Free Agents

dee-luded

From Junior over @ 'Ology.

Interesting list of those eligible for Free Agency at the end of the year.....

MELB

Dunn Bate Green Jamar Moloney Rivers

Moloney isn't going anywhere. He is Demon through and through. Bate, Rivers and Jamar are required players. On his form this year Dunn maybe an option to let go.

Guest José Mourinho

Same as Mitch's for ditching out on Freo?

Yep, money.

Plus it is unlikely but still feasible that he might struggle for a game in the midfield at Hawthorn in the near future.

Of course, the same could be said about MFC.

Same as Mitch's for ditching out on Freo?

Had no way of getting there so took the next best option? :confused:

Presumably what you're saying is he'd do it for the money. I don't think we'd be able to offer a player like Sewell so much money that it would look more attractive than earning not much less at Hawthorn, vying for a flag and staying with his mates. This isn't the same thing as Scully, Ablett et al - those were monstrous amounts of money that they'd have been stupid to pass up. That won't be the case here.

FA's not going to be an effective way of stealing players from other clubs, because by and large most players are actually fairly deeply rooted in the club they're in and wouldn't leave to scrape out a few extra bucks. It's designed for helping the Luke Balls of the world, who are mature players getting a bum deal at the club they're at. These players are actually few and far between - I wouldn't be surprised to see zero FA moves most years.

Guest Dr Who

Had no way of getting there so took the next best option? :confused:

Presumably what you're saying is he'd do it for the money. I don't think we'd be able to offer a player like Sewell so much money that it would look more attractive than earning not much less at Hawthorn, vying for a flag and staying with his mates. This isn't the same thing as Scully, Ablett et al - those were monstrous amounts of money that they'd have been stupid to pass up. That won't be the case here.

FA's not going to be an effective way of stealing players from other clubs, because by and large most players are actually fairly deeply rooted in the club they're in and wouldn't leave to scrape out a few extra bucks. It's designed for helping the Luke Balls of the world, who are mature players getting a bum deal at the club they're at. These players are actually few and far between - I wouldn't be surprised to see zero FA moves most years.

No doubt about it the 1st year will be interesting - but the power is being further placed in the players hands.

I suggest this trend will continue & if we dont see easy player movement I would not be surprised to see a further tweak to FA laws to make it easier for near all players move to the club of their choice. The "big" clubs will make this happen. The AFLPA will make this happen. The AFL will allow this to happen in the not too distant future when GC17 & GWS are "bedded" in.

Edited by Dr Who

With the position the club is in, the line should probably be drawn at age 27.

That cuts the FA list down substantially.

Deledio is the clear-cut pick of the bunch but he has already been re-signed.

I'd say the trade table and drafting is a far better option than anything on offer in free agency this year.

Moloney isn't going anywhere. He is Demon through and through. Bate, Rivers and Jamar are required players. On his form this year Dunn maybe an option to let go.

It's interesting that he has played the defensive forward role fairly well this season on at least a couple of occasions. He has good speed & agility, can kick, & goal. But has he the toughness & ticker to not be a liability for when we get to play in Finals. I'm not sure.

With the position the club is in, the line should probably be drawn at age 27.

That cuts the FA list down substantially.

I would not say that, and you are taking out all of the UFA - the ones that are easier to get.

We have few decent experienced leaders and I would love to have Black for a couple years of Sewell for three or four.

The value will be what effect they can have on our kids - who have few, if any, good role models.

• Like 1

It has to be someone with pace. I firmly beleive that our biggest problem is that our midfield is one paced

Bate / jones / moloney / trengove / sylvia / magner / all the same.

we need burst players, Sewell is not aburst player.

we need burst players, Sewell is not aburst player.

Yeah, but he is a good player, how many do we have of those?

He would instantly become our best player.

I struggle with this begging-but-still-choosing attitude, we are in dire need of good footy players and experienced heads.

• Like 1

Someone on another thread here said that Moloney tried to be traded to Essendon in last year's trade week but Essendon wouldn't give up a first round pick so it didn't happen. I hadn't heard anything about this before that thread. Has anyone heard anything about it. I spoke to one other person who said she heard about it last year. Might explain why he was kicked out of the leadership group. Maybe he is planning to leave at the end of the year. Would be a shocker if it happens. Anyone know if this happened or not.

Someone on another thread here said that Moloney tried to be traded to Essendon in last year's trade week but Essendon wouldn't give up a first round pick so it didn't happen. I hadn't heard anything about this before that thread. Has anyone heard anything about it. I spoke to one other person who said she heard about it last year. Might explain why he was kicked out of the leadership group. Maybe he is planning to leave at the end of the year. Would be a shocker if it happens. Anyone know if this happened or not.

pretty sure it was a big rumour

It's a strong rumour that was going around since last draft period.

If Moloney wants to leave, fine. As long as we trade hard at years end. No point keeping anyone who does not wish to do the hard work.

Still waiting for Moloney to have that "Breakout" game myself.

If we're to take this up, it would almost certainly be an Unrestricted free agent.

In that vein, I'd be interested in (no particular order):

Black

Russell

Bolton

Rosa

Salopek

Dyson

Bateman

Knights

Highly unlikely we'd snag any of Rosa, Bolton or Black, but the others would be good, solid senior players to have on the list.

pretty sure it was a big rumour

It's a strong rumour that was going around since last draft period.

If Moloney wants to leave, fine. As long as we trade hard at years end. No point keeping anyone who does not wish to do the hard work.

I remember when it popped up a few months ago, it was a rumour and the originators cannot agree on whether it was last trade week or the one before it, as they interchanged facts about him being disappointed at his finish in the Bluey and also disenchantment with the fortunes of the team. These things may have occurred but they didn't in the same season.

I call BS.

WTF? Get a grip man. Moloney might not be in the top 20 players in the comp, but his form last year was very good and he had plenty of great games. What more does this guy need to do for people to rate him?

I remember when it popped up a few months ago, it was a rumour and the originators cannot agree on whether it was last trade week or the one before it, as they interchanged facts about him being disappointed at his finish in the Bluey and also disenchantment with the fortunes of the team. These things may have occurred but they didn't in the same season.

I call BS.

I certainly doubt it too. DW on O'logy was big on this a couple of weeks ago,but when asked by moi, vague origin was given.

I think if Dunn were to shave his mo off, there would be an increase in value and interest....:/

WTF? Get a grip man. Moloney might not be in the top 20 players in the comp, but his form last year was very good and he had plenty of great games. What more does this guy need to do for people to rate him?

I rate him. I think he is an elite clearance player.

But his great games were the ones we beat up on various teams, and when we needed him the most? He went missing to the tune of 10 touches less in losses.

If he cannot play well against the best teams - what use will he be in the finals?

I am harsh on him because he is our best player right now and an experienced player.

He is a higher example and he has had trouble consistently living up to that.

He's not alone, however...

I dont have a problem with your point of veiw on this one RPFC. I understand the frustration - we have no player who is in the competitions top 10-20, but as supporter i think we should support guys like Beamer who are probably getting the best out of themselves, rather than saying we're waiting for a breakout game.

If Gysberts had a 30+ possesion, 10 clearance game we'd be singing in the praises. Beamer did it every other week last year (albiet against the weeker sides) but people still want more from him.

I dont have a problem with your point of veiw on this one RPFC. I understand the frustration - we have no player who is in the competitions top 10-20, but as supporter i think we should support guys like Beamer who are probably getting the best out of themselves, rather than saying we're waiting for a breakout game.

If Gysberts had a 30+ possesion, 10 clearance game we'd be singing in the praises. Beamer did it every other week last year (albiet against the weeker sides) but people still want more from him.

Of course, we want more from him. He's a senior player.

If a few on here are asking an inconsistent senior player for more, it must be a day that ends with 'Y'. If you want to be the best player at our club, which he is (unless Colin goes nuts or 4 months), then you have a great deal of responsibilty to bring a consistent effort to games.

I realise that you think he is getting the most out of himself and that is fine, but we don't know that for sure and I still want to hold the senior players accountable for their ills - they have been the downfall of one coach, I would prefer they not precipitate the downfall of another while providing the youth with an awful model to follow.

• Like 1