AFL investigation

deegirl

I've read this thread, and many other threads and articles regarding the tanking issue. One thing I have to say about what is posted about the topic on Demonland, I'm sick to death of the people who are in the "nothing to see, move along" corner. Can you please remind of a few things?

* This is a public forum, where everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Your opinion is that we will get off, some don't have that opinion. What's with the arrogant, smart-arse posting, having shots at people that don't think the same as you? The whole "the sky is falling" crap, FFS, grow up.

There's a post not too far back calling people who've taken issue with Deegirl 'clowns'. Is it only postings you don't agree with that are arrogant and smart-arsed?

It's a pity Caro isn't around to tell us what the AFL have. =)

As John Ralph just said on SEN, "there is no smoking gun". They'll table what they believe to be evidence, get Melbourne's response, which will be to deny any allegations, and then the AFL will decide a course of action, if any.

I'm very comfortable with where we stand.

• Like 5

Billy - the vast majority of respondents were deferential or respectful to Deegirl.

If you have an issue with poster like myself asking for a source, I am quite flummoxed by that - it is the initial reflex question to any person ever who has had inside information. It's a suitable question.

She bore the brunt for a matter of hours too.

Anyway, we move on to the actual news of our club and/or officials being charged for 'forfeiting' games, or 'cheating,' or possibly 'making the AFL look bad.'

Edited by rpfc

Asked if he felt that constituted tanking, he said: "I would have to say yes.'' The AFL will interview Tony Liberatore next week over tanking claims made against Carlton, but say the former Blues assistant will need to produce a specific allegation to prompt an investigation.

That appears unlikely, as Liberatore has already admitted coaching staff never talked about tanking and there was never any directive to lose from Blues officials. AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said that from what he had read of Liberatore's comments, made on the Nine Network's AFL Footy Show, there was nothing that would warrant an investigation. "If he put a specific allegation to us about the Carlton Football Club then we would go and speak to the Carlton Football Club and look into it," Demetriou said.

Asked what sort of allegation would be required, Demetriou said: "If someone at the football club said to Tony Liberatore, directed him to do A, B, C, D to lose the game, that's a really serious matter."

I think this is the nub of it for Anderson. Vald would have preferred it was handled as above. For the AFL to speak with McLean and seek out any specific actions because those comments on air, even more so the Liba's, were not enough to warrant an investigation. But Anderson went on his merry way and put the AFL and MFC under a bus. I think he really dropped the ball here in the eyes of the AFL. Edited by s-t-i-n-g-a

So Ron Burgundy cant understand why Carlton arent in the crosshairs of the AFL - my thinking is that the commission is worried about an adverse finding against the MFC for the exact reason that the standard has to be applied to other clubs as well. I think that Carlton, WCE,Hawks Collingwood, Richmond, Stkilda and Freo are very much in the minds of the commissioners and the flow on affect of a guilty verdict - for this reason alone I think the AFL will apply the narrowest of narrow definitions to tanking and there will be no case to answer.

I have that Melbourne syndrome thing. If a bad thing could happen to our Football Club, I believe, it will. However, the AFL has put its house in order on the tanking issue by eliminating priority picks. The original system developed by them was flawed and they know it. If this progresses it will reflect poorly on them, could kill one of their foundation clubs and would probably drag a number of other more powerful clubs into the ring. It could go on for years

We will either be punished lightly or not at all

• Like 1

I have that Melbourne syndrome thing. If a bad thing could happen to our Football Club, I believe, it will. However, the AFL has put its house in order on the tanking issue by eliminating priority picks. The original system developed by them was flawed and they know it. If this progresses it will reflect poorly on them, could kill one of their foundation clubs and would probably drag a number of other more powerful clubs into the ring. It could go on for years

We will either be punished lightly or not at all

Carlton or Collingwood? And why would that be a problem?

• Like 1

There's a post not too far back calling people who've taken issue with Deegirl 'clowns'. Is it only postings you don't agree with that are arrogant and smart-arsed?

As far as this matter goes, Dr, my opinion is very neutral. With that, my post isn't aimed at people that I don't agree with, becasue at this stage, I don't disagree with them.

In this instance, I am taking issue with the way that some people are responding to others. The "guilty believers" are copping sh!t on here, but they aren't giving it back, they are just stating their opinions. The :"not guilty believers" are doing nothing other than attacking the opposing opinions.

Actually, I should clarify "guilty believers". If you have a read through the posts of people that are considered the sky-fallers, a number of their posts aren't actually saying "WE ARE GUILTY". Most of them are offering potential sanctions IF we are found guilty.

Billy - the vast majority of respondents were deferential or respectful to Deegirl.

If you have an issue with poster like myself asking for a source, I am quite flummoxed by that - it is the initial reflex question to any person ever who has had inside information. It's a suitable question.

She bore the brunt for a matter of hours too.

Anyway, we move on to the actual news of our club and/or officials being charged for 'forfeiting' games, or 'cheating,' or possibly 'making the AFL look bad.'

RP, I can understand that you want to know where a random poster is getting their material from, it's human nature, or as you appropriately said, it's the reflex question. It's just hard for some people to reveal sources, especially given that flogs like Barrett use these sites to get stories.

You've been around here long enough to know which posters have a genuine source, and which posters to take with a grain of salt. Ok, Deegirl had only posted 3 times prior to yesterday, but there were enough people backing her to suggest that her story should be listened to. I will sit back with interest to see if her original comment about charges being laid eventuate.

But your last sentence is spot on. All we can do is wait for "actual" news from the AFL and/or the MFC. This investigation has been going on far too long, and many $$$ have been spent by the AFL for them to leak like a sieve, so I sit and wait, and until charges are or are not laid, I will sit on the fence and wait, hoping that the majority on here are right (which is far from an educated guess).

• Like 1

Instead of taking this to court and losing (which being the Melbourne football club, we will), the club should be sitting down with the afl this week and working on a plea bargain. Loss of our first 2 picks next year, a $200k fine and a fake apology (because we all know Carlton, West Coast, Collingwood etc tanked as well)

We cannot afford a serious punishment.

Instead of rolling over like the puppy dog we've been for 50 Yrs, It's time to arch the back & fly the hackles, snarl with pearly whites, lunge & take some Prime AFL rump.

Take it to court & Keep on postponing, delaying they're plans for handover from Vlad to Gillon...

• Like 1

The interesting thing that's coming out of this (at this stage) is that CC is the one in the firing line. But what can he be done for? IF Bails, and thus Melbourne, is not found to have tanked then what rule did CC breach? The ever broadening "bringing the game into disrepute"? Based on a comment that many say could be classified as flippant?

God and just when I thought this whole thing couldn't get murkier.

Whether charges are laid against the club or just Chris we should defend them. It's the new Melbourne and we will not roll over.

• Like 1

maybe, but football clubs shutdown for more than the 3 public holidays at this time. More like 2 weeks, but it seems many will now be forced to work through their holidays.

Will the AFL pay for the additional staff costs if that's the case?

The interesting thing that's coming out of this (at this stage) is that CC is the one in the firing line. But what can he be done for? IF Bails, and thus Melbourne, is not found to have tanked then what rule did CC breach? The ever broadening "bringing the game into disrepute"? Based on a comment that many say could be classified as flippant?

Whether charges are laid against the club or just Chris we should defend them. It's the new Melbourne and we will not roll over.

Pates, do what I do and sit on the fence and try not to give it any space in your mind! We are relying on the media circles to provide us with evidence, which we are then using in the fight with against AFL. All this when we have no idea what artillery they have!

You've been around here long enough to know which posters have a genuine source, and which posters to take with a grain of salt. Ok, Deegirl had only posted 3 times prior to yesterday, but there were enough people backing her to suggest that her story should be listened to. I will sit back with interest to see if her original comment about charges being laid eventuate.

This is where you lose me.

I know deegirl is on the money because I have been here for half a decade and have heard a few things from cross-pollinators from demonology. Some however, don't know this and don't visit Ology and see a veteran poster of 3 posts claim something rather close to the collective nerve of the club and its supporters.

She was always going to receive what she received. I would put the onus on her to mitigate any future reaction (if she was indeed offended) by posting more, being more forthcoming with how and where she got this information, and/or explain her bonafides as a regular on Ology.

Frankly, I think you are referring to a teacup storm only you can see and I doubt she would have any problem with the few dozen questioning posts in the few hours between her post and the 'breaking' of the news in the media.

As far as this matter goes, Dr, my opinion is very neutral. With that, my post isn't aimed at people that I don't agree with, becasue at this stage, I don't disagree with them.

In this instance, I am taking issue with the way that some people are responding to others. The "guilty believers" are copping sh!t on here, but they aren't giving it back, they are just stating their opinions. The :"not guilty believers" are doing nothing other than attacking the opposing opinions.

And calling other posters clowns isn't giving it back? Strange standards you have.

This is where you lose me.

I know deegirl is on the money because I have been here for half a decade and have heard a few things from cross-pollinators from demonology. Some however, don't know this and don't visit Ology and see a veteran poster of 3 posts claim something rather close to the collective nerve of the club and its supporters.

She was always going to receive what she received. I would put the onus on her to mitigate any future reaction (if she was indeed offended) by posting more, being more forthcoming with how and where she got this information, and/or explain her bonafides as a regular on Ology.

Frankly, I think you are referring to a teacup storm only you can see and I doubt she would have any problem with the few dozen questioning posts in the few hours between her post and the 'breaking' of the news in the media.

RP, you have turned it in to this storm. You have highlighted one point from my post of several points.

RP, you have turned it in to this storm. You have highlighted one point from my post of several points.

So posts should be critiqued as a collective whole of which nothing can be isolated?

And everyone was happy to move on - you are the one that wanted to ride on your equine of altitude and give us all a lecture that wasn't warranted.

How many posters here went to the 2009 Demons draft night extravaganza at the MCC?
Yes I was there TT.

Are you referring to CC extraordinary performance as MC?

Deegirl is most likely spot on.

McLardy imploring we'll defend the integrity of the club last week

was our last verbal shot at the AFL before court.

I think the AFL will charge us and come unstuck in court.

I believe they have taken this long, because the AFL are expecting this to be

dragged through the courts and they want to cross all their T's.

The new rule "poor attempt at comedy in an inappropriate place".

• Like 1

Deegirl is most likely spot on.

McLardy imploring we'll defend the integrity of the club last week

was our last verbal shot at the AFL before court.

I think the AFL will charge us and come unstuck in court.

I believe they have taken this long, because the AFL are expecting this to be

dragged through the courts and they want to cross all their T's.

in which case why reveal our case to them by over-responding

review the "material"

just inform the AFL there is nothing chargeable in the material or to answer to and no further comment

ask the afl to either drop the investigation or lay charges in which case we will take it to the courts

• Like 1

I've read this thread, and many other threads and articles regarding the tanking issue. One thing I have to say about what is posted about the topic on Demonland, I'm sick to death of the people who are in the "nothing to see, move along" corner. Can you please remind of a few things?

* This is a public forum, where everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Your opinion is that we will get off, some don't have that opinion. What's with the arrogant, smart-arse posting, having shots at people that don't think the same as you? The whole "the sky is falling" crap, FFS, grow up.

Are you criticising people for criticising people?

• Like 2

And calling other posters clowns isn't giving it back? Strange standards you have.

Reading through what the minority had to put up with, I think "clowns" was a very polite reaction.

So posts should be critiqued as a collective whole of which nothing can be isolated?

And everyone was happy to move on - you are the one that wanted to ride on your equine of altitude and give us all a lecture that wasn't warranted.

I have one main issue RP, or as you call it, one storm in a teacup. It was the way that a number of posters ganged up on a small few posters for sharing an opinion. And well done on speaking on behalf of Deegirl - you "doubt she would have any problem with the few dozen questioning posts"? Her replies weren't full of joy if you ask me. But, I guess the bullies that hunted in packs had no doubt that the kids they were beating up on had no problem with it either.

Given the fact that some people "liked" my post, I don't see the issue with my post.

Off-season on Demonland is getting worse each year, and is no different to society in general. The decline in disrespect for others each year is worrying.