• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GWS (U-17's) Mini Draft

dee-luded

I'm hearing Melbourne will get Viney in the 2nd round as GC will use pick 2 on Jack Martin, and therefore will not bid.

GWS won't bid as they can't risk losing Whitfield with pick 1, and can't bid pick 2 as they won't officially have it until the mini draft order is completed later in trade week.

It works the other way, they can bid on Viney, then enter trade week AND take MD pick 1 i believe

I'm hearing Melbourne will get Viney in the 2nd round as GC will use pick 2 on Jack Martin, and therefore will not bid.

GWS won't bid as they can't risk losing Whitfield with pick 1, and can't bid pick 2 as they won't officially have it until the mini draft order is completed later in trade week.

Problem with this is GWS will most likely know that they are getting pick 2 from GC, so then they can bid on Viney with pick 1, take him with it and then just use pick 2 on whitfield.

*EDIT: Just realised wouldn't work- if they tried that GC wouldn't trade them pick 2 because it would get them whitfield haha sorry guys.

Edited by Frank Grimes

GC with ND2 is in the box seat for MD1/Martin if they him. We'd then be looking at ND3 for MD2/Hogan. That would land Viney in the 2nd round and give GWS ND1, 2, and 3. If we rate Hogan I'd be up for this.

ND3: Hogan

ND4 + 13: Caddy + ND7

ND7: best young talent

ND25+: Viney

• Like 3

It works the other way, they can bid on Viney, then enter trade week AND take MD pick 1 i believe

You are right - they can still bid and would obviously keep ND pick 2 to use in the Mini Draft if we matched their Viney bid. But I don't think they will given we could just let Viney go and then take Jack Martin in the mini draft by giving GWS ND pick 3. Huge risk if Gold Coast are as keen on Martin as it sounds.

• Like 1

Agree 100%, with every word.. we'd have a good shot at getting him back too, since they havent got another $6 million to throw at him to convince him to stay.

People have bagged this suggestion threads ago, but the fact is, viney isnt in the top 5 possible recruits this year. He may end up the best player to ever play AFL, but he's not right now.

-Joe Daniher is streets ahead of anyone else, then Whitfield who is streets ahead of no.3.. Toumpas.. then Mayes, then the wines, grundys, vineys, stringers, o'rourkes..

(if fact, i'd have my lawyers at the ready - and i would serve sheedy for draft tampering and kick up a big legal fuss, if he nominated Viney as pick 1. I'd even e-mail GWS and let him know i was ready to do it)

The club owes it to us (the members / supporters) to pick the best available at that pick.. and it wont be Viney at pick 3.

As i mentioned in one of the umpteen Viney threads around -

-Trade our pick 3 (and a player/s - my 1st thought was Morton) - for GWS pick 1 in the u17 draft.. (Means we get Viney rd.2) ..were in the best position to deal with GWS anyway.

-take Martin / whoever in the u17 draft.. put him in the paddock for a year,

-take wines / whoever at pick 4,

-take o'rourke / whoever at 12,

-take Viney 2nd round.

Think this will be our BSC..

You know for a fact Viney isn't worth a top 5 pick?

I know for a fact that you're full of [censored].

You know for a fact Viney isn't worth a top 5 pick?

I know for a fact that you're full of [censored].

Im not going to get into it with some neanderthal thats lucky to grunt out an insult..

Suffice to say - anyone with half a brain, just half, would realise missing 10 odd wks of footy in the middle of a season, is not going to leave you much chance to 'top 5' anything..

Fool.

Im not going to get into it with some neanderthal thats lucky to grunt out an insult..

Suffice to say - anyone with half a brain, just half, would realise missing 10 odd wks of footy in the middle of a season, is not going to leave you much chance to 'top 5' anything..

Fool.

You did get into it though didn't you.

If you know for a fact Viney is not top 5 it stands to reason that you know for a fact who is top 5. Enlighten us Mr Draft Expert.

Toumpas will miss 10 weeks if you include finals, I guess he's not top 5 either.

By all means give us your opinion but don't dress it up as fact, makes you look stupid.

Looks like were after Hogan not Martin..

Either way, Jack Viney Round 2 sounds nice.

GWS may again have a shot at the top three draft picks

"Hogan - a 194cm strong-marking key-position player likened to Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich - is in Melbourne's sights in exchange for an early pick as high as No.3.

The Dees have met Hogan, from Claremont."

"He really splits the packs - a bit like Jonathan Brown," Sheehan said.

Mini-draft prospects shine

Draft prospect in focus: Jesse Hogan

Guest Fergie

I'd expect us to hold pick 3 to get Toumpas, and give them pick 4.

THey'd want pick 3, but we could say "hey, you're still not going to get a better offer".

Should do the trick.

I'd predict GWS to pick Plowman at 4.

Looks like were after Hogan not Martin..

Either way, Jack Viney Round 2 sounds nice.

GWS may again have a shot at the top three draft picks

"Hogan - a 194cm strong-marking key-position player likened to Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich - is in Melbourne's sights in exchange for an early pick as high as No.3.

The Dees have met Hogan, from Claremont."

"He really splits the packs - a bit like Jonathan Brown," Sheehan said.

Mini-draft prospects shine

Draft prospect in focus: Jesse Hogan

Cheers for the free links.

Martin and Hogan in the photo below. In years gone past we would have focused on Martin - look how skinny he is! Also Hogan looks like a wuffian.

651985-jesse-hogan-and-jack-martin.jpg

I'm all for getting Hogan. Some on here may have read that I am a massive fan. Get it done MFC. Hogan would rip off Lucas Cook's arms and beat him with them. The kid is a beast.

• Like 2

I'm all for getting Jack Viney! When was the last time a 17 yr old made David wojinski, a 200 game premiership player look like a 2nd rate footballer who had to resort to dog tactics and rub him out of the game? That's the kind of player the dees need!

• Like 1

Id be happy to look at trading jurrah regardless. I think he will only ever be a flash in the pan player unfortunately. the odd patch of brilliance but many games with not much to offer and regular injuries. i hope im wrong and would want nothing less than a successful career for him regardless of teh team he plays in but im not convinced.

Id like to keep our picks. I think sheeds would look at moloney as someone who could stiffen up their midfield but moloney alone would not do. we'd have to offer somone else as well.

perhaps moloney and jurrah for hogan. that would be a result.

In the short term, no one will touch Jurrah. Why trade for a player whose career might be over?

I'm all for getting Jack Viney! When was the last time a 17 yr old made David wojinski, a 200 game premiership player look like a 2nd rate footballer who had to resort to dog tactics and rub him out of the game? That's the kind of player the dees need!

Absolutely. I don't care what pick Viney ends up going at as long as it is read out by his old man.

• Like 1

I think we are going all out for hogan because Cloke is going to Carlton.

That's if we trade pick four to GWS for him.

That will give us The second power forward we are after, Toumpas at pick 3 ,and Viney.

We still have money in our war chest to pick up the best midfielder available hopefully a Boak.

• Like 2

Can someone please enlighten me. if GWS get the first 3 picks, does that not mean that they have three picks in which to bid for Viney? does this not make our cause to get him second round more difficult?

I don't know but if we gave them pick 4 for Hogan,it would be on the proviso they don't bid for Viney.

Can someone please enlighten me. if GWS get the first 3 picks, does that not mean that they have three picks in which to bid for Viney? does this not make our cause to get him second round more difficult?

F/S bidding is done before trade week.

So they may bid 1 on the proviso that they get 2 and 4 but I doubt we would get involved in the MD if we had to use 3 on Viney.

If they want three picks in the top 4 they better respect our desire to get Viney in the second round.

Other than the lightweight that is Jay Clark, can anyone inform me where the rumors regarding GC wanting to offload pick 2 for the mini draft is coming from?

I am sure Martin will be a great player, but THIS draft is supposed to be the exceptionally strong draft is not not?.

GC have been hammered for 2 years, they need good players now, not next year, I know they get O'Meara, but don't people think that Guy McKenna is going to be under a fair bit of pressure to ensure that the Suns perform next year. Deferring what looks like Pick2 in whats universally accepted as a very strong draft to get someone who can't play until 2014 seems a bit unlikely to me.

Also, they only traded pick 4 last year to get number 1, now people think that they will trade 2 for the same chance?

Question for me is... is Martin a certain top 2 pick for next year? possibly, but I recall a time when Stringer, Darling, even Tom Swift and a few other names were rated as highly at a similar age, an injury can quickly change that.

I posted a similar thing elsewhere, but I also wonder whether GWS might be interested in an established player (with a lower first round pick) as more appealing compensation this time around too... So for example (and it's a poor one) but say Will Minson and pick 6.. which gives them a strong body in the middle who might have 2-3 years to play but a slightly lower pick in a very good draft.

Anyway.... I probably don't know squat, but seeing GWS get handed 1, 2 and 3 for 'potential' in very strong draft. Bloody hope not!

^^ OT: One thing that surprised me about last round was that Will Minson had a tap to advantage percentage of 36% whereas average is around 20%. And they still lost by 12 goals!

Guest Rassilon

Other than the lightweight that is Jay Clark, can anyone inform me where the rumors regarding GC wanting to offload pick 2 for the mini draft is coming from?

I am sure Martin will be a great player, but THIS draft is supposed to be the exceptionally strong draft is not not?.

GC have been hammered for 2 years, they need good players now, not next year, I know they get O'Meara, but don't people think that Guy McKenna is going to be under a fair bit of pressure to ensure that the Suns perform next year. Deferring what looks like Pick2 in whats universally accepted as a very strong draft to get someone who can't play until 2014 seems a bit unlikely to me.

Also, they only traded pick 4 last year to get number 1, now people think that they will trade 2 for the same chance?

Question for me is... is Martin a certain top 2 pick for next year? possibly, but I recall a time when Stringer, Darling, even Tom Swift and a few other names were rated as highly at a similar age, an injury can quickly change that.

I posted a similar thing elsewhere, but I also wonder whether GWS might be interested in an established player (with a lower first round pick) as more appealing compensation this time around too... So for example (and it's a poor one) but say Will Minson and pick 6.. which gives them a strong body in the middle who might have 2-3 years to play but a slightly lower pick in a very good draft.

Anyway.... I probably don't know squat, but seeing GWS get handed 1, 2 and 3 for 'potential' in very strong draft. Bloody hope not!

First you let a man dream what could be a reality. Wouldn't picks 1, 2 & 3 be so good for them! Then you ?????