Denham's problems with Melbourne

Redleg

But that's the whole point Robbie F. Denham does not acknowledge that we have achieved anything in the last 4 years....

No one is disputing how far we still have to go.

And all this coming from a Wet Coke Supporter.....I can see why Demon supporters want to Deck him....i sure did this morning.!!

I don't like Denham and I've heard him stomp on people that dare to question him, the guy's a [censored], but it's not just him saying these things it's common place. We took a big backward step this year and most of what we had done and most of the respect we had gained in the last 4 years sort of disappeared.

I hate Brian Taylor and Jason Dunstall they both treat us with disdain every but what they say is generally on the money.

i've mostly enjoyed the ride , being consistently competitive means more to me than winning an occasional flag.

I must have nodded off at some point. When were these occasional flags we might have won ? Thats right , there werent any, but weve been consistently competitive. Hang on, no we havent.

Probably explains why many of us are a touch fed up with the last 47 seasons, just maybe.

As rides go Ive had better in a 3 wheeled Morris Marina !

I don't like Denham and I've heard him stomp on people that dare to question him, the guy's a [censored], but it's not just him saying these things it's common place. We took a big backward step this year and most of what we had done and most of the respect we had gained in the last 4 years sort of disappeared. I hate Brian Taylor and Jason Dunstall they both treat us with disdain every but what they say is generally on the money.

But when do these righteous pricks ever give the club and supporters kudos for clearing a debt??

on field we are still on training wheels yes, but off field we have made massive gains thus far, that must continue...but we are still called passionless supporters of a directionless club that stands for nothing..Denhams club would have been a good back drop for "Breaking Bad" a few years back, but that isn't mentioned is it!!!!!

But when do these righteous pricks ever give the club and supporters kudos for clearing a debt??

on field we are still on training wheels yes, but off field we have made massive gains thus far, that must continue...but we are still called passionless supporters of a directionless club that stands for nothing..Denhams club would have been a good back drop for "Breaking Bad" a few years back, but that isn't mentioned is it!!!!!

The majority of posters on here are quite passionate about the club so we get fooled at times in to thinking we have all passionate supporters when the truth is we don't. I guess you can only have a passion for so long and a lot of our supporters are getting sick of our continued failure I'm not one of them I might add. Have a look at our atrendances and how they drop off during the year even the QB match was in danger a couple of years ago because the numbers weren't there.

We will only gain respect if we start to perform it all depends on that, one thing follows another, and we have to break the stereotype image we have. We weren't like that in the 50's and early 60's we were formidable but somewhere along the way we've been hijacked and turned in to a bunch of whimps.

You can't convince kids to follow us as long as we are just going to make up the numbers I have trouble getting my own to the footy these days I guess they have just had enough of the failure and excuses.

It's no good us just bitching about the media we have to make them look foolish by deeds not hollow threats of turning their show off.

The majority of posters on here are quite passionate about the club so we get fooled at times in to thinking we have all passionate supporters when the truth is we don't. I guess you can only have a passion for so long and a lot of our supporters are getting sick of our continued failure I'm not one of them I might add. Have a look at our atrendances and how they drop off during the year even the QB match was in danger a couple of years ago because the numbers weren't there.

We will only gain respect if we start to perform it all depends on that, one thing follows another, and we have to break the stereotype image we have. We weren't like that in the 50's and early 60's we were formidable but somewhere along the way we've been hijacked and turned in to a bunch of whimps.

You can't convince kids to follow us as long as we are just going to make up the numbers I have trouble getting my own to the footy these days I guess they have just had enough of the failure and excuses.

It's no good us just bitching about the media we have to make them look foolish by deeds not hollow threats of turning their show off.

No since Jimmy has been on board i don't buy that....our supporters have been bloody good, and do not get any kudos from Denham types...They will keep.

Here's the solution then -

1 - Neeld turns out to be a top line Coach

2 - With our talented list he takes us to the Finals - in 2012

3 - The Melbourne knockers will shut the xxxx up !

4 - We puff out our chest again !

I must have nodded off at some point. When were these occasional flags we might have won ? Thats right , there werent any, but weve been consistently competitive. Hang on, no we havent.

Probably explains why many of us are a touch fed up with the last 47 seasons, just maybe.

As rides go Ive had better in a 3 wheeled Morris Marina !

Gee , I must have imagined all those years when the likes of Jimma , Lyon , Neita, Stinga , Schwarta , Toddy etc played hard consistent football and we were in with a chance every week.

• Like 1

Gee , I must have imagined all those years when the likes of Jimma , Lyon , Neita, Stinga , Schwarta , Toddy etc played hard consistent football and we were in with a chance every week.

No..you didnt ..but in the grand scheme of things its was a blink. ..Its been a long while since Jimma and Gaz took to the field !!

Weve been whipping it up a frenzy since then for sure :wacko:

You are aware its actually 2011 there Rip ?

No since Jimmy has been on board i don't buy that....our supporters have been bloody good, and do not get any kudos from Denham types...They will keep.

Agreed.

There are far too many occasions where journalists within the sport just ride the wave of common perception.

No..you didnt ..but in the grand scheme of things its was a blink. ..Its been a long while since Jimma and Gaz took to the field !!

Weve been whipping it up a frenzy since then for sure :wacko:

You are aware its actually 2011 there Rip ?

Almost 2012 BB

Over the last 5 years we have not exactly been covering ourselves in glory.

That is half a decade of being in the bottom 25%.

It seems to escape a lot of people that we have been poor for quite some time now.

Almost 2012 BB

Over the last 5 years we have not exactly been covering ourselves in glory.

That is half a decade of being in the bottom 25%.

It seems to escape a lot of people that we have been poor for quite some time now.

Not me, as I trudge home after every loss. Also my last ever visit to Skilled Stadium was 186 and I saw every second of it and half the reserves as well, which was nearly as bad.

Big deal. What other sporting organisations don't face the same lack of memberships/attendances when they're struggling? Most, if not all, have a positive correlation between success and supporter interest and we're the same.

Maybe i am easily pleased , but bar the last 5 awful years, I have loved the Northey + era despite the dips along the way. Our 2 Grand Final losses were against post war sides of legendary quality. I have no doubt we could have knocked over the pretty average 1990 Collingwood premiership side. What about our demolition in the finals of eventual premier, Adelaide and then having to travel west where the Eagles had a cattery-like record. And then there was the great fun of the Allen Jacovich experience........i've mostly enjoyed the ride , being consistently competitive means more to me than winning an occasional flag.

I put up with 08 and 09 because of the lure of a flag due to the talent accumulated.

I hate finishing 6th and not having a chance of winning the whole thing.

You are easily pleased.

Big deal. What other sporting organisations don't face the same lack of memberships/attendances when they're struggling? Most, if not all, have a positive correlation between success and supporter interest and we're the same.

It is a big deal when you have been struggling for 47 years. You can face up to it and try to change things like we now are or just bury your head in the sand.

It is a big deal when you have been struggling for 47 years. You can face up to it and try to change things like we now are or just bury your head in the sand.

Being a realist about the nature of fan support isn't burying my head in the sand.

However, it is a refusal to buy into the fallacy that because attendance figures drop off when the team is struggling it means anything else other than the fact Melbourne's supporters are like the fans of most (all?) other sporting organisations.

By the way, in contrary to your negative thesis about Melbourne supporters I'd point to the consecutive years of record-breaking membership figures.

PS. It has nothing to do with '47 years'; Essendon won a flag in 2000 and had fans dropping like flies recently because they were struggling.

Being a realist about the nature of fan support isn't burying my head in the sand.

However, it is a refusal to buy into the fallacy that because attendance figures drop off when the team is struggling it means anything else other than the fact Melbourne's supporters are like the fans of most (all?) other sporting organisations.

By the way, in contrary to your negative thesis about Melbourne supporters I'd point to the consecutive years of record-breaking membership figures.

PS. It has nothing to do with '47 years'; Essendon won a flag in 2000 and had fans dropping like flies recently because they were struggling.

MFC has great loyal supporters, there is a high supporter to member conversion, and yes building a supporter base through a very difficult time in the last 3 to 4 years has been remarkable.

Being a realist about the nature of fan support isn't burying my head in the sand. However, it is a refusal to buy into the fallacy that because attendance figures drop off when the team is struggling it means anything else other than the fact Melbourne's supporters are like the fans of most (all?) other sporting organisations. By the way, in contrary to your negative thesis about Melbourne supporters I'd point to the consecutive years of record-breaking membership figures. PS. It has nothing to do with '47 years'; Essendon won a flag in 2000 and had fans dropping like flies recently because they were struggling.

This is not about memberships it's about how many go to the games. If you don't think it's got anything to do with 47 years without success then we are on different planets. There has been a huge erosion of our supporter base over that time; I know how big our supporter base was back then because I was there. We had as many as Collingwood and whilst they've gone ahead we've gone backwards.

I know we are increasing our membership now but it's not just members it's supporters, they have so many more than us now it's a joke.

I cannot believe how sensitive some of you people are and how unwilling you are to accept the reality of the situation. We have been unable to win a flag in the last 47 years and as a result we have lost a lot of our supporter base; as well as that we haven't attracted as many new supporters; that's a fact.

Not only that, we as a club actually voted to merge the club out of existence and no other club's supporters will ever let us forget that.

The club has been seen as soft the supporters have been seen as soft and it's probably not far from the truth.

This is not about memberships it's about how many go to the games. If you don't think it's got anything to do with 47 years without success then we are on different planets. There has been a huge erosion of our supporter base over that time; I know how big our supporter base was back then because I was there. We had as many as Collingwood and whilst they've gone ahead we've gone backwards.

I know we are increasing our membership now but it's not just members it's supporters, they have so many more than us now it's a joke.

I cannot believe how sensitive some of you people are and how unwilling you are to accept the reality of the situation. We have been unable to win a flag in the last 47 years and as a result we have lost a lot of our supporter base; as well as that we haven't attracted as many new supporters; that's a fact.

Not only that, we as a club actually voted to merge the club out of existence and no other club's supporters will ever let us forget that.

The club has been seen as soft the supporters have been seen as soft and it's probably not far from the truth.

It wasn't the rank and file members who voted to merge the Club out of existence - it was the 12 Committee members with their thousands of proxy votes - we were railroaded by Ridley and his pathetic "Give up" Committee - just setting the record straight !

I cannot believe how sensitive some of you people are and how unwilling you are to accept the reality of the situation.

You're now arguing a different point to the one I responded to. I never suggested that we don't have a smaller supporter base than [some] other teams; this is something we can agree is fact.

What I disagreed with was the assertion that we don't have as passionate supporters as other teams do, and that somehow attendances dropping off when the team is struggling is proof of that.

It wasn't the rank and file members who voted to merge the Club out of existence - it was the 12 Committee members with their thousands of proxy votes - we were railroaded by Ridley and his pathetic "Give up" Committee - just setting the record straight !

I know that but you try to explain that to the rest of the football world, they just don't believe it. I've had many arguments over this but at the end of the day the vote was there and you can't refute that.

I recall the anger at the Dallas Brooks Hall on the night and the shocked look on Tiger's face when the abuse started. That was passion.

Simple fact is that we convert more supporters to members than any other AFL club and have seen membership surge to record levels the last 3 years. There are therefore a lot of people other than Denham who know what this club stands for and are happy to be involved. So probably the best thing to say to Denham is who the hell are you, what do you stand for, nothing, so rack off.

You're now arguing a different point to the one I responded to. I never suggested that we don't have a smaller supporter base than [some] other teams; this is something we can agree is fact.

What I disagreed with was the assertion that we don't have as passionate supporters as other teams do, and that somehow attendances dropping off when the team is struggling is proof of that.

I was talking about supporters you brought up Memberships.

I was talking about supporters you brought up Memberships.

Supporters buy memberships.

Anyway, you suggested we have less passionate supporters than other Clubs, and asserted that attendance dropping off when we struggle was evidence of this.

I called you out on the fallacy that this doesn't happen to most (all?) other sporting organisations and maintain your assertion about Melbourne's supporters is wrong.