Port Adelaide v Melbourne: No Demonland match report

Demonland

That stringent play along the boundary is hurting us moving the ball forward too, with the NAB cup out of bounds rule.

Often when we'd be able to progress to a new stoppage and set-up our structure for another push forward, instead the ball is given back to the opposition because of a mickey mouse trial rule.

correct, this rule is definately affecting some teams more than others

Mark Neeld in his commencement speech spoke directly about practicing things in the practice matches (NAB). He also said that we (the supporters and media) will need to trust in him, the footy dept and the players as they develop and implement the game plan they believe we need to compete with the top four teams.

Im all for the gameplan and think we are heading in the right direction but it will never be executed with the rubbish and poor skills that we have from our drafted players under BP.

it was a a nothing match and thats what yuoo take from it....nothing !!

We'll know soon enough how we're really travelling...when REAL footy starts.

Bit surprised regarding the after match interviews with Neeld, Brown, Moloney and Jones...every single one of them thought we matched or even outscored Port after quarter time. Either their maths isn't up to scratch or they were watching a different game: Melbourne after quater time: 7 goals 9 behinds. Port: 11 goals 7 behinds. We were outscored in every single quarter! Cannot take these guys seriously if they can't face facts...

• Like 1

We were outscored in every single quarter! Cannot take these guys seriously if they can't face facts...

With all due respect, I don't know that Neeld and co. are actually watching the scores all that closely. They're looking at systems and how they're working, structures and where they're breaking down, and the capability of the players to implement the game plan. etc. etc.

Much as that probably infuriates the die-hards, the I've-been-waiting-47-years's and the win-at-all-costers.

• Like 2

Yep, well a team that 'Pressed', we could absorb ^ outscore.

But a superior team that is renowned for it 's Elite ball winning, contested work & Offence, we showed we need More Size, maturity & a lot more Work on our Defence structures.... So, we're working on them...

Funnily enough, it was suggested we used that very tactic in the 1st round...

it was a a nothing match and thats what yuoo take from it....nothing !!

We'll know soon enough how we're really travelling...when REAL footy starts.

Every AFL player and ex-player, as stated by Cam Mooney on radio this afternoon, knows that your form leading up to round 1 is a definite gauge on how you're likely to start the season. You can't turn form on like a tap. While I'm happy to acknowledge that the coaches are trialling systems previously foreign to the players and that we're a work in progress I'd also be a fool if I thought 'nothing' should be read into these matches. We've got a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

Every AFL player and ex-player, as stated by Cam Mooney on radio this afternoon, knows that your form leading up to round 1 is a definite gauge on how you're likely to start the season. You can't turn form on like a tap. While I'm happy to acknowledge that the coaches are trialling systems previously foreign to the players and that we're a work in progress I'd also be a fool if I thought 'nothing' should be read into these matches. We've got a lot of work to do.

Yeh i heard Cam interviewed late in the week on this. He was definite that you have to, at the very least, find some sort of form coming into the last full hit out before the real deal.

The one positive to take from this game for me is that in our last 14 trips there we've lost by an average of 55 points. At least we bettered it this time. So the emphasis on a new defensive strategy is working then eh! :unsure:

Agree... and I recall seeing somewhere (AFL site?) an item that discussed the fact that NAB form is an indicator considering that in the past 12 years, only 4 NAB Cup finalists have missed out on playing finals footy in the season proper.

That's all very fine Nasher but I'm at a total loss to understand just what it was that they were 'practicing', unless you call bad football practice.

Walks like a duck, looks like..............call it as it was

Okay - you are welcome to call it as it was. From your point in the stands daisy, how did you see the match?

Yeh i heard Cam interviewed late in the week on this. He was definite that you have to, at the very least, find some sort of form coming into the last full hit out before the real deal.

The one positive to take from this game for me is that in our last 14 trips there we've lost by an average of 55 points. At least we bettered it this time. So the emphasis on a new defensive strategy is working then eh! :unsure:

Cameron Mooney is great on the radio. Enjoy his words very much

So in summary, a team that is regarded by most as middle of the road with aspirations to make the eight finished their pre-season with 2 wins and 3 losses. We played two games in Queensland, one game in South Australia and two games at a stadium where we haven't won in a zillion years. We played two of last years top 4 teams. Can't wait to see us play for four premiership points on the MCG.

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 2

Okay - you are welcome to call it as it was. From your point in the stands daisy, how did you see the match?

I'm honestly still too depressed to try and analyse it

I don't blame the FD I blame the players esp but not only the 'senior' ones. So mentally fragile, so many missing in action

The basics are really quite simple and they couldn't get the basics right

Why? I dunno, it does my brain in thinking about it

I'm fearing the worst is still to come, after all these years rebuilding. It looks like being a painful year

I'm honestly still too depressed to try and analyse it

I don't blame the FD I blame the players esp but not only the 'senior' ones. So mentally fragile, so many missing in action

The basics are really quite simple and they couldn't get the basics right

Why? I dunno, it does my brain in thinking about it

I'm fearing the worst is still to come, after all these years rebuilding. It looks like being a painful year

Ah, Have faith young Mr Cutter, all will 'B' reVealed... Remember the Martin show?

Clearly a couple of our mids Jordie and JT lack match practice and that doesn't help. I think it is also starting to show our inferior midfield. Richmond are a direct competitor for a finals spot and they have Cotchin, Martin and Deledio just for starters.

Yet we beat them easily last year .