Too early to say we stuffed up (again) in not picking Wines?

P-man

I wanted Toumpas. He was a classier junior with far better footskills. Wines is a ferocious bull, but he's an ordinary kick.

That said, I'm nervous. I saw Flower and Healy as 18 year olds, younger than Toumpas, and they belonged straight away - no question. I'll reserve judgment, but as stated I'm nervous about this one.

Wingard (pick 4 2011) looked pretty damn average in his first year last year. Now i've seen him twice this year, he has really come on. IIRC he was also drafted straight out of the SANFL.

Wines was always going to impact straight away. Everyone needs to stop blowing their loads early and give Jimmy T a couple of years.

Edited by LeBron James
  • Like 3

Watching the draft, I was furious when MFC chose Toumpas ahead of Wines, however in fairness we must give Toumpas time - circumstances change and maybe he will fit in well when we choose another hard, in and under midfielder - sometimes the order of events does not matter in the longer term.

Wines is a fantastic player and no mistake. But hang on a minute, it was Todd Viney who made the call - a man who knows Wines extremely well and still reckoned Toumpas had the edge. Time will tell, but you can't say it was an ignorant choice.

Don't stop at Wines.

Our midfield should be Nicnat,Dangerfield,Viney & Wines for the next 15 years.

But our hack recruiters think Morton will be better than Dangerfield.

MY GOD!!!

They are three games into their careers, both completely different types of players and Toumpas is playing in a side that is a complete basket case right now....

Of course Wines is going to be a better prospect straight of the bat with his style of play and body type! The kids over 80kgs for Christ's sake!!!

What a disgrace this entire thread is...

• Like 4

But our hack recruiters think Morton will be better than Dangerfield.

5 other clubs all picked players after Morton and before Dangerfield too.

Sometimes players just don't live up to their expectations. NFI why everyone seems to think that only our club got it wrong when other clubs are passing on certain players too.

MY GOD!!!

They are three games into their careers, both completely different types of players and Toumpas is playing in a side that is a complete basket case right now....

Of course Wines is going to be a better prospect straight of the bat with his style of play and body type! The kids over 80kgs for Christ's sake!!!

What a disgrace this entire thread is...

It's not about who is the better player, or who will be the better player, it's about needs and at the moment and in the near future, Wines would be more suitable for us.

We have Jones and Viney struggling to get the clearance out of the centre and no one to help them; Wines would be perfect. He can mark, he can kick goals, and he's great inside, which is exactly what we need at the moment.

Jimmy may be a great player but we may not be around to see him reach his potential; we don't need caviar at the moment we need meat pies.

• Like 1

And to think some people on here reckon he will join us one day haha why would he come to this basket case of a football club! If anything it will be Viney going up there for success..

"Up there?"

I think someone needs a map.

We are questioning Toumpas after 3 games wtf!

Start having a crack @ Sylvia who for almost 10yrs has failed to deliver & become a real leader! If he put the same effort into his preperation & game day as he did @ Riva bar on Sat nite drinking binge!

Have a crack @ our development of our players, bloddy shocking!

People writting this kid off allready...what a joke!

• Like 1

Lets not make this Nicnat v Watts mark 2

Get a coach in there who will show the boys some lovin along with a game plan that can be followed and our boys will improve massively.

Unfortunately we will have to wait a little longer for this to happen.

Edited by DemonOX

Yes it is.

Well if it is, then we won't know for a while yet will we?

But in the next two years I reckon Wines will do a lot more than Jimmy will and at this stage it could be more than two years.

Some on here are still waiting for Lucas Cook to develop, I was told to hang and wait for the development to kick in, like that was ever going to happen.

Why can't we have all three when the time arrives, GWS did it with Scully & Freo did it with Lyon, this is a ruthless business and he wont be coming cheap if he continues the way he started. If he does we should be in his ear in the off season and start putting offers on the table before Port start offering him a new contract next season. Put the idea in the kids head fcuk being nice it gets you nowhere!

It's not about who is the better player, or who will be the better player, it's about needs and at the moment and in the near future, Wines would be more suitable for us.

I would argue that it is exactly the opposite, where Toumpas fills a much bigger hole in our list than Wines could fill.

• Like 3

they've both played only 3 games! give me a break. Wines is in a midfield which is decent, compared to ours which is ordinary and Viney and Jones are the two having to hold the midfield together. Wines has Cornes, Boak and probably westhoff ahead of him atm so he would have great freedom and wouldn't have the pressure on him that Viney does.

Toumpas is not going to have anywhere near as much impact on games as he doesn't have the body to do so yet. Also considering our tough, in and under mids aren't winning much of the ball atm he naturally won't get much ball either. He is what me need as he is a classy user of the abll which we need desperately as the only other that comes to mind that does the same is Watts.

• Like 1

Toumpas was considered by many as a genuine top 2 pick, it would have been a massive decision to overlook him @ 4.. Make no mistake the kid will be a star

Are you talking about Jack Watts or Toumpas? :P

Christ there are some peanuts here.

Perhaps I should've put "no disrespect to Toumpas" in bold.

Here, let me try it.

Disclaimer: No disrespect to Toumpas intended. This is not a crack at Toumpas, he's 3 games in. But Wines' impact has been immediate and it has been significant. One can't help but question if he is EXACTLY what our side needed over this season and the next, rather than a player who by most admissions will take some time to develop.

I think Toumpas may been a selection on the back of presuming the side was well ahead of where it actually is, in terms of its development. Next week we'll get an indication as to whether we sit second last or dead last in that department.

Edited by P_Man