

After 18 months i question whether my judgements are knee jerk or just a stark reality.

If Neeld can come through good on him, but at present he is 500/1 in my book.

Monday could be his last if the team hangs the head.

• Like 3

The whole MFC situation has polarised members/non members. I am not in the Neeld camp because I have seen NOTHING to give me hope he can improve this list.

Yawn yawn, my last post on this thread.

Wtf is with this thread?? If it wasnt for the two expansion clubs we would have only one win from the last 33 games. That is a disgraceful record. Dont care what anyone says cut our losses at years end and just part ways with him. We are getting thumped 90 plus points every week, we are losing supporters, losing money the list goes on. Im sure Neeld is a nice bloke but jeez cant coach to save his life.

• Like 3

The performances, effort and attitude tell you what they think. It ain't good.

Yeah it's becoming rather boring the keep neeld sack him argument. I definetly think he made life harder for himself by coming in and getting rid of some of our players but I was actually happy with that and not one of them I cared to keep besides Rivers but he chose to leave. And I've since hear people saying that he was too hard, well f**k me we obviously had a lot of soft players. I just watched Chris Scott absolutely slam his players and they are sitting second on the ladder. If we have players who don't like being yelled at in a football team then they really aren't up to it. So I'm willing to see what Neeld can do for the remainder of this season and probably next. At least he likes hard tough players which is something the Demons side has never been, at least in my lifetime.

• Like 2

I don't know where I sit with Neeld. I'd like to see something - anything - to convince me he has a clue. I agree with Jackson's 'clean air' approach, and feel we really need to back the CEO on this, but for how long is the real question.

In any event he's still low on my list of changes I'd prefer to see. I'd like to see a new look at the top before anything else is done. Without a firm and competent hand on the tiller we're a club made up of disparate factions all trying to compete for seniority in a sick, and maybe dying, club. That worries me much more than the coach and a couple of players.

Edited by Carrot Top
  • Like 1

I don't know where I sit with Neeld. I'd like to see something - anything - to convince me he has a clue. I agree with Jackson's 'clean air' approach, and feel we really need to back the CEO on this, but for how long is the real question.

In any event he's still low on my list of changes I'd prefer to see. I'd like to see a new look at the top before anything else is done. Without a firm and competent hand on the tiller we're a club made up of disparate factions all trying to compete for seniority in a sick, and maybe dying, club. That worries me much more than the coach and a couple of players.

Tend to agree with this Carrot.

Neeld is on the edge hanging by a thread, but he does still have his destiny in hand. He can improve.

The Board have already shown their hand for mine. Too many mistakes for redemption.

Whether or not it is right, and whether or not it is his fault - a critical mass has been reached and Neeld will be removed.

It's not ideal to be in the situation we are in - on the precipice of a caretaker. But we have to deal with what is infront of us.

Get the FD structure right, have Rawlings as caretaker (if Craig is Head of the FD) and go and get Roos, Williams, Eade, or Ratten in that order of preference.

It's not all his fault but the blow out losses can not be explained away with lack of experience or talent. It's coupled with a sustained lack of effort and heart and that is why we will soon move on.

As for Sylvia and Watts - I don't want to make any decision based on what the players prefer. We have to do what we feel will get the most out of them. If Sylvia makes the harder decision to stay - we will have him of course. Watts is a different story and honest conversations are needed with the new coach and him, and also the new coach with any prospective clubs with a young midfielder of equal talent.

Wtf is with this thread?? If it wasnt for the two expansion clubs we would have only one win from the last 33 games. That is a disgraceful record. Dont care what anyone says cut our losses at years end and just part ways with him. We are getting thumped 90 plus points every week, we are losing supporters, losing money the list goes on. Im sure Neeld is a nice bloke but jeez cant coach to save his life.

Its amazing its still being debated isn't it, the coaches record is absolutely putrid.