Suggestions of moving the Dee's to Tasmania

alias275

Read this article this morning.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/04/30/victorian-afl-club-must-relocate-to-tasmania/

They have been talking for a while about starting or relocating a club to Tasmania (Hobart) and Ronan O'Connel thinks the Melbourne Football Club is the perfect candidate. Reasons explained in the article.

What's the Demonlanders opinion on this one?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/04/30/victorian-afl-club-must-relocate-to-tasmania/

They have been talking for a while about starting or relocating a club to Tasmania (Hobart) and Ronan O'Connel thinks the Melbourne Football Club is the perfect candidate. Reasons explained in the article.

So who the f...is Ronan O'Connel and why should we read his gibberish?

• Like 7

The MCC would not have a bar of it.

• Like 2

Not a chance the Roos would move there before us. I know we are sh*t on the field but as stated we aren't doing to badly money wise. The roos I'm pretty sure have nothing and the same with the Bulldogs (who still have less supportrs than us even after making the prelims for 4 years). We just need to get through this bad patch in our clubs history and start winning games and our membership will rise and then the microcope will be on someone else.

Well JB has already come out and said it won't be North Melbourne anytime he's in the Chairman position of the club.They don't want to move the Dogs as it's the Western Suburbs only team.

Though I can't see why a relocation is the best answer. If there is so much home grown talent and support in Tasmania, they could't be any worse than GWS.

Plus if we do have a NZ team enter as well, we don't go back to bye rounds. I hate bye rounds.

• Like 1

That's

That's funny!! A team called Melbourne playing out of Tasmania. I think Melbourne will continue playing out of Melbourne. Just a thought mind you.

• Like 4

Lets move the oldest club in the comp and start a new one with it.... don't think it's at such a desperate point yet, just quietly

I am going to be harsher than I usually am on this:

Don't read opinion peices of no value and throw them on here and expect kind things and a nice 'conversation.'

This is heart/sleeve stuff here and this is a nobody at a nothing site saying things backed up by his own arse.

I have said this before and I will say it again:

I KNOW THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PR FOR THE TASSIE BID!!

They think it is dead in the water, and has been since Hawthorn re-signed their deal with the Tassie Govt.

There is your relocated team, mouth breathers! They already play 5 games there and have TASMANIA on the f___ing jumper!

So, no, I am not worried, and nor do I want to read the arrogant BS of a half-eloquent, self embued expert from the internets.

rpfc out.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 5

I am going to be harsher than I usually am on this:

Don't read opinion peices of no value and throw them on here and expect kind things and a nice 'conversation.'

This is heart/sleeve stuff here and this is a nobody at a nothing site saying things backed up by his own arse.

I have said this before and I will say it again:

I KNOW THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PR FOR THE TASSIE BID!!

They think it is dead in the water, and has been since Hawthorn re-signed their deal with the Tassie Govt.

There is your relocated team, mouth breathers! They already play 5 games there and have TASMANIA on the f___ing jumper!

So, no, I am not worried, and nor do I want to read the arrogant BS of a half-eloquent, self embued expert from the internets.

rpfc out.

Well put, particularly like the last sentence.

Yeah and we are sponsored by NT Tourism, though we aren't relocating there. Games are played all over Australia to help promote the game, Manuka Oval, Marrara Stadium, Westpac Stadium etc etc.

It was just the first I heard of it and didn't think it would cause such an outcry.

Mods may as well delete. Looks like too many are getting upset already.

I actually think its only a matter of time until one team is relocated to Tassie and another to the NT, maybe even New Zealand. Unfortunatley unless we become a power house we are inline for this. The AFL get bored with the status quo, they meddle with the rules and are always trying to expand the comp. Whether its the Northern Territory Demons, the Tasmanian Kangaroos & the NZ Saints, im not sure but i think it will happen in time.

Tasmanians love their footy, i dont see them changing allegances just becasue a team becomes tasmanian. Im not sure whether its a good idea to relocate poor performing teams, and the Saints have a strong following down there...

Rohan Is a little deranged i feel.

I would have nothing to do with a relocated club.

In fact i would hope they lose.

1996 will not be forgotten.

We have a 100,000 seat stadium that is our home.

Make it work.

• Like 2

We are not there yet I feel. The AFL clearly wants a team called Melbourne in the league and will do their best to keep us alive. On that end, I could imagine that Fitzroy supporters might be feeling somewhat bitter at this.
Best way to shut this up is to win. We have always had money troubles since I started following the Dees but the more vocal haters tend to quieten down when we are winning games.

Haha seriously what do you think the Demonlander's opinion will be on this one??

• Like 1

If we played 12 games at the MCG and 12 games elsewhere Tasmania would be fine by me. As long as we get the same benefits as the 2 new clubs

• Like 1

There was a similar article by David Penberthy in the Murdoch rags 2 Saturdays back. Not sure who he is or who was behind the story but Tasmania cannot sustain a team in its own right.

• Like 1

Haha seriously what do you think the Demonlander's opinion will be on this one??

Not every person here has the same opinion as you.

It was only 3 weeks ago some forum members were planning to never attend a MCG game again and hand back their memberships.

Not a chance the Roos would move there before us. I know we are sh*t on the field but as stated we aren't doing to badly money wise. The roos I'm pretty sure have nothing and the same with the Bulldogs (who still have less supportrs than us even after making the prelims for 4 years). We just need to get through this bad patch in our clubs history and start winning games and our membership will rise and then the microcope will be on someone else.

Absolutely agree with your last point cunnerz. However, we are perhaps only doing ok money wise because the AFL tips a lot of money into us each year. If they didn't, we would be a financial basket case again.

Not every person here has the same opinion as you.

It was only 3 weeks ago some forum members were planning to never attend a MCG game again and hand back their memberships.

I would rather see the MFC die than become part of Tasmania.

We are Melbourne, which last time i looked was the capitol city of the state of Victoria.

The End.

• Like 2