Chris Connolly 2 year contract

DeeSpencer

• 1 month later...

Im gonna bump this thread up after PJ basically confirmed that Healys best mate wont be back and also that i cannot believe people were still defending this bloke.. was part of the stinking culture and leader of the One Direction boys club that failed at his job. Thank god PJ wont be ringing this bloke again.

Im gonna bump this thread up after PJ basically confirmed that Healys best mate wont be back and also that i cannot believe people were still defending this bloke.. was part of the stinking culture and leader of the One Direction boys club that failed at his job. Thank god PJ wont be ringing this bloke again.

The people defending him (and I'm not one of them) do have somewhat of an argument though. It goes like this:

CC didn't hire himself we were the fools who hired him as head of the football department when most of the football world could tell an independent voice who didn't apply for the head coach would've been a much wiser move to support Bailey. We then moved him out of the FD where he did some good work in the community and was a passionate voice for the club. He also took the wrap for the tanking affair, which he had some roll in but never should've come to an investigation anyway based on the AFL rules and previous AFL ambivalence.

Unfortunately that's another problem Schwab created. If Connolly had failed so poorly as head of FD why was he moved sideways and not moved on. Now he's done a good job in his new position and will be moved on for his previous failures because we didn't make the tough call when needed.

We can no longer cater to different fan groups on a whim but at the same time we need to keep them involved otherwise we won't have a club. A difficult line for all involved and a key to our success.

I dont understand the Connelly hate.

He was made a scape goat for what you'd assume was a whole Club or atleast a whole FD decision - to manage the list to ensure we were well positioned to capitalise on draft picks, at a time where we had no chance to make finals.

Outside of this, he's a good bloke and passionate club man

Why the hate?

• Like 2

He was made a scape goat for what you'd assume was a whole Club or atleast a whole FD decision - to manage the list to ensure we were well positioned to capitalise on draft picks, at a time where we had no chance to make finals.

Why the hate?

Me too The guy has taken the fall for numerous MFC people.

Ok It may not be a good look for him to return but does he have to be crucified a second time?

• Like 1

He took the fall for the club, no question and i'm sure he played a role in that situation coming up in the first place, i hardly see him as a saint in that regard,

he did the right thing by us, that's appreciated but in a cutthroat profession industry there is no place for favours, if he doesn't fit into the structure he needs to be out the door.

Not sure I agree with PJ's assessment that would seem to assess all those with "red & blue in their veins" as being, and I'm paraphrasing, spuds.

CC took the fall here. The same guy is passionate, enthusiastic and capable. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Omg this is the same guy that instergated the tanking sham along with Schwaby and then told Jame Mcdonald to retire early when he was promised a new one year deal. This was the start of the bailey/ Connelly fallout as Bailey was gobsmacked and so was the players, they absolutly hated him. I dont care if he is a passionate red and blue he has gotten us no where and nothing but a snake.

• Like 1

He "took the fall for the Club" because he was primarily responsible with Schwab for the appalling execution and implementation of the tanking strategy.

Should have been moved on in 2011. And as a failed applicant for the coaching job in 2007 should never have been the FD head overseeing the appointed applicant. Recipe for disaster

And its ironic his acceptance of penalties to protect others have been in vain. Schwab, McLardy and much of the Board have all been moved on and rightly so.

Bailey, Connolly and Prendergast - the recipe for our disaster?

What did they all have in common?

Appointed by the Gardner board and inherited by Jimmy, McLardy and Schwab. That's where the root of the problem lies I assume.

Stynes , Mclardy and Schwab are the reason the clubs in this position and Gary Lyon, people are kidding themselves blaming Gardner he might've left debt but at least when he was in charge you,could go to the footy and see a win, JS DMc and CS will be known as the death of this club.

What's the point in trying to score points at this time?

The fact is we haven't had effective leadership for a long time. We're effectively under AFL administration and what happens in the next few months is what will determine whether we continue to exist and thrive in the future.

What's the point in trying to score points at this time?

The fact is we haven't had effective leadership for a long time. We're effectively under AFL administration and what happens in the next few months is what will determine whether we continue to exist and thrive in the future.

Agree. There's nothing productive about it. But there's a lot of people here who like telling you what they always knew.... after it's happened! Monday experts.

• Like 1

Agree. There's nothing productive about it. But there's a lot of people here who like telling you what they always knew.... after it's happened! Monday experts.

Theres a lot of people here that backed the wrong horse and they know it, we virtually had a running commentary from CW and they still couldn't accept it. Edited by mjt
  • Like 1

Bailey, Connolly and Prendergast - the recipe for our disaster?

What did they all have in common?

Appointed by the Gardner board and inherited by Jimmy, McLardy and Schwab. That's where the root of the problem lies I assume.

Do you really want to go here?

All appointed by Gardner, all had contracts extended by Stynes, McLardy and Schwab.

All are gone (RIP Jimmy).

IMO Daniher (and Fagan/Cameron) largely held the club together to give it some respectability from about 1998 onward. Danners was a Gutnick appointee and extended by Szondy and Gardner.

Daniher left mid 2007 and we have been a joke from then onwards.

Since then we have been rudderless, poor Chairman, poor CEO's, poor coaches, poor Boards and poor football managers. The reality is after 5 years of Jimmy/Mclardy we are in AFL administration.

Gardners fault? You're pulling my leg.

And mjt, Hazy and a select few others say hello.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 1

Not sure I agree with PJ's assessment that would seem to assess all those with "red & blue in their veins" as being, and I'm paraphrasing, spuds.CC took the fall here. The same guy is passionate, enthusiastic and capable. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That's not what PJ said. He addressed our criteria for filling positions.

Having "red and blue blood" should be irrelevant.

It's about getting the best people for the positions that need to be filled.

In business, there is no allegiance based in colours.

Football has been a business for a long time now; it's about time MFC started treating it like that.

• Like 1

That's not what PJ said. He addressed our criteria for filling positions.

Having "red and blue blood" should be irrelevant.

It's about getting the best people for the positions that need to be filled.

In business, there is no allegiance based in colours.

Football has been a business for a long time now; it's about time MFC started treating it like that.

Aye. You want the job then be better then the rest of the applicants. What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

Why the hate?

Speak to Freo people and see what they have to say about Schwab and COnnolly. Its not pretty.

All appointed by Gardner, all had contracts extended by Stynes, McLardy and Schwab.

IMO Daniher (and Fagan/Cameron) largely held the club together to give it some respectability from about 1998 onward. Danners was a Gutnick appointee and extended by Szondy and Gardner.

Since then we have been rudderless, poor Chairman, poor CEO's, poor coaches, poor Boards and poor football managers. The reality is after 5 years of Jimmy/Mclardy we are in AFL administration.

I will never forgive Gardner for leaving us $5m in debt and telling us they were making money and everything was fine. Was a [censored] on the few occasions I met him and did nothing about our sad location circumstances. Nor did generate much sponsorship revenue when he was drafted in as an 'advertising' guru.

Bu the final straw for me was his comments about Melbourne post Bailey that were out of school and deliberately designed to inflict damage on the club.

The rest of your post I agree with..

IMO Daniher (and Fagan/Cameron) largely held the club together to give it some respectability from about 1998 onward. Danners was a Gutnick appointee and extended by Szondy and Gardner. (Corcoran)???)

held the club together, this Is where the bruise free footy was given Birth... don't get hurt, stay on the paddock & keep the punters coming thru the turnstiles... the start of a 2 class culture, where some tackled & chased, & some were front runner receivers.

This, IS the beginnings of Bruise Free footy, & as our greats aged, then retired, we had no culture left to develop the newbies...

# board change: & then the youth policy was done arrse-about,,,, keeping the soft, & ejecting the headover hard ball winners...

.... any wonder morton & bennell & others went nowhere but off. apart from bad choices,,, they had no chance being led by free-range front runners.

# all our off field leadership has been appalling, for a loooong time, but treading water was the Wrong thing to do... Daniher holding on to a contract, instead of walking out, has hurt us, & our ability to get to the bottom of the Issues around the club sooner.

did you really need to get that off your chest at 12:21am?

...Anyway I for one have no idea what Connolly brings to the table and I don't think many of us (demonlanders) know much when it comes to the inner sanctum.

We can't come to any conclusions without some facts or at least insights from people in the inner sanctum - any demonlanders have any first hand insight into Connolly?

Did you really feel the need to reply at 12.40am?

Missed the point entirely and in all probability, you didn't even bother to read my post.

Pointed out that this trio were all appointed before Jimmy Stynes came into office and if people want to blame Stynes/McLardy/Schwab for what they did, then it should be acknowledged that they in fact, inherited some of the perpetrators.

I disagree that we we were ruderless most of the time. We got ourselves out of debt and into the black. Had the old board remained, we'd probably be on the Gold Coast or in liquidation by now anyway.

Missed the point entirely and in all probability, you didn't even bother to read my post.

Pointed out that this trio were all appointed before Jimmy Stynes came into office and if people want to blame Stynes/McLardy/Schwab for what they did, then it should be acknowledged that they in fact, inherited some of the perpetrators.

I disagree that we we were ruderless most of the time. We got ourselves out of debt and into the black. Had the old board remained, we'd probably be on the Gold Coast or in liquidation by now anyway.

Thank heavens we're in the position we're in now instead.

• Like 2

Isn't all this a bit meaningless? I just cant see how playing the blame game, looking back and pointing fingers helps when all that matters is what happens in the future. I'm non aligned with any current or past group associated with the club, although I'm sure they all gave it their best shot,(if they didn't they are gone now anyway) however you don't have to be all that clever to realise that there a number who use the Demonland site are more interested in looking back and trying to point score, rather than looking forward.

I also doubt if this would have gone unnoticed at the AFL level. Even they might be able to see there is an issue here.

What's happened in the past has happened and nothing is going to change that, constantly rehashing yesterdays news gets a little boring, so how about we all get over it as we have one or two more serious problems to deal with.

Isn't all this a bit meaningless? I just cant see how playing the blame game, looking back and pointing fingers helps when all that matters is what happens in the future. I'm non aligned with any current or past group associated with the club, although I'm sure they all gave it their best shot,(if they didn't they are gone now anyway) however you don't have to be all that clever to realise that there a number who use the Demonland site are more interested in looking back and trying to point score, rather than looking forward.

I also doubt if this would have gone unnoticed at the AFL level. Even they might be able to see there is an issue here.

What's happened in the past has happened and nothing is going to change that, constantly rehashing yesterdays news gets a little boring, so how about we all get over it as we have one or two more serious problems to deal with.

I agree and you should tell that to Mr. Baghdad and the other gloaters who posted above.