The hardest Team to Play Against

Demonsterative

I just got back from ordering a pizza and saw a 2010 CFC magazine with a 3 page article on Mark Neeld. It was an interesting read that went through his playing career and coaching career (to that point)

The main point that I picked up from this article was Mark talking about wanting to coach the hardest team to play against when coaching Ocean Grove. I must admit when I heard this when Neeld was appointed last year, I thought him to be making a stupid statement that seemed a little egotistical. It seems that this is a mantra to his coaching philosophy.

He also spoke about working with the locals at Ocean Grove and that to implement his 'hardest to play against' mantra, he knew he had to build strong relationships with his players, who were mostly tradies. He went on to say they had a very good work ethic that he tapped into.

Other points of this article were,

He saw himself as wanting to coach at the begining of his career. Malcolm Blight gave out notes and information sheets to all his players at Geelong and told his players if they ever wanted to coach, to keep these sheets as a resource. Mark kept them all and was using them as a tool when coaching at all levels.

He talks about coaching a defensive game plan when at the Jets, school coaching and Ocean Grove. He had the opportunity to go to the Western Bulldogs or Collingwood, but when he was interviewed by Malthouse. He stated they had very similar ideas and ended up coaching at the Pies.

It was a very good read and this article has given me more faith in the direction Neeld is taking the club. It seems that his philospohy has not changed throughout his career. He is a successful coach at other levels and as an Assistant Coach. I believe a little more since reading the mag.

On the way home my hands felt dirty from reading the Magpie mag, so i thoroughly washed them when i got home. If your asking why read the mag? It was a choice between Womens Day. A no brainer and as I said the article was very good

• Like 17

I just got back from ordering a pizza and saw a 2010 CFC magazine with a 3 page article on Mark Neeld. It was an interesting read that went through his playing career and coaching career (to that point)

The main point that I picked up from this article was Mark talking about wanting to coach the hardest team to play against when coaching Ocean Grove. I must admit when I heard this when Neeld was appointed last year, I thought him to be making a stupid statement that seemed a little egotistical. It seems that this is a mantra to his coaching philosophy.

He also spoke about working with the locals at Ocean Grove and that to implement his 'hardest to play against' mantra, he knew he had to build strong relationships with his players, who were mostly tradies. He went on to say they had a very good work ethic that he tapped into.

Other points of this article were,

He saw himself as wanting to coach at the begining of his career. Malcolm Blight gave out notes and information sheets to all his players at Geelong and told his players if they ever wanted to coach, to keep these sheets as a resource. Mark kept them all and was using them as a tool when coaching at all levels.

He talks about coaching a defensive game plan when at the Jets, school coaching and Ocean Grove. He had the opportunity to go to the Western Bulldogs or Collingwood, but when he was interviewed by Malthouse. He stated they had very similar ideas and ended up coaching at the Pies.

It was a very good read and this article has given me more faith in the direction Neeld is taking the club. It seems that his philospohy has not changed throughout his career. He is a successful coach at other levels and as an Assistant Coach. I believe a little more since reading the mag.

On the way home my hands felt dirty from reading the Magpie mag, so i thoroughly washed them when i got home. If your asking why read the mag? It was a choice between Womens Day. A no brainer and as I said the article was very good

Incase you were wondering Woman's Day ran a full length article that Kate is having twins... unfortunately I wasn't so lucky at my dentist

Edited by PJ_12345
  • Like 10

I just got back from ordering a pizza

Thanks for the insight from the CFC magazine. I hope you washed your hands afterwards... before chowing down on your pizza.

Work ethic, hardness and a defensive mindset are key fundamentals for Neeld.

My trainer at the gym trained under Mark Neeld during his time at Ocean Grove and only had great things to say about him. He has told me during the past year or so, that MN is insightful, great as a mentor to the young guys and the boys at Ocean Grove had the greatest respect for him.

I am sure we are on the right track.

• Like 3

My trainer at the gym trained under Mark Neeld during his time at Ocean Grove and only had great things to say about him. He has told me during the past year or so, that MN is insightful, great as a mentor to the young guys and the boys at Ocean Grove had the greatest respect for him.

I think so too Jane.

On meeting the players for the first time he told them, "I will get you fitter, tougher and give you a game plan." I get the feeling we'll start to see an improved maturing outfit that has that respect.

Have to respect the direction he wants to take us in. We need to be able to put pressure on the ball carriers to create turnovers, if you dont the top clubs will just run over you with their superior skill. Even the most skillful make mistakes when put under pressure. Its a game plan he started with and he has restructured the list to support that direction, most of his new recruits are hard at the ball and good tacklers from all reports. In February we will see if the team is able to deliver. I believe they will.

The Neeld revolution is beginning to take shape, no more softies, no more players ruling the roost, no more games to players that don't deserve them, hard, tough, contested football, with players that want to play for the MFC.

I really believe he is restoring the respect and pride this club used to have.

• Like 3

Have heard the same things from the same club.

Have heard the same things from the same club.

Played a few games as an U18 youngster in the seniors under Neeld in Ocean Grove.

Commands respect but does not demand it, earns it from the players through the building of relationships and work ethics.

He is/will do great things with our beloved Dee's. Mark my words. (no pun intended.)

• Like 4

The Neeld revolution is beginning to take shape, no more softies, no more players ruling the roost, no more games to players that don't deserve them, hard, tough, contested football, with players that want to play for the MFC.

He would be the first to say it's a team effort from committed individuals.

Having Neil Craig and Dave Misson on board is some serious added value.

• Like 1

The dentist was probably more interested in your teeth ... in any case, they're not allowed to have relationships with their patients.

Lol, I told my dentist I think I sufffer from trauma as a child because I never went to Lego Land - we had a family vote and everyone else chose Disney Land... (first world problems) what does my dentist do? Took his son to Lego Land this year and took a picture of every good attraction and ride then mailed it to me.

Couldn't tell if he was being nice or trying to rub salt in the wound... leaning towards the latter

7nTnr.png

aaaaaaand I've gone off topic again

Edited by PJ_12345

Lol, I told my dentist I think I sufffer from trauma as a child because I never went to Lego Land - we had a family vote and everyone else chose Disney Land... (first world problems) what does my dentist do? Took his son to Lego Land this year and took a picture of every good attraction and ride then mailed it to me.

Couldn't tell if he was being nice or trying to rub salt in the wound... leaning towards the latter

7nTnr.png

aaaaaaand I've gone off topic again

What did your therapist say?

Interesting article that i stumbled across on the Age Website about our pre season training - looks like everyone is having a crack and is determined to take it up a notches in 2013...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-days-from-go-to-doze-20121207-2b1ij.html

Love the part where the coaches are pushing the Neeld revolution -

“We can't afford to miss tackles and we can't afford to get stepped,” forwards coach Leigh Brown chips in. “Get up in their face, and get up in their face big.”

We will be too big too strong and too fit for them.

The skills will be icing onthe cake.

Yeah I may as well go to the TAB and put a hundred on us to win the flag now.

• Like 1

Yeah I may as well go to the TAB and put a hundred on us to win the flag now.

Maybe not next year, but by the time Hogan is in his second year i reckon we are a real shot at it.

Maybe not next year, but by the time Hogan is in his second year i reckon we are a real shot at it.

I wasn't actually serious, we are a long long way off yet mate.

I wasn't actually serious, we are a long long way off yet mate.

2015 we will see.

Gotta have a bit of faith in the boys mate, otherwise whats the point in being a supporter?

• Like 2

2015 we will see.

Gotta have a bit of faith in the boys mate, otherwise whats the point in being a supporter?

I have plenty of faith in Neeld and most of the players, I just think it will take time to go from 16th to the top. That doesn't happen overnight, and not even in 12 years apparently...