Surely we have money for more stars?

Dee1987

Who would want to come to melbourne the way we are atm? We are going to have to rebuild with these draft picks, make sure they are quality. Dont go give them to other clubs for players. If we can get 3 absolute quality mids in this draft then its problem solved, with moloney sylvia trengove grimes jones magner as our top mids then bring in high quality youngsters then next year looks alot brighter.

What if we give up a high pick for dangerfield and he goes and brakes his leg whilst the draft pick we were meant to have becomes the next judd or bartel?

But on the flip side what if we don't take Dangerfield or Boak and the number 3 /4 pick breaks his leg like Blease and never becomes the player he should, not having a go just stating it works both ways

No person could criticize Magner's efforts, and he's very handy. But by no means a gun

Oh no Magner not a gun after 6 games of AFL, he may as well go back to the VFL then

Ok chaps take a deep breath, here are the midfield rotation possibilities, including Viney and maybe others if they stay or go depending on which tattle you read

Viney

Moloney

Sylvia

Bate

Jones

Howe

Trengove

Morton

Watts

Petterd (who has been rotating through the midfield at Casey to get used to it)

Grimes

Bail

Gysberts

Couch

Taggert

Blease

Magner

McKenzie

Evans (injury permitting)

Tapscott

Green

Tynan

Jetta

We have had a few them who have played 6 repeat 6 games with the new rotations through the midfield, please let them get used to it, it is getting better and better each week, and on top of that maybe next year we will have a choice of 3 or 4 very mobiile rucks with Jamar, in Martin, Spencer, Gawn and Fitzpatrick

So not a bad list all in all, let's get Daniel Rich from Brisbane everyone on here wanted him a couple of years, hasn't quite developed has he....prefer the devil I know and trust MFC to develop

But on the flip side what if we don't take Dangerfield or Boak and the number 3 /4 pick breaks his leg like Blease and never becomes the player he should, not having a go just stating it works both ways

Your right it does go both ways, personally though i feel with such a strong draft we would be getting some real quality players with our picks, ill be dissappointed if we dont utilise all of our picks.

Your right it does go both ways, personally though i feel with such a strong draft we would be getting some real quality players with our picks, ill be dissappointed if we dont utilise all of our picks.

We need both draft picks and experience to work with JV. for me its the split, be smart.

The problem with the list above is none of them will ever be A grade midfielders in my opinion, with possibly the exception of Viney.

You're right. that is our problem- no star midfielders AT ALL. It's the reason we are 0-6 and second last on the ladder.

BUT... if we could trade for one (ala Carlton with Judd), it could make all the difference.

1. Star we trade for

2. Trengove

3. Viney

If we could them to be our swan, pendles, thomas, then all the other midfielders will slot in and look so much better.

Imagine- Moloney, Jones, McKenzie, Morton, Gysberts and Magner as our 4th-9th best midfielders

• Like 1

The problem with the list above is none of them will ever be A grade midfielders in my opinion, with possibly the exception of Viney.

Looking at it now maybe but I wouldn't rule out Trengove, Grimes, Gysberts, Taggert, Watts or even Morton just yet.

I'm inclined to agree with you, particularly if the price is too high for a Dangerfield (who would be the only one I'm interested in) then lets develop our own. The structure at the club is much better placed for development now.

I'm inclined to agree with you, particularly if the price is too high for a Dangerfield (who would be the only one I'm interested in) then lets develop our own. The structure at the club is much better placed for development now.

absolutely, with the way neeld is manipulating our squad from show ponys to real footballers it would be a great time for young quality kids to come in and be become stars for the MFC

Not a bad thought there Deefella..I would have a crack but I dont know if he's worth paying Star type salary for.

The media reported a while ago we would be in a fairly strong position come free agent time, so touch wood we do have the free $$ available as reported.

A long term contract as you say would be maybe worthy for a Dangerfield type because he certainly plays well for the Crows most days.

But maybe we already have one or two potential top midfielders in the wings ala Magner, who will be an inhouse ready made and we can spend it on another big forward who boots regular bags!

Only problem is that if you can't get it up to the forwards, it's pointless having them there. We need to build a top midfield first. The beauty of drafting midfielders too is that they come on quicker. While bigger forwards who simply play a role are easier to find. Natural ball winners less so. Mooney, Brown and Dawes are names that spring to mind.

Edited by AdamFarr

Lets say at best we finish 14th, we get pick 5,6 and around 12. Pick 5 will be for Viney, we then have pick 6, 12, and about 30 to either use at the trade table or to add three more players at draft time. We are in a strong postion, plus if Moloney or Jamar take up free agency you will be looking at Mid first round picks compensation, All Australian Ruckman and Club B&F, hate to see them go but IMO we would get better compensation if they left as free agents rather than the trading system.

As mention hate to see them go but the club may say

Listen Mark/Brent great servents of MFC if you want you chance to play finals footy at another club we will not stand in your way, we can not guarentee finals, and we are more likely 3-5 years away from being a top 4 team.

Losing these 2 players under free agency would make us a better team in 3-5 years.

• Like 1

Looking at it now maybe but I wouldn't rule out Trengove, Grimes, Gysberts, Taggert, Watts or even Morton just yet.

Exactly. We're all expecting far too much from players who are far too young.

Looking at other class midfielders (with the exception of Judd, who is a freak), most of them have taken a few years, usually in lesser competitions, or in the case of Ablett Jr., in lesser positions, to come on as expected.

However, due to our lack of midfield talent, we've expected these guys to come in and perform IMMEDIATELY.

Closer to home, one only has to look at N. Jones. Yes, he got DISPOSALS from day dot, but he's only been performing at a level one would expect of a first-round draft pick for the last two years.

This is why, I suspect, Magner has started has well as he has. Sure, he probably doesn't have the elite fitness required to continually be in the engine room at the AFL level, but he has the maturity and discipline required!

As much as it's a dirty word around here, I think we just need some PATIENCE with our young midfield, especially given the baptism of fire most of them have had to endure.

Losing these 2 players under free agency would make us a better team in 3-5 years.

short term pain for long term gain. Our turnaround will be West Coast like, you heard it here first

I agree with this. Part of me says you don't trade players who bleed for the club in Moloney, and one's who have an integral role in the team (Jamar), but realistically, both would have retired when we seriously push for a tilt at a flag. It would be very foolish not to consider the advantages (as well as the disadvantages) of moving players with currency on, who simply will not be there at the end of the day (you could almost throw SYlvia into this category too).

Who would want to come to melbourne the way we are atm? We are going to have to rebuild with these draft picks, make sure they are quality. Dont go give them to other clubs for players. If we can get 3 absolute quality mids in this draft then its problem solved, with moloney sylvia trengove grimes jones magner as our top mids then bring in high quality youngsters then next year looks alot brighter.

What if we give up a high pick for dangerfield and he goes and brakes his leg whilst the draft pick we were meant to have becomes the next judd or bartel?

Travis Boak is a gut runner, one of the types we require. A hard worker, & ball winner.

Dangerfield is a line breaker which we desperately need. Pace & power, mid.

Aanyone can break a leg.

Gysberts came in and had an impact in the midfield in his first few games. Its a pity that injury got in the way because he is highly rated. I think some of these younger blokes probably do need a super star midfielder to learn off and shelter behind.

As for older players (Moloney, Jamar, Sylvia) do we want to hold on to them until they have no currency or try and improve out lot now? these guys would be on decent salaries and would sure up some more room to add to the frontloaded contracts. Which could give us that extra coin we need to attract a gun. if we get the members up to 40,000 then that is a reason for a player to think about the dees. And the massive coin.

Imagine Scotty Thompson returning to finish the work he started in the early 2000s LOL.

• Like 2

Gysberts came in and had an impact in the midfield in his first few games. Its a pity that injury got in the way because he is highly rated. I think some of these younger blokes probably do need a super star midfielder to learn off and shelter behind.

As for older players (Moloney, Jamar, Sylvia) do we want to hold on to them until they have no currency or try and improve out lot now? these guys would be on decent salaries and would sure up some more room to add to the frontloaded contracts. Which could give us that extra coin we need to attract a gun. if we get the members up to 40,000 then that is a reason for a player to think about the dees. And the massive coin.

Imagine Scotty Thompson returning to finish the work he started in the early 2000s LOL.

If Neeld doesn't get what is required out of players by seasons end maybe. But who will our senior players be next season? We have seen what happens when you get rid of all your senior listed players without replacing them. IMO I'd only be willing to trade/move on senior players if it meant senior players were guaranteed to be brought in. I believe improvement can be made by bringing in free agents as well as using the high draft picks we have on the best U/18 talent available & trading lower draft picks for senior players. Eg lower than pick 25-30 depending on what bargains are available if any & whether the club can identify talent that would improve our list from other clubs.

• Like 1

I know he is not a star, but we should really have a look at Myles Sewell in the draft as a replacement for a Moloney sort (if he goes). It amazes me that this guy has not been picked up by any one, and it would only take a late pick; why not have a crack?

I know he is not a star, but we should really have a look at Myles Sewell in the draft as a replacement for a Moloney sort (if he goes). It amazes me that this guy has not been picked up by any one, and it would only take a late pick; why not have a crack?

I'd say we've already got enough of his type. That said, wonder if that might entice his brother to come across? :P

I'd say we've already got enough of his type. That said, wonder if that might entice his brother to come across? :P

Not unless you are offering $1miilion

and even then I doubt he would take it

We will struggle for more money until we rid ourselves of the slackers who are on superstar money.

We all know who they are!Overpaid with high opinions of themselves

IMO I'd only be willing to trade/move on senior players if it meant senior players were guaranteed to be brought in

Yeah that is what I meant.

Im also throwing this out there - I havent been excited about a new recruit as when I first watched Scott Thompson - and Im talking about Jordon Gysberts. Remember this post in five years.

I'd like to get Joel Corey, or Paul Chapman, who I think was one of the main instigators to the Cats having a good hard look at themselves, way back around 2005/06...

Either of these guys IMO, would be great Onfield Role Models for our young players to watch & listen to.

Well, we are a team full of kids and almost everyone over 25 is underperforming, so you'd think there would be salary cap room!

I really expect there will be some big trades and delistings at the end of this year, as well as seeing a huge turnover in general, trying to remove dead wood and sooks.

We may even return to being the youngest list in the game again.