Demetriou Must Go

Range Rover

Has The Bloated One Run His Race?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What makes it so?

Bull has already been in charge of a multi-billion dollar china shop, a.k.a. the State of Victoria

He has no real administrative experience, his role at Hawthorn was president which is akin to being chairman of the AFL and the State is pretty much run by senior bureaucrats with a bit of meddling by the pollies. It was his meddling at Hawthorn that saw Robson move to Essendon, maybe not such a bad thing for them now.

What makes it so?

Bull has already been in charge of a multi-billion dollar china shop, a.k.a. the State of Victoria

in the football world he has a record of proposing many high risk (and controversial) suggestions at odds with the afl administration

hard to see the current afl board of management would entertain appointing him to the CEO position

they also have a succession plan in place

he is viewed by many as a loose cannon

p.s. the state of victoria was not a china shop when he took over, it was a doss house in need of revolutionary change

his record as premier was hailed by some and abhorred by others. to say the least it was controversial

Everything fundamental to the integrity of the game has been allowed to carry on under it's own inertia for a decade.

Major initiatives and policies have been introduced or managed without proper preparation and a shocking lack of forethought.

Problems which should have been hit hard and resolved, like the stadium deals and club inequality, have been allowed to fester. Free agency has been a fiasco. The new clubs have been a fiasco.

An executive's job is supposed to be about strategy, and concentrating on significant issues. Instead Mr Demetriou follows the issue of the moment, whatever happens in the spotlight - did we really need a multimillion dollar CEO to take the time to tell off Callan Ward's mum for say that the pressure on her son was unpleasant?

Actually, the 'Callan Ward's mum' piece of idiocy just sums up the whole Demetriou tenure - create a farcical and embarrassing situation, the get your loudspeaker out to shout down anyone, anyone at all, who suggests that things are not quite ok.

• Like 2

As I see it the main problem with AD's administration is their arbitrary enforcing of the rules, no more evident than in their investigation of us & ignoring other clubs

• Like 1

in the football world he has a record of proposing many high risk (and controversial) suggestions at odds with the afl administration

hard to see the current afl board of management would entertain appointing him to the CEO position

they also have a succession plan in place

he is viewed by many as a loose cannon

p.s. the state of victoria was not a china shop when he took over, it was a doss house in need of revolutionary change

his record as premier was hailed by some and abhorred by others. to say the least it was controversial

Aside from having the succession plan in place - and that can change - i don't think the other stuff necessarily disqualifies him from the CEO's gig.

There's nothing extraordinary about a club president / CEO being at odds with head office.

Ross Oakley was a controversial AFL CEO, loathed by many, but nonetheless stayed in the job for the better part of a decade.

His record as Premier is neither here nor there.

Everything fundamental to the integrity of the game has been allowed to carry on under it's own inertia for a decade.

Major initiatives and policies have been introduced or managed without proper preparation and a shocking lack of forethought.

Problems which should have been hit hard and resolved, like the stadium deals and club inequality, have been allowed to fester. Free agency has been a fiasco. The new clubs have been a fiasco.

An executive's job is supposed to be about strategy, and concentrating on significant issues. Instead Mr Demetriou follows the issue of the moment, whatever happens in the spotlight - did we really need a multimillion dollar CEO to take the time to tell off Callan Ward's mum for say that the pressure on her son was unpleasant?

Actually, the 'Callan Ward's mum' piece of idiocy just sums up the whole Demetriou tenure - create a farcical and embarrassing situation, the get your loudspeaker out to shout down anyone, anyone at all, who suggests that things are not quite ok.

I agree pretty much with what you are saying here and I think part of the problem is that his salary package is tied up with the $'s he brings in. This added to arrogance is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

Aside from having the succession plan in place - and that can change - i don't think the other stuff necessarily disqualifies him from the CEO's gig.

There's nothing extraordinary about a club president / CEO being at odds with head office.

Ross Oakley was a controversial AFL CEO, loathed by many, but nonetheless stayed in the job for the better part of a decade.

His record as Premier is neither here nor there.

never said he couldn't do it.....just said it won't happen

but that's just an opinion at the end of the day

Mods - can we please enforce a rule that in any future polls posted by Rangey, that there is a compulsory option of "The option I support is not there, so instead of being railroaded in to picking something I don't agree with, I will take the easy way out and vote for this"?

I mean, we all would love to participate in Rangey's polls, but in 5 years time, he can't slap us across the face with his hindsight replies.

• Like 1

Whilst I couldn't care less atm, IMO if our club is to be charged with the current investigation and face heavy sanctions, he should go having said what he said and supporting us through 2009/10. Having created the environment and stigma under the priority pick system. And if the AFL Commission want to follow the integrity path, well he must go.

I'm unsure on AD with the current situation with Essendon and the investigation into drugs/peptides etc. It could be in time one of his better moments in the job (helping) cleaning the sport up under his watch.

Illicit drugs, there's another issue....ATM he's collar would be a little tight around his neck. But allegedly no where near as tight as it was for him in the late 90's among the royal blue and white.

Little Goffy - Sydney's Dale Lewis was another that got shouted down.

• Like 1

Mods - can we please enforce a rule that in any future polls posted by Rangey, that there is a compulsory option of "The option I support is not there, so instead of being railroaded in to picking something I don't agree with, I will take the easy way out and vote for this"?

I mean, we all would love to participate in Rangey's polls, but in 5 years time, he can't slap us across the face with his hindsight replies.

not a problem anymore

rangey was banned again by rhino today for highlighting sexual innuendo by another poster re rhino's favourite gal

you can read about it on land ology

Edited by daisycutter

not a problem anymore

rangey was banned again by rhino today for highlighting sexual innuendo by another poster re rhino's favourite gal

you can read about it on land

Hope Rhino's fav gal isn't Sheryl Crow, otherwise I'm off on a holiday too...!!!

DC - PM me what what was said. Poor Rangey, it's like that fling you have on a footy trip with a hot backpacker. Great while it lasted, but out of our lives far too soon.

not a problem anymore

What!

today is too much for me.

I think I will take a bex and have a long lie down.

not a problem anymore

You mean 'ology :-) Funny how the "slander"/"conjecture" is allowed to go on unabated with regards to clubs, players and selected journos, yet CW is out of bounds.

not a problem anymore

what?

Rangey back in the Cooler!!

This is worse than "Papillion"...

• Like 1

what?

seems he made a joke referencing something I said.

A sad day when the fun police get bent up

• Like 1

This has happened on his watch and it appears that he's been asleep at the wheel; how could it have got to this sad state of affairs.

The pressure on the clubs and players is incredible and it's win at all costs now, there is no fun in football now for the players the clubs or the supporters.

Regardless of wether vlad is the head puppet, or some other guy whom i never herd of before...... the game will still be corrupt..... The fixture, the draft, the salary cap...... Everything in AFL today is balanced toward money and I don't think it will ever change.... We've all know the game is corrupt, there's just nothing we can do about it..... We've allow money to rule for to long....

• Like 1

This has happened on his watch and it appears that he's been asleep at the wheel; how could it have got to this sad state of affairs.

The pressure on the clubs and players is incredible and it's win at all costs now, there is no fun in football now for the players the clubs or the supporters.

We can make our own fun Robbie .

We need to drown out the PA at the G.Or get it stopped during the game .

Wilson's article in today's Age..]

Stopped reading there.

I have absolutely zero interest in her view of anything.

On the subject of Vlad, he's done a pretty damn good job regarding equalisation, tv rights, and generally raising the profile of the code. We will await to see the extent of drugs linkages and how particular this is to the AFL, but overall he's done nothing thus far that warrants getting a tap on the shoulder.

what?

Cool Hand Rangey cant do another spell so soon.

There are some Bosses out there determined to get that boys mind right .

I don't like it ,any more than you men.

Cool Hand Rangey cant do another spell so soon.

There are some Bosses out there determined to get that boys mind right .

I don't like it ,any more than you men.

hope he has that baseball to bounce off the wall....

Two months for daring to criticise the Queen; it upsets a few here.

Some men, you just can't reach.

Rule Britainnia.