Terry Wallace on our trading/drafting

This old chestnut..?

Didn't realise Wallace was in charge of recruitment and list management - I was under the impression he was the head coach.

Surely the coach decides what type of players he wants and the direction the club should take, but isn't responsible for judging the ability of these picks in isolation.

The recruiting manager should shoulder the blame for this one.

As a senior coach, you'd think he'd have some say in who gets drafted?

Due diligence was lacking.

I get the sarcasm, but I really do have faith in our ability to effectively develop players now.

Blease looks to be a bit better every week, and he seems to be maturing.

Tommy McDonald is great value for a late pick in spite of his

Tapscott showed signs of it starting to click for him.

Watts has shown serious improvement this year.

Ditto Morton - as bad as some may think he has been, he has shown some serious improvement from the last few seasons.

The development thing is like an old joke that's not really relevant now.

Mind you, that's faith, but not blind faith.

well i'm sure you will pardon me if i adopt old dee's pov and say i will believe it when it happens

mind you i hope you are correct but at this stage i reserve judgement

• Like 1

This old chestnut..?

Didn't realise Wallace was in charge of recruitment and list management - I was under the impression he was the head coach.

Surely the coach decides what type of players he wants and the direction the club should take, but isn't responsible for judging the ability of these picks in isolation.

The recruiting manager should shoulder the blame for this one.

Didn't Wallet overrule his recruiting manager at the 2005 draft and demanded JON with their first pick, instead of whoever their recruiter had in mind?

Guest José Mourinho

Didn't Wallet overrule his recruiting manager at the 2005 draft and demanded JON with their first pick, instead of whoever their recruiter had in mind?

Not heard this, but I'd find it pretty bloody funny if it were true!

Guest José Mourinho

Was done today on TAC Cup FutureStars.

I didn't get to watch it cos I had to rush off to the game.

Doubt you'll find video of it, or a transcript. It's a fairly pedestrian tv show light on real content.

Do you? Sylvia and pick 13 for Caddy. Did you see Caddy play today? 11 possies and not much better last few games. If we had any chance to get him I would offer some of our Queensland players, Spencer, Petterd and Bail. They have no rucks other than Smith and could be desperate for someone of Spencer's size.

Me too Redleg I would not give two bob for Caddy

Caddy can play. Don't worry about that. He is not the 30 plus possession accumulator that others are, but he is hard as nails and is a goalkicker.

No selling of the soul for him but certainly worth a shot if we can get at him.

For those interested, i can tell you that he is still unsure on what he wants to do with his future. For all the benefits of living on the gold coast, all his mates are here, he likes the idea of playing AFL back in Melbourne for a Melbourne team, close to family and friends and is leaning that way. The question is which team.

I believe Essendon is still his preference however Melbourne are well and truly in the market. Source won't be revealed however this is the accurate position of where things are at with him.

• Like 3

Caddy can play. Don't worry about that. He is not the 30 plus possession accumulator that others are, but he is hard as nails and is a goalkicker.

For those interested, i can tell you that he is still unsure on what he wants to do with his future. For all the benefits of living on the gold coast, all his mates are here, he likes the idea of playing AFL back in Melbourne for a Melbourne team, close to family and friends and is leaning that way. The question is which team.

I believe Essendon is still his preference however Melbourne are well and truly in the market. Source won't be revealed however this is the accurate position of where things are at with him.

Have heard similar and also think he can play.

Look Terry wasnt a d!ck about it and many have been. He is the first to admit he didnt get everything right at Richmond etc. So it wasnt grandstanding as such, more just a look at our picks and then an assessment of what our list could have looked like had we chosen differently. he wasnt as harsh on us as he was on North melb last week apparently.

The best part was his suggestions of how we could trade and draft out of our hole but how this season's trade period and drafting is vital. They showed one young bloke they call the 'human highlight' who is a born leader and just gets the ball constantly. Cant remember his name as I was baby sitting so was distracted.

So sure, Wallace has a [censored] record but it was just interesting more in terms of what he thought we should do to get out of our problem:

Go for Cloke (which surprised me)

Trade for Caddy with pick 13 and Moloney or Sylvia plus an agreement that they will not force us to nominate Viney (who he rates as second round)

use pick 4 to get Martin or that Human Highlight. Focus on midfielders and runners out of back half.

Just got home from the Presidents lunch and those who feel we are interested in Caddy will be happy to know the club are definitely keen on him. Some of his family were guests there today and mentioned the club has let him know we are interested.

Stoked about this - he hasn't dominated yet but has shown glimpses in an average side and is only 20. He has a hard body and can find the goals, something sorely lacking from our midfield group. Hope we can get a deal done.

Was done today on TAC Cup FutureStars.

I didn't get to watch it cos I had to rush off to the game.

Doubt you'll find video of it, or a transcript. It's a fairly pedestrian tv show light on real content.

Should be up on aussierul.es.com in the next day or so - will download and have a look.

The thing is will be close to impossible for Essendon to work a deal for him. They won't want to give up a player GC would want and won't have a draft pick until the late 30's to trade (considering Daniher will be a first round pick).

On topic - the only two draft picks I'm really filthy on the club on was taking Cook instead of Darling and taking Gysberts instead of Talia because I thought that we should have taken Darling and Talia at the time. Can't say I was paying close enough attention before 2009 or knew as much about the players available so can't really say I'm disappointed in the picks. But before the respective drafts I wanted Darling & Talia and was disappointed we let them slip.

I still think Strauss & Blease can be proven to be decent pick ups especially if they can have a couple of injury free seasons. Gysberts & Tapscott have also missed a fair chunk of their careers through injury as have Bennell, Jetta & Gawn (though Gawn we obviously knew about beforehand and took a punt). The main issue we've had is keeping our draft picks injury free in order to develop them, it's hard to do that when they can't even get out on the track.

• Like 2

Go for Cloke (which surprised me)

Trade for Caddy with pick 13 and Moloney or Sylvia plus an agreement that they will not force us to nominate Viney (who he rates as second round)

use pick 4 to get Martin or that Human Highlight. Focus on midfielders and runners out of back half.

I'm warming to Cloke - will be a good lead up/high half forward playing from 40-80 metres from goal with Clark (and hopefully Jurrah) playing 0-40 metres from goal. His main deficiency is his goal-kicking but playing a high half forward role will give us a strong target coming out of defence and he has a booming kick to get it down to Clark/Jurrah/Howe quickly.

Would definitely give up 13 & Sylvia or Moloney for Caddy (preferably Moloney).

Did he mean pick 4 for a GWS 17YO Draft Pick? Not sure we can afford to draft a player who can't play for a year, we need to inject players into our team from R1, 2013. Adding 2 midifielders with picks 3 & 4, Caddy, Viney & Cloke would be a massive win and boost to our team for next year - if we were able to snag Cloke we wouldn't need Hogan (17yo KPF).

Just shows his ignorance. Firstly the AFL has already said that if it gets wind of an such agreement it will be considered draft tampering and the clubs involved will be sanctioned severely, and secondly the FS nominations are before the trade period, so how do you work that into a trade?

I still think Strauss & Blease can be proven to be decent pick ups especially if they can have a couple of injury free seasons. Gysberts & Tapscott have also missed a fair chunk of their careers through injury as have Bennell, Jetta & Gawn (though Gawn we obviously knew about beforehand and took a punt). The main issue we've had is keeping our draft picks injury free in order to develop them, it's hard to do that when they can't even get out on the track.

This is something that these so-called experts have consistently failed to recognise. It's all very well to say that our early picks have not come on and aren't getting games, but it's pretty hard to get games or improve when you're on crutches. Of our early picks for the last few years, the only one who has not spent a substantial amount of time out injured is Watts, and he's going along nicely (to the extent that they've all but stopped talking about him). We still need to wait until they have put together a full pre-season and season to find out what they are made of, and not one of that group have managed it yet.

• Like 2

Stoked about this - he hasn't dominated yet but has shown glimpses in an average side and is only 20. He has a hard body and can find the goals, something sorely lacking from our midfield group. Hope we can get a deal done.

Should be up on aussierul.es.com in the next day or so - will download and have a look.

The thing is will be close to impossible for Essendon to work a deal for him. They won't want to give up a player GC would want and won't have a draft pick until the late 30's to trade (considering Daniher will be a first round pick).

On topic - the only two draft picks I'm really filthy on the club on was taking Cook instead of Darling and taking Gysberts instead of Talia because I thought that we should have taken Darling and Talia at the time. Can't say I was paying close enough attention before 2009 or knew as much about the players available so can't really say I'm disappointed in the picks. But before the respective drafts I wanted Darling & Talia and was disappointed we let them slip.

Sorry Dr. but I cannot let this one go through unchallenged

Bennell has played 57 games of a possible 84 games( 68% ) since he arrived at the MFC He has to my knowledge had no serious injuries until two weeks ago.

In most of his 57 games he has rarely justified his inclusion the following week.

I think The MFC have given him a great run.

What you say about injuries ruining players might be true of a number but Bennell is not one of them.

He simply is not good enough

• Like 1

Bennell is a fringe player .

His fringe is probably his main priority .

• Like 5

Yeah probably fair enough on Bennell, he has played a decent chunk (he's played 50 games? Really?) - I think you're wrong on Caddy though, he didn't shine today sure but how many Suns players did? It's hard to stand out in a team of slop and he has shown earlier this year that he would be an automatic inclusion in our 22 (would rather have him than Bail for instance and probablyh a few others including your man Bennel ;) )

On trying to work out a trade with the Suns, if people think 13 & one of Moloney or Sylvia is too much do you think it would be worth trying to work Josh Toy into the equation as well? He was a very highly rated junior but hasn't been able to make an impact at the Suns for whatever reason. Might be worth trying to get him as the "steak knives" if we have to give up a player as well as pick 13.

Do you? Sylvia and pick 13 for Caddy. Did you see Caddy play today? 11 possies and not much better last few games. If we had any chance to get him I would offer some of our Queensland players, Spencer, Petterd and Bail. They have no rucks other than Smith and could be desperate for someone of Spencer's size.

That's unbelievably unfair on the kid.

That's like saying GC will give Aaron Hall for Jack Trengove considering Trengove's year.

I saw his game against Cats and Saints? and he looks a good young player.

Pick 13 and Moloney or Sylvia. that's fine with me.

• Like 1

Pick 13 and Moloney or Sylvia. that's fine with me.

Would want to try and squeeze out a 2nd-3rd round draft pick as well if we're giving up a player like Sylvia or Moloney as well or wouldn't mind trying to get Toy thrown in as well as I mentioned above.

Still one of the great ironies of modern football commentating. The bloke that stuff up two of the biggest drafts at the helm of Richmond is now called 'The List Manager' Wallace. It just shows you what short memories the media and the public have. Further, their lack of intelligence in buying a word this shrivelled bloke says.

And noooo on Caddy. More overhype. Would prefer Boak over Caddy and even then I don't want Boak.

... and also I am not convinced I want to give up Sylvia at the moment either. I am not saying he has turned it all around, but he is starting to, and more importantly he is in the age bracket for players where he *should* start to peak, and this is an age bracket where we have very few players. If we were going to place him on the market, I suspect that it might be with clubs like Collingwood (if we wanted to snare Wellingham or any of their players) or with another club that was pushing hard for a tilt at the flag (Essendon or even North) His value is greater for a club in this space than @ GWS and GC I think.

Happy to make a play for Caddy if a deal can be worked out for both clubs,.... I would be starting with just pick 13 and see where that goes. Then look at players like Bail/Spencer/Morton/Bate (yeah I know they aren't a great lure, but harder bodies like Bate could be looked at.)

• Like 1