THE LEAN AND HUNGRY LOOK

Demonland

That's how I saw it .Players deliberately kicked over him and he drew Reid? up the ground .Jack Watts will get plenty of the footy in the year .Look out!!! NAB or not ,we showed an ability to flood in defence and kick quickly and directly in attack .Players out in both teams -we were better drilled .The scoreboard flattered the filth .On a dryer night ,or with straighter kicking for goal ,it would have been a good old thumping.

Just finished watching the game after listening to it last night and have to say he was not as bad as some on this forum mae him out to be, he clearly drew REID out on a number of occassions leaving a nice space in the forward 50, the tap over his head to get us a goal (sorry cant recall who was on the end of it) was class and done on instinct

and I also noticed two other things

when he went up in a contest a couple of times rather then trying to take a 50/50 mark he punched the ball to ground, instead of letting the defender punch clear

he positioned himself well near contests to block defenders and/or provide time and space to his teamates

Thank god we have a coach instilling the 1%ers which don't stand out on highlight reels but make big differences. All part of his learning process so really not worried about Jack at all.

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1

I noticed that, none of the commentators brought it up, and neither did dunn or any other player. Maybe we were just looking at a bad angle?

Yep. I noticed that too. I looked at it again on the replay and it isn't 100% conclusive that he missed stepping on the 50 arc so who knows. Maybe he did step over it slightly. Surprised no one said anything on or off the field though.

The free was inside 50 against Thomas, the mark has to be outside 50 for a SG.

Ok. I thought it was where you took the kick from, but no doubt you're correct as no one blinked an eye. Rule seems a little dodgy to me. Like if you want to kick from outside whether it's a free or mark, or in general play, what's the difference? You still kicked it from outside 50 :huh:

Ok. I thought it was where you took the kick from, but no doubt you're correct as no one blinked an eye. Rule seems a little dodgy to me. Like if you want to kick from outside whether it's a free or mark, or in general play, what's the difference? You still kicked it from outside 50 :huh:

The rule is there to prevent someone taking a mark on the goal line, and walking outside 50, to take a kick for 9.

Makes sense

Tom Couch...I think

Was it Tom Crouch or not?

So who is Sebastion Costanzo?

Is He Georges Brother or is he just a pr**k relation what a joke that was

The rule is there to prevent someone taking a mark on the goal line, and walking outside 50, to take a kick for 9.

Makes sense

One of those rare nab cup rules that makes sense.

• Like 1

Was it Tom Crouch or not?

So who is Sebastion Costanzo?

Is He Georges Brother or is he just a pr**k relation what a joke that was

does it really matter?

Good:

Jones

Magner

Petterd

Sylvia

Couch

Garland

Bad:

Bennell

MacDonald

Ugly:

Watts- won't play round 1 unless form picks up

If you are going to criticise someone, be specifiic. At this stage you're simply bagging a couple of players for the sake of bagging them. Analyse their game by being specific so your assessment can itself be evaluated. Your've listed the better players as every commentator and newspaper has listed them. Why have you picked these two as worthy of criticism over the remaining twenty players. Re Watts why don't you take note of Neelds comments. Lazy analysis.

If you are going to criticise someone, be specifiic. At this stage you're simply bagging a couple of players for the sake of bagging them. Analyse their game by being specific so your assessment can itself be evaluated. Your've listed the better players as every commentator and newspaper has listed them. Why have you picked these two as worthy of criticism over the remaining twenty players. Re Watts why don't you take note of Neelds comments. Lazy analysis.

I agree... although he may not have had a bag-full of possessions, Bennell did some good things... in particular one spectacular pick up of the ball running out of the back line which he directed to a team mate and then his handball in heavy traffic from deep in the back line to Jones who then handballed over the top to set up what eventuated in a Dees goal (to Dunn I think it was).

Edited by hardtack

Mark neeld has done something to this club i have not seen in a long time which is bring back team spirit and fight we really do look like a new team out there and the boys over time with these type of wins will build the hunger that is needed to win flags and do whatever it takes to get there.

Hmmn, Yep. But Remember! It's Mark Neelds work Along with all the Footy dept's..

IF, it was just Neeldy,,, we would be right back we're we were.

So the clubs efforts in first sacrificing wins to develop the List, & Now going out to get the Right Footy dept' Talent to Coach this List into A Power group.

Hmmn, Yep. But Remember! It's Mark Neelds work Along with all the Footy dept's..

IF, it was just Neeldy,,, we would be right back we're we were.

So the clubs efforts in first sacrificing wins to develop the List, & Now going out to get the Right Footy dept' Talent to Coach this List into A Power group.

Yes but neeld is running the ship last time i had a look

It's not just the structure he needs to get his head around ...

Yes it is...now he is just a player, for his entire Sporting Career from Primary School till Mark Neeld arrived he was the Man.

Now he is a player given a task to perform for the betterment of the team....very big difference, but Jack will be ok.

So what he should have done is run off his line (Buddy style) to be called play-on then kicked it from behind the arc.

A Hawks player tried that in the game yesterday and even though the umpire called play on he said it was still for only 6 points??? The commentators even made reference to it and acted like he had tried to outsmart the umpire but the umpire was too clever to fall for that??? If anyone can explain the logic to me of the AFL/umpires/rules committee I will nominate them for the next Australian of the year.

A Hawks player tried that in the game yesterday and even though the umpire called play on he said it was still for only 6 points??? The commentators even made reference to it and acted like he had tried to outsmart the umpire but the umpire was too clever to fall for that??? If anyone can explain the logic to me of the AFL/umpires/rules committee I will nominate them for the next Australian of the year.

Unless your mark is outside 50, you can't score a 9 pointer unless you play on to someone else.

So you don't exploit it by going back 30m and wheeling off your line Buddy style as we've all just discussed.

Most players know this, there we're a couple of one-two's attempted in last years nab cup, it's the only way around it.

Next year will be interesting when there's a basketball ring at the top of each goal post, worth 1 million points if you kick it in one of them I believe.

Kick it in from outside 50 and you are the king of Moomba the following year.

• Like 1

OK, finally got to watch the game. In general I agree with most of what people have already said. I don't think Watts was quite as diabolical as many people make out, but he was still unimpressive. He seems to be trying too much to do the team things when he really needs to be selfish and demand the ball for himself. He also gets absolutely aweful delivery from the midfield which isn't going to help. All in all I think he needs to get a good solid 20+ disposals next week to justify round one, but he's not as far off as people make out.

• Like 1

Yes it is...now he is just a player, for his entire Sporting Career from Primary School till Mark Neeld arrived he was the Man.

Now he is a player given a task to perform for the betterment of the team....very big difference, but Jack will be ok.

No ..... there are other aspects he can work on - it's not just learning a new structure.

Like identifying when he needs to be more aggressive in a physical sense, when to corale and when not to corale; and when to tackle - with intent.

Next year will be interesting when there's a basketball ring at the top of each goal post, worth 1 million points if you kick it in one of them I believe.

Kick it in from outside 50 and you are the king of Moomba the following year.

We used to play 'board footy' on the asphalt basketball court back in the day. Wings had no boundries. 1 point for hitting the backboard, 6 for hitting the basket, 10 through the basket. Tackles were interesting, torps a decent quick option, and 'following the arc' drop punts scoring off the rim sublime.

Really enjoyed the NAB match. Jones, in particular, was fantastic.

Jack had a role to play, and will keep getting a role to play. Clark wasn't playing - both in the same 50 m arc will be an absolute delight to watch - they will both need to play decoy forward at times, the big defenders will be spread and we will score goals - whether that is directly from watts or Clark is irrelevant - it will allow Green, Petterd, Howe, Jurrah, Blease, Davey, Sylvia or whoever else is there more freedom and time to score goals as well. If watts is taking his man away from th play it is good. If his man doesn't follow him - jack will be all by himself in the arc - lovely!

Jack will play round1 and he will learn his role well. Next week with Clark against the Hawks will be interesting, one week closer to round 1 the intensity will be ramped up again

Nathan jones is just starting to turn into a true mid he has great skills in close and that goal in the forward 50 with luke ball on him was a great bit of play he could become the mid we need. His skills seem to have gone up 50% since last year he has really grown since neeld come to the club and seems to have worked very hard on his kicking. With moloney back in the middle this team looks strong around the ball. James magner and couch have had a great impact on the middle of the ground and we now look like we can win the hard balls to win first use coming out of the center bounce. Magner is a gem of a pickup and could be the key we needed to make finals this year.

• Like 1

Just got around to watching it a few hours ago. Very impressed by Jones, Magner, Sellar, Howe and Davis. I think Davis will play some senior footy this year, and Sellar will be very important to our team.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Tynan.

Fitzpatrick looked decent in his limited stint.

I'd give dual BOG to Petterd and Garland (I know he made two errors on this play, but how good was his mark while falling over?).

Dunn replicated some of his 2010 form.

Martin was good, bar running directly into Steele Sidebottom in the last quarter.

Watts went relatively unnoticed, but with Clark playing and taking the best defender will have a much bigger impact.

Nicholson needs to learn how to kick. If he can do this he could become a very good footballer.

Couch looked comfortable, I wouldn't promote him from the rookie list just yet though.

Even though it was only the NAB Cup, there is nothing quite like beating the filth. I think there is hope for 2012.

• Like 1

It was good to go and watch on Saturday Night, for most of the night I thought I was at the wrong event, all I heard was whistles all the time some one in lime was blowing a whistle. It was over umpired the holding the ball was out of control and watching with both eyes we seemed to get to worse of it.

That aside it was quite an entertaining match, it turned the clock back to the 90's kicking to contests strong around the footy. We seemed to kick to a position when under pressure, and on most occasions we had someone there to contest.

Most have covered the good players, the one I was impressed with was Davis, to me he just wants to compete, works hard. We will see him through the season proper. The other player that surprised was Fitzpatrick he rucked well.

I left happy knowing we had so much quality that either didn't play or played limited time, you inject Trengove and Moloney into the midfield, add Clark forward and Grimes/Rivers down back, plus Jurrah for huge x factor.

The only player to me that looked concerning was Gysberts, he only played 1 quarter and looked like he was running up a steep hill. There was one passage off play in the last he looked like he had found quick sand the legs were going but he wasn't moving that fast.

• Like 1