Goal Kicking Midfielders

Hannibal

I've always loved them. Perhaps it was Robbie kicking 40 goals from the wing one year, Greg Wells being a great goal kicking centreman, or Garry Wilson from Fitzroy, but I've always thought they're worth their weight in gold. It might even have been the greatest player of all time kicking so many goals from the midfield, or when he rested in a pocket.

It's why I think Sydney are a very good chance to win on Saturday, despite their terrible recent record at the G. Nathan Jones is coming off an A grade year and I hope he has set a benchmark for future years. Jones kicked 16 goals and reached at least .7 goals per game, which is just under what I like to see from mids to be classified as a "goal kicking mid". One goal per game is ideal, but .8 is still good in my eyes. With very little support I'm happy to label Jones a goal kicking mid, as I think his return was good considering the team's woeful output.

Let's look at Sydney's goal kicking mids:

Kennedy 27

Jack 25

Bolton 23

O'Keefe 20 (played as a mid this year)

McVeigh 16

And when you add Jetta's 45 from a wing/flank you can see how valuable their contribution has been. To have 4 our your contested ball winning mids kick 20 goals or more is sensational. Goodes also spends a bit of time in the middle.

Hawthorn

Lewis 27 (rotates between fwd and mid)

Smith 16

That's it. Mitchell has kicked 7, Shiels 7, Burgoyne 11, and Sewell 4.

Hawthorn obviously rely on their goals from different avenues, while Sydney will really need a big game from Reid. Even if he doesn't kick a bag he needs to contest like he never has before and create opportunities. Sydney will want plenty of stoppages in their forward 50. Limiting Franklin and Rioli will be the key.

Collingwood

Beams 28

Swan 25

Thomas 22

That's also a really good return from midfielders.

Adelaide round out this year's top 4

Dangerfield 23

Sloane 19

Vince 18

That's not a bad return. Adelaide are building something good, but need another A grade mid to complement this group and Thompson, who finished with 10.

I reckon Trengove can become a goal kicking mid, we know Jones has a knack, but we need to get so much more from our midfield. You don't have to kick goals as a mid to be a gun, but the ones that do are very valuable. Watson topped off his great year with 20.

Clark needs help in the forward-line, which is why I'd love to see the club target Jesse Hogan in the mini-draft, but after that I hope we draft some really talented mids and if they have a knack of kicking goals, like the beautifully balanced Jackson Macrae, even better. Harley Bennell of the Suns had a great year and kicked 25.

Viney and Jones will provide the grunt work, but if we can get some pace and goal kicking ability from the midfield into the team it will help no end.

• Like 1

I've always loved them. Perhaps it was Robbie kicking 40 goals from the wing one year, Greg Wells being a great goal kicking centreman, or Garry Wilson from Fitzroy, but I've always thought they're worth their weight in gold. It might even have been the greatest player of all time kicking so many goals from the midfield, or when he rested in a pocket.

It's why I think Sydney are a very good chance to win on Saturday, despite their terrible recent record at the G. Nathan Jones is coming off an A grade year and I hope he has set a benchmark for future years. Jones kicked 16 goals and reached at least .7 goals per game, which is just under what I like to see from mids to be classified as a "goal kicking mid". One goal per game is ideal, but .8 is still good in my eyes. With very little support I'm happy to label Jones a goal kicking mid, as I think his return was good considering the team's woeful output.

Let's look at Sydney's goal kicking mids:

Kennedy 27

Jack 25

Bolton 23

O'Keefe 20 (played as a mid this year)

McVeigh 16

And when you add Jetta's 45 from a wing/flank you can see how valuable their contribution has been. To have 4 our your contested ball winning mids kick 20 goals or more is sensational. Goodes also spends a bit of time in the middle.

Hawthorn

Lewis 27 (rotates between fwd and mid)

Smith 16

That's it. Mitchell has kicked 7, Shiels 7, Burgoyne 11, and Sewell 4.

Hawthorn obviously rely on their goals from different avenues, while Sydney will really need a big game from Reid. Even if he doesn't kick a bag he needs to contest like he never has before and create opportunities. Sydney will want plenty of stoppages in their forward 50. Limiting Franklin and Rioli will be the key.

Collingwood

Beams 28

Swan 25

Thomas 22

That's also a really good return from midfielders.

Adelaide round out this year's top 4

Dangerfield 23

Sloane 19

Vince 18

That's not a bad return. Adelaide are building something good, but need another A grade mid to complement this group and Thompson, who finished with 10.

I reckon Trengove can become a goal kicking mid, we know Jones has a knack, but we need to get so much more from our midfield. You don't have to kick goals as a mid to be a gun, but the ones that do are very valuable. Watson topped off his great year with 20.

Clark needs help in the forward-line, which is why I'd love to see the club target Jesse Hogan in the mini-draft, but after that I hope we draft some really talented mids and if they have a knack of kicking goals, like the beautifully balanced Jackson Macrae, even better. Harley Bennell of the Suns had a great year and kicked 25.

Viney and Jones will provide the grunt work, but if we can get some pace and goal kicking ability from the midfield into the team it will help no end.

I think Blease will be a good goal kicking mid next year

It's been a long time since Melbourne has had one. They are the best players in the comp. Ultra damaging and super reliable.

Have a look at Geelong's Premiership years:

Bartel 18

Chapman 30

Johnson 49

Ablett 30

Bartel 12

Chapman 37

Johnson 40

Varcoe 22

Ablett 27

Bartel 26

Chapman 24

Johnson 50

Varcoe 31

And this eliminates top inside mids Selwood and Kelly; plus Enright, Corey and Scarlett coming off half back. No friggin' surprise it's the best team of the modern era.

Edited by Geddy Lee

Thinking about this a little more, Jones and possibly Howe come to mind too. Jones is a proven goal kicker and it looks like Neeld is trying to turn Howie into a mid who can go forward and he didn't go too badly in the middle when he was there. I do like seeing him deep forward though...

• Like 1

Thinking about this a little more, Jones and possibly Howe come to mind too. Jones is a proven goal kicker and it looks like Neeld is trying to turn Howie into a mid who can go forward and he didn't go too badly in the middle when he was there. I do like seeing him deep forward though...

Sadly we only have one of him :-((

Howe is definitely being groomed as a goal-kicking midfielder, he has a natural attacking frame of mind and his other attributes are well known. Col should be kicking more goals, and when he played as a mid for the second half of the year he was clearly better. As you stated Jones had quite a good year (goals wise) and as we get better he'll be given more opportunities to kick more, we all know he loves a goal!

• Like 1

Just to end this thread:

Sydney - 7 goals from 4 mids: Kennedy 2, McVeigh 2, Jack 2, Hannebery 1

Hawthorn - 1 goal from 1 mid: Smith 1

Not to mention a couple to Malceski coming from the bleachers.

It's a good point and partly reflects the way the Swans play the game. Their relentless defensive pressure on anyone from the opposition sets this up and certainly made it difficult for the Hawks' small men to exert themselves yesterday.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Just to end this thread:

Sydney - 7 goals from 4 mids: Kennedy 2, McVeigh 2, Jack 2, Hannebery 1

Hawthorn - 1 goal from 1 mid: Smith 1

Wish I had have seen this thread before yesterday's match.

Completely agree with the need for goalkicking mids, and yesterday again proved the theory to be true.

It takes a lot of pressure off the forwards, and in the intense pressure of finals key forwards very rarely stand up and have huge games, dragging their team over the line.

You need a lot of avenues to scoring goals in a final, or else the quality opposition will have them closed off too easily.