Melbourne and the Football World mourn Jimmy Stynes

hardtack

When I first heard the news this morning, i thought it was sad, but not unexpected. I felt sorry for his family and went back to work.

Later on someone came up and said they were sorry to hear about Jim - and i choked back tears.

Maybe that's like Jimmy's career - a bit slow at first and not many people gave him a chance to succeed in the VFL, but he just got better and better. The work he did after football was probably more significant than all the highlights of his magnificent career with the MFC.

I met him once - briefly. i shook his hand. I'll never forget him.

I remember playing kick to kick in the backyard with my cousin. We'd toss a coin to decide which of us would be Lyon and who would be Stynes. Suffice to say the winner not only had the responsibilty of being a brownlow winner but also has to speak with a terrible Irish accent for the duration of the session.

I've spent 50% of today fighting off tears and the other 50% smiling and reminiscing.

• Like 5

Just watched the interview with Col Garland at the Melbourne website. He spoke so well about Jim and the future for the club. A credit to you Col.

• Like 1

It's wonderful reading all the tributes and heart felt dedications to our Jimmy. I have been a Dee supporter throughout his journey in our magnificent city. I have met him briefly on a number of occasions. My children have a few treasured photos with him. He will always be a favourite, we MFC supporters will never let his name fade. He rests in peace... he is remembered, most of all, as a great man.

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 1

I still remember playing my first game of footy as a kid. I was one of the tallest kids on the team and as such was going to be the ruckman. I was asked what number guernsey I wanted and without hesitation, I asked for #11. You were my first favourite player. Thank you for everything, Jimmy.

Rest In Peace Big Jim. You were a true legend and champion. Gone, but never forgotten.

I have been trying to read this site but finding it difficult through the tears.

I'd just like to say that a great man like Jimmy never dies he lives on in the hearts of the people he touched.

As long as the MFC exists so will Jimmy.

Thanks Jimmy

I see people get up every day, go into the workplace, and are content just to be - I compare Jim to these people, and it strikes me what a remarkable man he was. Never would a day go by where Jim would be content without trying to achieve something - I think the most remarkable thing that we can take from this man is what he achieved and his desire to achieve. His life may have been cut short, but I can guarantee he compacted more into his 45 years than many would that live 40 years longer. This is an absolute legacy i'll be taking from Jim, and while it is a shattering and sad day, I feel a light has suddenly been open. . I will definitely be trying to emulate a bit of Jim in my life!

• Like 1

To Jim i love you and all you have done for me thankyou for all your love and support of our great club you will always be the heart of our club.

• Like 1

RIP Jimmy

I have two great loves, my wife and family & the MFC.

My wife has battled cancer for the past year, and having young children, she has sought and found inspiration from Jim and his own struggles with this insidious disease in similar family circumstances.

My football club was broken when Jim decided to take the reigns as President. He has inspired and connected us all so that this mighty club has a future where I may see that first elusive flag.

I never had the fortune to meet Jimmy, but words cannot describe the effect that he has had on my two loves.

Good on ya Jimmy, may you rest in peace and in the knowledge of a life lived fully.

• Like 3

To the man who my father & I watched week in week out give his all for our great club out on the MCG, thank you. Thank you for giving us hope & spirit & an understanding of true Irish grit. Thank you for being the man we could depend upon when the going was tough on a cold wet winters day..... Thank you for making us believe that anything is possible.

Thank you for being a great human who would go totally out of his way to help young people who need a guiding soft (but strong) hand and making a difference. Thank you helping people who needed it, especially when your were going through your toughest fight. Thank you for being a great person & making the world better for the rest of us because you were here.....

Jim, Thank you.

RIP Jim.

Edited by Skipper3
  • Like 2

I have been reading this thread through respectful tears throughout the day.

What a thread...We all argue and disagree and then leave a joke on here or whatever....But we all Loved the Big Man as much as each other...i hope this thread sticks around for a long time...so we can all have a Jimma Moment..when needed.

I want to read this after the next Flag. Jimma is still around...He will see it.

Well done to all on Demonland..for this thread...You make me proud to support the most frustrating but still brilliant football team there is.

We must get stronger...& the spirit of Jim will assist...He is not gone..The MFC is here because of Jim.

This club must become large strong & compassionate...The traits of Jim Stynes.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 3

A very sad loss to Jim's family, his friends, his Reach colleagues & kids, the club, and the wider community. Jim's reach was long and he touched many people. It is a huge testament to Jim to see how much his passing has affected so many people who never even met him. Rest in Peace Big Fella.

Rest easy Big Fella. My Heart goes out to his Family.

We human beings don't have enough Jim Stynes amongst us to loose the best of em all

My heart beats true and is very strong, Thanks Jimmy, for the inspiration and memories.

Luv ya Jim Stynes.