Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Wednesday 15th February, 2012

demonoid

whast ology? care to copy paste?

your wish is my command.....

I was blown away today.

For the first time I can recall, training is ultra relevant. It seems Neeld, Misson, Craig have broken down the game of footy and are dealing with every aspect.

Footballs coming from behind (via handball then voice call). Player turns around and reacts. Compare this to conventional "in front of you training".

Lot of focus of ball on ground. Lot of running with hands touching grass. Not your conventional token warm up.

Focus on burst muscles. Sprint then jog.

Focus on getting from ground to up right.

Good clearance work. 3 defenders pressing in orange. 5-7 attackers. Aim of attackers to clear ball to Leroy. Aim of defenders was to hold it up; physical pressure; block options AND force wide and/or high handballs. Attackers and defenders rotating. Multi-dimensional has arrived at Melbourne perhaps.

Near the Yarra goals. Attacking spreading and passing offensively (to goal) and defensively (clearing last line).

Groups were split up into 2 bulk groups (white and light blue). There were also 2 specialty groups.....so four in total.

Only Jurrah and 2 others (sorry, didn't recognise em) were doing conventional jog laps.

No injuries to report except (take a deep breath Graeme) a staff member that did his ankle at basketball last night. He should be right to get up to the fax by Friday.

• Like 3

oops beaten to it- great report though so deserves to get in twice

Thanks demonoid, I've removed the second one (we can do with just the one), sorry :)... dc has TGR as author too.

PS. Good description and thanks btw TGR.

Listened to SEN this morning and David King said training at all clubs this year has been brutal and the hardest he has ever seen; all clubs except Hawthorn seem to be adopting the same methods so it will be interesting to see if Hawthorn are right or the others are. Hawthorn are going for a more soccer orientated system of short sharp possession putting pressure on the opposition.

He also said that the Demons had taken the view that players should shed weight whereas Essendon were of the opinion that they should bulk up; once again it will be interesting to see if one is right and the other wrong or if both methods have their value.

Listened to SEN this morning and David King said training at all clubs this year has been brutal and the hardest he has ever seen; all clubs except Hawthorn seem to be adopting the same methods so it will be interesting to see if Hawthorn are right or the others are. Hawthorn are going for a more soccer orientated system of short sharp possession putting pressure on the opposition.

He also said that the Demons had taken the view that players should shed weight whereas Essendon were of the opinion that they should bulk up; once again it will be interesting to see if one is right and the other wrong or if both methods have their value.

Hi RobbieF have not seen you for a while !

Seems we were on the bulk up trip last year and that did not produce much of a year.

So the opposite could hardly make us worse this year.

Interesting to see how Moloney and Bate Go this year as they were obviously a lot heavier last year.

David King is putting a broad brush on this and I don't think he brings anything of worth to the table here. As many have posted on the training reports a lot of our guys have put on size and some, one in particular, Moloney has dropped a bit. As Neeld says they are on individual programs, I can't see them wanting to trim down Lucas Cook or Jack Watts for that matter.

• Like 1

I think that is an oversimplification of whats happening. I was surprised to see a photo of moloney the other day he clearly has trimmed down. Jones in todays article said he had been asked to shed a few as well. Against that its clear others have put a few kgs on. the photo of Watts by the pool shows he has bulked up.

What we are getting is the benefit of targetted training for each player.

Quite a few years back i was invited to a Swans match and pre game lunch. I recall discussing the Swans ability to go through season largely injury free and the long a detailed response i got about how they had very carefully tailored programs for each player which measured just about everything.

What we are seeing is micro management of every aspect of training.

I am excited about this year not because we will leap to the top of the table but because we will have not left anything to chance.

Neeld and co are not going to die wondering.

you mean Cook and Morton are shedding weight....JC!

David King likes talking thru his rrrrz. Truth is more like we have individual tailored programs where some will bulk up and others trim down., but that's probably too subtle for Kingy.

Yes good report... I was also at training today. One of the players running laps with LJ was Jack Viney, LJ struggled to keep up. Also to report was that Rivers left strait after the warm up, he seemed to have a bit of a limp. I didn't see him return.

Is Jurrah's continued absence from the main group becoming a bit of a concern?

Hi RobbieF have not seen you for a while !

Seems we were on the bulk up trip last year and that did not produce much of a year.

So the opposite could hardly make us worse this year.

Interesting to see how Moloney and Bate Go this year as they were obviously a lot heavier last year.

Hi Old Dee I haven't posted much lately it gets a bit monotonous reading some of the threads that go over and over the same thing, I just want the season to start so we can discuss reality as opposed to what may be.

I think what King was saying was, we will try to have a more athletic group and that will mean some will bulk up but some will tone down I don't think he meant that all the players were going to lose weight just those that needed to a more even group overall. Whereas with Essendon they seem to want an overall larger playing group.

Just having a big frame doesn't mean you will be a better player but if you are undersized you will struggle in today's game.

you mean Cook and Morton are shedding weight....JC!

David King likes talking thru his rrrrz. Truth is more like we have individual tailored programs where some will bulk up and others trim down., but that's probably too subtle for Kingy.

I think that's effectively what he was saying but the schools of thought are that the Essendon players, overall, will opt for the larger bodies and the Dees will opt for something a bit less that that. I guess these guys only have a limited time and they can't qualify everything they say or they would have to go through the entire list and explain what they meant for each individual player.

I'm sure he didn't mean that Lucas Cook or Morton should trim up, common sense would answer that question and I imagine they would think we all had some of that, I certainly know you do.

I also caught this. In relation to Hawthorn it is more them kicking the ball around keeping the opposition accountable to enable breaking up of zone set-ups by opposition; similar to what they've done in the past, Efficient execution of small passing being the key.

Is Jurrah's continued absence from the main group becoming a bit of a concern?

A little bit concerning - I thought club were originally saying that he was supposed to be with the main group by mid Jan from memory and that's clearly not the case... Anyway, if there's one guy we don't want to rush, it's Jurrah. We need his confidence to be sky-high when he plays his first game.

Every time I pop into training the one constant is that Jurrah will be doing laps with Jack Viney...jeez he's done his fair share of distance running over the summer! Makes me think, does Jack Viney not go to school at all any more? Is he already finished?

By the way, the other guy doing laps with those two today was James Magmer. The gun show.

Thought the session was really sharp today. The pinpoint chip-kicks out of defence were effective in spite of the wind. Standouts were Mitch Clark up forward - he's just super competitive, Lucas Cook took a couple of pressure grabs and as per usual, Jeremy Howe shone. During the match practice he was wearing these ridiculous padded bike shorts, the kind that protect a corkie... but they were massive on both sides. He got a couple of good handball receives and took off like lightening - he really does look extremely quick out there, even though those shorts would have hindered him. Love this guy.

Good sesh, looking forward to Friday. Nice timing for me to be in between jobs!

:)

I'm pretty sure that King was merely responding to a prompt that we're supposed to have lost weight. He wasn't the one making the observation.

I too was at training and would love to know which one was TGR. :) There was no sign of Bartram, Gysberts, Davey, Martin, and McKenzie. The rehab group consisted of Grimes, Jurrah, Viney, Magner, Evans, Williams, one other, plus another group of 3 that were obviously monitoring loads (Sellar, Bate, forget).

TGR has covered most. I enjoyed watching the game simulation where they were getting the ball out of defense through the flanks and wing. My 3 standouts - Trengove, Morton, and Dunn. I don't have Dunn in my best 22, but he was good today and will play games. We know he's flaky, but he does have X factor.

Yep. are, who won out of the Cats & the Pies last Year?

Dunn is flakey? Don't think so. He has his fair share of footy smarts and skill.

I look forward to his year under Neeld as I don't think he'll get away with what he has done in the past.

Edit - response to Ben H

He has footy smarts and skill, but yes he's flaky. He'll go missing for large chunks of a game and has a history of hearing footsteps. If he wasn't flaky why do you think he's borderline best 22 with his "fair share of footy smarts and skill" ? And if you're about to say he's been inconsistent I also equate that to being "flaky". Last time I looked up "flaky" it said "an unreliable person". You think he's reliable ?

Edited by Ben-Hur