Scully, Trengove and 'loyalty'

Guest Fletch

Guest Fletch

Just putting it out there as a topic for debate, but does anyone really believe that Trengove wouldn't have taken the $6 mil GWS deal had the shoe been on the other foot?

although it's an interesting concept, it's really impossible to say.

I think that we should be grateful that we have Trengove and what we have gotten in return for Tom Scully.

• Like 3

Just putting it out there as a topic for debate, but does anyone really believe that Trengove wouldn't have taken the $6 mil GWS deal had the shoe been on the other foot?

So... you've already had a go at him on another thread, give it a break mate and stop trying to stir up a non issue.

I'm happy we've got Trengove, Clark, Hogan and Toumpas and no Scully.

• Like 1

Starts with T ends with L

• Like 1

You are RR trying to make an arse-about point?

I don't know if Trengove would have left if someone gave him $6m to - that an unknowable hypothetical or an 'unknown unknown' as Don Rumsfeld would have said.

What I do know is that he agreed to stay, during 2011 when it all was turning to sh!t, till 2015.

Loyalty in footy maybe dead, but that doesn't mean there are not good people playing for the MFC.

• Like 6

Trengove signed a contract extension at the end of his first year knowing full well that GWS were circling.

Shoe on the other foot suggests that he wanted to stay demon no matter what.

• Like 2

You are RR trying to make an arse-about point?

I don't know if Trengove would have left if someone gave him $6m to - that an unknowable hypothetical or an 'unknown unknown' as Don Rumsfeld would have said.

What I do know is that he agreed to stay, during 2011 when it all was turning to sh!t, till 2015.

Loyalty in footy maybe dead, but that doesn't mean there are not good people playing for the MFC.

Let's wait for the poll.

yes.

The answer is actually no. He did have the opportunity but signed on for the extra year when he started with us whereas Scully didnt' so he could milk the GWS offer which he did beautifully.

"Everytime I try and get out they pull me back in" - Michael Corleone and Demonland on Scully.

For me it was never about loyalty - it was about honesty.

Gazza Jnr refused to enter the debate the whole of the year of his going to GC17 - he refused to say if he had signed, hadnt signed - end of story

Little Tommy on the other hand ( and his management) lied through their teeth through the whole process

Jimmy was wrong when he said that the system forced players to lie. The system was horrible in that it forced Gazza Jnr to show his club a stone wall by refusing to confirm or deny anything until seasons end. Tommy went the other route and lied.

Thats what irked me.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

of course Trengove would have taken it, they all would. Ablett, Judd etc they would all punch out their own mothers for an extra buck. Loyalty is for the supporters

And i dont have a problem with that - I dont have a problem with Judd's selection - where we were and what we were offering compared to Carlton - I would have taken Carltons offer in a heartbeat. But Ablett and Judd had one thing in common - as much as a charade that it was - both refused to confirm or deny their intentions to their clubs until seasons end - they gave no promises - no undertakings.

If Tom had held his ground and stared down the club ( and yes - he may have suffered consequences for this action) then I have no problem in going for the bucks - however Tom Scully has been shown up to be a liar - he lied to Jim Stynes face, he lied to supporters, he lied to the media - he has zero integrity in my eyes.

• Like 1

And i dont have a problem with that - I dont have a problem with Judd's selection - where we were and what we were offering compared to Carlton - I would have taken Carltons offer in a heartbeat. But Ablett and Judd had one thing in common - as much as a charade that it was - both refused to confirm or deny their intentions to their clubs until seasons end - they gave no promises - no undertakings.

If Tom had held his ground and stared down the club ( and yes - he may have suffered consequences for this action) then I have no problem in going for the bucks - however Tom Scully has been shown up to be a liar - he lied to Jim Stynes face, he lied to supporters, he lied to the media - he has zero integrity in my eyes.

not really much difference in any of the cases, obviously a player cannot let it be known that he is planning to jump ship while he is still running around for his current club. In all cases the player played out a charade of pretending to be 'concentrating on his footy and working out his future at season's end' all the while the deals were done and dusted behind closed doors. If you think there is any motivation whatsover apart from money, ie. 'Melbourne's facilities' for Judd, or a a 'new challenge' for Ablett you are absolutely kidding yourself

Trengove signed a contract extension at the end of his first year knowing full well that GWS were circling.

Shoe on the other foot suggests that he wanted to stay demon no matter what.

He also approached the club and signed up for an extra 4 or 5 years immediately following the 186 point loss. He didn't have to, but clearly he wanted to make a statement of loyalty and commitment to the club.

All the evidence is that this guy has loyalty in spades. I disagree with the post above - loyalty is not only for supporters, and it is not only reserved for matters sports-related.

To the contrary, loyalty is rooted in one's character. Everyone has different settings. And that's why some here can't see why a player would remain loyal to a club in the face of extra $$$ and some can see it - in short, we're not all configured the same way.

For instance, some of my mates don't understand why I give cash to the MFC and why I'm a Foundation/Debt Demolition Member etc. They think it's a complete waste of money. Yet, for me, it's an absolute no brainer.

For some people, it's not all about the dough.

• Like 6

not really much difference in any of the cases, obviously a player cannot let it be known that he is planning to jump ship while he is still running around for his current club. In all cases the player played out a charade of pretending to be 'concentrating on his footy and working out his future at season's end' all the while the deals were done and dusted behind closed doors. If you think there is any motivation whatsover apart from money, ie. 'Melbourne's facilities' for Judd, or a a 'new challenge' for Ablett you are absolutely kidding yourself

I'm not kidding myself because I 100% agree with you - there was a checklist of one in all three cases - and it is called a big bagfull of money.

But there is a huge difference in Judd/Ablett vs Scully.

Did you hear Ablett/Judd say at any stage

• I want to be a one club player and envisage that will be case
  • (to the question on how you can reject large sums of GWS money) because I am happy at the club and happy what i am doing
  • Neither myself nor my family or agent have been contacted by GWS ( thats after Phil had already signed up with GWS)
  • Alistair Lynch his agent saying that Melbourne supporters had every reason to be confident that Scully would stay

Ablett and Judd kept schtum and played out the charade - Scully and his team lied through their teeth - a very big difference in my eyes

• Like 1

The answer is actually no. He did have the opportunity but signed on for the extra year when he started with us whereas Scully didnt' so he could milk the GWS offer which he did beautifully.

Fundamental point here. Whether or not he would have got the offer is neither here nor there because he closed the door by extending his contract. He committed himself to us straight up.End of story

Pointless thread.

Absolutely. Please close it immediately

Jack Trengove signed a new contract post 186 in 2011 against the wishes of his manager. He did it because he said the club needed the support in light of what it was going through.

I don't know if he would have taken Scully's money, but I do know he wouldn't have lied through his back teeth. I know he would have handled it completely differently.

OP seems a bit of a troll.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1