Match ups

Its always interesting to see who is going to play on who, and this week against hawthorn I think there are several ways to go about it, and I was interested to see how people thought it might pan out.

So who goes to

Franklin - frawley, obvious choice, McDonald, McDonald could be an option, this could stop Franklin from running hard and try to go the body, trying to out muscle McDonald, this isn't how franklin plays his best footy so could be an option, but I think Franklin would be too class for McDonald.

Rioli - bartram or garland, personally bartram, but garland can play this kind of role.

Roughhead/hale -McDonald, sellar, rivers - rivers would get hammered on either of them, so hopefully sellar plays on one, if I was hawks I'd play McCauley, leaving roughhead deep which would mean rivers would probably go to hale, who could well destroy us this week. McDonald might be too skinny, out muscled in the one on ones.

Who do we tag? Mitchell, Hodge (still looks out of the game)!

Thoughts

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

Its always interesting to see who is going to play on who, and this week against hawthorn I think there are several ways to go about it, and I was interested to see how people thought it might pan out.

So who goes to

Franklin - frawley, obvious choice, McDonald, McDonald could be an option, this could stop Franklin from running hard and try to go the body, trying to out muscle McDonald, this isn't how franklin plays his best footy so could be an option, but I think Franklin would be too class for McDonald.

Rioli - bartram or garland, personally bartram, but garland can play this kind of role.

Roughhead/hale -McDonald, sellar, rivers - rivers would get hammered on either of them, so hopefully sellar plays on one, if I was hawks I'd play McCauley, leaving roughhead deep which would mean rivers would probably go to hale, who could well destroy us this week. McDonald might be too skinny, out muscled in the one on ones.

Who do we tag? Mitchell, Hodge (still looks out of the game)!

Thoughts

Hopefully Sellar doesn't play.

• Like 1

I think they will start with Frawley/Roughead, Rivers/Hale and McDonald/Franklin. If things don't go to well a re shuffle will see Frawley to Franklin and who knows what from there...

Frawley-Franklin, McDonald-Roughead, Rivers-Hale, Garland-Rioli in the backline.

McKenzie on Mitchell, Bail on Sewell, Morton to run with Isaac Smith in a 1 on 1.

Not sure about Hodge, where has he been playing this year? Havent seen Hawks games.

Dunne a defensive tag on Birchall.

Sellar to play four quarters down back at Box Hill Oval (please!).

There are four players who must be shut down to beat Whorethorn

Buddy ,Cyril ,Mitchell ,Hodge.

Nothing changes .

Mitchell is the most crucial .

Rioli-Davies

Mitchell-Magner(hard tag)

Buddy-Garland

Hodge-McKenzie

Cut the effectiveness of their kicking game by playing man on man and push their lefties on to their wrong side (lefties hate that), and try like hell not to get drawn into the contest unless it is your turn to go. If we let them run loose their kicking game will kill us, if we man up we can unbalance their game. So for me it's everyone on everyone.

• Like 1

The question really is...who have they got who can stop Mitch Clark?

They might need either Hale or Roughead in defence from the outset, leaving them short in the forward line which could play against us if we keep all those talls in.

I think Sellar will get a rest and JW might get an early call up just for his height and ability to play forward.....at least I would pick him there before Sellar and T Mac at the moment. The other option of course is to go with Petterd who could run Shoenmakers around and create space for Clark to work in.

If Hodge plays Dunn is the man for the job.He can play the nagging defensive role well whether forward or back and could put on a hard tag and get in his face.

Magner to Mitchell

Bartram to Rioli

McKenzie to Burgoyne

Not sure about T Mac's pace to go with Buddy through the midfield, but would love to see him have a go on him for a quarter to free up Frawley to run and carry a bit more.

Sewell will probably go to Moloney

Go Dees

• Like 1

The question really is...who have they got who can stop Mitch Clark?

They might need either Hale or Roughead in defence from the outset, leaving them short in the forward line which could play against us if we keep all those talls in.

I think Sellar will get a rest and JW might get an early call up just for his height and ability to play forward.....at least I would pick him there before Sellar and T Mac at the moment. The other option of course is to go with Petterd who could run Shoenmakers around and create space for Clark to work in.

If Hodge plays Dunn is the man for the job.He can play the nagging defensive role well whether forward or back and could put on a hard tag and get in his face.

Magner to Mitchell

Bartram to Rioli

McKenzie to Burgoyne

Not sure about T Mac's pace to go with Buddy through the midfield, but would love to see him have a go on him for a quarter to free up Frawley to run and carry a bit more.

Sewell will probably go to Moloney

Go Dees

I agree with most of this, however I think the question is more about how many times we can get it into Mitch Clark, if we get smashed in the center we have zero chance.

Franklin = Frawley

Roughead = McDonald

Hale = Rivers

Rioli = Garland

Mitchell = McKenzie

Hodge = Dunn

Burgoyne = Bail

Smith = Morton

If anyone else gets loose and starts to create some damage we've still got Bartram & Magner who can play tagging roles and Petterd who can play a defensive forward role if he comes in.

Guest Deefence

Both Davey and Davis would get demolished by Cyril. You'd have to think Bartram will get the job.

Yeah, Bartram is my pick, but I was just trying to figure out who Davies was....

Guest Deefence

Yeah I know, I was trying to figure that out earlier too and just adding my opinion to your question. Who usually plays on Cyril when we play the Dawks?

Normally start with Garland, and then move the glove (Bartram) onto him when he starts to get up and running. Really depends on where he is going to play, pocket or mid.

Rivers on hale is a terrible matchup.

Mitch Clark- isn't it nice to finally have a player the opposition are concerned about.

Yep Saints bombed it in long and quick last week and Kossie called them all sorts of dramas with no Gibson floating across to spoil, will be interesting to see, but then again need to win our lions share of the clearances for this

I think Suckling is a worry with his skills and run off half back. Petterd would be perfect to come in and nullify him, and if not Dunn should get the job. This man (Suckling) is underestimated massively in my opinion.

I think Dunn has had an under-rated year - he's good as a defensive forward on the opposition play-maker, he was excellent on Bob Murphy in the Dogs game in the second half. He appears to be disciplined and prepared to sacrifice his own game for the team and he certainly annoys the
[censored]
out of his opponent. He also has the ability to kick goals from limited opportunities. He's unfashionable but he can play a role. I don't think playing him as sub makes sense.
  • Like 1