Cale Morton is a midfielder, neeld is playing him as a midfielder, not a loose defender, tagged, forward flank, he is thriving when playing his role, I remember talking to him last year and he told me he thought that he would Be more valuable playing a midfield role and obviously he is! He knows how to get to the right spots and can use it well

It's an example of what happens when you play players where they're most comfortable.
  • Like 2

If you have a look at the guys who have improved a lot playing this new style, it is actually the guys who can run. Morton, Jones, Bate, McDonald, Howe .... these guys are good runners and they have done vry well. Grimes, too, has done well in the midfield.

Morton played VFL games at the end of last year in the midfield where he played like this. It has always been in him, but it's pleasing to see it start to come together.

• Like 2

I'm liking Cale's new physicality. He will never be big and will always have skinny arms but what has impressed me recently is his willingness for the contest. He is listed at 87kg which incidently, is the same weight as Moloney. Yes, I know that he is 4 inches taller than Moloney, but 87kgs is a fair mass to stop when it is running at you, skinny arms or not. I expect that Cale has developed a pretty strong core because, unlike Jack Watts atm, Cale usually maintains his footing. My biggest worry is still his kicking under pressure, and I have stated many times before, he has a flawed kicking action with a very iffy ball-drop (no peurile comments please). It requires him to be very balanced and when in traffic this is difficult. However, I have been very encouraged by his recent form.

• Like 1

Cale Morton has never been and never will be an AFL level footballer.

Yes we will probably get some more improvement out of him if we hold onto him for most of his career, but he will never live up to the player people were going on and on about on this forum.

What next ???

Guest José Mourinho

What next ???

Based on this trajectory, I'm going to predict:

Cale Morton will never be a dominant force in the AFL.

Cale Morton for prime minister.

Guest José Mourinho

Will be our Goddard in a year or two

Nothing like getting ahead of yourself as a dees supporter...

• Like 1

From where I sat I saw Morton pick up some cheap stats but nothing I saw gave me any more confidence that he's going to be worthy of a place in our team.

No, he doesn't have the ability to get the ball. He has the ability to be where the ball is sometimes but that's about it. He's a dud. It's an embarrassment that he wears our jumper. Do I sound angry? That's what happens when I sit and watch insipid footballers.

I said some time ago that opposition players must just love it when Morton goes to them. They know the handshake is about as close as he's going to get all day. They know he's not going to to hurt them physically or on the scoreboard. From what I've witnessed in recent times Cale Morton cannot survive at this level. He might be okay in an elite team where team-mates have the skills to feed him out wide where he can use his run but in this team he needs to be able to get his own ball.

Could I be proven wrong? Geez, I hope so.

Gulp, chomp, chew, swallow, gasp, cough, etc. Could this be the sound of me eating my own words? Morton actually looked like a player on Saturday. Not a match-winner but more like someone who might just be responding to Neeld and co's coaching. If the improvement continues I might just enjoy the meal.

• Like 2

I agree, Cale is showing some early signs of having turned the corner under Neeld's tutelage. It will be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season ......... hopefully it is not just a 'flash in the pan'. Recent reports from Casey suggest that JB might also be starting to 'get it'. Hopefully JW will also. Fingers crossed for all of them, because they all have the sort of talent that our team craves.

• Like 1

this thread is giving me heart flutters. nawwww, look at you all, sharing the love.

I have enjoyed seeing Morton give it a go. I have the feeling he has instructions to be the guy to receive a quick release from a hardball get. I've seen him a few times hovering near packs on the ground, but not getting in there, and first thought obviously was, softie, get yourself in there, but then I noticed that he was always glancing up the field, as if he was checking what he was going to kick to when the ball came out. I reckon that's his instruction as our 'outside' player

Next trick Neeldy: teach him to tackle.

He's beginning to feign in traffic, that's right feign in traffic. Last player to do that was one T.Johnstone! Cale has improved as said in his weaker areas and is getting the ball on more occasions in the pack than most. If his skills+decision making improve then this kid could have turned the corner completely. He's surprised me as well as many others so far, as long as he keeps it up. And yes I now believe it, Cale Morton is winning contested possessions and tackling well!

Ha ha! it's true! I remember Anthony McDonald was a natural in traffic too.... couldn't be tackled! Those players have been few and far between for us since those days.

Good on Cale, he looks like he has more desire than most of our blokes.

Ha ha! it's true! I remember Anthony McDonald was a natural in traffic too.... couldn't be tackled! Those players have been few and far between for us since those days.

Good on Cale, he looks like he has more desire than most of our blokes.

After reading that I now have faith that everything must go full circle.Never expected to read a sentence like that last one .

this thread is giving me heart flutters. nawwww, look at you all, sharing the love.

I have enjoyed seeing Morton give it a go. I have the feeling he has instructions to be the guy to receive a quick release from a hardball get. I've seen him a few times hovering near packs on the ground, but not getting in there, and first thought obviously was, softie, get yourself in there, but then I noticed that he was always glancing up the field, as if he was checking what he was going to kick to when the ball came out. I reckon that's his instruction as our 'outside' player

• Like 1

He laid some great tackles against the Saints, and a few on the weekend. I would think there would be a few in line ahead of Cale who need to learn to tackle.

Not an issue going by the past few weeks. I'd go as far as saying he's been one of the best tacklers in the team recently. He's one of the few that's stuck the tackle and forced a stoppage. Previously he wouldn't go as heart and have an arm swatted away. Hopefully he keeps it up and turns into the player we hoped. His first year is still one of the best ever by a Demon in the last 30 years or so.

He is actually ranked equal 8th for average tackles per game in our team......

James Magner is 2nd on our list and has only 1 tackle per game more then Morton.

Edited by Dan Fantastik

Some pretty interesting quotes about the changes at the club and previous levels of professionalism.

Cale is a good bloke who is smarter than the average bear both on and off the field. I still believe he could be a weapon for us. He would be a star at west coast already.

Morton = DUD!

Sorry guys...the Brother at Syd a dud also.

We got shafted at the trade table end of story.