• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Denham's problems with Melbourne

Redleg

If you think I'm the only one who rejects your assertion that Melbourne supporters are less passionate than those of other teams then you're kidding yourself.

I'll do a "you on yourself" now and take you literally like you love to take me.

So you reckon we are passionate as Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda; ever been to Perth for a west Coast game or to Adelaide for a Crows game? Do you actually go to games?

You're delusional, we fail to turn up for games if the temperature drops below 22 degrees or if the sun doesn't shine for at least an hour before the game.

I'll do a "you on yourself" now and take you literally like you love to take me.

So you reckon we are passionate as Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, St Kilda; ever been to Perth for a west Coast game or to Adelaide for a Crows game? Do you actually go to games?

You're delusional, we fail to turn up for games if the temperature drops below 22 degrees or if the sun doesn't shine for at least an hour before the game.

St kilda?

Games that immediately come to mind are Port at the G in 07, Freo and Brisbane at the G in 08.

All games where we were struggling, all close games all games with under 22,000. On each occasion you'd have thought there were 50 plus based purely on the noise.

Our fans are as passionate as any, we'd have to be to still rock up after all these years, we just don't have as many.

Yes, I think Melbourne supporters are just as passionate as supporters of other sporting teams, including other AFL Clubs. I thought I'd already made my views pretty clear.

And I made mine pretty clear; you're delusional.

Games that immediately come to mind are Port at the G in 07, Freo and Brisbane at the G in 08.

All games where we were struggling, all close games all games with under 22,000. On each occasion you'd have thought there were 50 plus based purely on the noise.

Our fans are as passionate as any, we'd have to be to still rock up after all these years, we just don't have as many.

The fans that turn up to the games are clearly passionate, where i sit those that turn up are just as passionate as most club's fans, it's the ones that don't turn up that worry me.

I'm in the Legends club which is fully sold out, but most weeks there would be less than 50% of the members there. I've seen home games that are pivotal to our season and we still get outnumbered by the opposition supporters. There have been times when I've been ashamed at the turn out and just shake my head wondering what it will take to get some of our supporters out of their homes in front of the TV to actually attending the game live.

Just two years we were in danger of losing the QB game and I really hoped that the supporters would get off their arse and get down to the G, but once again we fell short of making the AFL sit up and listen.

When you are sitting at the G watching a game against North or Freo or Adelaide and there are less than 20,000 there; don't you wonder where the rest of the supporters are? Don't you wonder what it will take to get them to a game?

I could not agree more RobbieF On average Dees supporters cannot hold a candle to the teams you listed.

Because a large percantage of people who come on Demonland are committed does not mean every MFC supporter is.

IMO we are in the bottom 50%.

Exactly right.

And I made mine pretty clear; you're delusional.

I restated my view only because you explicitly asked me what my view was, despite me having said it multiple times already.

You don't need to tell me what you think again because I don't have a problem comphrending you have a different view, an alternate reality where the supporters of other teams maintain as much interest when the weather's shocking or their team is struggling than they do when their team is flying and there's a great fixture to attend, all because they're so much more passionate than Melbourne's fans.

(Just don't let the facts get in the way of your story).

Exactly right.

Jesus it's like talking to a brick wall, don't you get it? It's the ones that don't turn up to the games that are the worry; they're the ones that are soft. Our supporter base drops off at a rapid rate when we lose and fail to turn up unless it's an important event like the QB game.

Go on to Footywire and see how our average attendances have been over the last 7 years and compare them with Collingwood Essendon Carlton and Richmond, they have held or increased there average attendance even when they were down whilst ours has dropped.

Us: 2005 7th 37k 2006 7th 37k 2008 14th 32k 2008 16th 30k 2009 28k 2010 36k 2011 33k

Essendon: 2005 13th 44k 2006 15th 42k 2007 12th 49k 2008 12th 47k 2009 49k 2010 45k 2011 51k

Colingwood is even worse and both Carlton and Richmond have had better attendance's despite in some of those years Carlton finishing last and Richmond having worse performances than us.

Got it now or do you need more detail?

Jesus it's like talking to a brick wall, don't you get it? It's the ones that don't turn up to the games that are the worry; they're the ones that are soft. Our supporter base drops off at a rapid rate when we lose and fail to turn up unless it's an important event like the QB game.

Go on to Footywire and see how our average attendances have been over the last 7 years and compare them with Collingwood Essendon Carlton and Richmond, they have held or increased there average attendance even when they were down whilst ours has dropped.

Us: 2005 7th 37k 2006 7th 37k 2008 14th 32k 2008 16th 30k 2009 28k 2010 36k 2011 33k

Essendon: 2005 13th 44k 2006 15th 42k 2007 12th 49k 2008 12th 47k 2009 49k 2010 45k 2011 51k

Colingwood is even worse and both Carlton and Richmond have had better attendance's despite in some of those years Carlton finishing last and Richmond having worse performances than us.

Got it now or do you need more detail?

i understand the strain of your answers RobbieF, my point is that the latest Board is being proactive in righting the situation...Victories on a sustained level will lift our profile no end...

It's the ones that don't turn up to the games that are the worry; they're the ones that are soft

We have fewer members and supporters than these other clubs, so our ones not turning up are softer than their's who don't turn up....? Btw, I'm a Legends member, and usually sit in the MCC section, so our seats would be empty. Come to think of it, for whatever reason the paid-up seats are empty, at least people were passionate enough to cough up a significant sum of money for them.

We have fewer members and supporters than these other clubs, so our ones not turning up are softer than their's who don't turn up....? Btw, I'm a Legends member, and usually sit in the MCC section, so our seats would be empty. Come to think of it, for whatever reason the paid-up seats are empty, at least people were passionate enough to cough up a significant sum of money for them.

So you must have been to the games where there are less than 20,000 in attendance? What's you take on that?

We have a game against say Freo at the G, we are having a reasonable year, we look like we can win the game and there are less than 20k there; doesn't that concern you? Don't you turn to your friends at the game and say, "gee it's a pretty poor turnout today"?

Look, I have 7 Legends memberships and usually there is me, my son and his son and that's it, I can't get all my kids to go, one lives in Townsville one doesn't really car about football, one will only go if it's a big game and Mrs Robbie doesn't go to the football. I know it happens but I get bitterly disappointed when I see empty stands and pathetic attendances. I invite some of the posters I've met through Demonology to go and they attend a few games but the only time all 7 seats are taken is on the QB or if they bring their kids along as well.

Actually didn't we meet at the QB game last year you have seats in front of me I was with Graeme Smith, Tilly and Robbie87.

Edited by RobbieF

i understand the strain of your answers RobbieF, my point is that the latest Board is being proactive in righting the situation...Victories on a sustained level will lift our profile no end...

I'm happier with the current set up than I have been for generations, they are pro active, they seem united and they are getting it all together but if you just let it slide it will do just that. We thought all was ok at the club this year until the [censored] hit the fan over the Bailey, CC and CS issues, you never know what's bubbling below the surface.

There have been a few games over the last year where the players and the supporters have been asked to get behind an ailing Jimmy and we have let him down badly in my opinion.

We have a game against say Freo at the G, we are having a reasonable year, we look like we can win the game and there are less than 20k there; doesn't that concern you?

I would certainly prefer to see more there. Just a couple of years ago, when Carlton were struggling, they only attracted about 16,000 against each of Port and Freo at the G. Not too much was made of that at the time. Yet they have a much bigger supporter base than we do. Collingwood's lean patch mid-decade brought attendances down.

Sustained success with some glamour players will bring us a wider supporter base, which will consist of new passionate ones and new soft ones. My hopes for this have been raised with the events post-season at the club.

Btw, I remember a million years ago as a schoolboy, where most of the class were Melbourne or Collingwood; some Essendon and Hawthorn (school was in that area, success was not a lure for them then). While my class-mates may have not jumped off, or may have just "cooled off" their support, their kids would have jumped into Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton etc. A demographic hole built on years of MFC sub-mediocrity.

Round 16, 2004

What a bunch of fairweather supporters.

Rogue is 100% right. We have less supporters overall. Hence lower crowds. Melbourne has the highest supporter/member conversion rate of all AFL clubs which actually indicates that, across the whole supporter base, we are the most passionate club.

They've had to be passionate to stick through the long periods of poor performance.

Unfortunately that means that many of those supporters also come with the baggage that long periods of poor performance bring. Hence the reason why younger supporters often find the older supporters to be out of touch with current reality, and older supporters find younger supporters to be overly optimistic.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-boys-club-will-rue-bailey-sacking-20110804-1idk5.html

Here's another Melbourne hater - Robert Walls - reckons we will have 5 years of regret for sacking Bailey ! 5 Years ! Not even 5 minutes for me esp with how Mark Neeld has hit the ground running !

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-boys-club-will-rue-bailey-sacking-20110804-1idk5.html Here's another Melbourne hater - Robert Walls - reckons we will have 5 years of regret for sacking Bailey ! 5 Years ! Not even 5 minutes for me esp with how Mark Neeld has hit the ground running !

That article is just so wrong & out of touch!!! Almost humour....

People like Walls like the MFC to be down and toothless, so his beloved Carlscum can stand over us and cheat openly...

I wonder what he thinks of that article now??? Things have certainly moved on since August 5.

Old Fool.

People like Walls like the MFC to be down and toothless, so his beloved Carlscum can stand over us and cheat openly...

I wonder what he thinks of that article now??? Things have certainly moved on since August 5.

Old Fool.

Yeah , it always amazes me how some people can get away with ridiculous "big statements" . However , some of us have long memories ! I still haven't forgotten Quartermain calling Melbourne a rabble in the early 2000's .

Yeah , it always amazes me how some people can get away with ridiculous "big statements" . However , some of us have long memories ! I still haven't forgotten Quartermain calling Melbourne a rabble in the early 2000's .

Back to the topic with Mr Denham's positive prediction re us in 2007; also at start of 2007 Caro had us playing off for the GF that year. Unfortunately, we ended up only being the runners-up in the MK Cup (M. Kreuzer).

And please don't start on Caro, she's a good journo....

I'd love to wipe that smug look off Quartermains face, you'd think he actually has something to do with Hwthorn when there up, and it will go but probably not for a couple of years

Old Fool.

Walls is a [censored], changes his opinions weekly

why does anyone give a stuff what these guys say or write? Id never heard of greg denham till this week. journos make their living from opinion. Melbourne supporters are a wee biut sensitive. theres only one way to throw it all back in these journos faces and that process started a few weeks ago. Cant wait for season 2012!!

Interesting Tweet from Ashley Browne:

Good to see the passion from Dees fans. Wonder what Denham thinks of that. You have to expect a reaction when you say a club "stands for nothing" and that you " don't like the way they do business". What would would he have thought would have happened had he said it about Pies, Dons, Hawks or Bombers. All part of changing the culture of a club, don't take crap.

Not sure what the point of the twitter response in support of Denham was all about. It's like saying bill shorten is a good bloke because he talks to a lot of people on the phone...

The criticism of Denham is b/c he acts like a jerk and people get sick of big pronouncements with regular errors (in the media that is). Who gives two hoots if he knows how to use a phone?