Dayle Garlett

deeko

Well due to other commitments I was disappointed I couldn't make WA vs Vic Metro in the u/18's this morning, but this afternoon I headed to Leederville Oval to see Subiaco vs Swan Districts with both coming off the bye and wins against top 4 sides in their previous outings. The game was a tough call for local tipsters who expected a contest but let me say I headed there expecting to see a close contest but it was anything but that. Worst most listless game of football I have seen this season. Sheed was playing in the u/18 championships so didn't get a look at him. Michael Wood and Dayle Garlett were the two youngsters in the game whom scouts would have been watching.

On Dayle

1st Qrt

Very little of him in this quarter he was very lethargic and looked flat footed at times

10 mins: Swans attacking and honour a lead at RFP which spills over the top to sweeping defender, Garlett comes in quick with defensive effort to force defender and ball over the line and ball up. What was of note here was Garlett's awareness not to draw his opponent to the contest and leave it 1 on 1

17 mins: Swans force a turnover on their half back line and break down the left wing, Garlett strolls through the corridor when their is clear space between CHF & FF. Swans player forced to kick long with no options and at the spill of the contest Subiaco clear easily

19mins: Again Swans cause a turnover and rebound to the left of the corridor, Garlett floating between centre and CHF identifies space at FF and makes a great angled run leaving opponent trailing now unable to see Garlett and ball coming in, pass is not AFL quality and it looks like Garlett made the wrong lead but IMO AFL player would have been able to hit the ball to correct area and left Garlett to run into an open goal

21mins: Garlett makes a good lead to RFP after a few half leads to lose and gain advantage on opponent, poor disposal sees ball go over Garlett's head but does not drop far behind him, he switches off thinking ball is headed out and provides no second effort, allowing Subiaco to clear the ball easily

Quarter ends with Swans holding a 2 to 3 goal lead in a very lacklustre quarter for both sides

2ndQrt

1min: Swans win first bounce out of the centre and ball is bombed long from just outside forward 50 to around 2m from goal, Garlett seeing danger follows ball but does not get caught ball watching his direct opponent losses contact and attacks contest while Garlett sits ready at top of square and picks up the spill and immediately snap goal

7mins: Swans rebound quickly from HB and Garlett collects ball between near the edge of the Square & CHF he has the option of blazing away for goal but is cool and hits a perfectly weighted pass forcing FF to lead to pocket and take an uncontested mark. FF misses for a point. excellent disposal by Garlett with a pass not unlike something you would see from Davey

9mins: Ball is cleared hurriedly from Centre square and comes to HFF where Garlett gives a contest and provides good second effort to apply a tackle to crumbing defender, unfortunately for Garlett defender ducks his head and is awarded a free kick

10mins: Swans attack again and the ball spends some time in their forward 30 where Garlett stands flat footed and provides nothing, Subiaco clear with Garlett's direct opponent providing outlet with run to HBF passes through corridor and Bristow hist up Michael Wood with a strong lead. Subiaco goal

17mins: Garlett uses pace to make a lead to LHFF and after taking mark turns immediately to hit perfectly weighted pass over floating defender and hitting leading forward in Forward pocket. Results in point but another display of the foot skills of Garlett

29 mins: Gets caught ball watching and flat footed when a ball is cleared from a contest on Centre wing to space between CHF & FF makes a late effort at a marking contest but provides no second effort and ball is cleared easily by Garlett's direct opponent

Garlett showed some AFL standard disposal in this quarter and has an awareness around goal which is natural, glaring lapses at times when he does not make second efforts or provide options

3rd Qrt:

3 mins: Swans clear ball from the centre square and kick is headed towards Garlett who is caught flat footed and does not provide contest and ball is cleared easily by Subi

7mins: Makes several efforts at leading before losing opponent and leading to LHFF and quickly for 3rd time during day plays on chipping to space forcing Tony Notte to run hard and take a good leading mark, from which he goals

22mins: Shows awareness by starting a lead and balking when he realises he is drawing a bigger opponent to a marking contest doubles back before making another lead to space accepting a pass from team mate who marked at original contest, turns and pinpoints a pass between CHF & FF which is marked by Geappan who goals (game over at this stage)

23mins: Swans cause turnover after Subi win clearance and bomb long to contest, Swans head down Western wing and kick long to RHF, where several players become involved in a marking contest, ball spills towards space about 35metres from goal, Garlett uses pace to lose opponent and scoops the ball up while at top pace with defender in pursuit, turns side on and snaps a goal

26mins: Garlett provides contest at HFF, which he was never going to win but does enough to bring the ball to ground forcing a ball up

Again during 3rd quarter Garlett shows his good and bad side, caught flat footed or not willing to run hard enough to get to a contest or provide option to team mate. But his skills again can not be questioned and his passing skills are first class.

4th Qrt

6 mins: Gets to a contest at CHF when a Subi defender is preparing to clear, lays a tackle against a much bigger opponent but does not have the strength to cause a spill or bring opponent to ground. Ball is cleared through a string of handpasses

7mins: Previous clearance is turned over at Swans HBF and Subi are caught on the rebound Garlett remains deep and scores from a long pass to Forward pocket, which is handballed over the top to Garlett in goal square who kicks his 3rd

8 mins: Garlett gathers ball between Centre wing and LHFF and kicks without penetration and causes a turnover

The game is over as a contest and Subi start to score some goals to make the margin a bit more respectable

14mins: Michael Wood is left in a 1 on 1 contest at FF with a much larger opponent and uses his body really well to take a mark and kicks a goal

26 mins: Garlett makes tow fantastic back to back efforts to put pressure on opponents as Subi attempt to clear the ball from defence, whilst Garlett does not cause turnover his efforts see hurried kicks in the passage of play which forces ball wide and eventually OOB on Centre wing, first real time I have seen Garlett gut run and absolutely out of breath sucking in some big gulps of air

Swans win by 47 points thanks to dominance of their midfield and great game from Tony Notte (Ex WCE). In summing up Garlett had little of the ball and was not as good as the last time I seen him, but that was more of a solo effort, he had greater help from team mates today and Swans were therefore less reliant on him.

There is no doubting his ability or the fact he has excellent skills and physically he has applied himself better, it is very obvious by how lean he is. I think his pace has improved since last year which is allowing him to close in on opponents quicker than he did last year.

Positives so far:

Garlett is fitter and faster

Foot skills are exquisite and he makes teammates go to the ball he knows where to hit a pass and hit a forward without giving the defender a chance

Tackling has improved, he is not like young flash but can put some heat on defenders

2nd efforts while not often are appearing

I have seen him twice this year and has been very disciplined no sulking when things aren't going his way which was evident last year, appears to be listening intently when coming off and speaking with coaches

Negatives:

Doesn't get involved enough, I hope I'm there the day he is switched on for 4 quarters

Needs to get stronger to see his tackles cause turnovers at AFL level

To make an impact at AFL level and not get hurt going the other way needs to improve his stamina

All in all very confident so far he will get drafted, has put a lot of effort in and worth a punt so far, still not sold on him going first round but well worth early second round pick.

Michael Wood - Subi were awful and he played at FF so didn't see much of him, leads continually and is never flat footed I will wait to see more of him before assessing but could be worth a rookie spot. Not a big KPT but with some more body size may be a handy 3rd tall. Without trying to show my West Perth bias I think he is behind Rodda who can also play across HB

• Like 6

Well due to other commitments I was disappointed I couldn't make WA vs Vic Metro in the u/18's this morning, but this afternoon I headed to Leederville Oval to see Subiaco vs Swan Districts with both coming off the bye and wins against top 4 sides in their previous outings. The game was a tough call for local tipsters who expected a contest but let me say I headed there expecting to see a close contest but it was anything but that. Worst most listless game of football I have seen this season. Sheed was playing in the u/18 championships so didn't get a look at him. Michael Wood and Dayle Garlett were the two youngsters in the game whom scouts would have been watching.

If we had Davey for one more year would you take a punt on Garlett?

Reason I mention Davey is because he has been not only a leader but also an indigenous leader at our club, plays a similar style, hard worker and as shown by this year knows what its like to prove people wrong.

Edited by PJ_12345

If we had Davey for one more year would you take a punt on Garlett?

Reason I mention Davey is because he has been not only a leader but also an indigenous leader at our club, plays a similar style, hard worker and as shown by this year knows what its like to prove people wrong.

Look honestly without sounding horrible, I don't buy this indigenous leader stuff. If your a leader your a leader, the indigenous leader side of things didn't help with Wonna or Liam. By all means allow flash to have some input but Garlett needs greater influences in workrate. My understanding is he has picked up work within the fitness area and is currently in a relationship which bodes well for him off the field.

Lewis Jetta improved at Sydney because he was made train and run with Keiran Jack during the off season, If and for me still a big if to draft Garlett he would be getting taken under the wing of Todd Viney and given mentors like Nathan Jones in how to work hard.

On seeing him so far this year I would take him somewhere in the 2nd round but long way to go in the year when he could move up, stay the same or move down the pecking order

One thing I forgot to put in the post number 49 for Swans did a lot of nothing with a few disposals and failed on a few occasions to put his body on the line. For you Old Dee 49 was Jamie Bennell

• Like 4

Look honestly without sounding horrible, I don't buy this indigenous leader stuff. If your a leader your a leader, the indigenous leader side of things didn't help with Wonna or Liam. By all means allow flash to have some input but Garlett needs greater influences in workrate. My understanding is he has picked up work within the fitness area and is currently in a relationship which bodes well for him off the field.

Lewis Jetta improved at Sydney because he was made train and run with Keiran Jack during the off season, If and for me still a big if to draft Garlett he would be getting taken under the wing of Todd Viney and given mentors like Nathan Jones in how to work hard.

On seeing him so far this year I would take him somewhere in the 2nd round but long way to go in the year when he could move up, stay the same or move down the pecking order

One thing I forgot to put in the post number 49 for Swans did a lot of nothing with a few disposals and failed on a few occasions to put his body on the line. For you Old Dee 49 was Jamie Bennell

I think both are required when it comes to some indigenous players, you mentioned he was made to train with Keiran Jack, but no doubt having Adam Goodes there as an indigenous leader there would've been great as a role model.

Time and time again I hear there is a brotherhood bond between indigenous players, Matty Whelan helped Flash and now Flash is there to help young aboriginal players coming to Melbourne. You mentioned Wonna and Jurrah, Wonna had a traumatic period where he lost a father and a father figure. I can't imagine how much of an impact on a person, let alone someone who lives in such a small tight knit community.

Jurrah's issues are well known, and I don't think it mattered how good a leader he was, Liam's fate was his own by the circumstances. No one could possibly predict what was going to unfold.

So should we get Garlett, and Flash still be around, then I think will play a role in keeping him in line as all the leaders will.

I think both are required when it comes to some indigenous players, you mentioned he was made to train with Keiran Jack, but no doubt having Adam Goodes there as an indigenous leader there would've been great as a role model.

Time and time again I hear there is a brotherhood bond between indigenous players, Matty Whelan helped Flash and now Flash is there to help young aboriginal players coming to Melbourne. You mentioned Wonna and Jurrah, Wonna had a traumatic period where he lost a father and a father figure. I can't imagine how much of an impact on a person, let alone someone who lives in such a small tight knit community.

Jurrah's issues are well known, and I don't think it mattered how good a leader he was, Liam's fate was his own by the circumstances. No one could possibly predict what was going to unfold.

So should we get Garlett, and Flash still be around, then I think will play a role in keeping him in line as all the leaders will.

I don't think it matters if flash is around or not, if Garlett continues on his current improvement since last season it is because not getting drafted last season has embarrassed him and made him realise this is his shot! Tom Roach, Shaun Hilderbrandt, Tallan Ames are the on field leaders at Swan Districts and I have watched them this year encourage Dayle throughout his games.

Specifically it has sunk in with Garlett so far and he just needs to continue on his current path, the danger time for him is if Swans don't make finals and he has downtime between the end f season and the draft. Hopefully his employment in the fitness industry makes this a non issue and he turns up lean and hungry.

It's up to him!

Now now, 20 disposals isnt too bad coming off a knee!

• 3 weeks later...

Well went to yesterday's WAFL encounter Swan Districts vs Perth fighting it out for a spot in the Top 4 and it ended up being a very disappointing contest with Perth giving little and getting absolutely belted to the tune of 15 odd goals in the end.

Dayle Garlett (for those who didn't attend and would pick up the paper and see he ended up with 4 goals) showed all the reasons why he didn't get drafted last season.

Very early in the 1st quarter he collected the ball between half back and centre and after hitting an exquisite pass through the corridor he ran hard to receive again on left wing and hit up a leading forward and I thought he was on for the day, but sadly that was were Dayle's hard efforts for the day ended. From that moment on he failed to put his body on the line once, I saw no hard running off the ball to create space or put pressure on an opponent. There were a few occasions where a little bit of hard running would have seen him on the end of a forward thrust but with the game being so one sided he became very lethargic and was happy to pick up some easy touches.

From memory he kicked one goal from the goal line after hard work from a team mate and another from close in feeding off a team mates good work. Some say I am critical of Garlett for a young player showing glimpses which can be worked on at the higher level but two goals he kicked yesterday were from 55 & 60m with effortless ease. The skill and talent is undoubted but it is so frustrating to see him after a good season so far fall back to the bad habits which hampered him last year.

On yesterday effort I would not take him before the 4th round and even then it would be a risk. Lets hope it was the heat out of the game which caused his lethargic effort and he will bounce back next time around. I must clarify the bad habits I refer to Dayle slipping back into are on field only and my understanding is everything else with him is going well. The bad habits I see would IMO cause him to be a liability at AFL level and his opponent would be very damaging on the rebound and have greater hunger at the contest which would see him being ineffectual at the highest level

As I said previously I hope for Dayle's sake it was just one of those days and he gets back to where he has been for most of this season

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised whenever I see him this year I will report on him, rushed around earlier today so did not take a pen and paper for notes, so apologies in advance for no detailed assessment. East Perth vs Swans very good game today which the Royals won by 12 points in an encounter which was full of intensity and the occasional spot fire.

Dayle Garlett had a decent 2012 and come finals time with the lift in intensity found him wanting and he was woeful.

1%ers and work without the ball

Today Garlett was excellent, I have seen him play games with higher possessions but it was what he did today off the ball which impressed me. Several times today when the ball went to ground in the Swans forward 50 he was desperate to apply pressure and lock it in. He laid numerous blocks to provide time and space for team mates which isn't a major thing but is something which last year was non existent in his game.

I also witnessed two occasions today when the ball was pumped deep into the forward line and Garlett played the percentages and made spoils to cause a stoppage and keep pressure on the Royals defence. On previous occasions Garlett has been more pre-occupied with trying to take a specky and when being outmuscled by a bigger opponent his team has been caught on the rebound

I mentioned before Garlett laid blocks to create/maintain space but he also ran hard leading up to provide space behind him, to allow 1 on 1's behind him and provide options.

When in possession

As part of the 1%ers Garlett lead hard and on occasion he was hit up within 55/60m which he can kick from and has previously but today he showed poise and would either feed off a handpass to a team mate or hit one on the lead laces out on the chest with a perfectly weighted pass, which gave the defenders no chance.

Along the line of playing as a team man was a couple of kicks to the hot spot when he could have tried something spectacular and it's hard to criticise because I was so impressed by him doing this but maybe he still may need to try the odd spectacular goal but that may be him maturing. Provided 1 great highlight with a quality pack mark and went back and drilled a goal. Almost provided goal of the season from the boundary with a kick along the ground which hit the post late in the game. What impressed me more than anything (as I was standing right behind him) was his awareness after gathering the ball not to blaze away but look and see if there was an option at the top of the square or whether he could centre the ball to a team mate, after quickly realising there was no option he then made the decision to try and kick the goal from a near on impossible angle

While he did miss some gettable shots he still possesses exquisite skills and his passes to team mates are perfectly weighted and often make the receiver go to the right spot, but I never doubted this.

Summary

As said previously I have seen Garlett play games with greater possession counts and maybe even lay more tackles, not certain but think he ended up with 3 or 4 tackles but what he did was corral defenders and apply pressure without diving in and forcing a quick clearance, turnover or stoppage. His impact today was greater than just the 5 goals he kicked and it is the first time I have watched him and not seen him caught flat footed or admiring a quality pass.

Dalyle Garlett gut ran today on numerous occasions and cramped up several times. Previously he would have stood flat footed and waited for the ball to come to him. Today he would stretch off before getting back into the action.

Garlett lifted to an intensity I have not seen from him and did not get easy possessions/goals against a WAFL cellar dweller. East Perth are currently on form, at least number 2 in the comp and IMO may win it, if he continues like this I'll be happy to say I was wrong about him and he has the fire in the belly to forge a career.

On todays effort would definitely go 2nd round and a club looking for an impact forward may take a punt on him with a late 1st round pick. Todays effort was close to but not quite as good as 2004/5 Aaron Davey, ie the foot skills were there just not quite the tackling pressure but not to far off

8/10 on todays effort

• Like 1

Did he have a bong on the bench Pennant or does he tuck his smokes into his sock?

Just wondering how he keeps up his lung capacity when everyone has already told me he will never make it.

Is it possible they were wrong?

Did he have a bong on the bench Pennant or does he tuck his smokes into his sock?

Just wondering how he keeps up his lung capacity when everyone has already told me he will never make it.

Is it possible they were wrong?

Must say Biff, he has shown a much greater attitude in games this season. There is only 1 occasion I have seen him have a day when he just lapsed back to his habits of 2012.

Can't say I said he'd never make it but was firm in the view he didn't deserve to be drafted last season and maintain that.

I'm aware he is doing a lot more personal training and his fitness has improved greatly, I would assume the fags, bourbon and cheech & chongs are a thing of the past.

The kick in the arse could turn out to be the best thing that happened to Garlett last year, I hope the kid keeps improving and doesn't get drafted and think the hard work is over

• Like 1

Why?

I think like Sheedy, Choco has a soft spot for some of the indigenous boys who play with flair, Burgoyne x 2, Wanganeen, Danyle Pearce, Che Cockatoo-Collins & Byron Pickett who brought other attributes to the table as well

I think like Sheedy, Choco has a soft spot for some of the indigenous boys who play with flair, Burgoyne x 2, Wanganeen, Danyle Pearce, Che Cockatoo-Collins & Byron Pickett who brought other attributes to the table as well

Maybe, but it also maybe a club thing.

• 1 month later...

Noticed an article in todays Hun on Mr Garlett.

Said that Port had arranged a meeting for Sunday morning to discuss 2014.

However he did not meet them appearently not well according to a Swans spokes person.

Hmm not well on sunday morning!

Think we need to avoid this guy.

Seems very high maitiance to me

However he did not meet them appearently not well according to a Swans spokes person.

I watched him play on Saturday Old Dee and he was very good everything he did he he did well, he has improved his 1%ers dramatically and second efforts are appearing regularly. His disposal is top notch.

However that was Saturday can't comment and what may have gone on Saturday night

Come on Old Dee, lets roll the dice on this one. Hoping we keep Davey on in some for of ambassador role with the club and maybe he could take young Dayle under his wing.

We are lacking in the excitment factor big time and I want a reason to go to the footy again.