Leigh Brown to Melbourne

Goat

Special props to Kimbo Hagdorn for plucking this one. :P

I think the player with very recent premiership experience was one thing lacking from our lengthy coaching roster so far. Very pleased that we have this now, and he seems well qualified for a player out of the game so recently. Very happy.

And to think over the last couple of seasons I booooo'd and abused this bloke louder and longer than almost any other AFL player.

So it's good to have him with us.

I hope he can have our players being abused by oposition supporters for being absolute hard nuts!

Edited by Dee Dee

Rather ironic really as Leigh was taken with pick 5 in 1999 by Freo, the pick we lost due to salary cap breaches.

Good pick up Fan.

I am not sure if he is a good pick up or not. Nor do any posters unless you are in tight with Neeld and the FD. Also I cant work out how you can make any rational judgement of someone as a coach based on their career as a player. Clarkson was a borderline journeyman who is a credentialled coach. Watson, Harvey and Voss were greats as players but have been largely underwhelming as coaches. And if playing career is anything to go by, Neeld is fail. Its clear that Neeld is well recognised as an MM assistant.

On the surface this seems like a very good get, although I don't profess any inner knowledge. But from all reports the bloke is switched on, and whilst not a stellar player, has managed to eke out a decent career for himself, which says to me that in place of raw talent there must be some serious footy smarts lurking aroun up there. And if I am to trust our coach, who I really feel is a quantum leap in the right direction, then I can only assume that this is a great pickup. Look forward to seeing the proof, and hopefully a decent dash of mongrel added into our forward line.

SEN just announces Leigh Brown as our new forward coach.

Neeld also Tweeted it. Also on the MFC & AFL websites - so is true.

Good move.

He seems just the sort required - will teach the forwards to be hard at it.

Emmn, the quiet is suspicious.

Could it be a Milburn, or someone from the Catters?

I think Mark Neeld has said that they are hoping to sign one of the TAC Cup coaches, which will make all three deputy line coaches from the TAC/VFL environment.

I think Mark Neeld has said that they are hoping to sign one of the TAC Cup coaches, which will make all three deputy line coaches from the TAC/VFL environment.

DOF, I wonder what his theory is behind this? Obviously he has an idea in his head, I'm just interested to know what it is (and interested in the Demonland public opinions!).

DOF, I wonder what his theory is behind this? Obviously he has an idea in his head, I'm just interested to know what it is (and interested in the Demonland public opinions!).

Neeld himself came from within the TAC cup environment, i would suspect this fact will have filled him with confidence in this system, and level of coaching. Bring the best "non-league" coaches available as deputy coaches, teach them the Neeld way of things and promote them when ready/when Royal ect are out of contract.

Neeld will be running the lines next season dont worry about this, he will simple say how things need to be done, and the players and coaches will work accordingly. Neeld simply needs people who are willing to learn imo, he doesnt want to many other ideas floating around, this would disrupt his plans, so bringing in fresh blood allows this

Edited by Jordie_tackles
  • Like 2

If you'd told me a few weeks ago that Leigh Brown would be our forward line coach in 2012, I'd have vomited.

But now that I think about it, I quite like it.

Neeld obviously knows what Leigh's capable of. He clearly sees something there. And I've heard Leigh speak. He's not the stupid moron he looked like on the field. Plus he's from Collingwood, so that helps in terms of professionalism and success. This could work nicely.

At any rate, he can't be any worse than Josh Mahoney.

Neeld himself came from within the TAC cup environment, i would suspect this fact will have filled him with confidence in this system, and level of coaching. Bring the best "non-league" coaches available as deputy coaches, teach them the Neeld way of things and promote them when ready/when Royal ect are out of contract.

Neeld will be running the lines next season dont worry about this, he will simple say how things need to be done, and the players and coaches will work accordingly. Neeld simply needs people who are willing to learn imo, he doesnt want to many other ideas floating around, this would disrupt his plans, so bringing in fresh blood allows this

I'd say it may also have something to do with the amount of cash we have to throw around. I would assume rookie coaches out of the TAC system would cost a fair chunk less than guys like Gary Ayres or Blake Caracella. It may have been one of the caveats that yes we will provide you with as many guys as you require but there's only so much cash to throw around at this stage. Not saying its only this but I think this would be a factor.

I'd say it may also have something to do with the amount of cash we have to throw around. I would assume rookie coaches out of the TAC system would cost a fair chunk less than guys like Gary Ayres or Blake Caracella. It may have been one of the caveats that yes we will provide you with as many guys as you require but there's only so much cash to throw around at this stage. Not saying its only this but I think this would be a factor.

I doubt it. I think if given the choice, Neeld would've chosen quality over quantity. Or he'd have gone to Adelaide.

• Like 1

Yep, he's made his career from doing team things and sticking to his role. Also handy that he's had a bit of versatility and you'd think his experience moving between ruck and forward will help given that all three of Jamar, Gawn and Martin are touted as being forward targets when not in ruck.

In the back of my mind, this boosts our chances of having all three big men on the ground in effective roles, and having resting-ruckman taught to provide a grunt-bastard forward role when needed will help with our current lack of gorilla targets.

And obviously Neeld knows exactly the kind of character, attitude and ability Brown will bring, and was keen on him the moment the position was there to be filled. So that has an air of confidence about it thatI find reassuring.

At any rate, he can't be any worse than Josh Mahoney.

I really don't understand the hate for Josh Mahoney on here. Under his watch, the Dees have been in the top 8 for scores from i50's for the last three years. The real problem is the third-world midfield. If you want to blame anyone, surely it has to be Scott West.

• Like 3

he actually was one adamant about TS going north...not nec the kiss of death at all.

cough cough !! lol

On a more serious note, F# , Im now really looking forward ( npi ) to seeing what these guys can do to cajole our blokes into some sort of fair dinkum outfit.

Welcome aboard Leigh :)

I really don't understand the hate for Josh Mahoney on here. Under his watch, the Dees have been in the top 8 for scores from i50's for the last three years. The real problem is the third-world midfield. If you want to blame anyone, surely it has to be Scott West.

I thought the buck was meant to stop with the head coach, which it ultimately did.

Let's hope under Neelds stewardship Brown gets the scoreboard ticking.

Edited by Kick it LONG

A couple of years ago , I would have confused this announcement with a Monty Python script or a misdated April Fools'Day gag. But right now,I'll back him in.

He has been a part-time coach at the Calder Cannons for the last four years .... so coaching is clearly what he has set himself to do.

The way he has re-invented himself over the past couple of years shows he is deep thinker about the game and a hard worker. He understands what success means. He will be aligned with Neeld's philosophies.

Within 48 hours of the Grand Final- no mucking around. Good stuff

• Like 1