• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GWS (U-17's) Mini Draft

dee-luded

isn't Jack Martin a skinny skinny outside midfielder?

Why is he a pick 1. I would much rather a Hogan type.

If we get yet another skinny as a rake first round pick (Cook, Morton, Watts) I will give up.

Look at Pies, Geelong for clues on how to win a premiership. they have very few skinny types and are usually the last ones picked anyway.

Start screaming now my friend because we will go for at least one player whom will need developing.Most of the top 20 will.

Forget?

I've never thought he was a great player. Flashy,, Yes, Talented, Yes,,, but a good player, No. Not Yet, anyway.

It depends what you call a good player.

Is a player who can flash into a game and kick a few quick goals a good player? Is a player who can kick at least two goals a game a good player? Is a player who commands the oppositon best backman a good player? Is a player who can do the foregoing and who hasn't got a great engine or a lot of defensive game a good player?

I think he is.

This guys obsessed with Grundy for some reason...

He was pretty impressive and is a big strong mobile unit, who can ruck and kick goals. Remind you of anyone in blue and yellow.

He is the player I think GWS really want.

Edited by Redleg

Everyone forgets that GC may get a priority pick....which would almost certainly mean they ll bid on Viney as they'd still have another pick to fall back on

And I fear that JV is just what GC would like - a hard, inside mid that continually feeds it out to their runners.

Everyone forgets that GC may get a priority pick....which would almost certainly mean they ll bid on Viney as they'd still have another pick to fall back on

It's a possibility, but the AFL would have a hard time selling it. It would basically be an admission that not only were their concessions poorly put together but also that their precious expansion club is already in need of further aid. I tend to think they'd want to hold off for a few more years to see if the club finds it feet before intervening more than they already have.

why would you assume IF they get a priority pick it would be a no1 pick?

IF they got one it would just as likely be a mid round pick

anyway the chances they will get any sort of priority pick are low

It depends what you call a good player.

Is a player who can flash into a game and kick a few quick goals a good player? Is a player who can kick at least two goals a game a good player? Is a player who commands the oppositon best backman a good player? Is a player who can do the foregoing and who hasn't got a great engine or a lot of defensive game a good player?

I think he is.

OK, we'll disagree because IMO hardness is really important to the culture & workrate as well, is equally important. Jurrah missed both buses.

OK, we'll disagree because IMO hardness is really important to the culture & workrate as well, is equally important. Jurrah missed both buses.

Liam is one of a couple at Melbourne who can change the direction of a game (in our favour) in a burst of play. That makes him a good player. Played 36 games over four injury interrupted years for a return of 81 goals, or over two goals a game. More than most at Melb.

Adding an engine, preventing injury, and increasing his defensive efforts are development challenges.

Liam is one of a couple at Melbourne who can change the direction of a game (in our favour) in a burst of play. That makes him a good player. Played 36 games over four injury interrupted years for a return of 81 goals, or over two goals a game. More than most at Melb.

Adding an engine, preventing injury, and increasing his defensive efforts are development challenges.

Not in finals he won't, when opposition teams take Us,,, & him seriously. He's drop his head before half time in big finals games.

isn't Jack Martin a skinny skinny outside midfielder?

Why is he a pick 1. I would much rather a Hogan type.

I think you’re under selling Martin here. Yes he’s skinny, but far more than just an outside type. Have a look at his tackle stats and his average in the champs would probably be around 5 or 6 (he had 6 in game 3). He wins contested ball, so I would say he’s an inside/outside type. I watched him closely at Etihad and he runs hard both ways, not just offensively on the spread. He’s composed with the ball, and has pace and a vertical leap.

Don’t worry about his size, if we get him (and I believe we should do whatever it takes) we will be able to tuck him away for a year and build him up before he even plays his first game. His overall skill set is as complete as any who have come through the championships in recent years.

I like Hogan too. His competitive, courageous and very strong overhead. His big minus is kicking. I don’t like what I saw with his kicking for goal, but he has a lot of upside. I just think Martin has more upside and can help us in more areas overall.

Not in finals he won't, when opposition teams take Us,,, & him seriously. He's drop his head before half time in big finals games.

I disagree, and have faith in Liam's ability to continue performing for the MFC once his troubles in Alice are sorted.

• Like 2

I think you’re under selling Martin here. Yes he’s skinny, but far more than just an outside type. Have a look at his tackle stats and his average in the champs would probably be around 5 or 6 (he had 6 in game 3). He wins contested ball, so I would say he’s an inside/outside type. I watched him closely at Etihad and he runs hard both ways, not just offensively on the spread. He’s composed with the ball, and has pace and a vertical leap.

Don’t worry about his size, if we get him (and I believe we should do whatever it takes) we will be able to tuck him away for a year and build him up before he even plays his first game. His overall skill set is as complete as any who have come through the championships in recent years.

Will his inside game work at that size against men? Will he be able to stick those tackles? I think at that size he is a gamble however he could be Jetta with an inside game?

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

If we offer up pick 4 for Martin can we on trade him this year? For example trade to Fremanlte for David Mundy and Fremantles first round pick for Martin and our second round pick. Or for Port if there is an Adelaide Kid, offer Port him for Boak and swap pick 6 and 13 so we get Boak and pick 6 they get a kid and 13.

Martin would be great pickup. he will be star A Grader. but what to give up, To get something good you must give something good, so Bate, Morton, Dunn will not cut it, possibly pick 4 but Sheedy hates us and will make things 10 times harder for us so doubt we will deal with GWS.

why all the hype with hogan? i watched him play and his kicking for goal is atrocious! big bloke but he reminds me of brad miller.

I agree about his kicking but he could be a monster when he is 19 years old. Imagine not having to wait for someone's body to develop and they can slot right in and play for the dee's. There would be no more Lucas cook or jack watts style threads around here though so it may go quite at demonland.

I agree about his kicking but he could be a monster when he is 19 years old. Imagine not having to wait for someone's body to develop and they can slot right in and play for the dee's. There would be no more Lucas cook or jack watts style threads around here though so it may go quite at demonland.

doesn't mean he is going to make a sudden impact? tom hawkins pretty much just got going on grand final day last year and even this year he shows the odd glimps. for every jack darling or jarrod roughead there is also a Billy Morrison..

• Like 1

doesn't mean he is going to make a sudden impact? tom hawkins pretty much just got going on grand final day last year and even this year he shows the odd glimps. for every jack darling or jarrod roughead there is also a Billy Morrison..

He would have more of a chance of sudden impact because he would be playing straight away. Or we could wait for players to develop because they weigh in at the size of a laptop. Then they finally get to size and we find out they suck. So that's 2-4 years wasted on a key forward and then we have to draft another skinny kid and that's another 2-4 years we have to wait.

It's a possibility, but the AFL would have a hard time selling it. It would basically be an admission that not only were their concessions poorly put together but also that their precious expansion club is already in need of further aid. I tend to think they'd want to hold off for a few more years to see if the club finds it feet before intervening more than they already have.

Pretty sure the AFL changed the priority pick system for a pick at the end of round 1.

Start screaming now my friend because we will go for at least one player whom will need developing.Most of the top 20 will.

fair enough. What I meant was stop recruiting weeds. Happy to recruit a young player who will fill out (ones we drafter last year fit the bill here) but will spew if we get another Morton, Watts, Cook type.

We also have Jurrah who once again is skinny and gets injured too easily. Martin sounds good but come to the crunch AFL midfielders will brush him aside.

Would not waste a high draft pick on him.

• Like 1

# Heres some Info on some players, I think would suit our needs.

copied from Knightmare's phantom draft on big footy:

I want Us to make this 2012 Draft a Big Plus for us & not fall behind others picking better players than us. We need to find some matchwinners.

Not time for sentiment, but professionalism.

U-18 National Draft Players I'm interested in for our first 3 picks, that I think suit our needs, >

From Knightmare (Big Footy) (Ladder order predicted 2012) http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2012-mock-draft.956129/

#1 Gold Coast- Lachlan Whitfield (VIC - Mid)

Height: 184cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 18/07/1994

Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Style:

Player comparison: Steele Sidebottom (More classy)

Range: 1-3

Profile: The thing that makes Whitfield stand out is his work rate, he just never stops running and absolutely works his man into the ground consistently. Whitfield has absolutely crazy endurance and as a 17 year old makes mince meat of the beep test, can score 16 which for an AFL prospect is in the very top percentile. The other thing is his skill level by foot. Perfect left footer. Just that class above and always looks composed with ball in hand and is that class above. Has more time than everyone else. Very duel sided. Also uses it smartly and unselfishly which is a big plus. Very dangerous around goals and has shown that he doesn’t need to play through the midfield but is most productive and best suited to playing on a wing at this stage. Has a real natural evasiveness and can pretty easily avoid tackles. Strong mark overhead on the lead and around the field. Speed good but not elite. Inside game is developing and while he is more of an outside player his inside game is coming along nicely and he can easily step into the centre square and win his own ball. Physically Whitfield has developed well over the past few years which suggest he still has allot of physical development ahead and unlike Bryce Gibbs who developed early Whitfield should have allot more development to come so he should be one of the top one or two players in this year’s draft when it’s all said and done.

Jimmy Toumpas (SA – Mid)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 02/01/1994

Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens

Style:

Player comparison: Chad Wingard

Range: 1-5

Profile: Really damaging player with some versatility. Can take over and influence games as well as just about anyone in this draft and throughout the u18 champs for bursts really imposed himself on games which was impressive. Skill level excellent by both hand and foot, has that combination of hurt factor and clean ball use that will make him a big time weapon. Consistently good decision maker. High level athlete and has that combination of explosive speed and agility that will make him desirable as well as in game work rate. Also has shown very early on that he can lift for the big games which is I strongly believe is something that he will take with him to AFL level. Can play as a midfielder, forward or back which is a big advantage but long term will no doubt develop into a midfielder. Has the ability to play both as an inside and outside midfielder. One important note with Toumpas is that throughout the u18 champs he was playing with hip problems so to play through injury and influence games in the way he did was very impressive.

Oliver Wines (VIC - Mid)

Height: 185cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 07/10/1994

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Style:

Player comparison: Trent Cotchin (Bigger bodied version)

Range: 2-10

Profile: Wines is a really good all rounder and a real footballer who attacks the ball hard and more often than not comes out with it. Good ball user by both hand and foot and decision making ability and for an inside player has rare composure and regularly chooses the right option in a variety of situations. Good finishing around goal. Excellent at reading the play and gets into the right positions. Wines is already very physically developed, big ball winners who can step into an AFL team from round one and play some good football. Wins all the clearances and contested ball and is a guy you can rely on, on the inside to get the job done. He isn’t a standout athlete but his endurance is elite and will be in the very top percentile and his work rate is a real selling point to his game. Also really like his tackling technique – he pins the arms and stops the opposition player from being able to move the ball on.

Jake Stringer (VIC - Util)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 25/04/1994

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Style: Brendan Goddard

Player comparison:

Range: 5-25

Profile: Stringer is probably the best talent in the draft and had it not been for a broken leg this season I would probably have him at no.1. Comes from a basketball background. Hard worker. Hasn’t really dominated games this year the way he has in the past and after his sickening broken leg of last year it’s just great to see him playing footy again. Stringer’s conditioning isn’t nearly where it was pre-injury and doesn’t seem to have his trademark explosiveness and leaping ability back yet and the endurance is nowhere near where it was but what’s encouraging is that he is still attacking the ball as hard as ever and working as hard as he can to impose himself on games. The feature I’ve always loved in Stringer’s game is his ability to play anywhere and just change the game with his attack on the ball and sheer will. With Stringer the versatility is a great asset and when he gets his fitness back he will be able to play through the midfield, forward or back to a high level. Wins the hard ball consistently and is a very good inside player to go along with his outside running ability which we have seen in the past. Ball use good by both hand and foot. Very strong mark overhead and can hit the scoreboard hard when shifted forward and with his limited fitness this year has mostly had to play up forward. Stringer has star potential but needs to get his athleticism and conditioning back first before we see him back at his best which will take some time. Has great leadership potential and looks likely to be a guy who leads from the front at AFL level.

Sam Mayes (SA – Fwd/Mid)

Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 20/05/1994

Recruited from: North Adelaide

Style: Steve Johnson

Player comparison:

Range: 5-20

Profile: Leadup forward who can also push into the midfield and have an impact. The standout feature of Mayes’ game is his kicking ability and it would have to be the best in the draft, just so good by foot and hits his targets and around goal just never misses. Has great pace and can really burst away from the trailing defender with ease. Marking ability very strong for a player of his size so there is allot to work with. Long term with Mayes the view would be for him to develop into a midfielder and with his great footskills, speed then ability when pushing forward to present as a marking target he looms as an ideal player to have in your rotation. But will take some time to develop into a high level midfielder and might benefit from learning off other high level midfielders.

-------------------------

Mid1st,Rnd Pick

I'd like to see us take a quick small forward/mid

Ben Kennedy (SA –Fwd/ Mid)

Height: 174cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 03/03/1994

Recruited from: Glenelg

Style: Brent Harvey

Player comparison:

Range: 5-25

Profile: Very small midfielder, but he can play. Speed is elite and in the very top percentile. Has that pace but also uses it effectively and willingly takes on opposition players to effect. More than has the performances on the board and showed allot during the 2011 and 2012 U18 championships. Kennedy is a big accumulator and can hit the scoreboard for a number of goals. Ball use generally very good. Has a neat left foot kick with nice penetration. Very capable of winning his own ball. Marking ability good for a player of his height. Tackling very good but with his pace has the potential to be an elite tackler. Kennedy has a big chance of doing what Dion Prestia and Devon Smith have done in recent years in getting drafted early despite lack of height.

Or another small

Sam Colquhoun (SA – Def/Mid)

Height: 179cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 20/12/1994

Recruited from: Central District

Style: Lindsay Gilbee/Heath Scotland

Player comparison:

Range: 5-30

Profile: Colquhoun is a back flanker who stands out with his elite kicking ability. Colquhoun time and time again by foot finds the right target off half back and regularly sets up meaningful drives out of the back half which often result in a goal at the other end. Picks the right targets every time and his decision making is just so good to go along with his pure kicking ability. Also Colquhoun has a rare composure and seems to have more time than other players down back. Down back Colquhoun also stands out with his intercepting game and he regularly rebounds everything that comes his way through his strong 1v1 marking ability at his size but also his work rate.

Oliver wines pleeeease!!

Absolutely: Toumpas & Wines ,,, Or Wines & Stringer, are becoming my favorite combo's for 3 & 4. If Toumpas is taken then add Whitfield or Grundy... If sheeds wants to bang us up with Viney then we'll take his gun ruck.

Then he can workout a trade deal to get Grundy back, next year or 2014. If we want to.

• Like 1