Lynden Dunn - yes or no?

titan_uranus

Lynden Dunn in 2013 - yes or no?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Morton

Bail

Evans

Bennell

Bartram

Ricky P

Spencer

Green (ret)

Davey (should ret)

Moloney (should trade)

I've listed a number of players who IMO could be considered for trade,,, or delisting.

I think we'll take about 5 kids + recruit about 3 senior players & maybe 1 Veteran? (8 - 9 senior changes needed)

Close to the Edge:

............................................#Consider seriously.............................................#Act to move...........................................#Gone

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Bartram, Clint - rookie/retire

• >>>>>>>>>>> #Bate, Matthew

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Bennell, Jamie - rookie/delist

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Davey, Aaron - retire

• >>>>>>>>>>> #Dunn, Lynden

• Gysberts, Jordan

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Jurrah, Liam - possible rookie

• >>>>>>>>>>> #Macdonald, Joel

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Moloney Brent (RFA) - trade

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Morton, Cale - seek a trade

• >>>>>>>>>>> #Petterd, Ricky

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Rivers, Jared (RFA) - seek a trade

• Spencer, Jake

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Sylvia, Colin - seek a trade
  • ------------

• >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Green, Brad - retire
  • -------------
  • >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #Lawrence, Kelvin - delisted

Edited by dee-luded

God how desperate are we for a glimmer of anything that we're ( some ) considering Dunn a fair dinkum keeper.

Do we really have the bar that low ?

If were to be truly competitve we need to measure ourselves by the top half dozen teams. Which of any would a player like Dunn get a game in ?

I'll be gob smacked if this is the ilk we awant to hang on to.. we may well end up doing so as you can only get rid of so many each year,but it must be only because we have to not because we want to.

I don't think anyone is saying Dunn is the standard of player we want, but the reality is we can't get rid of everyone and get a team of toughnut stars overnight, so some players who are not awesome will be around for another year or two while we turn it all over, so it's really more of a question about how far back in the line Lynden is...

He does this every contract year, has half a season of decent footy.

I said these exact words the last time he earned a 'reprieve' (read contract):

The only reason there are so many people touting his form of late is because he is coming from such a low base.

With that said, he may stay, but he, like about 10 others, will be waiting until mid-October. And even then, he will have to want to stay.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is saying Dunn is the standard of player we want, but the reality is we can't get rid of everyone and get a team of toughnut stars overnight, so some players who are not awesome will be around for another year or two while we turn it all over, so it's really more of a question about how far back in the line Lynden is...

That is what i actually said ...i.e we may end up keeping him depending upon the line's length. Lucky us.
  • Like 1

Lynden would not be in the top 60% if players in the competition (would be happy for someone to produce some sort of stats here - maybe supercoach points/minutes played?).

So the questions for me are (a) can he find a spot where he can get the best out of himself and (B) can he improve to become, say, top 30%?

On the former, he has had lots of different roles and opportunities to achieve what he has.

On the latter, for me, I just can't see it.

We must aspire to be elite on every measure. Lynden isn't elite.

So I'd trade him.

I'm not fazed over Dunn. If he stays it'll be as the 40th-ish player, if he goes we won't lose out too much.

A shame - on mum's wall at the family home, she still has a paper cut-out from the day after we rolled the Cats at the G on a Friday night intimating that he'd be our replacement for David Neitz. How far away any thought such as that seems.

• Like 1

Agreed that he is not the elite that we are striving for, but for now he is one of a very few that we probably need to keep for another year. We can't just delist the lot, otherwise we're starting from scratch yet again. I'd argue that out of the Old Guard, Rivers, Joel Mac and Dunn are still worth having around.

I'm not fazed over Dunn. If he stays it'll be as the 40th-ish player, if he goes we won't lose out too much.

A shame - on mum's wall at the family home, she still has a paper cut-out from the day after we rolled the Cats at the G on a Friday night intimating that he'd be our replacement for David Neitz. How far away any thought such as that seems.

Yep, I remember that game - rainy night; Chapman shines in an otherwise sloppy affair, as the Dees outmuscle the Cats. How things have changed since then! Actually, I remember my mate comparing him to Schwarz at the time (when Ox was young and skinny - yes there was a time). Didn't we draft him as a forward? For some reason, Bailey tried to turn him into a midfielder. Wonder what he'd say his preferred position is if he were asked.

Round 6, 2006.

Neitz was a late withdrawal, I remember thinking "here we go..."

Dunn started well but midway through the 3rd we were getting done. Hunt took a mark 30 out from goal and mocked a Melbourne player - he missed and we came back to win by a kick (thanks in part to a wonderful Davey goal from deep in the pocket toward the city end.

A lifetime ago.

Round 6, 2006.

Dunn started well but midway through the 3rd we were getting done. Hunt took a mark 30 out from goal and mocked a Melbourne player - he missed and we came back to win by a kick (thanks in part to a wonderful Davey goal from deep in the pocket toward the city end.

A lifetime ago.

I still wear my 2006 scarf.

Round 6, 2006.

A lifetime ago.

Oh man I'd forgotten that incident with Hunt! That was such a good win.

I miss the times where we were decent.

My list of delistings

Bate

Dunn

Bennell reluctantly

Spencer if we get Cloke/Grundy

J Mc

bartram

Sellar

All players above a mediocre at best and show no consistency. Rather have excited kids giving it their all over these guys.

No disrespect intended, however if we want to climb the ladder we cannot continue to have passengers

How 'bout when he give Chapman the cheapy in the ribs but then carped himself when Chapman retaliated.

Not the 1st time either.

I don't mind him dishing the cheapys but stand yer ground when the reaction comes.

Not consistant enough and wouldn't worry me in the slightest if he went.

• Like 1

To me, Dunn has engine, long kick and...not much more. He seems to me to be more of an athlete than a footballer. In my view he doesn't have a natural football brain so doesn't really know where to run to or how to defend. And if he's at that stage of his development after 8 years, I see no value in keeping him. His colleague, Matthew Bate, on the other hand, does appear to have a football brain but not enough skill to go with it. So, I'd move them both on.

And if "waving arms around" does become an Olympic sport, Dunn's got the gold medal sewn up already.

• Like 1

How 'bout when he give Chapman the cheapy in the ribs but then carped himself when Chapman retaliated.

Not the 1st time either.

I don't mind him dishing the cheapys but stand yer ground when the reaction comes.

Not consistant enough and wouldn't worry me in the slightest if he went.

There's a part of me (not sure how serious) that in part blames Dunn for 186.

110 or so down before half time, Dunn decides to dust up Chapman.

We were getting pounded but I feel like Geelong would've eased up as often happens in thrashings and the game would've petered out into a measly 160 odd point loss. But no - not after Dunn gave them even more ammunition to annihilate us with.

In fact that's it- he should go just for that alone.

• Like 1

In my mind, Lynden Dunn stays - for a number of reasons. It appears Neeld is a fan and has finally allowed him to settle into a new position of which he is making a pretty good fist. He is providing some great rebound off the half backline and has also become a worthy designated kicker after a behind. I don't think I've yet see him stuff this up which has been a long term issue for us, and has a booming kick as an extra weapon.

If we use the moneyball theory of recruiting, then he sits in our midst as the sort of cheaper option we would be looking to trade for anyway. He is a strong body, resilient from injury and can play a role (or several). With the salary cap squeeze, he is a cheap option to maintain while still stockpiling hopefully better talent at the other end of the spectrum. Every club needs lower grade handy depth players and he is that at the very least. As someone said earlier, there is a bottom six at every club, whether it's best 22 botton six or bottom six on the list and if Dunn is part of either list then he is worth more to us than he would be of value at the trade table.

I also think the fact he has been on the list for 8 years is irrelevant. He is responding to the demands of the new coaching panel and has adapted probably better than all of our other senior core players, a core of which can't be totally decimated as there needs to be a list balance of age and experience with something good to offer. I would bracket him with Jared Rivers to a large extent in terms of this and while both are on the the "contracts on hold" list, as moneyball options we already own them and if both are embracing the new way, then this should be rewarded after the club conducts its due diligence with free agency.

On the flipside they are obviously not unexpendable and they also may choose to ply their trade elsewhere, but I would keep both and would be surprised if they are not in Melbourne jumpers next year. There are many others before them whose form is simply not worthy of a place on the list. Good form should be rewarded, while poor form and/or an inability to comply with the new way will pave the way for a walk out the door - and there are many others more deserving of that fate than Jared Rivers and Lynden Dunn.

• Like 2

Dunn is annoying, he is just a pest, he is the kind of player you don't want to play against, which is one of the reasons I like him in the red and blue! He is the kind of player who actually I really want to keep on our list because despite all his cheapies and niggly actions, he is arguably the most competitive player in our team, he gives 110% and players like that you want to keep around the club. His kicking although it is not elite, his long kicking is actually nearly the best in our team, and although of late I have been to frustrated to watch many Melbourne matches his kick outs seem to be working as he can get it over into the gaps of a press. Despite his deficiencies his athleticism and fitness are very good, he is a big competitive lad and we do not have anywhere near enough of them at our club so I hope we keep him

I think Dunn is a Heffernan type that in a good side would be a handy pinch hitter but in a poor side is not quite skilled enough to make something of it himself. I feel he should be on the trade table and his future dependant on who else can be picked up. Not to be delisted regardless as some others.

Well that's four, but OK..

The attitude is fake and only comes out when we're on top. He's actually quite soft and squibs contests.

He's not 'strong' defensively; he's adequate. And he can go forward about as well as Stefan Martin.

His long kick shouldn't be enough to keep him.

Heh heh. Four? I wondered if you'd bite at that. Yeah nah it's only three. Good at both ends says flexibility is the attribute.

Has a much better record up front than Stef.

You'll need to offer examples of squibbing. I don't recall any.

In my mind, Lynden Dunn stays - for a number of reasons. It appears Neeld is a fan and has finally allowed him to settle into a new position of which he is making a pretty good fist. He is providing some great rebound off the half backline and has also become a worthy designated kicker after a behind. I don't think I've yet see him stuff this up which has been a long term issue for us, and has a booming kick as an extra weapon.

If we use the moneyball theory of recruiting, then he sits in our midst as the sort of cheaper option we would be looking to trade for anyway. He is a strong body, resilient from injury and can play a role (or several). With the salary cap squeeze, he is a cheap option to maintain while still stockpiling hopefully better talent at the other end of the spectrum. Every club needs lower grade handy depth players and he is that at the very least. As someone said earlier, there is a bottom six at every club, whether it's best 22 botton six or bottom six on the list and if Dunn is part of either list then he is worth more to us than he would be of value at the trade table.

I also think the fact he has been on the list for 8 years is irrelevant. He is responding to the demands of the new coaching panel and has adapted probably better than all of our other senior core players, a core of which can't be totally decimated as there needs to be a list balance of age and experience with something good to offer. I would bracket him with Jared Rivers to a large extent in terms of this and while both are on the the "contracts on hold" list, as moneyball options we already own them and if both are embracing the new way, then this should be rewarded after the club conducts its due diligence with free agency.

On the flipside they are obviously not unexpendable and they also may choose to ply their trade elsewhere, but I would keep both and would be surprised if they are not in Melbourne jumpers next year. There are many others before them whose form is simply not worthy of a place on the list. Good form should be rewarded, while poor form and/or an inability to comply with the new way will pave the way for a walk out the door - and there are many others more deserving of that fate than Jared Rivers and Lynden Dunn.

Top post. Totally agree.

Im over Dunn. 8 years of tease but little demonstrable talent.

I know what he gives and he aint good enough.

The only thing saving him is there is a logjam of similar NQR players that have to go. Its his only saving grace.

Good at both ends says flexibility is the attribute.

Has a much better record up front than Stef.

You'll need to offer examples of squibbing. I don't recall any.

In 8 years Dunn has not nailed a position fwd,midfield or back. Its an indictment in such a poor team.

And better record than Stef Martin up forward is setting the bar incredibly low.

As for squibbing, Dunn has always ducked his head going for contest marks.

• Like 1