The Significance of the win against Bombers

demon-4-life

I'm placing a fair bit of emphasis on this win. Yes we only have 1 win. Yes it was only by 6 points.

But, look at the opponent! They were 2nd. Equal 1st except for percentage.

Looking through the last 3 years of results, the MFC only beat 2 teams in the top 8. TWO!

They are:

Essendon in 2011. Essendon finished 8th and "limped" into the finals, because well...someone had to.

Sydney in 2010. Sydney finished 5th. This however was after Sydney won 4 of their last 5 games against fellow top 8 teams in: Stkilda, Doggies, Hawthorn and Freo to rise above them all to 5th.

Where Essendon finishes come end of the year is still yet to be determined. But I'm calling this the best win for the last 4 years. It wasn't the biggest. It wasn't the most glamorous. It wasn't the most skilful. But it was against good opposition, it was a 4 quarter effort by EVERYONE and they showed heart, fight and resolve.

You saw the leadership group stand up when it counted. You saw Colin Sylvia do something when it mattered. You saw a tackles, smothers, second efforts, dives to get to the ball first.

Saturday night was a massive step in the right direction. Being a realist, I also know the rest of the season won't be like Saturday, but I think we can all agree that things are starting to sink in. Things are starting to come together.

• Like 4

This team simply needed a win, even if it was against The Suns or G W S. But beating the Equal top team will install more belief than winning against any other team.

I liked that Neeld took the whole leadership group as aide a 3 quarter time and had a word.

Lets back it up on Monday.

• Like 1

Guest Jackie

The appetite for the contest for four quarters and will to win. Not seen for a long time. After the Watson goal we owned them and kept pushing. We didn't look like losing in the last five minutes.

... I liked that Neeld took the whole leadership group aside at 3 quarter time and had a word ...

... and that the leadership team responded so well! The last quarters of Grimes, Garland, Jones, Trengove & Jamar (and even of ex-leaders in Rivers & Moloney) were just sensational - great example of the leaders stepping up when it was really needed. Not something we're used to.

• Like 1

If we lose by 100 next week and go on to win 1 or 2 more games this year, it could mean as much as beating them did last year

Unless of course were tanking and come out firing next year :)

It was a big, big win in the context of the season. An invaluable confidence boost heading into the second half of the season.

Defensively we were outstanding. It was the most rock solid performance in our back half I can recall for a while, which is slightly bizarre considering Frawley was out and Garland was up front. Bartram I'll leave others to comment on..(yes his disposal efficiency has been up etc etc) I suppose alot of it can be put down to the midfield relieving the pressure and actually winning a few clearances, but our structures held up and to a man we won pretty much every indvidual battle. We gave them zero time or space which if we can do against Collingwood, we are a real chance.

I'm strongly leaning towards an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach this week.

I admit I am interested to see how Davey responds in a team surrounded by those who are performing to the required standard and winning some contested ball.

Where Essendon finishes come end of the year is still yet to be determined. But I'm calling this the best win for the last 4 years. It wasn't the biggest. It wasn't the most glamorous. It wasn't the most skilful. But it was against good opposition, it was a 4 quarter effort by EVERYONE and they showed heart, fight and resolve.

There isn't much sweeter than to take down the arrogant Bombers with their "Good ol' boys" coaching panel which now includes the much hyped "Weapon".

A great scalp but it's when we take the likes of Hawthorn , Cats or Pies that will be most telling.

Bombers have played well this year but have risen quickly as they did early last year and we beat them then also.

There isn't much sweeter than to take down the arrogant Bombers with their "Good ol' boys" coaching panel which now includes the much hyped "Weapon".

A great scalp but it's when we take the likes of Hawthorn , Cats or Pies that will be most telling.

Bombers have played well this year but have risen quickly as they did early last year and we beat them then also.

Pies are in the bag Fork em

and as we don't play the other two again this year we will have to wait till 2013 to complete our rise!!!

• Like 1

Just noticed that last year we followed up our win against Essendon with the thumping on QB the next week.

It is imperative that we see another 4 quarter effort. Even if that means an honourable loss, it will be very telling.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 1

Next Monday is huge. It is imperative that we see another 4 quarter effort. Even if that means an honourable loss, it will be very telling.

There is no such thing only a loss

This win is the most important win I can remember in a very, very long time - for many of the reasons expressed above by Demon4Life - but also for many other reasons. I actually reckon it could be the start of the making of this young player group.

The criticism of Neeld prior to this game was absolutely appalling. It was relentless ... and quite ridiculous.

Any rational, informed observer could see what Neeld was attempting to do with this list, our club culture and the game plan.

Anyone with the most basic, rudimentary knowledge of our list, and its 'progress' over the past four years, also knew exactly what Neeld needed to do. And he was doing exactly what needed to be done - in a very measured, deliberate, intelligent, organised and determined way.

That he attracted so much criticism from so-called 'expert' commentators and journalists continues to fire me up. It was simplistic, mediocre, populist stuff.

That some 'supporters' were also into him in such a relentless way annoys me even more.

In my opinion, we are seriously bloody lucky to have this guy. His patience and determination through the first ten games of the season, and then his reaction to winning the game last Saturday confirmed it in spades to me.

So much so, I even received the following text (among many) from an Adelaide supporter following our win:

"I almost converted to being a Dees supporter when I saw the passion in the rooms as they belted out their song. Someone give Mark Neeld a medal - that guy is first class."

This text sums it up. Neeld will start winning back respect for this club. Respect the club hasn't enjoyed for ages.

In short, I know it's only one game. I know we're essentially last on the table (the only clubs below us being start up ventures). But the signs are there. And, in my view, they are extremely positive.

Mark Neeld you are a Demon! I'm absolutely stocked you're on board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By way of reminder, following four years of brutal rebuild, and too many first round draft picks to mention, this is what 2011 delivered for us. In short, this is what Neeld inherited - hardly a list on the verge of finals in 2012.

2011 results

1. Swans at MCG - draw

2. Hawks at MCG - loss by 45

3. Lions at MCG - win by 11 (Lions finished 15th in 2011)

4. Gold Coast at Gabba - win by 90 (GC finished last in 2011)

5. Bye

6. West Coast at Subiaco - loss by 54

7. Adelaide at MCG - win by 96 (Crows finished 14th in 2011)

8. North at Docklands - loss by 41

9. St Kilda at Docklands - loss by 20

10. Carlton at MCG - loss 47

11. Essendon at MCG - win by 33 (Dons finished 8th in 2011)

12. Collingwood at MCG - loss by 88

13. Freo at MCG - win by 89 (injury plagued Freo finished 11th in 2011)

14. Richmond at MCG - win by 27 (Tigers finished 12th in 2011)

15. Bulldogs at Docklands - loss by 64

16. Bye

17. Port in Darwin - win by 21 (Port finished 16th in 2011)

18. Hawks at MCG - loss by 54

19. Geelong at Skilled Stadium - loss by 186

20. Carlton at MCG - loss by 76

21. West Coast at Docklands - loss by 48

22. Richmond at MCG - loss by 7

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 6

Ron you have missed the last two games

Gold coast suns at MCG Win by 30 points

Port Loss at Adelaide by 8 points

Not that it changes your points much

Edited by old dee

There is no such thing only a loss

Each to their own, but I see a big difference in rolling over and getting pumped by 100 points to battling bravely all day and being out classed by a strong opponent by a couple of goals. Especially given our current position.

• Like 4

Each to their own, but I see a big difference in rolling over and getting pumped by 100 points to battling bravely all day and being out classed by a strong opponent by a couple of goals. Especially given our current position.

Me too.

To

I remember well the heated discussions about this subject in 2010.

Back then I used to say that the only way that the MFC will become a power is when everyone connected to the MFC

To Forget this honourable loss crap.

I never see it mention by other team supporters

I thought it back in 2010 and IMO nothing has changed.

I am happy if peope talk about improved performances or whatever.

If we get beaten on Monday by 4 goals we will have improved on last year and recent efforts against the better sides.

But if you lose you lose simple as that.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

I never see it mention by other team supporters

When talking about footy on a Monday morning plenty of people make a distinction between teams who have lost putting in a poor showing and teams who have lost while putting in a good showing.

I'm placing a fair bit of emphasis on this win. Yes we only have 1 win. Yes it was only by 6 points.

But, look at the opponent! They were 2nd. Equal 1st except for percentage.

Apart from wins against Carlton - who are 7th and falling - and West Coast, the teams Essendon have beaten are currently sitting in 18th (GC), 17th (GWS), 14th (Brisbane), 13th (Port), 12th (North) and 10th (Richmond; in a nail-biter).

I think Essendon's fixture, which has been soft so far, explains why they were equal first. Once they start playing some likely finalists I wouldn't be surprised if they slide down the ladder and finish with a ranking equal or lower than teams we beat in 2010/2011

The fact that this win was a close one against a really good side is very significant given we only beat poor sides last year.

And next Monday's win will be even more significant!

And next Monday's win will be even more significant!

Hate losing but if we can push Collingwood and get within 2 or 3 goals or less it's gotta be a plus going forward . If Swan is out as well we'll be right in it .

The CHF spot is our weakness but if Garland or perhaps Clark can do a job there ya just never know hey ? Sylvia deep forward offers a real danger for the Pies as well . I liked his game on Saturday night .

Edited by Macca

I heard an amazing stat on SEN today, and I havent yet double checked, but in the last 5 years the only Victorian sides we have beaten are Richmond and Essendon.....

Apart from wins against Carlton - who are 7th and falling - and West Coast, the teams Essendon have beaten are currently sitting in 18th (GC), 17th (GWS), 14th (Brisbane), 13th (Port), 12th (North) and 10th (Richmond; in a nail-biter).

And an injured west coast that has only won 1 game outside of Perth at that

And they think they are going to win the flag

Edited by Benno