Dunn, Macdonald, Sellar re-sign

stuie

In a sense they all keep each and many others honest. Competition for places is good :)

• Like 4

Dunn staying is a no brainer

Sellar showed a bit as a defender on gorillas. Not fussed on him either way.

I thought it might have been time to farewell MacDonald. A bit over his constant fumbling, bumbling, and direct clangers to the opposition. Gives his all but can't be trusted with ball in hand.

Dunn staying is a no brainer

Sellar showed a bit as a defender on gorillas. Not fussed on him either way.

I thought it might have been time to farewell MacDonald. A bit over his constant fumbling, bumbling, and direct clangers to the opposition. Gives his all but can't be trusted with ball in hand.

Common misconception... MacDonald actually had a pretty good year with the ball, and he's exactly the type Neeld loves. Was amongst our best in a few games this year and I find it ridiculous when 'Landers call for his sacking. What a joke. They talk up these players from other teams we've gone after this offseason as hard bodies, contested players, etc but fail to recognize the same qualities in one of our own.

• Like 10

where does that leave clint bartram aswell? aperently he hasn't even been sighted at training?

Surely that's because of his sore knee, right?

I think with the state of our list (cut Davis and we still get 4 picks at the draft) he might just keep himself on it. Or maybe not. I don't see him as best 22, or close to it, so I feel like it's much of a muchness whether we keep him for his tenacity, courage etc., or feel forced to let him go.

• Like 1

Common misconception... MacDonald actually had a pretty good year with the ball, and he's exactly the type Neeld loves. Was amongst our best in a few games this year and I find it ridiculous when 'Landers call for his sacking. What a joke. They talk up these players from other teams we've gone after this offseason as hard bodies, contested players, etc but fail to recognize the same qualities in one of our own.

I would say this is going a little too far. And by 'a little', I mean 'a lot'. He did not have a 'pretty good year with the ball', his disposal was appalling.

Having said that, I agree with you that he's a type Neeld likes (obviously, having signed the new deal). He gave it his all every week, making others look pathetic for not doing so, and he is versatile (I remember him standing, and beating, Travis Cloke once). I have liked him, but not for his disposal.

Surely that's because of his sore knee, right?

I think with the state of our list (cut Davis and we still get 4 picks at the draft) he might just keep himself on it. Or maybe not. I don't see him as best 22, or close to it, so I feel like it's much of a muchness whether we keep him for his tenacity, courage etc., or feel forced to let him go.

Would we rookie Bartram and see how the knee experiment pans out?

I would say this is going a little too far. And by 'a little', I mean 'a lot'. He did not have a 'pretty good year with the ball', his disposal was appalling.

Having said that, I agree with you that he's a type Neeld likes (obviously, having signed the new deal). He gave it his all every week, making others look pathetic for not doing so, and he is versatile (I remember him standing, and beating, Travis Cloke once). I have liked him, but not for his disposal.

I was speaking comparatively of course. You wouldn't say his was disposal was good this year compared to Scott Thompson, but judging against his own standards he was better than average and not nearly as bad as people seem to think.

A disposal efficiency of 75% is decent I would have thought (only 1% behind Jones).

I was speaking comparatively of course. You wouldn't say his was disposal was good this year compared to Scott Thompson, but judging against his own standards he was better than average and not nearly as bad as people seem to think.

A disposal efficiency of 75% is decent I would have thought (only 1% behind Jones).

I don't really think it was better than any other season, but whatevs. Each to their own.

I detest the disposal efficiency stat, so I see nothing in that.

Abso - bloody - lutely Stuie, spot on. No way MacDonald was going to get delisted, no way. Also no way Sellar was going to go. Both players are physically strong at it types, play a role and do what they're told. Neeld soldiers and as you note exactly the sort of player Neeld loves. Its not just that though - both are super trainers and hard workers and it is all about building a culture of elite training and hard work as he has been banging on about since he joined the club. All the new recruits are cut from the same cloth. The Neeld army is being formed.

Dunn? I also agree with you comment in the OP that he saved himself in the second half of the season. By all accounts he too now is working super hard and now fits the Neeld soldier mold. Like Blease he has bought in and i reckon Neeld would love players who are able to turn things around and buy in when perhaps they previously were not fully committed. I get the feeling Sylvia and even Davey are in the same boat - at least i hope.

• Like 1

I don't really think it was better than any other season, but whatevs. Each to their own.

Fair enough mate. To me he was noticeably better than last year, but we all see things differently.

Not saying he's the future of the club, just think he's underrated by many.

Trouble is we only remember the times players stuff up.....One howler and it in the memory bank....the said player can then have five other kicks that go to advantage but you will only remember the one that he stuffed up....
  • Like 1

I think the late date that all have signed back on suggests the current worth to our list.

Barts is probably still working thru his decision re ability to go on.

Davis, I hope we keep him in the red & blue, on some list.

I see the list management now. If you're not 192 you won't get a game at MFC. I thought when they recruited Gillies on top of Pedersen that would be the end of Sellar or Dunn or MacDonald. But hey as the weeks go on I am being proven to know less and less.

One good thing about this is that P Johnston in the back pocket on N Brown in the infamous '09 game can't be seen as tanking as we'll have 192 players in the back pocket from now on. It's all we've got as back men.

I am sorry guys but I am also a supporter of MacDonald. He is a hard at it type and has a good presence. I personally consider that he has more consistency about him than Sellars and we must remember that the other two were first round draft picks.

• Like 1