Do you THINK Neeld will get the axe this week?

Curry & Beer

Do you THINK Neeld will get the axe this week?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

P_man

i believe garrrrry is an ex demon

if you watched every game of 2011, the last 6 should make interesting viewing, no rose coloured glasses are needed

Edited by jazza

Given our financial situation I can't see him being sacked until seasons end, unless of course we cop 4 10 goal+ drubbings over the next month, then Jackson may make the call early.

I think Jackson and the board will use the rest of the season to set up two plans. 1 being securing a very good coach for next year and quality assistants of theri choosing. And 2 a seemless board handover as a show of faith to the supporters.

Senior Coach targets must be the likes of Roos, Matthews, Ayres, Williams and surround them with some quality assistants that can take over after x amount of years as none of the 4 mentioned you'd expect would want to coach for more then 5 years or so. So I'm talking about the likes of Richardson, Bassett, Sumich, Lovett, coaches who have a track record of getting the best out of their players and the players playing for them is what we need.

Either way we're a long way back and sadly I don't believe Neeld is the man to take us forward anymore, however I have no doubt everything that he's done has been with the best of intentions...

• Like 1

Do you think Bailey could have gotten Clark to the Demons?

How can you make up for four years of bad recruiting and player development in 18 months?

No more excuses please. We need a clean out off the field. Simple as that.

Don't think so. The next four weeks could be fairly instructive though, plus the outcome of Peter Jackson's examination of the club.

I can't see how sacking neeld would make our on field performance worse. Another month month of the neeld gameplan could see the lowest crowds possible and our flame extinguished.

• Like 2

yes its working out well,jw is proof that some boys are not ready for senior footy, it was decided to retain younger players for the long term by giving them a year of learning and building up thier bodies at reserve level, not exposing them at senoir level when we cant support them with senior level players at this time, both gc and gws have said this was thier problem also. our fd is changing that very thing that got us into this mess.

the players are FIT, its a mess in the senoir part of the list is pitiful. one of our best players took his eye of the contest twice yesterday. im sure the fd saw it .

remember the fd is putting building blocks in place that will hopefully get us somewhere in the future

if you have a complaint , go and look at the last 6 weeks of 2011 this is the most disgraceful time in our history of administration.

the decisions and on field stuff happening now are results of this,

THATS why should stick this out

How is it working out well when you have kids like Kent and Viney and first year players like Terlich and Jones playing in the firsts, and the players you mentioned that were brought in to bear the brunt of the hard work playing at Casey?

It is the coaches responsibility to ensure the players are fit and they have the required skills to play at this level and our players are neither fit or skilled enough.

It astounds me that there are still some on here that support a coach who clearly doesn't have a clue.

• Like 3

How is it working out well when you have kids like Kent and Viney and first year players like Terlich and Jones playing in the firsts, and the players you mentioned that were brought in to bear the brunt of the hard work playing at Casey?

It is the coaches responsibility to ensure the players are fit and they have the required skills to play at this level and our players are neither fit or skilled enough.

It astounds me that there are still some on here that support a coach who clearly doesn't have a clue.

sorry robbie your right and im just not understanding the problem

i will apologise and agree with everything you say

please let me know your feelings about fresian spring heifers when you get time

Given our financial situation I can't see him being sacked until seasons end, unless of course we cop 4 10 goal+ drubbings over the next month, then Jackson may make the call early.

I think Jackson and the board will use the rest of the season to set up two plans. 1 being securing a very good coach for next year and quality assistants of theri choosing. And 2 a seemless board handover as a show of faith to the supporters.

Senior Coach targets must be the likes of Roos, Matthews, Ayres, Williams and surround them with some quality assistants that can take over after x amount of years as none of the 4 mentioned you'd expect would want to coach for more then 5 years or so. So I'm talking about the likes of Richardson, Bassett, Sumich, Lovett, coaches who have a track record of getting the best out of their players and the players playing for them is what we need.

Either way we're a long way back and sadly I don't believe Neeld is the man to take us forward anymore, however I have no doubt everything that he's done has been with the best of intentions...

It's a given that we will get beaten by more than 10 goals for the next 4 games. In fact I think we will set an AFL/VFL record for average losing margin by year's end. The horrible reality is that we are currently watching the WORST team in the 155 year history of the competition, and as such it's completely uncharted terrain. I really don't think anybody knows what to do. That means the club, the AFL, the supporters, have no clue how to makes things better, because they've never been this bad. There will be change of course, because that's what failure demands, but it will be change based on no knowledge of what else to do.
  • Like 1

P_man

i believe garrrrry is an ex demon

if you watched every game of 2011, the last 6 should make interesting viewing, no rose coloured glasses are needed

Yes, he is, but he will not have anything to do with the NEXT appointment so I don't see what your point is. And again, to hold off on making a decision on such grounds is frankly ludicrous.

We were very poor at times in 2011. I sat in the stands at Subiaco. I remember. But this team now is like nothing I've ever witnessed.

• Like 1

sorry robbie your right and im just not understanding the problem

i will apologise and agree with everything you say

please let me know your feelings about fresian spring heifers when you get time

If you can make any sense out of the response you gave to my previous post you are a genius, either that or you write in some code that I can't decipher.

We could/should/might fire Neeld but the real culprits are the CEO (now gone) and the Board and their incredible knack for dumb decisions.

- The appointment of Neeld

- The treatment of employees (e.g. Flack)

- The treatment of senior players (Junior under Bailey; Rivers/Moloney under Neeld)

- Pompous logo/blazers

- Youth policy incorrectly implemented (2008-12) replaced by bandaid policy (2012-) Pederson, Gillies, Byrnes etc

- Appointment of captains and leadership fiasco in early 2012

- Sponsorship (EnergyWatch) and treatment of sponsors (Hankook)

It's nigh on impossible to defend the Board and their management of this organisation.

• Like 3

Neeld is dead man walking and has been since R1 IMO. His departure will need to be aligned with the changes Jackson wants to make to the overall FD structure. He said yesterday that he has 4 FD people reporting to the CEO effectively making the CEO head of football - IMO those 4 must be Neeld, Craig, Mahoney and Viney. He quite clearly said he needs a strong experienced Head of Football Operations like Geelong (Balme), Hawthorn (Evans until recently) and Collingwood (Eade) - that's not Mahoney and I'm not sure if Jackson knows yet whether it can be Craig or Viney. When Neeld goes whoever takes over as caretaker will be decided in the context of the decisions regarding the FD structure as a whole. Craig, Viney and probably Rawlings are the caretaker alternatives IMO. If say Craig or Viney took over as HFO then they obviously can't be caretaker - I'm not in any way saying that's what will happen - maybe Jackson is looking outside - but if he is then more than just Neeld will have to go. Who wants the poisoned chalice of taking over with our next 4 opponents lined up - but we may have no choice but to act swiftly. It's ugly.

• Like 2

Any new coach must come from a club with a history of success and by that I don't mean getting in to the finals I mean winning them. Collingwood have had plenty of opportunities to win flags but Hawthorn Geelong and Brisbane actually won them. Williams may have got Port in to the Finals several times but after finishing on top for a few years he only won one flag.

Matthews has won flags as a player and as a coach so he's the guy I'd throw a bucket of money at. It may be a small bucket at the moment though.

Any new coach must come from a club with a history of success and by that I don't mean getting in to the finals I mean winning them. Collingwood have had plenty of opportunities to win flags but Hawthorn Geelong and Brisbane actually won them. Williams may have got Port in to the Finals several times but after finishing on top for a few years he only won one flag.

Matthews has won flags as a player and as a coach so he's the guy I'd throw a bucket of money at. It may be a small bucket at the moment though.

The problem is Robbie who with half a brain would want the job at any salary level.

This like taking over as captain of the Titanic 30 minutes after the Ice berg.

The problem is Robbie who with half a brain would want the job at any salary level.

This like taking over as captain of the Titanic 30 minutes after the Ice berg.

Not if Jackson is true to his word. Get the right people into the place FINALLY.

eg. If it was announced that Roos has been signed that $2 mill debt would be under control in 2-3 weeks.

Coaching Melbourne should be the greatest challenge available within the AFL.

Not interested in anyone currently at our club being a caretaker and that includes Neil Craig

We should first sack that incompetent board that seems to have escaped any scrutiny on past decisions and not invite ex players like Lyon and Co to make more train wreck decisions

To get an ex senior AFL Coach such as Mathews , Roos , Eade , Ayres, Wallace, Williams, Knights or even one who is current like Worsfold or Clarkson and you need to ask the obvious of why would they want to take the job on

IMO we have had too much interference within the football department (Schwab / Connolly)

For us to go forward i think we need the largest broom in the clubs history to get rid of what i and a lot of other supporters deem as a toxic culture

While i don't believe in the curse of norm smith i do think its a similar disease that starts at board level

I really only have 2 coaches i would at least want to interview and that's Alan Richardson and Nathan Bassett although there is sure to be many more worthy of consideration

The problem i see is that we are risking taking on another Rookie Coach

I really think we have little choice

Agree, if we need an interim I would rather go with Rohan Welsh or even see if AD can shake an interim coach free from the tree like he did with Jackson as interim CEO.

Jackson mentioned this a couple of times in his pre-match interview, not in relation to the coach specifically but the club as a whole. He felt he could attract some good football people on the back of it, which gave me another glimmer of hope.

• Like 2

I can't see why people can't get it through their collective heads.......Roos will not coach Melbourne..... not this week not in two weeks time....Not EVER......

• Like 1

Yes, he is, but he will not have anything to do with the NEXT appointment so I don't see what your point is. And again, to hold off on making a decision on such grounds is frankly ludicrous.

We were very poor at times in 2011. I sat in the stands at Subiaco. I remember. But this team now is like nothing I've ever witnessed.

Actually, in the majority of quarters this year, this team has played remarkably similar to the one that took the field in Geelong for 186. They've jogged around and shown little care or pride in the jumper or supporters that bother to turn up to support them.

• Like 1

At this point in time, with this playing group, I'd say second greatest.

The greatest challenge would be playing in Melbourne's backline.

• Like 1

At this point in time, with this playing group, I'd say second greatest.

The greatest challenge would be playing in Melbourne's backline.

That, or the bloke in charge of convincing Jesse Hogan to stick around.

Not unless there's an immediate "Quality" proven coach out there who's waiting in the wings. Even if there was we'd have to pay him massive overs. Money we don't have. In addition he would want to bring a new team of line coaches, development coaches and his own recruitment manager in. Plus he would probably want a financial commitment from the board (read AFL) on footy spend for the 3 years (or whatever) that he's contracted for so he knows the $$ for the FD and his strategy/set up/personell up will keep flowing and not be cut after the first year or 2.

Peter Jackson hasn't been in the place long enough to handle something so mega either i would think. He would do better (and would no doubt be under some sort of soft instruction higher up the AFL chain) to complete his review of the club from the top down and put forth his recommendations. The rot starts at the top. Finish this part first before commencing a clean out and refurb of the FD.

Neeld to remain till close to season's end IMO. I don't think anyone could salvage much from this mess if we were to appoint a caretaker between now and the end of year anyway. Although more damage could potentially be done i guess and we could see some senior (and less senior) players walking at year's end. I think this will happen regardless, it's just a matter of how many take up their bed and walk.

Edited by Rusty Nails