"Tanking"

Whispering_Jack

But were they trying to lose?

There is a difference between winning not being a top priority and wanting to lose.

Not only were they wanting to lose they were doing everything possible to lose.

I'm astonished you need to even ask the question.

If a sticking point is the wording of the charges laid against us what can the AFL do? I would imagine we are hell bent on not having the charges of match fixing laid against us. They can't name it tanking or trying to get draft picks. You can't fine us and suspend people under the charge of being naughty. The AFL may be holding this up because they are clueless to the wording of the charges.

I expect that's been the sticking point for some time. How to justify/word a charge of "not-tanking, jut waving", but still do enough to MFC to justify 8 months of investigating.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

I stand corrected Ben, Wilson is consistent, consistently pathetic. I am sure you agree that her vendetta against us has seen no balance in her articles?

I am still struggling with all of this, as my info is that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of the MFC actually tanking in the report. No one has said we actually tanked. Even McLean recanted his ambiguous statement that started it all.

I repeat that the strongest thing coming out of the report, on my info, is the so called "vault" statement of Connolly, whcih Bailey has said was a joke and which he totally ignored. Bailey's Solicitor said he denied tanking and will contest any finding that he did.

It has been suggested in the media, that the statements that have been made, have apparently led to complaints from some of those making them, that they were recorded inaccurately and done under coercion and intimidation.

Given that the vault statement is a private in house statement, how does it bring the game into disrepute without the 7 month investigation that is leaked to the media before it is even shown to the alleged culprit?

The rule is unclear and ambiguous, as to "perform on your merits" and tanking is not defined other than the CEO's definition of instructing players to lose, which didn't happen.

Other clubs despite more initial evidence than McLean's statement, are not being investigated, suggesting either an approval of what was done or an unwillingness to take on stronger clubs. In other words "Bias" is being shown in the administration of the competition.

If the above is true, no wonder the MFC don't want to settle and its lawyers want to litigate if it is charged.

BTW. Jason McGrath a former Lions player, today said he sold drugs to Lions players and assisted them with match fixing and spot fixing, several years ago. Do you think that will be investigated, considering it involves serious matters, against a beloved interstate club of the AFL?

Great summing up. And incidentally, the Jason McGrath allegations about Brisbane are definitely in the "Defcon 1" category. So it will be clear bias (read, hypocrisy) if the AFL having acted on Brock McLean's big mouth, simply accept Brisbane's bleating over McGrath and fail to have a proper investigation.

We are waiting and watching, AFL...

I stand corrected Ben, Wilson is consistent, consistently pathetic. I am sure you agree that her vendetta against us has seen no balance in her articles?

You really have become a victim.

There's no "vendetta". She's just a woman that is never wrong. First one I've met.

And she's no Rhodes Scholar.

I take it you don't disagree with me on Hird.

• Like 1

How can they punish us without deciding on what we have done first?

Heres a fine but we dont know what its for yet.

Wow

And as well, lay the charges and penalties at the same time, without a hearing. Assuming of course we haven't come to an agreement.

That would involve a flagrant denial of Natural Justice and make a Court Appeal a monty to win.

• Like 2

Great summing up. And incidentally, the Jason McGrath allegations about Brisbane are definitely in the "Defcon 1" category. So it will be clear bias (read, hypocrisy) if the AFL having acted on Brock McLean's big mouth, simply accept Brisbane's bleating over McGrath and fail to have a proper investigation.

We are waiting and watching, AFL...

Did this Jason McGrath ever play for Brisbane?

How can they punish us without deciding on what we have done first?

Heres a fine but we dont know what its for yet.

Wow

It was a point raised by Healy tonight on 3aw. They can't call it match fixing. That is a massive charge and a fine and some suspensions doesn't fit with a match fixing charge. They are going to have to make up a charge. It sounds ridiculous but someone will have to make up some sort of charge for what we know as tanking.

You really have become a victim.

There's no "vendetta". She's just a woman that is never wrong. First one I've met.

And she's no Rhodes Scholar.

I take it you don't disagree with me on Hird.

I don't disagree on Hird.

What are your answers to the rest of my post?

It was a point raised by Healy tonight on 3aw. They can't call it match fixing. That is a massive charge and a fine and some suspensions doesn't fit with a match fixing charge. They are going to have to make up a charge. It sounds ridiculous but someone will have to make up some sort of charge for what we know as tanking.

One can only assume that the AFL is getting some legal advice on all of this?

• Like 3

One can only assume that the AFL is getting some legal advice on all of this?

Yeah of course. Maybe they should have got some before opening this investigation. Can anyone seriously think of how they could word this charge without pissing us off so much that we fight the charge but at the same time justifies the existence of the investigation?

• Like 1

Many years ago I decided I didn't like my backyard and decided to completely re do it, well a month or so down the track I thought to myself "why in God's name did you decide to do this". I finished up having to get a landscaper in and it cost me an absolute fortune. I decided at that time never to go in to any major project until I'd completely thought it through.

I wonder if the AFL are thinking than now? (and i don't mean my backyard)

• Like 7

Many years ago I decided I didn't like my backyard and decided to completely re do it, well a month or so down the track I thought to myself "why in God's name did you decide to do this". I finished up having to get a landscaper in and it cost me an absolute fortune. I decided at that time never to go in to any major project until I'd completely thought it through.

I wonder if the AFL are thinking than now? (and i don't mean my backyard)

Absolutely that is their thinking. AA would have received a few kidney punches on the way out.

• Like 1

The one person who put the game into disrepute is the bloke who runs the competition, the man who said nobody tanks and the man who, under his watch, allowed a selective investigation into one club that followed his dictums and ignored half a dozen others.

There is a word for this but whichever way you look at it, this man is guilty.

Now let someone investigate him.

Liked it so much he bought 4 whilst over there, but was annoyed they couldn't freight them.

I reckon he'd be Greek, with bricks & mortar.

Please explain DL. Are you saying that it's typical of people of Greek ancestry to buy up real estate? Cause that would kinda be superficial cultural stereotyping wouldn't it?

And your evidence is? You are an arrogant little man aren't you. I'm astonished I'm wasting my time respondi..... ah bugger it!

I have put him on ignore but is there a way that I can ignore replies to him rom others. I find Ben Hur to be a tool of the highest order. By me saying this it is probably feeding the troll anyway.

It would look amazing in court with the afl trying to explain how they arrived at a series of penalties and then sat down to decide what charges the mfc were to be charged with

no doubt the subpoenaing of the afl's documentation would make interesting reading and cross examination in court

it would be schadenfreude if we could actually seize their computers

i can dream

• Like 1

What are the odds that the AFL Commission members have not read the entire report, yet are going to sanction a club without a hearing. Assuming of course that it is not an agreed result.

Why in heaven's name would they need to read the report. Wilson and Niall have already pronounced their guilt. That's all that's needed.

I've got it!

"List Man aug'ment" the direputable act of failing to provide a decent list. bringing the game into unbalance.

Please explain DL. Are you saying that it's typical of people of Greek ancestry to buy up real estate? Cause that would kinda be superficial cultural stereotyping wouldn't it?

LoL. No, my greek freinds parents always said invest in bricks & mortar, & work in food industry. People have to eat & have shelter. & they didn't like paying too much Tax.

I was wondering that vlad may take an opportunity to buy an Island or 3, whilst over there on LSL.

With the money he's on, I'm sure his brother could advise him on his accounts & how much he could afford to spend.

So, a little sarcasm at Vlads best work done. and the Commissions best also.

• Like 2