Stef Martin

Gippsland Dee

I'd be actively seeking to trade Martin in the off season.

If Nathan Jones' most recent interview says anything, it's that competitiveness in a ruck man is essential for the midfield to work as a collective (re spencer). I don't believe stef has this hardness in centre contests. Sure he's athletically gifted and has good speed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't fit into the type of list Neeld is trying to build.

2011 was a good year for Martin and Jamar. I like Stef for his ground work and run.He makes second and third efforts after the bounce.
  • Like 1

Fitzy was great is yesterday's Casey game, the Pies got murdered by Eagles with Jolly out. One of our ruck options would be tradable.

• Like 1

Let's see a 198cm 100kg player with serious speed and a strong leap. And who held our ruck division together last year by himself. Yet some of you guys want to get rid of him??

It defies belief.

• Like 8

Jnrmac, he is worth something. WE hang on to bit-part players for too long. He wont hold down a KP. He is a shithouse kick. He cannot mark the ball. We have three spares. TRADE HIM!

Guest KingDingAling

We probably could trade him, but it will hurt us more than help us.

Martin is our best ruckman and by a very very long way.

Jamar is as good as done, blind Freddy can see that.

Martin is capable of being in the top 5 ruckman in the league next year.

The way the game is going, will only work in his favour aswell.

Stef is still improving aswell, definately keep this kid.

• Like 2

Let's see a 198cm 100kg player with serious speed and a strong leap. And who held our ruck division together last year by himself. Yet some of you guys want to get rid of him??

It defies belief.

Your not wrong. Amazing how people will write a bloke off as expendable just because they haven't seen him play for a litlte while. I don't precieve that we have a surplus of rucks ATM. As we've seen they are prone to injury, even Spencer I'd keep for a another season at least and then weigh things up once Max and Martin are back on the park.

Jnrmac, he is worth something. WE hang on to bit-part players for too long. He wont hold down a KP. He is a shithouse kick. He cannot mark the ball. We have three spares. TRADE HIM!

Nail on head there. WE hang on to bit-part players who could've, should've, didn't.

Stef hasn't crossed to that last line so this could be the last chance to sell high. He still has attributes that clubs are craving for.

Sell high if I've ever seen one.

Jamar almost done??? I thought he was eased back very nicely through Scorps yesterday, thank you very much! Long rests but played out four quarters and no sign of calf injury. He took control of the stoppages whenever he came on, had more and more influence as the game wore on. Will be back for final round. Jamar is a weapon because he is as strong as an ox and evey opposition ruckman knows it... He gets man-handled at every ruck contest but has the smarts and is rarely beaten to the ball. Needs a smarter mid-field around him and we will start to dominate... Only West Coast ahead of us in my opinion.

Edited by waynewussell

He's a 'shithouse kick' but you want to keep Spencer and Fitzpatrick as spares? Not to mention Jamar (who at least doesn't kick because he knows his limitations) and Gawn who has only had 15 league kicks. Martin's a better kick than any of them. Not that any of them are world class mind you... but at least he gets kicks.

I'm not suggesting he should be the #1 and you'd go into a season with him on his own, but with Jamar he's a good combination and can kick goals - which is more than you can see for most of our list.

With Jamar having had one injury free season in the last five, and the three backups either unproven or decidedly average I'd rather keep somebody who can do a job.

• Like 1

I agree with mids because they are a dime a dozen. But these guys aren't.

There is a reasonable argument to say he has been better than than Jamar as a ruck since Jamar was AA. He is not a Morton who I think is beyond saving.

It's like Ben Holland a few years ago and even Sellar today, They aren't champions but they can play a role and they aren't easy to replace.

So I say to those that don't want to keep Stef what are you going to replace him with and who replaces Jamar if he goes down??

• Like 1

I agree with mids because they are a dime a dozen. But these guys aren't.

There is a reasonable argument to say he has been better than than Jamar as a ruck since Jamar was AA. He is not a Morton who I think is beyond saving.

It's like Ben Holland a few years ago and even Sellar today, They aren't champions but they can play a role and they aren't easy to replace.

So I say to those that don't want to keep Stef what are you going to replace him with and who replaces Jamar if he goes down??

Stef Martin has not improved and will not play disciplined footy - time to go.

Jamar hasn't been available all year (most of it) and Spencer is going okayish.

Martin's +'s: good athelite, composure and kicking accuracy.

Martin's -'s: form up and down and has had trouble breaking in the side this year although injuries have taken their tole.

The thing that always worried me about Martin was that when he kicked into the forward 50 and hit up a target he seemed surprised... :)

Martin is our best ruckman and by a very very long way.

Jamar is as good as done, blind Freddy can see that.

Martin is capable of being in the top 5 ruckman in the league next year..

A very big call.

Either that says our's and the AFLs ruck stocks are terrible, or Martin is wildly beyond nearly everyone's opinion of him.

Is he a friend of yours?

It defies belief.

I like Stef for his ground work and run.He makes second and third efforts after the bounce.

Exactly my thinking! There are not many ruckman in the game who have the ground level skills that he has and he continually gives good 2nd and 3rd efforts! He is the sort of ruckman that is becoming more and more important. An athletic type who can do more than just be a big lumbering ruckman. as i've been saying he has pace and agillity and these assets of his are becoming more important to being a successful and dominating ruckman in the game nowadays!

I'd rather see Neeld develop Spencer, Fitz and Gawn than see more game time given to Martin.

His biggest value to us IMO is as part of a trade with pick 13 for a quality midfielder or small fwd.

He's Gawn.

If you really think Spencer will ever be better than Martin there is no hope for you. Order your brain transplant now..

I'd rather see Neeld develop Spencer, Fitz and Gawn than see more game time given to Martin.

His biggest value to us IMO is as part of a trade with pick 13 for a quality midfielder or small fwd.

He's Gawn.

Martin already offers more all over the ground than Spencer will ever offer us.

I am not saying that shouldn't trade him for a good deal, but he isn't a bit-part player.

He is the best second ruck option we have by a mile.

Gawn is a first ruck, not a secondary ruck options, so unless we have loads of confidence in Fitzpatrick, we will be left without a decent second ruck option if we get rid of Martin.

It defies belief.

I'm with you. I read it but I don't believe it, ( I feel like Anthony Hudson in the Swans v Cats final).