Training - Friday 27th January, 2012

Angelus BTVS

I'm not a fan of Cale Morton but its not his fault that he can't put on muscle bulk. Some people are blessed with more fast twitch fibers than slow fibres which enables them to grow muscle bulk. Unfortunately for Cale he will never put substantial muscle bulk on, just muscle definition. It's like comparing a marathon runner to a 100m sprinter he just doesn't have the genes.

[censored]. Sure it is harder for some people to put on bulk than others, but it's not impossible like you're suggesting - he just has to put more effort into his training and more specifically his diet, than others.

[censored]. Sure it is harder for some people to put on bulk than others, but it's not impossible like you're suggesting - he just has to put more effort into his training and more specifically his diet, than others.

I take it you're speaking with the benefit of years of experience as a doctor of sports science and physiology, as opposed to just someone completely uneducated on the topic beyond their own limited personal experience..?

Well, that's reassuring.

Boo, Cale.

Morton weighed in at the 2007 draft camp at 75kg, was recorded at the start of the 2011 season at 86kg and by my observations has put on 3-4kg more since last year.

My point remains that he will never bulk up as other players will eg frawley. I would presume he already puts effort into diet & preparation seeing as he is a professional.

As someone has already stated he has added 10kg in 4 years since beIng drafted, doesn't exactly look like he is bulking up tho does it. If you want more evidence go read through some exercise physiology/sports science books.

Bonkers you make a good point. Cale will find it harder to put on muscle than other players. By nature of his physical make up.

As already pointed out he has put on weight and that is expected being a full time athlete. Muscle and strength are not always inclusive. Some people look big but are not always as strong as smaller lkg people.

Cale's big issue IMO is his application. Mentally he looks scared out on the ground. As Mark Neeld has stated in an article, toughness and application can be coached.

Cale has started putting on weight over his slim frame only after he stopped growing. Like Jack Watts did. Jack is younger but Cale may have stopped growing only a year or so back. How tall is Cale Morton now?. His profile says 192 and 87Kg. I reckon he may be taller than that and heavier. He has just turned 22. Cam Bruce (for example) is 190 and 86, so he will be a fair bit bigger than that. Im sure some will turn on Brucey but he has a 13 year AFL history so IMO it isnt a big issue.

• Like 4

I think i read somewhere Cale hired a personal trainer on top of his training with the club. If thats true he obviously is improving his off field application and is trying to turn things around. If anyone has a breakout year, i hope its Cale. He has massive talent.

• Like 2

Who has proof that Cale is not pushing himself? I have been to three training sessions and have seen no reason whatsoever that justifies him being targetted over anyone else. Not being built like Frawley is no reason as he obviously does not have a frame that is going to bulk. I do not expect Cale to be a superstar but again the constant criticism of him over the pre-season is a joke.

Shame, isn't it? Until I got to that line I thought I might've been reading a training report without preconceived hyperbole like Spirit of 39's last week.

The bit I don't get about Morton is why he needs to put on weight. He isn't ever going to be a key position player he just needs to have enough weight on to stop injuries and to have strength on the field. James Hird and Nat Fyfe are 2 examples of skinny blokes who haven't struggled. Morton just needs to find a consistent position and fight for it. Bigger than his physicality problem is his disposal problem. Hopefully both improve with coaching and confidence.

The bit I don't get about Morton is why he needs to put on weight. He isn't ever going to be a key position player he just needs to have enough weight on to stop injuries and to have strength on the field. James Hird and Nat Fyfe are 2 examples of skinny blokes who haven't struggled. Morton just needs to find a consistent position and fight for it. Bigger than his physicality problem is his disposal problem. Hopefully both improve with coaching and confidence.

wow!!! one word i would not have to describe Hird is "skinny"

do you remember how big he was when he came back from one of his serious injuries?

Skinny bloke to be compared to Cale - "Twiggy" Dunne !

And our own Robbie Flower was no "Heavyweight" . Gee , could he play ! And he would be even better in todays footy in my opinion .

Cale just needs to develop a manic desire for the footy . He doesn't need to look like an "Adonis"

Edited by Macca

wow!!! one word i would not have to describe Hird is "skinny"

do you remember how big he was when he came back from one of his serious injuries?

Speaking of James Hird . He went at pick 79 in the 1990 National Draft . We had picks 75 and 77 which we used on Robert Panozza and Niall Buckley . Maybe James was regarded as too "Skinny" !

Can you imagine if we had of had a thread going back then ? The mind boggles !

http://en.wikipedia..../1990_AFL_Draft

Speaking of James Hird . He went at pick 79 in the 1990 National Draft . We had picks 75 and 77 which we used on Robert Panozza and Niall Buckley . Maybe James was regarded as too "Skinny" !

Some posters would no doubt try to justify our earlier picks.

He must have been regarded as too 'something' to go at 79. Perpaps it is just that melbourne recruiting is always bad no matter what and unless you question it with hindsight you'll never really know.

Ron, what the hell? Are you really using the hird pick to suggest that people will justify anything? Are you using a fluke to justify that Cale ws bad pick and that thinking about things is wrong? Is this just very very subtle irony?

I can't believe this F/S selection pick is being explained again................and again..................and..........................

I know!

It is Freak however...

For the 50th, but no means the last, time - The Father Son Bidding Day is BEFORE Trade Week. And you are behoven to the pick that you had to take.

Clubs know we have committed to Viney - they will make us pay full price.

So stop with the nonsense - we are using a first round pick on the kid.

And some would say its bovious we should have used our first round pick in that year and draft Hird but no MFC prefer "choirboys".......

Hird had serious serious injuries in his last year as a junior thus was not looked at by other clubs. Furthermore Essendons board had a vote at the end of the 1991 season on whether to delist him and if I remember correctly the board voted 5-2 to get rid of him. Sheedy cracked it and overrode the board to keep him.

I think like Tom Brady in the NFL is just a case of one in a million.

Edited by Demon Land 7