Umpiring in the Finals

Apache

Having watched several of these finals it's clear that the umpiring interpretations are vastly different from the home and away matches. The amount of time allowed for the player being tackled to get rid of the ball and the interpretation of the method of release as "knocked out in the tackle" is amazing.

There has obviously been an instruction to allow this, and from my perspective it has dramatically improved the intensity of the contest.

I wonder if the success of these games will cause these "new" interpretations to apply next season?, and how our newly acquired "contested possession" mantra will be even more beneficial if it does?

• Like 1

Having watched several of these finals it's clear that the umpiring interpretations are vastly different from the home and away matches. The amount of time allowed for the player being tackled to get rid of the ball and the interpretation of the method of release as "knocked out in the tackle" is amazing.

There has obviously been an instruction to allow this, and from my perspective it has dramatically improved the intensity of the contest.

I wonder if the success of these games will cause these "new" interpretations to apply next season?, and how our newly acquired "contested possession" mantra will be even more beneficial if it does?

The fun part about this is that it's directly opposed to what the rules actually say. If the player has prior opportunity and the ball is knocked out of his hands in the tackle, it's holding the ball. The official "interpretations" are simply ways for the AFL powers that be to change rules without going through the proper process of the rules committee.

• Like 1

I actually hate that the umpires put their whistles away. Its good for the game to keep moving, but in my eyes the game should be umpired the same all season, so i dont like seeing such a drastic change in the way the game is officiated.

I actually hate that the umpires put their whistles away. Its good for the game to keep moving, but in my eyes the game should be umpired the same all season, so i dont like seeing such a drastic change in the way the game is officiated.

I think you are absolutely correct, DWA. What we all want to see is consistency throughout the year. Reasonable interpretations of the rules delivered consistently. Shouldn't be such a big ask, should it?

• Like 1

Agree, I just wish the home and away season was umpired like the finals.

Every year, the umpires seem to 'put the whistles away' come finals time.

Agree, I just wish the home and away season was umpired like the finals.

Every year, the umpires seem to 'put the whistles away' come finals time.

totally agree, as a player how frustrating would it be to play finals and not get free's that you had been given all year? The Eagles Pies game had alot of high contact that wasnt paid because there wasnt alot in it, BUT every one of them would have been paid in a home and away fixture.

Problem is the AFL chop and change and manipulate the rules as they see fit because they have no international governing body or other Elite comps which might kick back againt their constant tinkering.

By calling every little tiggy touchwood decision the umpires stupidly make it more difficult for themselves because it they then miss a soft free that they paid earlier they are immediately inconsistent.

Unfortunately they are instructed to umpire this way, whereas they should be instructed to only make decisions when they are 100% sure there was an infringement and that it had a negative impact on the opposition.

This would not only reduce inconsistency it would also reduce players acting up for soft free kicks which is becoming more common.

I hate that the umpires change the rules (interpretations and/or emphasis) for the finals, but I hate even more that the ALF spruikers (KB, The Geesh, etc) don't acknowledge it. Instead they trot out a frankly farcical geeshplanation that the players have adjusted to the umpiring.

• Like 1

totally agree, as a player how frustrating would it be to play finals and not get free's that you had been given all year? The Eagles Pies game had alot of high contact that wasnt paid because there wasnt alot in it, BUT every one of them would have been paid in a home and away fixture.

Problem is the AFL chop and change and manipulate the rules as they see fit because they have no international governing body or other Elite comps which might kick back againt their constant tinkering.

I suspect a lot more of them would have been paid in Perth DWA.

Particularly the WCE ones

• Like 1

But what about the one that was? NicNat got the slightest touch on the face while being monstered by Jolly and was immediately given a free in front of goal. While there was certainly contact to the face, it was the slightest brush across his cheek. Paying crap like that is one of the things ruining the game for supporters.

• Like 1

But what about the one that was? NicNat got the slightest touch on the face while being monstered by Jolly and was immediately given a free in front of goal. While there was certainly contact to the face, it was the slightest brush across his cheek. Paying crap like that is one of the things ruining the game for supporters.

agreed mate

Part of the reason the umpiring gets better in finals is because the AFL puts the best umpires in the games, weeding out the fails (like that idiot Leppard).

The main problem with umpiring overall is the tendency to pay marginal decisions which wouldn't have that much of an impact. Tiny pushes in the back, marginal contact to the shoulder/head, holding the ball when both players are holding each other, ruck infringements (the worst of the lost, probably) are infuriating and get in the way of the game.

Blatant free kicks should be paid. Otherwise, get on with the game and leave the marginal ones (exactly like they do in the fourth quarter of the finals).

• Like 1

I beg to differ from many of the views expressed above. IMHO, umpires have influenced events if not necessarily the final result) more during the finals than they did during the season. Evening up stats late in the game is also more prevalent.

I think that the umpires (although Rosebury?) have been just as apalling in the finals as they were during the season - only in a different way.

• Like 1

yeah it is good, they're letting the contests go for longer and not interrupting it! As long as they stay consistent through the whole finals series and don't chop and change all the time i'm happy :)

I beg to differ from many of the views expressed above. IMHO, umpires have influenced events if not necessarily the final result) more during the finals than they did during the season. Evening up stats late in the game is also more prevalent.

I think that the umpires (although Rosebury?) have been just as apalling in the finals as they were during the season - only in a different way.

I agree

I have always thought that head high and in the back were meant to be interpreted by the umpires to maintain the safety of players and in particular to protect the head.

Disposal has been so poorly umpired that the handball skill will not be required.

The AFL may be losing some of the features that makes our game unique as we move to a more homogenised Rugby maul satisfying those who like the intensity which may overtake the skill.

The run, spread, marking, one on one contests, which were the distinguishing features of our attacking forward pressing game have been gradually reduced with the defensive style which has predominated.

close tackling in the back and dropping or holding the ball are raffles that it seems the umpires have almost given up on.

As a sad commentary I thought that saturday was the first time I can ever recall the Pies getting the worst of the decisions. While I always maintain they play with a confidence and arrogance knowing they will benefit from free kick decisions I was impressed that they overcame the difference to win with determination. If Neeld can instil the same intensity into our sides we can see real progress

The rules of the game were designed for 2 reasons.

1. To prevent players getting hurt.

2. To prevent cheating.

I am appalled that umpires 'put the whistle away in the last quarter or in finals because a free kick is a free kick whether in the 1st or last quarter; players can get hurt or cheat in the last quarter so why stop officiating.

Having said that I agree that sometimes soft frees are given, like when the player is tackled in a way that there is no chance of injury ie tackled around the point of the shoulder or a flopping arm bouncing off a shoulder etc.

Umpires should be taught that if a tackle occurs when there is no likelihood of injury then the ump should use his discretion and allow play to continue.

Umpires know the rules and I'm convinced if they were taught the reason for the rule being in place we would have a better standard of umpiring.

The rules of the game were designed for 2 reasons.

1. To prevent players getting hurt.

2. To prevent cheating.

I am appalled that umpires 'put the whistle away in the last quarter or in finals because a free kick is a free kick whether in the 1st or last quarter; players can get hurt or cheat in the last quarter so why stop officiating.

Having said that I agree that sometimes soft frees are given, like when the player is tackled in a way that there is no chance of injury ie tackled around the point of the shoulder or a flopping arm bouncing off a shoulder etc.

Umpires should be taught that if a tackle occurs when there is no likelihood of injury then the ump should use his discretion and allow play to continue.

Umpires know the rules and I'm convinced if they were taught the reason for the rule being in place we would have a better standard of umpiring.

That's not what's happening. Players aren't getting away with throws or high bumps in fourth quarters.

What's happening is that umpires at the end of games, especially tight/tense ones, will refrain from looking for the technical free kicks. I'm talking little jumper pulls which mean nothing, hands in the back which mean nothing, simple bodywork at marking contest, ruckwork, incidental contact to the shoulder despite spoiling the ball, those kinds of things. The small, mainly 50/50 decisions which just don't need to be paid, aren't, if it's late in the game. But early on, these get paid.

The way the game is generally umpired late in close finals is how the game should always be umpired. Leave the small free kicks, just let the game go on, and only penalise when the incident is actually worthy of it.

There was a West Coast game over at Subi a few months back and as the umpires were walking off the ground, as they walked passed the fence, there was an Eagles fan holding up this huge sign saying "all we ask for is consistency".

That just about sums up what i want from the umpires.

What i don't understand is that the AFL have been doing everything they can to speed the game up, yet instruct the umpires not to call a ball up when a pack of players are over the ball. They seem to wait 10-15 seconds while players throw themselves in, or pretend to make an attempt to get it out. It is clear that the ball is not going to come out, or if it does is going to go 5 metres before we have the same situation again. There was one game i watched this year were the umpires did make a quick decision, and also threw the ball up quickly, and the play was a lot less congested. Unfortunately the next night they were back to normal, and we had scrum after scrum.