Which Ex-Demons Will Thrive?

stuie

Gysberts possibly has the most potential but it's up to him . He's been given another chance and some players need the 'riot act' read to them in order to get a proper response . It certainly won't be our clubs fault if he does fire - he was given every opportunity .

Rivers may do ok - especially in that system at Geelong . Martin's only real chance is if he's the 1st ruck . Hard to know with Moloney - depends on how Voss wants to use him . Same goes for Morton and how Worsfold uses him .

Like others, I'm way more interested in how our existing players go in their 2nd year under Neeld . So many of them had average/ordinary season's and need to lift . Watching all our new recruits will be fascinating

Edited by Macca

I see a few posters mentioning that Morton wil thrive on the expansion wings of Subi. The last time I was at the 'G' it looked pretty expansive. West Coast play a fierce combative style of footy and sadly that game style would be totally foreign to Cale.

They do but the likes of Embley & Gaff stay free in spaces between half back and wing to be the link between defence and attack, they clear the ball frequently via this route. I have also seen them clear back and wide slighly to Gaff who motors down the wing into space draws a man then centres for Lynch and or Darling to crash a pack.

Morton will be able to play this role and if he gets his confidence up he could have a good year. Still don't regret letting him go he was done with us, hard decisions needed to be made

Another what if thread

History has shown discarded footballers that thrive at another club is a very very low percentage

The greatest example i can remember where a straight swap had extreme difference in the performance of the 2 players concerned were Billy Barrot and Ian Stewart and that was decades ago

History is strewn with John Pitura stories

As far as i am concerned one your an ex demon then your the opposition period

I am still amazed that one of the highest paid players in the league who was an ex demon has not shown much at all

The departure of Tom Scully may turn out to be a blessing

As usual only time will tell

• Like 1

No pessimism - just a lack of interest in the past. The future is all that matters and man, it is so bright. You'll know me at the G this year. I'll be the guy in sunglasses shielding my eyes from the brilliance emanating from the team as it runs onto the ground. Go Dees! It's going to be a great year. How's the diet?

Now that is more like it.

Slowed to a crawl over Christmas but back on the wagon yesterday.

Another what if thread

History has shown discarded footballers that thrive at another club is a very very low percentage

The greatest example i can remember where a straight swap had extreme difference in the performance of the 2 players concerned were Billy Barrot and Ian Stewart and that was decades ago

I do not think that you can say this about Darren Jolly (squeezed out by White) or Scott Thompson (who admittedly deserted us of his own accord). We have made quite a few blues along the way.

Oh yeah,I forgot Gysberts.

I wonder why I forgot..

Maybe because he just never amounted to anything except for one good game I can remember.

Yep had potential....and Skill. But didnt apply it.Lazy.

We dont do lazy at MFC any longer. Lazy will be booted at the first opportunity by Mark Neeld.

It doent matter who it is any more.

Who says WC have the best. They have plenty of failures like all other teams, their team list each week is pretty consistent so it questions about the other 20 odd blokes on the list and how well they are developing for depth? But they do have a lot of money to throw at players and the second tier players do hang around. I think think Morton will make it as I dont think he has the mental drive. Bennell I think will as he was the focus of interviews then and recently whereas Morton hasn't been mentioned at all in the press.

Money says they have the best.

I think that Strauss is the forgotten man and I'm hoping for a good season from him. If he does come good not only will it be a great story after the terrible injury he had but he will join Blease, Watts, Bail and McKenzie as players picked in Prendergast's first year to succeed. Watts I believe could play the role Goddard played for Saints so successfully and do it exceptionally well. And there is still hope for Jetta who is doing his first full preseason and doing well by all reports.

Barry's second year was Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Gawn and Fitzpatrick. All are still on AFL lists (as is Bennell from the previous year) and they may all carve out AFL careers.

Cook was a clear failure from the next year but Howe and McDonald were outstanding gets from later in the draft with Davis still on a list. The Taggert, Tynan year doesn't count as they'd be on lists anyway.

Barry has been judged very harshly but the reality is only one of his picks in the ND to this stage is a fail. Many of the others have already made it. I recognize that he had many early picks but he also made some very good decisions with later picks and unlike many I don't hold him as a failure. The next two years will tell. The FD failure of course was not with the individual players picked but there failure to pick the right type in that they only picked 3 genuine mids having had 8 top 20 picks in three years.

• Like 3

I think that Strauss is the forgotten man and I'm hoping for a good season from him. If he does come good not only will it be a great story after the terrible injury he had but he will join Blease, Watts, Bail and McKenzie as players picked in Prendergast's first year to succeed. Watts I believe could play the role Goddard played for Saints so successfully and do it exceptionally well. And there is still hope for Jetta who is doing his first full preseason and doing well by all reports.

Barry's second year was Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Gawn and Fitzpatrick. All are still on AFL lists (as is Bennell from the previous year) and they may all carve out AFL careers.

Cook was a clear failure from the next year but Howe and McDonald were outstanding gets from later in the draft with Davis still on a list. The Taggert, Tynan year doesn't count as they'd be on lists anyway.

Barry has been judged very harshly but the reality is only one of his picks in the ND to this stage is a fail. Many of the others have already made it. I recognize that he had many early picks but he also made some very good decisions with later picks and unlike many I don't hold him as a failure. The next two years will tell. The FD failure of course was not with the individual players picked but there failure to pick the right type in that they only picked 3 genuine mids having had 8 top 20 picks in three years.

Barry deserves to be judged harshly, last years ladder proves that.

Last year's ladder proved that we had the worst group of seniors on any AFL list, the kids that Prenders recruited still have time to make it.

In the interest of fairness, whenever Barry's mistakes are raised, his success should be discussed too. Howe and McDonald are super pick-ups and for the picks we used on them will prove to be the best value this club has experienced for as long as I can remember.

If we can get a similar result from one of the later picks from this year's draft I consider that a win. It's the later picks that prove a recruiters worth more so than the early less speculative picks surely.

• Like 1

I'd argue that it's our failure to get early picks right that has hurt us significantly more than anything else over the last 10 years of drafting. Molan, Smith, Bell, McLean, Sylvia, Bate, Dunn, Morton, Frawley, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Tapscott, Scully, Trengove and Cook are all top 20 picks in the last 10 years or so. There are 17 there and Frawley and perhaps Jones aside there isn't much to hang your hat on.

If you don't get the early picks right it doesn't matter what you do later in the draft.

Having said that I think there is a chance that in a year or two we may be singing a different song re Barry.

I'd argue that it's our failure to get early picks right that has hurt us significantly more than anything else over the last 10 years of drafting. Molan, Smith, Bell, McLean, Sylvia, Bate, Dunn, Morton, Frawley, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Tapscott, Scully, Trengove and Cook are all top 20 picks in the last 10 years or so. There are 17 there and Frawley and perhaps Jones aside there isn't much to hang your hat on.

If you don't get the early picks right it doesn't matter what you do later in the draft.

Having said that I think there is a chance that in a year or two we may be singing a different song re Barry.

Fan can you please change your Avatar I seldom read your comments because I have to look at that bloody eye.

It is easier to ignore the whole posting.

Please!

Re above we have picked some poor ones on that we agree.

Well whatever the hell it is can you change it please

It is terrible to look at IMO

Try buy a pack of smokes.

Freaky .

• Like 2

I think "Fan" has unintentionally hijacked the thread about "who of our recent rejects is likely to succeed elsewhere", by discussing the merits of BP's performance.

I'd like to return to the topic.

I reckon Morton will do well at West Coast if he's not injured in the pre-season,and manages to establish a good rapport with his new team- mates.

I think "Fan" has unintentionally hijacked the thread about "who of our recent rejects is likely to succeed elsewhere", by discussing the merits of BP's performance. I'd like to return to the topic. I reckon Morton will do well at West Coast if he's not injured in the pre-season,and manages to establish a good rapport with his new team- mates.

Are you saying he didn't with us??????(have a good report with teamates)

No it doesnt.....

FWIW, I not sure any of the discarded list will make it hard for us.

Some make continue to eek a few more years in AFL but I dont see any likely to make us regret their departure.