FAREWELL LIAM JURRAH

DemonDave

Why do you hope this of LJ? We'll never know the knitty grit ties of precisely why he left. I say good on him. If he plays for Port Adelaide then that's one for Dean Bailey!

err...Dean is at Adelaide...

Here's the truth of the matter.

Ive always been saying that Jurrah was not in our future plans and this isnt just because (and ive said it over and over despite being criticised) he will soon be in jail, but because he doesnt work hard enough and relies purely on talent rather than work-rate. He - like Wonnamerri - were exciting talents, but both are fails.

I saw Wonna up at Darwin airport way back in 2005 or 2006 and he said to a bloke with me that he 'didnt want to go back to Melbourne, hated the city and didnt want to play at the club.' - Pretty bl00dy clearly for all to hear without any concern.

So Im starting to lean towards the belief that the indigenous players at our club under Bailey were treated with kids gloves. They could walk around in public and diss the club apparently without any issues. Then when Neeld arrived suddenly Aaron Davey is allegedly telling Misfid that he is a racist and then denies it?? Seems strange to me given Liam's situation, the fact that a number of times this year Liam asked 'not to play.' What if after being treated with kid's gloves suddenly they are put under the pump?

• Like 3

It's an opinion. As valid as anyone else's.

No it's not. Validity is measured by the reliability of the information upon which the opinion is based.

You have no information, yet alone reliable information.

whether it is right or wrong i think liam has done a dis-service to other budding remote indiginous stars.

clubs will be very wary on going down this too often one-sided path

i don't think liam's manager has handled this at all well

very disappointed by this saga on many levels

• Like 2

If he has to go and live in Adelaide for family reasons, so be it. But he could have done it the right way and requested a trade instead of just walking out on the club. The Melbourne Football Club has stood by him through his troubles and he should have done the right thing.

• Like 5

You're blaming this on Neeld? Seriously? FFS our supporters can be utter morons some times - how about recognising the historical issues Liam had to deal with? How about some responsibility for the fact he has "allegedly" hacked someone in the head with a machete? This was a no-win situation for Neeld & the club, no matter what they did they would have been potted in a situation not of their own making.

I'm not blaming it on Neeld I'm saying each player has to be fitted into the club ethic in a way that is appropriate to their situation.

LJ, because he has a lot of unique issues, would seem to be in need of support and training regimes that would differ markedly from blokes like Jones (for example),or Watts. Its not really clear whether this has happened.In fact the public impression is that everyone at MFC is given the same treatment......despite the talk of tailored programs

I have noticed that in the past that Neeld has never addressed LJ's situation publicly.

This possibly may be appropriate though perhaps just one comment would have indicated he was treating each player in the way he felt was most likely to get 'results'.

I cant tell myself but his public performances dont make me warm to him and as I said thus far he's batting zero.

We'll see in due course.

In 5 years he may have the team of his liking and we'll all think he's a bit of a hard nut but he's doing the job.

I wonder how many of the list will be there.

5 years? I wonder if Neeld will be there...for the record I've said here and on Ology that I hope he has the total support of the Board and his coaching group.

I agree that it was pretty much a no win situation and that isnt Neelds fault. I noted that the Pies werent keen to take the risk even before the alleged attack. I wonder where Neeld was when that decision was made?

Everyone knows Liams situation and the difficulties he's had to deal with before and after the current matter. Do I have to include that in every post? I think its a given....obviously.

I am questioning Neelds judgement though.

Another lesson learnt and part of the professionalism and end to risk taking. Many have spoken of the bad draft picks and mistakes throughout Demonland but I may have missed something but nobody mentions taking Jurrah over Rockliff, that has proved a mistake.

All very well to say if LJ could have got on the field regularly he would have been a star, don't think he had the committment and dedication and that is not meant as a slight on Liam it is part of his background, which none of us can ever understand.

I don't care if he plays again I just hope he sorts out his court matter and get on with his life.

He was a freak of a footballer and left us with many memories on the highlight reel.

I don't think Neeld and the FD will take any future risks recruiting players like this

As well as that I hope we abandon this foolish push in to Darwin, it will lead us nowhere.

• Like 5

Another friggin TIME WASTER.

All that babysitting and bullsh!t.

I dont wish you well Liam .

Why should I/We?

He is a dog without the loyalty .

• Like 2

Recently in Adelaide Liam has been in contact with Dean Bailey, whom he shares a good relationship with. It was suggested to me that this is where he will be playing next year.

If true we should quickly chat $$$$ to McKay before he finalises his deal.

• Like 1

Why do you hope this of LJ? We'll never know the knitty grit ties of precisely why he left. I say good on him. If he plays for Port Adelaide then that's one for Dean Bailey!

Thai = your probably a great bloke, but gees pretty much everything that you post is ordinary.

Dean is at Adelaide, not Port Adelaide, you love Jurrah despite the fact he had zero impact this year in a side that basically had no forwards bar one and who asked three times not to play this season despite the coach thinking he was alright to play.

And after getting himself in this mess (and I can understand the cultural issues up there because my wife's mum works in Kintore community) he hangs around the club for a year, puts in a half-arsed effort either because he is too stressed or distracted, and then pulls the pin at the end of the year.

Im not overly angry with Jurrah. Im reasonably sure he would have been moved on at season's end either way. But the whole scenario has really been a distraction for the club.

• Like 1

So disapointing he wont be with us next year and he's gonna be a force if he lines up with adelaide...

Alright mfc time to pull up your socks and get us something of value for him...anyone think a playr + 2nd rnd pick is out of the question?

I'm not blaming it on Neeld I'm saying each player has to be fit into the club ethic in a way that is appropriate to their ...

I remember an interview Neeld gave earlier in the year, and he was saying how Liam had just told him he wasn't ready to play yet (despite being given the all clear). Neeld related this "news" with raised eyebrows as if to say it was not the way he'd expect a professional player to act.

• Like 2

No it's not. Validity is measured by the reliability of the information upon which the opinion is based.

You have no information, yet alone reliable information.

Bruce Hearn McKinnon, Rupert Betheras, Eddie McQuire all have strong links to Liam.

Collingwood need a foil for Cloke with Dawes on the wane. Hell they'll be desperate if indeed Cloke himself leaves.

All simple, available and verifiable information.

But whatever, you go on whinging.

Edited by Range Rover

Mark my words - Liam Jurrah will never play AFL again. Adelaide - pushing for a premiership - will not take the risk and Port is his only hope - but with a new coach coming in demanding stronger fitness? Given his efforts this season your kidding yourself if you think either club will pick him up.

As far as trades go

At trade time he is out of contract

He can just go into the draft as an uncontracted player and take his chances

Realistically only the 2 SA clubs would bid on him if at all

The fact he walked says it all

He doesn't need to get involved in trades

Even if he did he is such a risk the trade-return would be minimal

Quite simply.....and call me a bastard if you will but the clubs focus now ought to be on fair and conmensurate compensation, if...and this is the kicker, IF Liams goes or attempts to link up with any AFL club.

Quite frankly if the club doesnt then its lame.

Sean Charles Mk II...........will never recover from his wrist injury, and no matter where he plays, he will not be the same as he was for us.