Colin Sylvia

H_T

Sylvia is getting shunted out by Neeld on the HFF, play the man ON THE BALL!!!! He's best games have been there and he is a goal-kicking mid. Get the guy in the there ffs!

• Like 1

Let's get rid of everyone. Morton's not going to get a game in 2013 (even though he's contracted) Sylvia is gone and so is Moloney. We'll go through next year being the youngest team in the comp and then at the end of 2013 we can clear out Clark and Frawley.

But seriously WTF is with Sylvia and Moloney. They put in against the Bombers and we win. Neither show up today and we struggle to stay in touch with the pies.

We can't trade them because Moloney is a free agent and Sylvia has no currency. How do we solve a problem like these two? I've no f'in idea!

Sylvia is getting shunted out by Neeld on the HFF, play the man ON THE BALL!!!! He's best games have been there and he is a goal-kicking mid. Get the guy in the there ffs!

Good point. The best footy I've seen him play is when he's bursting his way out of the scrum like the juiced-up lovechild of Chris Judd and a raging bull. The forward flank is probably the best place on a footy field to get cold, and Sylvia looks like an ice-block at times.
  • Like 1

Sylvia is in the forward line to play a defensive game. God knows he would be an utter liability down back, or as a tagger, so that is the only option Neeld has of teaching the least accountable human being on our list to go the other way.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, suits Neeld's game plan less than Sylvia. He isn't an accumulator of the footy, he isn't a good gut runner, and he isn't defensive minded.

He has always been a lazy downhill skier with good skills and a dumb footy brain, and this game plan has exposed him badly.

At least Moloney can still claim to be a good clearance player *just*.

Put Sylvia in the middle and watch his opponent run rings around him while he pissfarts around. No thanks.

• Like 9

Good point. The best footy I've seen him play is when he's bursting his way out of the scrum like the juiced-up lovechild of Chris Judd and a raging bull. The forward flank is probably the best place on a footy field to get cold, and Sylvia looks like an ice-block at times.

Yep, wing or inside the square.

Rest him in the forward pocket for short spells maybe, but he's a centreline player for sure.

Garry Lyon wouldn't even get a kick in the role Sylvia is being asked to play. The coaching staff have clearly instructed him to not go near stoppages (even in the forward line) and we never look to pass the ball to a leading player going inside 50.

Sylvia is in the forward line to play a defensive game. God knows he would be an utter liability down back.

Why? Because he has no defensive skills. If so, then how in the hell can we expect him to do any better as a DEFENSIVE forward? Pretty much the only place in todays game where you can get away with a total lack of defensive mindset is on the bench - and if it's come to that, then I reckon it's about time to give it up,

Why? Because he has no defensive skills. If so, then how in the hell can we expect him to do any better as a DEFENSIVE forward? Pretty much the only place in todays game where you can get away with a total lack of defensive mindset is on the bench - and if it's come to that, then I reckon it's about time to give it up,

I'm pretty sure that's where he's headed.

Neeld surely isn't a fan.

• Like 1

Let's get rid of everyone. Morton's not going to get a game in 2013 (even though he's contracted) Sylvia is gone and so is Moloney. We'll go through next year being the youngest team in the comp and then at the end of 2013 we can clear out Clark and Frawley.

But seriously WTF is with Sylvia and Moloney. They put in against the Bombers and we win. Neither show up today and we struggle to stay in touch with the pies.

We can't trade them because Moloney is a free agent and Sylvia has no currency. How do we solve a problem like these two? I've no f'in idea!

Sylvia put in for about 10 mins in the last quarter. That was it. ABout his average input.

I told you all weeks ago...

Same. Years ago actually.

I can clearly recall watching him up close on the wing at the G one day back in his debut season. It must have been his 3rd or 4th game and he had the big wraps of the number 2 draft pick or whatever he was. He wouldn't chase, just trotted along at his own pace strutting around like he owned the joint.

Nothing's changed. Not. A. Thing.

It's just embarrassing to see guys like Beams and Sidebottom who've been in the game all of three or four seasons just blow past him like he's a sloth on tranquilizers. Just drop him to Casey aleady and leave him there. FFS he didn't even play a single game there last time he was dropped.

Enough's enough. The guy is living off a few glory games from four seasons ago. He's no better than an average plodding hack with a Tarzan physique which has bluffed everyone into thinking "he looks like a good footballer, so he must be one".

Wrong.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 3

It would also free up #12 for some new gun mid whose dad wore it with such pride and passion!

• Like 3

The only defensive froward we had yesterday was Mitch Clarke absolutely thrashed himself.

Where were the others ? So easy for Collingwood to run off and burst through the midfield Green Silvia abolutely no defence

I have to agree. But for God's sake can we drop Moloney before we drop Sylvia. At least Sylvia has had an interrupted pre-season. Moloney's got no excuse for his poor performances and apparently lacklustre efforts.

It's Round 11. When are we going to stop using this "interrupted pre-season" carp as an excuse?

Agreed oppositon players have innterupted pre seasons but still work hard and play well. Sylvia is one player who is part of mediocre players who we dont need. Bomber Thompson said essendon would take him. I would happily swap him for a Brent Prismall. I know he has had his knee problems but he can get the ball and as a experienced fringe player would be helpful to our younger mids. Unfortunatley not much currency for Sylvia!!!

Why do we have to trade every bit of class we have on the list ?

Colin played OK yesterday for someone who was running around with a flattened schnozz .

It's not his fault he broke his spine earlier this year either .

FFS he is about to hit his straps and it will be either with us or against us .

I can get over the past and see that Col is having a go and has some pride in his game.

Anyone here ever try to run fifteen kms ,with wrestling thrown in ,breathing only through the mouth?

Brent and Colin are both inconsistent I agree.

Both have been known to hit the turps as well-big deal.

Can they improve? Yes

Are they best 22? Yes.

• Like 2

Same. Years ago actually.

I can clearly recall watching him up close on the wing at the G one day back in his debut season. It must have been his 3rd or 4th game and he had the big wraps of the number 2 draft pick or whatever he was. He wouldn't chase, just trotted along at his own pace strutting around like he owned the joint.

Nothing's changed. Not. A. Thing.

It's just embarrassing to see guys like Beams and Sidebottom who've been in the game all of three or four seasons just blow past him like he's a sloth on tranquilizers. Just drop him to Casey aleady and leave him there. FFS he didn't even play a single game there last time he was dropped.

Enough's enough. The guy is living off a few glory games from four seasons ago. He's no better than an average plodding hack with a Tarzan physique which has bluffed everyone into thinking "he looks like a good footballer, so he must be one".

Wrong.

Rangey... I thhink we were lampooned all thsoe years back when we called it onthis bloke. Surely we were just loonies who knew nothing. But they kept campaigning, kept at it. No..No...Col is Good. You'll see, hes a gem , classy, smooth etc. Fast forward a few years and we now amazingly ALL see him for the imposter he is.. Its kind of amusing I reckon. There are others at teh club who share he ineffectiveness on the ground, and some still want to persevere , just in case these might one day do something. Some just dont learn

Those who suggest keeping him unless...unless what really. We now all KNOW what we het from Sylvia.. its nto a whole lot. Its really time to cut lossses and just pack him off, free up a spot, get what we can , I mean it , whatever and move on.

So much thats written about our players' potential etc remindds me on a gambler looking to the next week to recoup his lossses. just need that one good game/win to get us going.

it never comes

• Like 2

It's Round 11. When are we going to stop using this "interrupted pre-season" carp as an excuse?

It goes against my grain to go into bat for Sylvia too much, because I've been reasonably critical for a long time, but I will point out that breaking vertebrae in your back will have an impact on your performance. But yes, when you walk on to the field, etc. Also, Sylvia missed most of the Dave Misson running sessions. Unfortunately, this also impacts his ability to be the creative option his talent suggests he should be.

Colin Sylvia isn't a great midfielder and never has been. So those requesting a return to the middle simply don't understand his game. Sylvia is a burst player with reasonable pace that finishes well. As Jaded mentioned, he's playing a defensive role in the forward-line and yesterday his job was to curtail the run of Harry O'Brien. He's never been great around stoppages and doesn't read the game as well as players like Swan and Pendlebury. He's 'slow twitch' around stoppages. He just doesn't think, or execute quickly enough. He's best as a link-man when he can get out wide and use his penetrating running and kicking. He's also a strong contested mark.

I haven't given up on him and reckon he has the skill set to play the Sharrod Wellingham role, but presently his body won't allow that. I hope he has an uninterrupted preseason so that Neeld can train him to be that type of damaging player. I see no reason why he can't be as good, or better than Wellingham.

• Like 1

It goes against my grain to go into bat for Sylvia too much, because I've been reasonably critical for a long time, but I will point out that breaking vertebrae in your back will have an impact on your performance. But yes, when you walk on to the field, etc. Also, Sylvia missed most of the Dave Misson running sessions. Unfortunately, this also impacts his ability to be the creative option his talent suggests he should be.

Colin Sylvia isn't a great midfielder and never has been. So those requesting a return to the middle simply don't understand his game. Sylvia is a burst player with reasonable pace that finishes well. As Jaded mentioned, he's playing a defensive role in the forward-line and yesterday his job was to curtail the run of Harry O'Brien. He's never been great around stoppages and doesn't read the game as well as players like Swan and Pendlebury. He's 'slow twitch' around stoppages. He just doesn't think, or execute quickly enough. He's best as a link-man when he can get out wide and use his penetrating running and kicking. He's also a strong contested mark.

I haven't given up on him and reckon he has the skill set to play the Sharrod Wellingham role, but presently his body won't allow that. I hope he has an uninterrupted preseason so that Neeld can train him to be that type of damaging player. I see no reason why he can't be as good, or better than Wellingham.

Wellingham is a whippet compared to Col. But time after time he used his strength to push our players off the ball and get position. His marking and commitment was outstanding, Col should dream about being as consistently good a player