Who the hell is responsible?

Soidee

I was concerned that we had given up Martin, Gysberts and Morton for what seemed to be next to nothing but thinking about it I realised that they were all contracted players that we no longer wanted on the list. The only way to move them on was to trade, they couldn't be delisted.

It will be interesting to see who we pick up in the PSD and next free agency periods. Still plenty more to come here I'm thinking.

At least we are doing something.

• Like 1

I was concerned that we had given up Martin, Gysberts and Morton for what seemed to be next to nothing but thinking about it I realised that they were all contracted players that we no longer wanted on the list. The only way to move them on was to trade, they couldn't be delisted.

It will be interesting to see who we pick up in the PSD and next free agency periods. Still plenty more to come here I'm thinking.

At least we are doing something.

That's right RJay....We had to get rid of those players to move forward....regardless of what we got...

What other club was going to pay high numbers for them??

They are all flawed.

We got rid of them. Good.

• Like 6

While some on here decry the loss of Morton, Gysberts and Martin I wonder whether they were actually the first choice of the footy department to be moved on? Perhaps what the FD really wanted was to move on players like Bate, Bennell or Cook for whom they couldn't even get a nibble. It's an unfortunate fact of trade week that the only players traded are those that have some value to the purchasing party.

I'm not particularly fussed about any of the players we have lost and I remain circumspect about all the players we've traded in - but I'm absolutely sure we couldn't stand still and do nothing during this time.

And at the risk of being completely diversionary, is Jurrah still technically on our list or has he been formally delisted?

• Like 1

Best thing that's ever happened to this club.

A good long overdue shake up.

I've had enough of skinny kids and below par performances .

We had to get the balance right.

Still ave a lot of great kids in, Watts,Trengove,Tapscott,Blease,McDonald,Howe,Viney,Barry,Hogan and Possibly Wines.

Pederson and Dawes are still young.

It takes men to play this game.

Couldn't agree more DZ. Morton is as soft as they come, a deer in the headlights and a terrible decision maker with ball in hand. Martin is athletic but has terrible skills, Pedersen will fill the same role in the team but has clean hands and actually knows how to kick. A more natural footballer. Gysberts was lazy, one paced, and has no penetration in his kicking. Easily replaced by Viney and whichever midfielder we snare at 4. Also, frees up the number 5! I'm bloody happy with these trades, anybody who has watched the team play week in week out over the past 4 years should feel the exact same way. Go Dees

• Like 3

As a paid up member of 30 years I feel very angry that we have stuffed up on recent high draft picks. Now we are giving up those missed chances for B grade pickups. It's a total disgrace and one that MFC members should no longer tolerate. FFS if you recruit a first rounder - Get it right! develop them!

Gysberts? WTF....who apart from himself is responsible for his failure

Morton? Pick bloody 4. I am nonplussed.

This bloody club has to lift its game with recruiting.

Your like a woman I saw at my local video shop today. She was heckling the employees because she rented a movie that she had seen twice - but no one had told her that she had seen it twice - so she wanted her money back.

You will blame everyone under the sun however ultimately never take responsibility for your own actions.

Morton is his own enemy. He has no one to blame but himself.

Neeld is responsible now along with Schwab . I thought we were supposed to have a strategy of a rebuilding club, letting go players, like Junior etc..we now pick up Rodan, Byrnes etc..and let go early draft picks in Morton & Gysberts.

All I can say Cam&Mark, it is on your heads this next year after a disastrous 2012.

I believe letting Gysberts and Morton go for virtually nothing is just downright shameful.If we do not win at least 10 games this year both Cam & Mark should WALK or the board should sack both.

Your whole argument is based on the premise that they are worth something.

I'm willing to admit that Gysberts had a good 2011 season but thats it.

We got what they are worth. The market has spoken - end of story.

Edited by PJ_12345
  • Like 2

While some on here decry the loss of Morton, Gysberts and Martin I wonder whether they were actually the first choice of the footy department to be moved on? Perhaps what the FD really wanted was to move on players like Bate, Bennell or Cook for whom they couldn't even get a nibble. It's an unfortunate fact of trade week that the only players traded are those that have some value to the purchasing party.

I'm not particularly fussed about any of the players we have lost and I remain circumspect about all the players we've traded in - but I'm absolutely sure we couldn't stand still and do nothing during this time.

And at the risk of being completely diversionary, is Jurrah still technically on our list or has he been formally delisted?

It's just a pitty we didn't move re Morton 2010, & Steph 2011.

Our reluctance to make hard decisions is/has haunted us, & is part of our stagnating list issues.

Thanks for the fact we now have the cohunas to act decisively.

You're not alone mate. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. It's a farce.

I don't plan on my renewing my membership. What was the point of putting up with all those poor years if the draft picks are then just discarded?

I love people like you.

Sure you probably wont renew your membership, but I'll bet that you will still rock up to a game with your scarf on, and the moment we win a few your off to the membership department to renew it and then claim your a die hard supporter.

:)

• Like 3

Best thing that's ever happened to this club.

A good long overdue shake up.

I've had enough of skinny kids and below par performances .

We had to get the balance right.

Still ave a lot of great kids in, Watts,Trengove,Tapscott,Blease,McDonald,Howe,Viney,Barry,Hogan and Possibly Wines.

Pederson and Dawes are still young.

It takes men to play this game.

+ 1

Barrett, King, Denham and others are carrying on like we have got rid of every kid on our list and brought in spuds. Like others on here what we have tried didn't work and this goes back before Bailey.

Plenty of decent young talent left on the list and not one of our young hardnuts or those who have bought in was moved on. Mark my words this is the start of the new culture every player on our list knows what is expected of them.

We have targetted players for structure and think it was Nathan Thompson I heard defending the club saying we have filled massive holes we had between the 23-28 year olds. He also said it's not like they haven't also picked up youth with Hogan, Viney and maintaing an early pick.

Everything the club said they would do they did and by all accounts tried their utmost to get Ray but it didn't get over the line.

Time to sit back and see how things transpire

• Like 3

Can't believe we've still got Bail,Bartram,Bate,Bennell & Davey!!!

Hold your horses

We haven't even started the delistings yet, all clubs will delist players now who had no interest from other clubs

Can't believe we've still got Bail,Bartram,Bate,Bennell & Davey!!!

Who is delsited from our remaining list is now fully dependant on how many of our National Draft selections we will take. Davey is going nowhere and nor should he. If we use all 5 of our ND selction then it means spaces need to be made on our list.

The lord is responsible (I'm starting to believe it).

Martin, Greene, Moloney, Jurrah and Rivo..5 big outs.

In with as you put it nicely..B graders Rodan and Byrnes and Chrissy Dawes. ermmmm.....

Morton was some years ago. Travis Johnson? Wattsy? All good but Number ONE?? That's the million $question.

I love people like you.

Sure you probably wont renew your membership, but I'll bet that you will still rock up to a game with your scarf on, and the moment we win a few your off to the membership department to renew it and then claim your a die hard supporter.

:)

I predict Ned will renew!

B Graders have a knack at becoming A graders and this is the calculated gamble Neeld is taking here. Won't be long now!!

The systemic failure of top end draft picks to meet the minumum standards required to stay on our list. This is serious stuff and the club owes at minium an explanation to the members. This shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

Have just considered that it may be that they were just poor picks in the first place?

However weve got rid of 3,13 and 20 ( you can exclude 3 because it was used on a good young player) and have basically ended up with 4 and Viney.

Don't understand this. We started off with 3, 4, 13 and 26 and ended up with 4, Viney, Hogan, Dawes and Barry.

The lord is responsible (I'm starting to believe it).

Martin, Greene, Moloney, Jurrah and Rivo..5 big outs.

With the exception of Rivers (who if you watch the games in hindsight clearly suggested to the club he was leaving) all of those players couldn't get a game for large parts of a season in which we won 1 game against an established club. 1 game!

You can make an argument for Liam Jurrah but with what he's facing why would you want to?

Seriously folks. We won 1 serious game for the year. I find it amazing that anyone's concerned if we trade 90% of our list. They've shown they aren't up to it.

• Like 2

People have been begging for big change to the culture of the club and the players for years.

A man comes in with the balls to do so, draws the line in terms of culture and says "you're either here or so long and goodbye" and also makes the biggest player turn over we can remember for a while, and what do some people do?

Still complain.

We are the worst non-new AFL team in the competition. What has occurred NEEDED to happen.

And I for one am bloody happy it did and I am looking forward to see what happens.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 3

I'm blaming the smart meter at MFC!

Clearly a faulty one installed.

I do not find this hard to believe I have one for 20 months and they still have serious p[roblems working out my bill.

Current is now 7 months since the end of the billing period and no bill.

Rang this morning to be told

"we don't know why and we cannot tell when"

Very smart i would say.

People have been begging for big change to the culture of the club and the players.

A man comes in with the balls to do so, draws the line in terms of culture and says "you're either here or so long and goodbye" and also makes the biggest player turn over we can remember for a while, and what do some people do?

Still complain.

We are the worst non-new AFL team in the competition. What has occurred NEEDED to happen.

And I for one am bloody happy it did and I am looking forward to see what happens.

Yes Yes Yes 'The Song Formerly Known As'

I have your back

• Like 1

We traded a group of players that were still contracted, it was the only way to get them off our list. Uncontracted players are still to be either contracted or delisted, don't worry there will be a few more moved from the list before this is over.

• Like 1

Neeld is responsible now along with Schwab . I thought we were supposed to have a strategy of a rebuilding club, letting go players, like Junior etc..we now pick up Rodan, Byrnes etc..and let go early draft picks in Morton & Gysberts.

All I can say Cam&Mark, it is on your heads this next year after a disastrous 2012.

I believe letting Gysberts and Morton go for virtually nothing is just downright shameful.If we do not win at least 10 games this year both Cam & Mark should WALK or the board should sack both.

I see some things have not changed, would hate to be in a bar fight with some of our supporters they would be under the table before you could count to one!!