Jack Trengove For Captain

Range Rover

I really don't want a third year player focused on leading the club. He should be focusing on his game and trying to improve (which i'm sure he is)

I remember many having the same conversation about Brock Mclean in his third year.

I really don't want a third year player focused on leading the club. He should be focusing on his game and trying to improve (which i'm sure he is)

I remember many having the same conversation about Brock Mclean in his third year.

And we didnt give it to him and he slipped away.......oh well

FCS

Threads like this make me really disappointed in our supporter base. What does a player have to do to earn the slightest piece of respect at this club?

Brent Moloney - lifelong Melbourne supporter, forces his way onto Geelong's list 'the hard way' - through the rookie list. As a second year player he features in their finals campaign before coming our way in exchange for a first round draft pick. Battles the dreaded osteitis pubis that stalls his career completely for 3 seasons. Despite this, becomes starting midfielder. Earns the respect of his club, going beyond the call, not just on-field but as a clubman and becomes vice-captain. Even after losing it through an off-field incident, he earns it back 'the hard way' through dedication and game day performance. Wins the best and fairest and finishes ninth in the brownlow. Above all else, this bloke is hard as nails and has never at any stage taken a backwards step on the football field or done anything other than what is best for his coach and the side.

Anyone with the slightest clue about how a football club operates would realise you give this man the captaincy without a moment's hesitation. Especially given there is nobody else on the list who comes remotely close to ticking all the boxes that the player in discussion has. However, most of you operate under the mindset of a desperate minnow club, and want to give it a bloke that has 2 years experience and - while clearly a potential star - has in no way earned it, and as we have all learned 'the hard way' could be off at the end of the year for whatever club can arrange an under-the-table payday for him. Not to mention he is one of a long line of Melbourne players that bolted out of the gate, and the vast majority never became anything. It's the exact same cretins spouting this garbage who wanted Brock McLean captain after the 2006 elimination final. That worked out well didn't it?

Fortunately I know damn well those in charge at the club would never allow such an embarrassing injustice to occur - because they know how football clubs operate - and Moloney will be the next captain of the MFC, like he was born and bred to be.

When Trengove, Grimes, Watts etc get to the point they can list an equivalent CV than Moloney, they will have earnt it.

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 4

FCS

Threads like this make me really disappointed in our supporter base. What does a player have to do to earn the slightest piece of respect at this club?

Brent Moloney - lifelong Melbourne supporter, forces his way onto Geelong's list 'the hard way' - through the rookie list. As a second year player he features in their finals campaign before coming our way in exchange for a first round draft pick. Battles the dreaded osteitis pubis that stalls his career completely for 3 seasons. Despite this, becomes starting midfielder. Earns the respect of his club, going beyond the call, not just on-field but as a clubman and becomes vice-captain. Even after losing it through an off-field incident, he earns it back 'the hard way' through dedication and game day performance. Wins the best and fairest and finishes ninth in the brownlow. Above all else, this bloke is hard as nails and has never at any stage taken a backwards step on the football field or done anything other than what is best for his coach and the side.

Anyone with the slightest clue about how a football club operates would realise you give this man the captaincy without a moment's hesitation. Especially given there is nobody else on the list who comes remotely close to ticking all the boxes that the player in discussion has. However, most of you operate under the mindset of a desperate minnow club, and want to give it a bloke that has 2 years experience and - while clearly a potential star - has in no way earned it, and as we have all learned 'the hard way' could be off at the end of the year for whatever club can arrange an under-the-table payday for him. Not to mention he is one of a long line of Melbourne players that bolted out of the gate, and the vast majority never became anything. It's the exact same cretins spouting this garbage who wanted Brock McLean captain after the 2006 elimination final. That worked out well didn't it?

Fortunately I know damn well those in charge at the club would never allow such an embarrassing injustice to occur - because they know how football clubs operate - and Moloney will be the next captain of the MFC, like he was born and bred to be.

When Trengove, Grimes, Watts etc get to the point they can list an equivalent CV than Moloney, they will have earnt it.

F'ing Huge +1

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,898 posts

Posted Today, 10:30 PM

FCS

Edited by Curry & Beer, Today, 10:37 PM.

Are you saying you think trengrove might go at the end of the year if so you are on the green stuff sorry but i agree that beamer will get the role and trengrove will be next in line

FCS

You say what we all already know and that is that Beamer is a great candidate, but he also has had his indiscretions, ie. being demoted from his VC position last year. This is the issue, Beamer has Leader written all over him, and luckily for him Neeld says the past is the past he and he will only worry about what he sees and hears now ect *clean sheets all round*

The thing is the players know what he has done in the past, and you want your Captain to be 100% not 98% or anything less.

BTW i think Moloney is the best candidate at this stage with Trengove in a succession plan * as VC for 2 years or so

edit - Trengove is signed up so he has to wait 3 years before he even thinks about going anywhere

Edited by Jordie_tackles

I think JT is future captaincy material but not at 20 years of age.

I've always liked Jack Grimes for the position and but for the fact that he missed most of last season with injury and needs to concentrate on his come back, I would have had him as favourite.

In the end its going to be a tough call. Nobody really stands out to me and I'm happy its not my call. Happier to leave the decision to Mark Neeld and the coaches.

Grimes needs to get his body right. Moloney would be seen as a temporary suitor (not what i want). Trengove was born to lead, pure and simple. is he too young? Only one way to find out!

I'd let Greeny retain the captaincy for one more year, with Trenners to step up in a years time, when he has a bit more experience, but more importantly, has had a year of Neeld's coaching style under his belt.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Patience Grasshopper. Jack Trengove needs at least one more season under his belt yet. He will be captain though. But right now let him concentrate on just finding the pill.

I'd say 2 Yrs. We need 2 Years out of someone. Maybe an eastern block lump of a Lad. A Siberian???

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,898 posts

Posted Today, 10:30 PM

FCS

Edited by Curry & Beer, Today, 10:37 PM.

Are you saying you think trengrove might go at the end of the year if so you are on the green stuff sorry but i agree that beamer will get the role and trengrove will be next in line

I agree totally with this. JT looks fantastic, but Beamer deserves it now. He turns 28 in January. This would give him a likely 2-3 yrs in the job. This time-frame would leave JT absolutely ripe for it in 2014. It would give him time to develop as a footballer, and as he stated in the article, "We'll just see what happens. Not all leaders have to be in the leadership group." - What a fantastic attitude!

He is an obvious future captain, but right now we a blessed with many future leaders. The obvious ones are JT, Watts, Grimes, Chip, Jones, Jordie McK, Tappy and even the big Russian.

If we look to the best team of the modern era, Geelong, we see 4 or 5 players who could be captain. That's one of the reasons they have dominated recent history, their ability to adapt their tactics and overcome teams that might have the wood on them early in the game. This takes great on-field leadership and a core of strong, smart players. Geelong had a really good captain in Tom Harley. Ling had to wait his turn. He only got two years but did a great job. It is assumed that Selwood will be next, but we can see that Bartel, Taylor, Corey or Enright could all do the job if they had to.

Beamer deserves it now. Having a number of burgeoning leaders is a great thing but we don't need to rush JT in to the job. These guys will be the core of the team over the next few years and hopefully they will be the players who will steer us through a successful era.

Others will emerge as well.

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226216761570

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/demon-jack-trengove-is-just-trying-to-learn/story-e6frf9jf-1226216756828

http://www.theage.co...1207-1oj8k.html

* You have to wonder whether these journos scour footy forum websites for topics to come up with. Where's my royalty cheque!

Edited by Range Rover

No one deserves the named captian. Our leadership group last year that included Moloney was disgraceful. I agree with a previuos post leave it with Green and throw the challenge out there for someone to step up.

To me we have Green next year and 3 contenders for 2013

Moloney-he needs to play well in the games we are losing, if you look at least year Moloney beat up on weaker midfields but went missing agasinst better midfields.

Trengove-Just keep improving start to dominate in a few games

Grimes-Get your body right and play 20-22 games

I'm of the opinion that Trenners is probably a bit too young and inexperienced to take on the job. Which is somewhat disappointing because whoever takes on the captaincy this year probably won't have it for very long.

If Green does get the captaincy, how long will he keep it for? Will someone younger be ready to take the torch 2013? If not it will just be another stop gap.

If Moloney get the captaincy, how long will he keep if for? I guess he may be good for 2-3 years, but would still feel a little on the temporary side. Our future is in our younger players and he'd just be keeping the seat warm for one of them.

Maybe Jones is a legitimate candidate and can hold on to it long term.

I guess my frustration stems from the many captaincy changes of the last couple of years. When Neitz couldn't get through his last year we had co-captains, then JMac and Green.

I wan't to see a captain that I know will be there for the long haul.

Failing that I'd like to see some of the younger guys as VC, Jones, Grimes and Ternners.

Why not allow Trengove to learn on the job? We are not going to win a flag this year and in all likelihood next, so let him absorb ideas and influences, let him make a few mistakes, so that he'll be cherry ripe to lead us on premiership assaults from 2014 - 2020.

Be bold!

"You'd jump at any opportunity like that, for sure. "I always feel like I want to lead by example in everything I do and I try to be professional in the way I go about my footy on and off the field. "So in that aspect I have no problem with leading in that area." - Jack Trengove

Edited by Range Rover

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226216761570

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226216756828

http://www.theage.co...1207-1oj8k.html

* You have to wonder whether these journos scour footy forum websites for topics to come up with. Where's my royalty cheque!

Royalty cheque?

The afl.com link you posted in the OP virtually stated the same thing

I see the issue of captaincy 2 ways

Green for 1 more year then someone like Trengove

or Moloney for a minmum 3 years

I cannot fathom how people would see it as acceptable to tell Moloney, "you'll be captain for 12 months, until who we see is a better candiate, is ready for it"

Would be too big a slap in the face

Give the captaincy to whoever Neeld and co. think is the best candidate (candidates for joint captaincy) and renew it every year.

Maxwell says it has to win back the captaincy every year and he wouldn't have it any other way - he doesn't want to be Mitchell to anyones Hodge.

I see Moloney as the only one who can manage it by himself, with possibly Grimes if he can do most of the pre-season.

Or Trengove, Frawley, Grimes, Garland, and Jones can make up the three who share it.

If rpfc was to make a decision right now:

LG: Grimes, Trengove, Garland, Frawley, and Jones.

Captain: Moloney

No one deserves the named captian. Our leadership group last year that included Moloney was disgraceful. I agree with a previuos post leave it with Green and throw the challenge out there for someone to step up.

To me we have Green next year and 3 contenders for 2013

Moloney-he needs to play well in the games we are losing, if you look at least year Moloney beat up on weaker midfields but went missing agasinst better midfields.

Trengove-Just keep improving start to dominate in a few games

Grimes-Get your body right and play 20-22 games

I've been saying this for ages Dr.

My key points;

* Trengove is still 1 season away from me being able to entertain the idea. As Robbie Flower said in those articles, he needs to concentrate on his own personal development this year, and I feel a place in the leadership team will help him develop his leadhership abilities, as well as working on his on-field individual responsibilities.

* Grimes just needs to stay fit. Give me 1 full season Jack, and I will definitely look at you in 2013.

* Moloney, well, I'm just not sure. He loves the Club, bleeds red & blue, but I really do think going in to our window tha twe would be served better by one of the 2 above leading us. Becuase of his passion for the Club, it would be criminal to give him the job for 1 or 2 years, only to give it to JT or JG when they are ready (which I'm sure can be as of 2013).

* Jones (see Moloney).

* Frawley - not mature enough off-field. A Captain needs to lead both on and off, he's only 50% there at the moment.

* Green should have 2 years left of his career, even though he is on a one year contract. He is a proud man, and has a lot to prove in 2012. If he wants to be there in 2013, he will regain his 2010 form next season, and I think he is the logical choice for Captain in 2012.

We are trying to build a different culture at the MFC, and while Green may not have performed how a Captain should in many games in 2011, I think he will be better for the experience. He wouldn't be the first captain tha thad a shocker in his first year and made up for it in his 2nd.

I've been saying this for ages Dr.

My key points;

* Moloney, well, I'm just not sure. He loves the Club, bleeds red & blue, but I really do think going in to our window tha twe would be served better by one of the 2 above leading us. Becuase of his passion for the Club, it would be criminal to give him the job for 1 or 2 years, only to give it to JT or JG when they are ready (which I'm sure can be as of 2013).

* Jones (see Moloney).

Jones will only be 24 going into next season... hardly falls outside our window does he? And Moloney is at a perfect age (27) with both the experience and the motivation/drive... it's not hard to see what he would give to the captaincy given the way he applied himself following his off-field indiscretion.

Jones will only be 24 going into next season... hardly falls outside our window does he? And Moloney is at a perfect age (27) with both the experience and the motivation/drive... it's not hard to see what he would give to the captaincy given the way he applied himself following his off-field indiscretion.

The issue I have with Jones and Moloney is more based on some supporters view that the want Trengove or Grimes to be captain, sooner rather than later, but if it's not to be 2012, and the fact they don't want Green, then Moloney will be a good option. I'm asking, is Moloney a good option for 1 season until JT or JG have come on?

Edit - I didn't say Jones won't be in our window, I said that JG of JT look like they will be better Captains leading us through that phase.

Edited by billy2803

The issue I have with Jones and Moloney is more based on some supporters view that the want Trengove or Grimes to be captain, sooner rather than later, but if it's not to be 2012, and the fact they don't want Green, then Moloney will be a good option. I'm asking, is Moloney a good option for 1 season until JT or JG have come on?

Edit - I didn't say Jones won't be in our window, I said that JG of JT look like they will be better Captains leading us through that phase.

Fair enough... but I would argue that the captaincy is something that must be earned (performance/experience based) and it should not automatically be assumed that because a player was captain this year, he will carry the mantle again next year - as long as the players understand this, it shouldn't be an issue... and who knows, it may be just the carrot on a stick that some of the players need to lift their games?

Moloney and Jones have both been performing well consistently, Trengove is performing well, but is still lacking experience and Grimes, well, he hasn't really been performing at all due to not being able to take to the field.