The Brendon Goddard Thread

mrtwister

I don't think Goddard is who we need.

IMO, if we were to go spend Big with our picks, we'd have to go after a Gun who is still youthfull like a O'Meara or Gaff.

IF I was to go after a senior Big AFL name player I'd go after someone like Sam Mitchell or Pendlebury who has been at a successful club & team.

Goddard while I like him as a player, he's an in betweener. He doesn't solve any one area. He's just good, & a Leader. Not enough for the cost.

Goddard while I like him as a player, he's an in betweener. He doesn't solve any one area. He's just good, & a Leader. Not enough for the cost.

Can't agree with that. Goddard is a proven star. Can play FB, CHB, HB, midfield, CHF, HF or FF. And he does most, if not all of those, at a high level.

He's a star, and if he is available, he is the exact kind of A-grade leader this club is crying out for.

• Like 2

Can't agree with that. Goddard is a proven star. Can play FB, CHB, HB, midfield, CHF, HF or FF. And he does most, if not all of those, at a high level.

He's a star, and if he is available, he is the exact kind of A-grade leader this club is crying out for.

OK we'll disagree on this one.

I don't think Goddard is who we need.

IMO, if we were to go spend Big with our picks, we'd have to go after a Gun who is still youthfull like a O'Meara or Gaff.

IF I was to go after a senior Big AFL name player I'd go after someone like Sam Mitchell or Pendlebury who has been at a successful club & team.

Maybe you've got too used to Dunn. The player who does everything, but nothing all that well. Goddard is A-grade where ever he needs to be. Try ignore the first half of this season. If we got him, Happy days. but doubt it highly still.

• Like 1

Maybe you've got too used to Dunn. The player who does everything, but nothing all that well. Goddard is A-grade where ever he needs to be. Try ignore the first half of this season. If we got him, Happy days. but doubt it highly still.

No. don't misunderstand, I think Goddard is great.

But isn't our best buy.

We need way more than what Goddard will bring.

So IMO, we should get young guns, plus a Sewell or such. We are further away than some think, list wise. Goddard will NOT top off our needs.

We need Genuine Big Mids, not sometime Mid, sometime forward, Sometime back.

I call impossible - Goddard is in contract and what have they got to offer that they'd give up? Kane Lucas and pick 25 (or whatever they've got) is not going to do it.

If Goddard went to GWS next year the Saints would get band 1 compo = 2 x 1st rounders - that's the minimum starting position.

Well, McLean was on pretty good coin, so that would be part of it (maybe half?).

McLean on what $350K? How are they going to realise any of that - he's contracted next year and no-one will touch him unless the Blues give him away and pay his salary?

Godadrd would want $800K+ to move.

I dont know why u even bother wasteing your time writing that!! if you dont want to read it u dont have 2!!

Why is it a waste of time to point out that the originator of said rumour is proven to be less informed than the average BigFooty poster?

If you don't like your threads to be criticised - think twice before creating one.

And there is a Rumours Thread for a reason...

McLean on what $350K? How are they going to realise any of that - he's contracted next year and no-one will touch him unless the Blues give him away and pay his salary?

Thought McLean was out of contract this year.

Goddard would be a nice pick-up but hard to see it happening. Of the others mentioned by the OP, the only one I would like to see us make a play for would be Ray.

Why is it a waste of time to point out that the originator of said rumour is proven to be less informed than the average BigFooty poster?

If you don't like your threads to be criticised - think twice before creating one.

And there is a Rumours Thread for a reason...

Because in my post i said "I know alot of ppl dont believe much written on this news site" so i dont i think we need compasrissons on how reliable this site is!!

How bout we just comment on the topic which was "Goddard to carlton".

Btw i have no problem with ppl critcising my threads, but i wouldnt necessarilly say that is crticising my thread!!

Edited by TRENERS #9

Exactly. This has to be a rumour there is not a chance in hell that Carlton can fit half of Goddard's salary under their cap. They would have to release one of their top six players to do it. Ouch!!

Thought McLean was out of contract this year.

He is contracted at Northern Bullants, er Carlton for 2012. God bless them for taking him.

• Like 1

Exactly. This has to be a rumour there is not a chance in hell that Carlton can fit half of Goddard's salary under their cap. They would have to release one of their top six players to do it. Ouch!!

He is contracted at Northern Bullants, er Carlton for 2012. God bless them for taking him.

On SEN today they said Mclean was on $400 000. x 3 years = $1.2 million.

I reckon I would play for the Bullants for that!

You have to say that the Blues did their dough on this one.

Just for once we did them over.

YES!

Edited by old dee

If you were Goddard why would you come to the MFC.

At his age I would have thought that you would be looking to achieve one of two things.

I chance at playing in a premiership or maximise your earnings.

He will get neither at the Dees.

At the blues he has a chance at a flag and GWS will pay way more than us.

Of course he might get both at Freo

and he knows the bloke there.

If you were Goddard why would you come to the MFC.

At his age I would have thought that you would be looking to achieve one of two things.

I chance at playing in a premiership or maximise your earnings.

He will get neither at the Dees.

At the blues he has a chance at a flag and GWS will pay way more than us.

Of course he might get both at Freo

and he knows the bloke there.

Would he be the highest paid player at St.Kilda ? No.

Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo would all be earning more IMO. But he'd be up there near the pointy end of the pay scale.

Would he if a move to Carlton ? No.

Freo ? No.

GWS ? WHo bl**dy knows with the AFL behind them.

I can't really answer your first line of thought in your post. However highest paid and Captaincy would be a fair decent carrot.

Would he be the highest paid player at St.Kilda ? No.

Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo would all be earning more IMO. But he'd be up there near the pointy end of the pay scale.

Would he if a move to Carlton ? No.

Freo ? No.

GWS ? WHo bl**dy knows with the AFL behind them.

I can't really answer your first line of thought in your post. However highest paid and Captaincy would be a fair decent carrot.

What I think I was suggesting was the MFC could not offer him a high salary or the opertunity to play in GF in the next few years.

GWS would trump us on salary and a number of other side could give him the chance at a flag.

I wouldnt object to Goddard but I would want him to want to come, not just because Carlton can't afford him and we could.

As for how they would pay, well thats a different kettle of fish altogether!

They cant do any deals as we were warned about that when we contemplated 3rd Party deals to keep Scully. If the AFL looked the other way and allowed him to be employed by one of their "companies" eg Visy or Mars then I think a few clubs besides us woudl be up in arms. Geelong were warned off when they sought to keep Ablett too so I expect they would be very curious to find out how the Cheats could manage it.

I dont think we will get any big names this year but of course I could be proven wrong and would gladly suck it up.. I think from anytime 2012 trade and beyond we will get players wanting to wear our jumper and clever list management will see it happen..

We can only take a few though - we cant breach the salary cap can we?

What I think I was suggesting was the MFC could not offer him a high salary or the opertunity to play in GF in the next few years.

GWS would trump us on salary and a number of other side could give him the chance at a flag.

We couldn't offer him a high salary ?

We were prepared to offer Scully $3 million for 5 years ($600K / year), now he's gone.

If it came to fruition it would most likely require a player of value to go. There'$ more money.

Bam.

Then there is the indication that we'll go to 100% TPP

There's more room.

Double Bam.

The other thing is the opportunity to play in a GF in 2-3 years time....you sell it. You sell that we'll get O'Meara & Viney, etc...sell it. Sell the frack that we're closer than GWS.