• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE LEAN AND HUNGRY LOOK

Demonland

A lot to like tonight. We've been crying out for a BIG power forward - Mitch Clark showed early last week he can be the main man; with very strong support from Big Stef, who has many upsides to his occasional brain fade. Tough to match up on them both - all game.

But most of all we've been desperate for any sign of "ticker" that follows into a team defence, that when the going is tough - we're right in amongst it. Surely many of those fears have now been allayed - while not perfect and a long way of St Kilda quality we've moved forward 150%.

Magner and Couch great pick ups. Bate and Dunn likewise will be very handy in the Neeld game plan - big strong mature bodies with reasonable skills. Sellar a great addition down back - enables Garland to run free, or a young Tommy Mac etc. Even young Fitzy had a crack.

Now all we need is 1 or 2 true superstar mid-fielders.....they may be on our list - they may both be Club captains right now.....or they may be called Viney - we're getting there.

So nice to see progress.....a few [censored] off Pies fans in the Pub, that made me smile! Go Dees.

• Like 1

Great effort by the boys and good to see the new recruits performing well.

Magner could end up being a masterstroke of a pickup.

I know it was only a NAB cup game and we will hear all the excuses why they lost but it still feels good BEATING COLLINGWOOD.

GO DEES !!!!

Of the newer players:

* Seller - bigger and better than Matt Warnock. Not sure yet why Adelaide delisted him. Looks like a fairly ready made gorilla-minder

Agree he looks a better version of Warnock and a rich mans Brad Miller perhaps. Look forward to them playing on each other when Vs Tigers.

We beat them in 3 of the 4 quarters and would have won that game by 5 goals except for some howling mistakes at the end of each quarter.

A special mention must go to Jones. He looked like he could step up a level this year. A lot of our guys are taking the quick option but I thought Jones's decision making and execution was very good tonight.

There was a lot to like, and a lot to work on, but it was a great result considering we have our club Family day at Luna Park tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just fantastic to laugh at the Collingwood scum in my pub and watch them make mistakes because of relentless pressure .

It might only be NAB but the important thing we showed was a relentless attitude .

Wattsy had a bad night but took their best defender .Ricky had a good night .I had a great night!!

• Like 2

i got very sick of foxtel saying that they were missing so many key players.

yet their midfield for parts of the night was made of pendlebury, swan, thomas, ball, and wellingham. melbourne's midfield - missing moloney and trengove as the only two players in our group who are even approaching 'star' status, plus mckenzie - out-worked them for the most part. great to see.

I watched from a 'Cocktail Bar' in a Pub. The waitress doesn't like Footy and only wanted PoP Music Mtv on. I insisted I was told I could watch the footy & Eat my meal there. She resisted but I found other Bar staff to help out, Re getting the Austar station selector turned on, & Footies back.

Sound Off, what a pleasure... Until they flash that E'd mcguire ideot all over the screen. spoils the food...

What a day for a Win, over who was it again??? Oh, yeah, Mark Neelds former team. Luckily it was in colour, or it would have spoilt a great Demon Win...

* Nathan Jones could become elite. Go ahead and laugh. But his rate of improvement, especially using the ball, is amazing

You won't hear me laughing. His goal in the last quarter was sublime. In heavy traffic, he snaps it through of one step!

I wouldn't exactly say the sky is the limit for Jones, but he was the acting skipper tonight and had a certain 'leaders presence' about him.

• Like 1

We had 179 kicks and only 81 handballs . It was so much different to how we have been playing in the last 4 years . Longer kicking , far more direct and our attack on the ball and general endeavor was 1st rate .

We also had a few notable outs - Clark , Moloney , Rivers , Tapscott , Trengove , Grimes , Bartram , McKenzie , Jurrah and Morton .

Our new players continue to impress . Especially Magner . He's a ripper ! And Martin provided an excellent target up forward . He knows how to play in front .

Jones was excellent . Magner very good . Martin , Green , Jamar , Garland , Frawley , Petterd , Sylvia , Sellar , Bate , Couch and Nicholson all put in and had good games . Thought Davis did some nice things as well .

All in all , a good solid hitout . The win was a nice bonus . Some very good signs .

Cheers

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

There was a lot to like, and a lot to work on, but it was a great result considering we have our club Family day at Luna Park tomorrow.

And I can hear them Membership cash registers warming up right now .

Go Demons , take out the Dawks next week .

40,000 members , bring it on .

Was super-impressed with Jones, his agression around the contest and ball use was first-rate tonight.

Make no mistake, this a rejuvenated Demon team - aggressive at the footy, great pressure around the stoppages and an intensity we havent seen for years.

The skill will improve with time (presumably) and the execution of the game plan will also lift as the season wears on but the attitude and the desperation is there in spades for all to see.

As WJ noted in his match report from last week, we are seeing the Neeld imprint on the team already.

• Like 1

......and both davis and mcnamara showed potential too.......

I presume you mean Tom McDonald...Tom McNamara is with us no longer.

I was impressed by the fact that after they were headed they came back twice. Sellar is a terrific addition now that he's over his personal problems and that means there are now twin pillars in Clark and Sellar. Tommy Mc in 10 minutes took a pack mark, made a great spoil and chased a smaller opponent pressuring him into error. I expect him to have many more minutes in the next two games.

Magner continued on from last week and Couch looked more comfortable. Nicho still can't kick and drops a couple of spots for mine.

Bail, after some poor disposal, was working out the kinks as the game wore on.

Martin will continue to get better and will provide x factor. Blease worked hard in the packs after he came on, but should have been there to crumb a couple of times arriving just too late.

Sylvia was instrumental in most of our scoring. Watts worked hard and a couple of good handballs and knock ons led to scores - but he need to do more.

Fitzpatrick was good and hunted the ball well.

Loved Davis's work and Tynon was tough early before going off. Petterd will be tricky to match up on.

Green looked his old self and Davey was lively until subbed off.

All in all, although only a glorified practice match there was a lot to like - except for Joel MacDonald, who if his brain fades any further it will cease to exist.

• Like 1

I went and had a ball.

I totally agree with all the posters.

Watts in particular was absolutely lost. He didn't know where or when to run. His positioning was terrible.

Magner and Jones were standouts.

The best thing is we got through a game at the Graveyard unscathed.

Trains were out between Parliament and Clifton Hill 1/2 hour from Southern Cross to parliament then catch buses to Clifton Hill.

Geez I hate Etihad. Never again.

I hate to say it but I was sitting there waiting for them to run over us. It didnt happen because they stuck to the game plan - yes we have a game plan at long last. A notable improver was Jamie B and loved the effort of Aaron in the first quarter. Thought Magner was the best out of the newbies and Howie just give me a thrill everytime it goes near him. I was surprised by Fitzpatrick in the ruck after some of the comments in here. Loved Dunne chattering away at Swan (I think) just p...........d him right off. Loved his niggle. Loved the silence of the filth supporters after the siren and instantly the excuses - only NAB and we had half our team out. At last we have won at ETIHAD. This win felt like it should have been and not just falling over the line win. I loved Ricky running up to Greeny and walking off with his arm over his shoulder. I hope this win gives Jimmy some comfort and joy at the moment.

• Like 1

As Ive said all along it is only the NAB cup so not that particularly interested however a good win by the boys.

I watched the game on silent and didnt want any commentator influence on my judgement, will watch again tomorrow.

A pretty good effort considering the plethora of players we did heave out of the side due to injury tonight, some handy players to come back.

Things I noticed (without hearing it)(me too) & will be good to see if anyone agrees: Please note without sound it was hard to know who were subs!!!

James Magner - Clearance machine, looks to be exactly the role model Neeld is after. I need more time to watch him.

Nath Jones - has lifted everything. Yep.

Tom Couch - Played well around the stoppages but seems to turn slowly. I need more time to watch him.

Bate - Got a bit of it but turned it over, tried his guts out but looks too slow for the midfield. Yep.. IMO he needs more games in the middle to adjust to the tempo of inside Mid, & to make better judgement decisions re timing, ball control, etc...

Sylvia - Excellent game, we saw what hes capable of, Im sure neeld was licking his lips. Yep.

Petterd - outstanding, people doubting his position need to think again, one of the best on for me, very courageous. Yep.

Dunn - Showed glimpses that he is the Dunn of old, done a lot of hard work off ball also. Hmmn, I'll wait to watch for the short steps, they'll appear.

Garland - My little brother got a bit of it but turned it over, recovered well in the last half... Lucky mark! HaHaHa, Yep, He looks a 3rd tall defender. But I think Davis will come on to take JMcDonalds spot by early this season. (Maybe Garland to the Wing to allow Davis some games through the year. Unless Rivers doesn't Run.)

Howe - Excellent before being subbed? Not sure why. Yep.

James Sellar - Will definetley be a part of our team, fantastic effort, composed courageous and is the a steal at pick 54. Yep.

Fitzpatrick - Actually looked very good in the ruck, didnt lose many battles, good at ground level too. Yep. And has very good Hands. Plus speed & quick thinking. When he starts to Mature I think we'll be Happy Little vegemites.

Frawley - Did his job and rebounded well off half back/wing. Looked rusty compared to past glories.

Bail - Looked rusty but did some good things. Yep. But I thought he worked into it, he's clean with his hands & disposal normally, but looked out of sync early, as did Petterd, but also worked into the game.

Martin - Looked quite good up forward, still looks very raw. I like Steph. IMO this young man will become a great Demon. When he clicks and gains real belief, lookout.

Green - The barometer, seemed to do his job well in pressure situations, dropped a sitter from memory. 1 year.

Davey - His defensive pressure in the forward line was quite impressive, seems to have picked up his old speed, probably a quiet night stat wise?? Not sure he'll fit in.

Tom McDonald - Very raw but kept battling, looked nervous. Limited gametime?? Excited about Tommy Mac.

Troy Davis - 12 months ago I said he will be the next Scarlett. Still a year away. Agreed, but I think we'll still see him in the side by @ least Mid season, & then regularly. To get games into him. To the detriment of Joel.

As I said it is only NAB cup so dont get too excited. We missed alot of easy goals too. Great Pressure and I can see why Neeld has said "we will be the hardest team to play against". So many players out... Grimes, Trengove, Jurrah, Moloney, Tapscott, Clark, Rivers?, McKenzie, etc etc. :)

The Biggest disappointment for me were:

Joel Macdonald - I have so many crosses next to his name (xxxxxx) does anyone agree? Yep. He dropped easy marks & made skill & disposal errors, causing our own pressure on ourselves. He fought hard but needs to stay composed. Will be overtaken this year.

Big Talking point for me is Jack Watts: Looked unsure as to his role tonight. He'll grow through the Year.

Very poor display, no effort, didnt jump and seemed to be playing more like a rover. Was one of the worst games I have seen from him.

Anyway these are just my thoughts, feel free to add or discuss as I couldnt hear a thing!! An enjoyable evening.

Go Dees!

:lol:

• Like 1

The NAB oob rule f's our game plan in the A. So I'm glad we're putting in a half decent show under the conditions.

New found ball winning ability and stoppages around the boundary will work for us.

Especially with Clark, Howe and Petterd up forward to contest, it's a plan that will suit our players. We never had the experience or speed to succeed using that handball jargon.

And thank christ we got Clark, he could be that big star forward we need. Watts will just be a player, sublime at times, but too little too often, he'll live through it because of all the execuses until one day we'll wonder where the time went.

Would love to be wrong, but when you see him stand there watching Petterd and Martin do what he should be doing, your heart sinks.

We've looked rushed in these three games when we have the ball, I think we'll improve as we settle into the season and become accustomed each other and the new plan.

Jones, Magner, Couch and Petterd very good. Garland cracked me up, half a shocker and half a ripper.

Not as impressed with Sellar as everyone else, I like Davis and hopes he removes Sellar or Rivers.

Howe has it all.

MacDonald is gone as soon as the injury list shrinks, 3 shockers in a row, this one was putrid.

Jamar looks as reliable in the air as ever, and is doing the percentage long field kick rather than a panicked handball.

All in all I'm happy with what I've seen, Watts being the only negative.

Oh and Bennell. Lol @ the amount of games he's played, what has he amassed, 8 possessions?

• Like 2

Perhaps the single aspect I was most impressed with from tonight's game was that we didn't run out of legs towards the end of the game. Our side didn't look tired, and that wasn't from a lack of effort. The players could have easily (we've all seen it before) given up because we were "well enough" out in front, or because of a lack of fitness & drive, but they kept on running, contesting, and, what seems to be quickly becoming Neeld's catchphrase, keeping their heads above the ball.

Feels great to win, feels better that we can expect more performances like this in the season proper.

Totally with you on that one mate. I was out for the evening so checking results on my phone and for whatever reason thought the game was over at 56-53 Collingwood's favour leaving me thinking here we go again, all talent, no heart. Then next time I looked and we'd won and man, I was fist pumping like a crazy man punching invisible unicorns. We've always had the talent, now we have the legs and the heart to follow it through 4 quarters of footy. So keen for round one.

• Like 2

Very big night for the club. I was listening on MMM and they were surprisingly even in tehir call. If anything, they gave us more discussion time that the pies. When one of them pulled the line about Collingwood having players out, he was quickly overridden by another pointing out how many we had out too. Wayne Carey kept saying that it looked like we'd drop the intensity and get rolled over. Was surprised that it didn't happen.

Once again, I'll have to wait until I can download the game to give a realistic opinion. However, it sounds like our youngsters and rookies really impressed. I heard Davis mentioned in play a lot, although he was never singled out by the callers.

It sounded to me like we were far less restricted than last week in terms of the gameplan. Am I right in thinking htat we played a more free-flowing attack when we had the ball to complement the zoning and conservative play when defending or under pressure?

Totally with you on that one mate. I was out for the evening so checking results on my phone and for whatever reason thought the game was over at 56-53 Collingwood's favour leaving me thinking here we go again, all talent, no heart. Then next time I looked and we'd won and man, I was fist pumping like a crazy man punching invisible unicorns. We've always had the talent, now we have the legs and the heart to follow it through 4 quarters of footy. So keen for round one.

Wow , I'm gonna have to use that line if ya don't mind 'Yossarian' . A beauty ! lol .

• Like 1

Guest Checker

Can't get too ahead of ourselves, but it was definately an encouraging night. Was just hoping to see a few youngsters show a gilmpse so the win was a sweet bonus.

I'll pretty much be repeating everyone if I post my thoughts so I'll add a few things I took away:

I like Nicho as a player but I think he'll struggle to hold a spot this year.

Jack Watts is one of my favourite players but jeez he was frustrating tonight. Anyone else notice his half hearted leads where he sticks his arms out and makes no real effort to get space? I want the Jack Watts I saw against Richmond last year who was killing himself to get the ball and throwing himself at the packs. Obviously needs confidence but might have to find it in the 2's.

Hope Gysberts gets a full game next week because although he looks off the pace, tonight wasn't enough to judge him on.

Davis impressed me, Magner was fantastic and Howe is a joy to watch.

Bring this back next week Demons!

• Like 2