Tim Harrington's cautious approach to the mini-draft

Supreme_Demon

As in our recruiting network? Guys who work full time to be able to value the worth of prospective footballers? Yes I believe they have a pretty good idea of what those picks are worth.

As opposed the all of us ignoramuses, who may have seen a game or two of under 18 footy this year but are really just throwing darts blindfolded.

This is it. Many are looking at this year/trade etc in isolation. The FD will be dealing with it as an ongoing project.

I was very keen on O'meara, but very wary of a spiralling inflation effect as different clubs jostled for him.

Basically, to beat Gold Coast we would've had to give value better than 'pick 4 plus extras'. If we have that much to offer, why not just trade for pick 2 and get Coniglio or Patton this draft?

We have to nominate when we are to use the picks, if we wish to, before the season.

So if we wish to use the picks in 2012 then we must say we are to use them in a few months time.

I wonder if we can trade those comp picks in October 2012 before Nov 2012 draft. Anyone got an answer?

Yes, we can.

Nothing stopping us.

some good points being made here...

I agree we should have had a get out point.

I also agree that it may have been set a bit low.

If omeara is as good as is being made out and is a player with x factor that can really impact a game...the star quality we crave then I would have paid the pick 12 and a compo pick without asking for a top 25 in return. It's not every day a top 5 draft pick (if that's where he is rated) gets traded.

It was only a couple of years ago we turned down picks 8 & 9 for out pick 2. It would seem on that basis that 12 and one of our compo picks for a top 5 picks would be good value and only made possible by virtue of the rule that says GWS can't keep him (although they did try...which also tells you something).

In saying that I also agree that the posters here on demonland don't know enough of the variables...just how good is the 2012 draft...just how good is omeara...etc.

On the surface though it would have been good to get another elite talent to do a program with viney next year and have them both ready to roll I'm 2013 having a year in the system and learning our game plan.

The point is well made that we need more elite talent not more foot soldiers...and viney, omeara, JT, mckenzie, gys looks like the right mix for a priemiership midfield to me...

Edited by s-t-i-n-g-a

I heard Colin Young (O'mearas manager) being interviewed tonight about Jaegar being picked up by Gold Coast, the kid has hit heart set on becoming a Docker but realised on Monday night it probably wasn't going to happen. There was some further discussion that had Port finished last they may have been able to get a try for him and something may have been able to be done with West Coast & Ebert.

After saying all that Young said but now Jaegar is happy going to Gold Coast and getting into the AFL. Afte hearing this and having already been burnt by 1 Top Pick I am actually glad we didn't give away everything to get him, there will be money thrown at him by both WA clubs to come home if he proves to be as good as they say

Imagine if we actually got one of those picks. RobbieF's response is either:

a- we overpaid (after getting O'Meara)

b- we got the dud one (after getting Crouch).

You're stuck in the 70s when we sucked, RF. And you want to be there.

I was having similar thoughts - imagine had we paid the world for O'Meara, then suddenly in a couple of years when GWS were dying bloody Vlad changes the rules yet again and allows them to go on a poaching spree, and he ends up there with $cully.

Then the pundits who only see darkness would be saying - "yet another squandered first pick"!

You just can't please some folk.

I have to admit that I havent read the whole thread so this may be covered.

I dont see the obssession on here about the quick fix (in regards to the mini draft). I really think Tim H should hold onto those picks we recived from Scully and use them next year or so. From all reports the next year draft is looking to be a great one and to have 3 picks in the first round (one being Viney) would put us in a very strong postition. The other option is our trading capability will increase next year without the GWS having all the cards and other clubs salivating on the fresh bunch of kids.

Every years there is a new Judd, Hird, Buckley etc. lets us be patient and play our aces when they count.

Go dees

I heard Colin Young (O'mearas manager) being interviewed tonight about Jaegar being picked up by Gold Coast, the kid has hit heart set on becoming a Docker but realised on Monday night it probably wasn't going to happen. There was some further discussion that had Port finished last they may have been able to get a try for him and something may have been able to be done with West Coast & Ebert.

After saying all that Young said but now Jaegar is happy going to Gold Coast and getting into the AFL. Afte hearing this and having already been burnt by 1 Top Pick I am actually glad we didn't give away everything to get him, there will be money thrown at him by both WA clubs to come home if he proves to be as good as they say

The comment does have a certain Nathan Buckley ,TFS, feel to it.

I was having similar thoughts - imagine had we paid the world for O'Meara, then suddenly in a couple of years when GWS were dying bloody Vlad changes the rules yet again and allows them to go on a poaching spree, and he ends up there with $cully. Then the pundits who only see darkness would be saying - "yet another squandered first pick"! You just can't please some folk.

I take it you're one of those conspiracy theorists?

Imagine this,imagine that, imagine anything, do you every imagine we have a first class midfield and it helps us win a flag? Or is that beyond your imagination?

If omeara is as good as is being made out and is a player with x factor that can really impact a game...the star quality we crave then I would have paid the pick 12 and a compo pick without asking for a top 25 in return.

GC offered pick 4 plus a compo pick ... and Adelaide offered pick 10 plus a compo pick (taken after their first pick, so presumably, a better pick than what we could offer). On both counts we lose out. Only possible way to win here, without getting into giving draft plus TWO compos, would have been if they'd wanted a player - Warnock for example.

Which they didn't.

Starting to feel that the GWS strategy is to finish at the bottom of the ladder for a couple of seasons, to make sure they can keep on getting the best picks. Tanking anyone?

GC offered pick 4 plus a compo pick ... and Adelaide offered pick 10 plus a compo pick (taken after their first pick, so presumably, a better pick than what we could offer). On both counts we lose out. Only possible way to win here, without getting into giving draft plus TWO compos, would have been if they'd wanted a player - Warnock for example.

Which they didn't.

Starting to feel that the GWS strategy is to finish at the bottom of the ladder for a couple of seasons, to make sure they can keep on getting the best picks. Tanking anyone?

Not strictly correct Bing.

Adelaide and GC received picks in return.

If we were willing to receive less in return, we trump them.

As in our recruiting network? Guys who work full time to be able to value the worth of prospective footballers? Yes I believe they have a pretty good idea of what those picks are worth.

As opposed the all of us ignoramuses, who may have seen a game or two of under 18 footy this year but are really just throwing darts blindfolded.

Bob no disagreement that the guys in charge have all the info and should know what they are doing. My point is only that here we have the person they know whereas next year it is a guess as to who will be there at their picks. If it goes pear shaped it would be very disappointing. On the other hand they may pull off a coup getting 2 very good players and we will say in a couple of years how smart they were. Most of this hysteria is on the back of our big hope being pinched, something that has not happened to others, a first pick in the ND and our PP to boot. To not use what we got well would be extremely disappointing to all Dees fans.I do trust them and hope they are smarter than many give them credit for. It has been an unpleasnat chapter for all of us and the thought of 1 of these two boys coming to us would have lifted spirits immediately with anticiaption. Now it looks as though we go through next season and hope we get it right. You will agree with me that if we end up with say 2 Luke Molans it would be an unmitigated disaster for us. Anyway lets see what we can do in the next few days. The problem with all of this is we are all too passionate about our club and hurt at any bad news or failure on and off the field.

There is always positive side. Pick 12 isn't a bad one to keep if used correctly.

A few past pick 12s.

Jonesy, Chip, Cyril.

If we're able to pick up another player that is similar to any of those, its not bad...

O'meara might be a gun. But as is any draft...you never know.

Those drafts weren't compromised. Pick 12 in this draft is really more like 20 ish given the 17 year olds GWS took last year.

O'Meara + 31 for ND4 + Compo pick

It's debatable whether ND12 + 2 Compo picks beats ND4 + Compo pick

They only clear way we trump GC is to give 12 + 2 Compo picks clean

It's a steep price, Bob said he'd do it, but he's the only one so far.

Crouch + Luke Brown (rated top 30) for 10 + Compo Pick

The only clear way we beat this is 12 + Compo pick clean

Looks like we just don't rate Crouch that highly.

Please don't bother to suggest smaller sweeteners than 31 or Brown - later than that we're into chump change picks we might not even use. And please don't insult everyone's intelligence by suggesting we bundle Bate, Warnock or Maric into the deal to get it over the line - GWS made it clear they weren't interested in even good players.

Crouch + Luke Brown (rated top 30) for 10 + Compo Pick

The only clear way we beat this is 12 + Compo pick clean

Looks like we just don't rate Crouch that highly.

I guess that is the case.

I would have looked at that though. Two teen ND picks to replace the bloke who got us two teen ND picks...

I would have looked at that though. Two teen ND picks to replace the bloke who got us two teen ND picks...

Me too in theory - I'd give 2 picks for a genuine "top 5" without hesitation,

I do get shaky on the 3 picks for O'Meara

• Like 1

Me too in theory - I'd give 2 picks for a genuine "top 5" without hesitation,

I do get shaky on the 3 picks for O'Meara

I just get the impression that we are trying to get two players with the picks we got for losing he-who-must-not-be-named.

A Clark-type and a star young mid. And try to stay relevant in this years draft.

And I think we are trying to stretch too little, too far with that.

But we will see...

• Like 1

I'd look at it too.

If Adelaide are tossing up between Crouch and Kennedy, I would try and make the decision a little easier for them. Just not sure whether GWS would want to have used 3 MD picks up this year.

Just as an aside why would ppl presume we have no idea as to whats possibly on the radar next year.

Recruiters and spies are looking at more than the 17 and 18 yos..they also look at the other under agers ..the 16 yo olds and the mature boys as well..

Given the nature of how picks transcend drafts and its not any one year in isolation anymore I think the clubs playing a fairly effective bat.

So much of this seems like an esteem problem of sorts. Some just want to be able to say , yep we got one too . We got one of those kids.. hey ,shhh, we paid a little bit too much , snigger -snigger b ut we got 'im !!

So true.

'Yay, we have a house'.