Dayle Garlett

deeko

You don't think he'd still consume a lot of time and resources, if he's going to be able to turn it around?Time and resources that we need to pour into our entire list at this stage?You could reel off the names that need guidance that we already have... Will Garlett get the time put into him that he needs to not be another wasted talent?

Let's be honest, neither of us have the faintest of ideas about the guy's personal life. We have read and heard reports. However, none of the 'problems' seem to be a massive cause for concern for me. It's not like he's been accused of rape or murder.. He has had commitment and discipline issues and that's it. Garlett himself has stated that he'd find it easier to settle if he were to move states, which I'm sure is the reason people keep saying West Coast won't go near him. He said that it's his mates in WA that make it hard for him to settle and that's why it'd be easier to move state to play.

However this year he proved to the naysayers that he can indeed be committed and I didn't hear much about off-field issues and he was in WA all year with his 'mates'. And from what I saw, he had a decent year in the WAFL and showed why he was rated a top 10 pick last year.

So what, he found it hard to curb the 'party boy' identity that resulted in him being overlooked last year. This year was a damn big improvement in the WAFL. It's clear he has a desire to play AFL, and this year he was fantastically committed to the cause.

The guy will be fine if he gets to an interstate club. And he will. I just hope it's us. He is a young boy who needs guidance and that's one of the beautiful thing about sporting teams and clubs. They can do more than just provide someone with an opportunity to play at the highest level. Clubs can help shape and develop young people.

Garlett will be picked up, there's no doubt, and I for one hope we snag him.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

I'm tempted because we lack X-factor. So I went to BF to have read up. It refers to his facebook page which is open to the public and the content is not the material of a person doing everything he can to resurrect his reputation and get drafted. He's a young peanut.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dayle-garlett.938906/page-13#post-30485276

• Like 4

I'm tempted because we lack X-factor. So I went to BF to have read up. It refers to his facebook page which is open to the public and the content is not the material of a person doing everything he can to resurrect his reputation and get drafted. He's a young peanut.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dayle-garlett.938906/page-13#post-30485276

After reading your link I can only agree. There are better options around. This guy makes Fevola look responsible.

Put a line through this blokes name. Don't care how good it is we are trying to build a culture. We are not in a position to take a punt on players like him. Wait till we build a strong leadership group and Culture then maybe we can look at guys like him.

Lets take a punt on guys that are willing to put in 110% on the track and gameday. I want players that will bleed for this football club and sacrifice a lot just to help improve this club on and off field.

What would you do if the selection were up to you party pooper?

(Genuine question)

I didn't know any genuine questions ended with 'party pooper'...

If I was running the recruitment at the Dees Pick 9 would be the best mid we can get from this draft class, Pick 40 would be the last remaining kid that might be there ahead of the best VFL/SANFL/WAFL midfielder that might be there.

I see Garlett as a luxury purchase.

There would still be strong bodied mids from the state leagues that we would be leaving on the table. I don't know their names because I can't follow it very closely but they would be there.

We still need numbers for our midfield for 2014:

Jones, Viney, Tyson, Cross, Trengove, Grimes, Michie, McKenzie, Matt Jones, Pick 9, Vince, Toumpas, Hogan, Watts, Evans, Barry, Howe, Jetta, Bail, Nicholson, Blease and Kent our midfield prospects for 2014.

They need to be added to/improved upon for Roos' first season.

Viney, Tyson, Michie, Toumpas, Pick 9, Hogan, Watts, Evans, Kent, and Howe should be able to contribute in there but Jones, Cross, Vince, Matt Jones, Grimes, and McKenzie make up our experienced midfield bodies and that needs improvement.

That is where my head would be as soon as any of the top 25 or 30 kids are off the table for ND 40 and ND57.

I didn't know any genuine questions ended with 'party pooper'... If I was running the recruitment at the Dees Pick 9 would be the best mid we can get from this draft class, Pick 40 would be the last remaining kid that might be there ahead of the best VFL/SANFL/WAFL midfielder that might be there. I see Garlett as a luxury purchase. There would still be strong bodied mids from the state leagues that we would be leaving on the table. I don't know their names because I can't follow it very closely but they would be there. We still need numbers for our midfield for 2014: Jones, Viney, Tyson, Cross, Trengove, Grimes, Michie, McKenzie, Matt Jones, Pick 9, Vince, Toumpas, Hogan, Watts, Evans, Barry, Howe, Jetta, Bail, Nicholson, Blease and Kent our midfield prospects for 2014. They need to be added to/improved upon for Roos' first season. Viney, Tyson, Michie, Toumpas, Pick 9, Hogan, Watts, Evans, Kent, and Howe should be able to contribute in there but Jones, Cross, Vince, Matt Jones, Grimes, and McKenzie make up our experienced midfield bodies and that needs improvement. That is where my head would be as soon as any of the top 25 or 30 kids are off the table for ND 40 and ND57.

A bit of 'tongue in cheek' RPFC.

Fair points, except that I see Garlett as effectively a top 10-20 talent who down the track can build his tank to run trough the midfield.

I believe 'talent' is more important than just 'stocking up' on mids. You can only have so many McKenzies', Bails' and Matt Jones' running around before you're flogging a midfield of dead horsies.

Clearly we're on the same page when it comes to adding to our midfield, (as most are), but there's a difference between just 'stocking up' on mature aged recruits and the like, and taking a highly skilled youngster with some discipline issues. The positive thing is that we have two of the best player development coaches in the business in Roos and Stone.

I hope they take the risk.

• Like 2

IF Roos applies the "Roos NO BS test" and he comes through, why not? Roos isn't going to take him unless he is confident: doesn't make too many errors picking smokerys.

...and if Roos applies the "Roos no small forwards unless you can play some mid time" policy then I think he has no hope of being at Melbourne.

• Like 1

I believe 'talent' is more important than just 'stocking up' on mids. You can only have so many McKenzies', Bails' and Matt Jones' running around before you're flogging a midfield of dead horsies.

I agree, I'm reluctant to add more midfield soldiers at 40 and 57 - I think we've got enough. Definitely not enough class (pick 9) but enough soldiers.

Hence some interest in Garlett but he's not doing himself any favours.

I think a KPD prospect and X factor small fwd mid are more desirable at these picks

• Like 1

The talk over here is that the Kanga's are into him.

If/when Garlett is drafted to an AFL club he will play forward, but may end up playing through the midfield once he develops the tank to do so.

Has the tools to be the next generations Wiz

• Like 1

What if we can pick up a Barlow as opposed to a Magner?

I am a bit sick of picking up kids that are gone two years later.

This is less about Garlett and more about drafting players on what they can do right now as opposed to what they might be able to three years from now.

I would have a rule that any player brought onto the list has to have at least one great to elite facet to their game from the beginning so that they can play a role immediately at AFL level; whether it is speed, winning contested footy, spread and run, skills, etc.

If there is a 22 year old out there that Roos sees as a 'soldier' or a 'role player' I would take him at 40 rather than risk not getting him in the RD.

• Like 1

I think the chances of snaring a Barlow these days are few and far between however Chris Cain is one I've had my eye on for a while and whilst obviously there are a whole batch of other mature age recruits I have no idea about, I would really love to get Cain across to the MFC.

I'm much more confident in our recruiting department as I'm sure everyone else is. The appointment of Taylor was vital, as we're all well aware of the success rate we've had from drafting in previous years. Last year was a big success and I can only hope we'll snag some decent players at pick 40 and 57 or whatever it is.

Garlett is a kid who would only leave a club if he wasn't able to apply himself. He has skills and attributes that 3/4's of our list would die for. Maybe it's some sort of romantic thing, but I can imagine Roos really being a fantastic mentor for a troubled kid like that. He's the best on the business.

If we were to land Cain and Garlett on top of the trade period we've had, I'll be doing cartwheels.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

According to the Hun, the hawks will take him with pick 24

Great-they need more flags and we need more solid citizens so it works out well.

• Like 2

Take the bloke with pick 9 then...

If he is the difference between hypothetical flags and all.

No objections here.

He is "ready to go" so would work well for us.

• Like 1