All Hail Tom McDonald

Jesse Christ

young under-20-gamer who has some obvious potential but some serious deficincies at this stage. -nevertheless a portion of the supporter base declares he will become a star. We've seen a billion of these come through and almost none have actually become stars, so I'll wait and see thanks. Blease is exactly the same. We have shown we are not able to produce the 'complete' player and our young blokes who can't kick or have a poor work ethic or whatever rarely work these flaws out of their game

Skeptical but I agree with you. Let's wait a little while before we get too excited, though what he has done so far this year has been impressive.

Looking forward to him having a crack in the forward line, as he was drafted as a CHF wasn't he?

Pity he may aswell play for the opposition with his disposal! Other than being the worst kick in the team he is a gun

Didn't see the game on Sunday, but I would have thought 23 disposals at 70% efficiency was not all that bad.

Some improvement obviously needed in this area but not the worst in the team surely.

Poise and maturity beyond his 19 years of age, at pick number 53- he has easily been the best value pick for the MFC over the last 10 years. I know it's only early days, but young McDonald is showing all the signs of a 200 gamer backman, and a future AA fullback. Only weighs in at 88Kg (apparently) and still has a lot of development game and body wise to come.

A major shining light in the doomy Melbourne landscape. Hats off to the recruiting team for this coup! Wraped with this kid!

Humility is keeping his head straight,,, & the right size for his body. Thats why he's developing well.

Lets not pump his tyres too hard.

very confident with backs like Frawley .Macdonald ,Watts ,Blease , Rivers back there .

Thank god for this guy this year.

The one thing that may let him down is his propensity to try and wrong foot his opponent all the time; the opposition coaches will work this out and he might get caught with the ball a bit. On the other hand he is pretty strong and can break a tackle.

The one thing that may let him down is his propensity to try and wrong foot his opponent all the time; the opposition coaches will work this out and he might get caught with the ball a bit. On the other hand he is pretty strong and can break a tackle.

Spot a Robbie it is his signature move and I've thought the same, although Scarlett has a quick direction change signature move and he's got away with it for his career so maybe not all forwards and coaches are that smart.

Spot a Robbie it is his signature move and I've thought the same, although Scarlett has a quick direction change signature move and he's got away with it for his career so maybe not all forwards and coaches are that smart.

You got that right.

Yesterday he was always with his man when it counted and made a good contest. That's what matters. Everything else can be improved.

Chip s good at this as well. Tom may be learning off others.

Now to improve his disposal skills. It will happen.

Great pick and shows that determination and guts sometimes is worth more than potential and reputation

I was at the game yesterday and had a guy behind me that wore red and blue but gave Tom hell. I watched him fairy closely and his kicking wasnt great but it seemed to be that after two or three efforts in defense and then getting the ball on the rebound he was kicking tired. A couple of preseasons will fix that.

Chip s good at this as well. Tom may be learning off others.

Now to improve his disposal skills. It will happen.

Great pick and shows that determination and guts sometimes is worth more than potential and reputation

" determination and guts sometimes is worth more than potential and reputation"

I would say "the vast majority of the time"

His disposal efficiency is 2.5% above the AFL average. It amazes me how so many of you can only see the negatives in everything and averyone involved with this club.

Disposal percentage is a crock of poo, because you can handball it to a team mate under pressure and that's an effective disposal, I don't particularly think that his disposal by foot is not acceptable for an afl player and as he often intercepts the ball he kicks it always, I've seen countless direct turnovers from him result in goals but I've also seen him save goals through spoils and intercept marks. But he needs work on it in my opinion especially if he is going to continue to think he will be able to charge out of the backline with the pill!

Disposal percentage is a crock of poo, because you can handball it to a team mate under pressure and that's an effective disposal, I don't particularly think that his disposal by foot is not acceptable for an afl player and as he often intercepts the ball he kicks it always, I've seen countless direct turnovers from him result in goals but I've also seen him save goals through spoils and intercept marks. But he needs work on it in my opinion especially if he is going to continue to think he will be able to charge out of the backline with the pill!

The disposal figures I use come from a company that defines disposal efficiency as 'that which results in an attacking or effective defensive thrust for the team'. Disposals that result in a teammate being put under unnecessary pressure is assessed as ineffective.

The disposal figures I use come from a company that defines disposal efficiency as 'that which results in an attacking or effective defensive thrust for the team'. Disposals that result in a teammate being put under unnecessary pressure is assessed as ineffective.

Ah fair enough, how's his kicking efficiency as opposed to handball, then his long kicking as opposed to his short kicking, maybe it's just his bad kicks are really bad so it's sticks in my head more, but I do not really think wow he uses the ball well, or that was a good kick when he does dispose of the ball.

Nice reply, angry one.

2 things that hurt his disposal

1. He takes the game on and makes aggressive decisions

2. He's often off balance due to point 1 and thats usually when he misses targets

I'd love to see him get some tough jobs in the last 4 weeks - Riewoldt, Cameron, Walker and Pavlich. See where he is after those!

2 things that hurt his disposal

1. He takes the game on and makes aggressive decisions

2. He's often off balance due to point 1 and thats usually when he misses targets

I'd love to see him get some tough jobs in the last 4 weeks - Riewoldt, Cameron, Walker and Pavlich. See where he is after those!

He has already held his own against Riewoldt. That's when others apart from demonland took notice of him. Cameron is too agile for tom he will go to chippa Walker and Pav are tough asks for anyone.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell

His greatest strength i reading the play... He really has a knack of just being in the right spot all the time.

I've seen him nail some fantastic kicks, so I believe he may be able to improve in this area over time. Hopefully works on his pace a little too.

Very solid year...would probably pick him ahead of Garland at this stage, he doesn't let himself down with silly frees.