Aaron Davey - the future?

jumbo returns

I always thought this is one of the more unforgivable sins of a footy player and something I've hated about our team. The other bloke might be a better kick than you, but a VFL player can shepherd. One of the things that I hope is fixed about our new beut team is backing each other up. I was so rapt when Watts and Rivers did it on the boundary last season.

edit: have no clue how to spell bewt colloquially.

You did OK just add an 'a' in the middle and you will be a little beaut.

• Like 1

Amen. A lot forget how he was tagged to death and no one would run interference (either too lazy or not good enough) so Bailey stuck him as the distributor out of the back line where he excelled.

Then he had the injury crisis.

Now he is getting a fitness base.

He now has players around him now that will deal out punishment to anyone causing Aaron problems.

What I have a problem with is that when he has a good year this year, no one here will put up his hand and say I am sorry I was wrong.

And most of you forget his contributions to the bros.

Aaaahhh!! I think I am talking to the trees again.

If he becomes good again I will be the first to say Yes ,I wrote him off .

Last year was bad for so many reasons i do not understand .

He looked finished for good to me in 2012.

I will be happy if he gets back to his early form.

he looked unfit ,injured ,tired and at times scared last year.

I must confess that I'm one of those who only a month or so ago believed that his career was over and rather than endure the sad sight of a club stalwart fading into obscurity at Casey, it might have been for the best if he retired and took up a post at the club in a coaching or mentoring capacity. Ultimately, I think the Flash definitely has a future in these areas.

However, from all reports he has been training particularly well and here's hoping that he can re-invent himself and play a role in our resurgence in 2013.

Anyhow, I think I was wrong in those initial assessments.

• Like 2

I gotta feel that this will be his last season, and with that in mind I'd like him to finish well. I can't see him being a consistent best 22 player but I can see him coming in every now and then and occasionally having an impact.

Good luck to him, he's done it tough for a while now.

Although he won his B&F primarily playing on ball, I wonder whether the physical efforts required (crunching tackles, endurance running) caused Davey's decline. If so, that was another mistake by the footy department at the time (although admittedly easier to recognise in hindsight). Perhaps playing small forward with just an occasional turn on ball might rejuvenate his body and his career.

I agree and have always maintained that Cam Bruce and Brad Green were affected the same way with the need to make them more defensive and plug gaps. They were out and out strikers ( to use a soccer term) who created and scored goals but after their defensive times lost that shock value.

Davey was always defensive in attack with his speed and ability to read play. He easily adapted to the pure defensive role.

I hope he can provide that forward spark that he was always displaying, his beautiful delivery will always be enjoyed.

Blocking for Flash?

Gotta be kidding me....

The player that needed help last year (and could have won a Brownlow) was Nathan Jones.

Unfortunately, Davey is finished.

I don't think people were saying it was for Devey in 2012.

The fact that no-one helped Jones in the middle last year does not lessen the fact (it really only highlights it...) that we have had a selfish culture where players won't sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the team.

That affected Jones last year in the same way it affected Flash when he was our premier midfielder in 08-10.

I'll reserve judgement until I see him out on the field.

The memory of Davey sulking on field last year is still very fresh.

I used to single out Al Nicholson for his sulking when things didn't go well, but I realised towards the end that it was systemic throughout the team and that this pathetic attitude and body language was rooted in the leaders and that singling out the flagrant ones was unfair.

Thankfully, we are getting some actual character into the team with the likes of Jones, Grimes, and Clark. Not to mention Jack Viney who will shame others with his onfield attitude...

• Like 1

I used to single out Al Nicholson for his sulking when things didn't go well, but I realised towards the end that it was systemic throughout the team and that this pathetic attitude and body language was rooted in the leaders and that singling out the flagrant ones was unfair.

Thankfully, we are getting some actual character into the team with the likes of Jones, Grimes, and Clark. Not to mention Jack Viney who will shame others with his onfield attitude...

The difference in Nicholson to Davey is about 4yrs and 2 million, Nicholson had goals kicked on him and Davey ducks his head, your clever figure it out yourself.

Just checking in with all the critics, were 4 weeks out from nab cup and every report I have seen is boasting positive signs for Aaron. Looking fitter, skills sharp, running improving. A few said he wouldn't make it through pre season without retiring. I watched him in competitive drills last week and he was a stand out. Clean, agile and strong in the contest. Fingers crossed he gets a kick on game day.

we all hope so. lets see if he can handle a tag and not drop his head. its January and a bit early to getcocky. he has a bit of respect to recover.

• Like 1

I'll reserve judgement until I see him out on the field.

The memory of Davey sulking on field last year is still very fresh.

I'm with you Sloonie. It made me cringe to watch it Has a long way to go to make it up hope he can but i think age is against him

Oak tree.

In relation to blocking?

It's a prerequisite for any team to look after its midfielders.

Nate Jones was completely butchered last year by close checking, negative footballers and none of our players helped him - check out the Freo game.

To suggest that someone starts blocking for Davey is just plain ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this an exaggeration or has anyone noticed Davey doing better at training?

Aaron Davey back in frame at Melbourne Demons

"After a slow start to the pre-season, the Melbourne veteran turned heads with his performance on the club's Darwin training camp, thrusting him back into calculations for early-season senior selection."

"After a slow start to the pre-season, the Melbourne veteran turned heads with his performance on the club's Darwin training camp, thrusting him back into calculations for early-season senior selection."

Indeed he has improved, he has come off a low base but his skills are still in the top 3 at the club. He his working hard to build that fitness base required. It would be a massive boost if he can get back to some ongoing form. Will he be able run out the full season is my question.

This is no exaggeration at all if we're going on the way he presents and his training performance. It's a credit to him and the work he's put in during the "off season". Let's hope that he can prove himself in the place that matters ultimately being the football field in the heat of battle. At least the All Star Game on Friday night will give us a glimpse of what he might show us in 2013.

Well I would be the happiest bloke around if Davey can get it back together. In fact it would be a comeback of almost Lazarus proportions because his form AND attitude over the past two have stunk. Yes he has had some minor injuries but he has thrown in the towel on too many occasions mid-game.

If he does I will take my hat off to him as it appears he has upped his workrate bigtime at training

• Like 2

Well I would be the happiest bloke around if Davey can get it back together. In fact it would be a comeback of almost Lazarus proportions because his form AND attitude over the past two have stunk. Yes he has had some minor injuries but he has thrown in the towel on too many occasions mid-game.

If he does I will take my hat off to him as it appears he has upped his workrate bigtime at training

Would be a huge boost for the club to have Davey fit and in form again. I have to wonder what impact having players like Rodan and Byrnes at the club would have had on him, and his desire to get back in there for what must be his last chance on the list.

I take it you are using your medical degree and years of experience to say he has had minor injuries,only or do you know for a fact they were

I take it you are using your medical degree and years of experience to say he has had minor injuries,only or do you know for a fact they were

+1 to that.

How can we judge how bad his knee has been?

I don't think he's given it his all as last year he was losing to big Leigh Williams in the endurance running but that isn't to say his knee hasn't been very serious. We saw Bartram retire due to a degenerative knee and a host of others slow down with knee troubles.

I hope he's turned the corner and got his knee up to a level that lets him compete and if the side is bettered structured this year he'll actually be able to play at the feet of big blokes (Dawes, Pedersen, Clark) and make an impact.

Edited by the master
  • Like 1