Caroline Wilson's descent into gutter journalism

titan_uranus

It was a nothing article.

The best bit was when she acknowledged pick 4 is most likely to remain intact. But that was pretty obvious.

She then makes a string of statements that have no substance by themselves, but are supposed to have deep seated meaning.

I don't mind her, but I see where people see her as [censored] weak.

Agree, I generally like her and she's usually just doing her job - but she's starting to annoy me now.

• Like 2

Open revolt at 3 quarter time. remember the game quite well and you can check youtube - I am utterly convinced this is a lie.

Such a successful revolt that they blew the lead!

I don't think any group of players who were 1-12 before getting the chance to knock over a couple of rubbish interstate sides at the MCG have any right to be complaining about anybody trying to stop them winning when they were doing a great job of it themselves.

• Like 5

She's not the story, the MFC are.

Paul, I think we agree on most things. But not this.

She is generating the story. These events occurred in 2009. They were investigated.

The 'Burnouts' McLean interview occurred months ago. It was boring and hopelessly contrived, by the interviewing panel at least - not by Burnouts admittedly - he was just the moron who was led to the beer barrell. And he sculled the contents of it.

We're just about to enter the pre-season to season 2013. How is this relevant or fascinating so long after the alleged events, particularly given the radical changes that the Demons have undergone since that time?

Simple. Caroline Wilson decided to enliven the issue - and, from what I've read, based on virtually no new material, certainly no new game-changing material.

Most of what she has re-hashed in recent days seems to reflect a club in a turmoil during the Bailey years and one which was characterised by some pretty poor cultural issues (eg, player dissatisfaction etc), but it does not provide any good evidence of 'tanking' - which I had thought was meant to be at the very heart of the issue.

She just seems to have thrown everything into the mix, in an unbelievably unsophisticated way, all of which she says leads to the obvious conclusion that we deliberately tanked the whole of season 2009. Her editor must be away on holiday, or drunk. Her articles on this issue have, at best, limited substantive content to them - it's all innuendo and unsubstantiated hearsay. 'New Idea' stuff.

And I want her to be accountable for that, not just the MFC. It's current a trial by (a very basic) media. That troubles me.

In short, I think her agenda is very much part of the story at the moment. There's something at play here - I just don't know what it is.

• Like 5

"It has been established that an estimated 15 people attended the Connolly address in the vault at Junction Oval in which he reminded assistant coaches and other football staffers, including two recruiters, that the club would suffer dire consequences should it continue its then winning streak of two games. No player was at the meeting. Former captain James McDonald was interviewed by the AFL but has not been recalled.

Although only Brock McLean has put his name to the belief that the club deliberately lost games,"

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz2AsHvHKqX

Caro again with all the inside news from the Confidential Investigation, that she obviously attended, as the AFL wouldn't leak to the media such a highly sensitive confidential report before its tabling.

Here she says that it has been established that Connolly "reminded" those present that the club would suffer if it won too many games. Didn't see the words "Connolly directed the Coach to tank or lose games".

Then further that to date Brock McLean is the only person who has stated a "belief" that the club deliberately lost games.

Then she says further on that we "deliberately lost games", her words. Sue the hack and her paper. This is a bloody joke

• Like 1

In short, I think her agenda is very much part of the story at the moment. There's something at play here - I just don't know what it is.

She hates Schwab. It goes back to his time at the Tigers. She wants him out of the AFL.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

Yeah I noticed that

Begs the question how does wilson know

Club leaking?

There's undoubtedly someone who fed the former UN investigator Haddad and Clothier the 'new evidence' which was mentioned in one of Wilson's initial articles - which has since been revised. The same stooge probably has Wilson on speed dial and such knowledge you're referring to.

That's what annoys me, if Melbourne are cleared of any wrongdoing then she should be held accountable for making false and damaging claims.

Caroline Wilson is not a member of Parliament and therefore does not have the same libel priveleges.She should be very careful of her wording because some of what she has written could be construed as defamatory. Now wouldn't that be a story in itself.

She hates Schwab. It goes back to his time at the Tigers. She wants him out of the AFL.

That and essentially she is just a mouthpiece of the AFL, hence her being spoon feed these leaks on the investigation. This is designed to build pressure on those who are being investigated. Tonight she brushed off and was dismissive of the actions of other clubs in similar circumstances to Melbourne.

She was also dismissive of the the AFL taking any responsibility for putting the MFC in the invidious position of having the priority pick dangled in front of us. Background this against having Carlton role over in front of us only 12 months earlier and the extreme pressure from the football world to get the priority pick, her position is just selective.

It is a worry that she has formed such strong opinions on this and given she is being drip fed information it is easy to think her views may be those of the AFL.

• Like 1

There's undoubtedly someone who fed the former UN investigator Haddad and Clothier the 'new evidence' which was mentioned in one of Wilson's initial articles - which has since been revised. The same stooge probably has Wilson on speed dial and such knowledge you're referring to.

Could it be Jason Mifsud?

Paul, I think we agree on most things. But not this.

She is generating the story. These events occurred in 2009. They were investigated.

The 'Burnouts' McLean interview occurred months ago. It was boring and hopelessly contrived, by the interviewing panel at least - not by Burnouts admittedly - he was just the moron who was led to the beer barrell. And he sculled the contents of it.

We're just about to enter the pre-season to season 2013. How is this relevant or fascinating so long after the alleged events, particularly given the radical changes that the Demons have undergone since that time?

Simple. Caroline Wilson decided to enliven the issue - and, from what I've read, based on virtually no new material, certainly no new game-changing material.

Most of what she has re-hashed in recent days seems to reflect a club in a turmoil during the Bailey years and one which was characterised by some pretty poor cultural issues (eg, player dissatisfaction etc), but it does not provide any good evidence of 'tanking' - which I had thought was meant to be at the very heart of the issue.

She just seems to have thrown everything into the mix, in an unbelievably unsophisticated way, all of which she says leads to the obvious conclusion that we deliberately tanked the whole of season 2009. Her editor must be away on holiday, or drunk. Her articles on this issue have, at best, limited substantive content to them - it's all innuendo and unsubstantiated hearsay. 'New Idea' stuff.

And I want her to be accountable for that, not just the MFC. It's current a trial by (a very basic) media. That troubles me.

Bang! Perfectly said.

If true, obviously a person of utmost integrity - and, if also a witness to the alleged events, clearly a witness to be believed.

Caroline Wilson is not a member of Parliament and therefore does not have the same libel priveleges.She should be very careful of her wording because some of what she has written could be construed as defamatory. Now wouldn't that be a story in itself.

It's times such as this we should be posting the whole article here to avoid any revisions as we've seen with recent links to her articles.

"deliberately losing games" .... The club would want to keep a track of such bile, and it wouldn't sit well with the players.

Often the Richmond v Melbourne game is mentioned, let us recall who was in front when the final siren sounded. I recall that [censored] McMahon snatching that four points from our grasp. Is that 'deliberately losing?'

• Like 1

After closer study if what we read is true then I'm [censored] off with Connolly and his best mate G. Lyon who no doubt advised him. Melbourne needs to take it's medicine here if it is indeed at fault. Pretty disgraceful behaviour by Melbourne board if allegations are true. If it means we lose Viney then so be it.

Melbourne will re-build from this rubbish and hopefully all is true about what you guys say about Neeld. Neeld can re-build the club. Melbourne will do it's penance and move on from this. For the better!

Edited by thaipantsman

After closer study if what we read is true then I'm [censored] off with Connolly and his best mate G. Lyon who no doubt advised him. Melbourne needs to take it's medicine here if it is indeed at fault. Pretty disgraceful behaviour by Melbourne board if allegations are true. If it means we lose Viney then so be it.

Melbourne will re-build from this rubbish and hopefully all is true about what you guys say about Neeld. Neeld can re-build the club. Melbourne will do it's penance and move on from this. For the better!

How can you bring Gary into this? If you had had any dealings with CC you would know that he does tend to have verbal effusion and maybe this was just another case of CC being CC. Without written evidence of CC giving a directive to the FD to lose games it is just heresay.

Such a successful revolt that they blew the lead!

I don't think any group of players who were 1-12 before getting the chance to knock over a couple of rubbish interstate sides at the MCG have any right to be complaining about anybody trying to stop them winning when they were doing a great job of it themselves.

HOPE IT'S a beat up but don't think so. If not we will recover under Neeld.

How can you bring Gary into this? If you had had any dealings with CC you would know that he does tend to have verbal effusion and maybe this was just another case of CC being CC. Without written evidence of CC giving a directive to the FD to lose games it is just heresay.

Probably because I'm "long suffering" as you no doubt are. Hard call I agree but he would of been one of Connolly's closest advisors and they are best Mates. Thinking allowed here..perhaps he has nothing to do with it...Just pretty [censored] off

I found the idea of tanking distasteful before 2009 and I like it a lot less now. I'm highly [censored] off that we went down that path because I see it as cheating by another name, and I'm even angrier because of the ongoing damage it's caused the club.

BUT I'll be damned if I'll support us getting bent over and smashed over this while half a dozen clubs that did the same thing get away scott free. If they cop the same penalties as us then I'll wear it, but not before.

• Like 2

It's times such as this we should be posting the whole article here to avoid any revisions as we've seen with recent links to her articles.

"deliberately losing games" .... The club would want to keep a track of such bile, and it wouldn't sit well with the players.

Often the Richmond v Melbourne game is mentioned, let us recall who was in front when the final siren sounded. I recall that [censored] McMahon snatching that four points from our grasp. Is that 'deliberately losing?'

Wilson is a very experienced Journo. Wishful thinking. She is most likely closer to the mark than we give her credit. We all must lie low for a while .

This is the perfect example of what happens when you treat individuals within an organization with so much contempt.

Every other club has just about tanked in its time. None have been caught out or investigated.

So what's the difference between us and other clubs? Well we are dumb enough to involve every man and his dog in confidential decisions, and we the go and treat these people like crap, giving them enough of an incentive to stab us in the back.

I have neither positive nor negative feelings about our board. They have done some good, and they have done some bad.

But the absolute unprofessionalism that we continue to show is just staggering. We are a multi million dollar business being run like a [censored] amateurs kindergarten.

He said, she said, he was unhappy, hey everyone let's talk about tanking with the entire footy department, and their cousins. Let's [censored] people off, and watch them return fire. And then let's keep the same stinky fish at the table.

Seriously, we may not always invite these epic disasters that seem to follow us, but we sure as hell do nothing to make them better either.

• Like 3

Wilson is a very experienced Journo. Wishful thinking. She is most likely closer to the mark than we give her credit. We all must lie low for a while .

Why? If there's truth to it, I agree we should take our medicine.

If not, I want the issue dealt with and the record set straight. And for Wilson to also come clean with her agenda.

• Like 2

If Melbourne go down for this there may be no Melbourne to rebuild, only a fool would believe this will make us stronger. We will lose sponsors and have great difficulty attracting new ones, no one will want to be involved with the club, as is is we are hanging in by a thread.

This is a media frenzy and it looks uglier by the hour, made only worse by the dick wits that have it in for Schwab and Connolly, some of whom are former board members and officials that nearly sent the club down the gurgles in the first place.

There are agendas and paybacks galore here and don't think that the majority on here are fooled by the [censored] they spin about it being for the good of the club, it's all about them, their ambitions and getting back at Schwab/Connolly.

The more frenzied the attacks by the media the harder the AFL will hit us, they have to make it look like they are in control and Dimwit has to save face, he will ensure we play most of our home games in Darwin if its possible.

I am not a huge fan of Schwab he's a bit slick for me but I'll stand by him as long as he's the choice of the elected board and until that changes neither will I, now is not the time for payback, you do that in the privacy of the board room If you get elected.

• Like 7