Matthew Bate 

Demonland

Well, he is in the midfield.

Good luck to him, if two of Magner, Couch, and Bate can become regulars in our midfield we will be a lot more imposing in the middle.

I wouldn't write him off, in the midfield (weaknesses noted) and under a new coach, who presumably believes in him, (at least a bit.)

And if he doesn't shine and establish himself in the best 28 or so, he may wish to be traded at season's end.

Win, win.

I wouldn't write him off, in the midfield (weaknesses noted) and under a new coach, who presumably believes in him, (at least a bit.)

And if he doesn't shine and establish himself in the best 28 or so, he may wish to be traded at season's end.

Win, win.

True, with our crap midfield, any guys who could improve it are welcome. Big bodies are especially welcome.

Contested Poss

17th - Melbourne

16th - Brisbane

15th - Saints

14th - Adelaide

Clearances

17th - Saints

16th - Melbourne

15th - Adelaide

14th - Brisbane

Team / Opponent Differential Clearances per game

17th - Richmond

16th - Melbourne

15th - Brisbane

14th - Adelaide

Team / Opponent Differential Contested poss per game

17th - Brisbane

16th - Melbourne

15th - Saints

14th - Essendon

Team / Opponent Differential 1st poss per game

17th - Richmond

16th - Melbourne

15th - Brisbane

14th -Saints

Opponent Averages Clearances against

1st - Richmond

2nd - Brisbane

3rd - Melbourne

4th - Adelaide

Opponent Averages 1st poss against

1st - Richmond

2nd - Melbourne

3rd - Freo

4th - Sydney

Stats don't lie

• Like 2

Win, win.

Agree. I think we will see a quicker, leaner and more versatile Matthew.

Flick back to the mid season talk on Bate and it was all negative . Forget about style-he can play .He wins us metres every time .

Rarely gets beaten and stands up in contests -thats good for me .

I keep thinking back to when Bate started with us. He played some NAB cup games where He looked really good in the middle. He had a knack for getting the ball and reading play, but tended to butcher his disposal. Since then his disposal has improved out of sight. If he can get back that ability to have the ball find him he'll be great value through the middle.

Well, he is in the midfield.

Good luck to him, if two of Magner, Couch, and Bate can become regulars in our midfield we will be a lot more imposing in the middle.

I hope Bate can make inroads and shine for his own sake as well as the team's.

Agree. I think we will see a quicker, leaner and more versatile Matthew.

Going by numerous reports and having seen him train myself, Bate is all of these at present.

Flick back to the mid season talk on Bate and it was all negative .

Understandable as it appeared difficult to see him in the starting 22 then. Re-evaluating his aspects (ie weight) and the nature of the list and the retainment by Neeld may see a turn of events that may or may not equal a positive. We'll see.

I keep thinking back to when Bate started with us. He played some NAB cup games where He looked really good in the middle. He had a knack for getting the ball and reading play, but tended to butcher his disposal. Since then his disposal has improved out of sight. If he can get back that ability to have the ball find him he'll be great value through the middle.

He'll be tried in the midfield, my only concern for him is the repetitive work in getting from contest to contest around the ground, repeat efforts. And his lack of right foot. Opposition analysis would identify this as a weakness and prevent him wheeling around onto his left when it's tight. So he'll have to make amends here and be sharp with handball as a preventative measure if he comes unstuck.

One of those players who has some great strengths and weaknesses.

If he can play to his strengths then he will do well. If he does get a run on, it will be interesting to see how oppositions respond to him. He is a player that may be worked out as HT has alluded to.

Watching his development with a lot of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Bate is the classic example of a footballer versus athlete. Paul Roos' stupid comments about the Sydney Academy delisting 16 year old kid because of aerobic capacity points straight to Matty Bate. He has a huge cumbersome turning circle, is slow off the mark and has iron hands in easy marking competitions. But when it comes to the basic skills and awareness of being a footballer I reckon Bate is above many on our list. For whatever reason Bailey did not rate him but he is too good not to be in our best 22 and he is as strong as an ox. I still cannot beleive that Lynden Dunn got played ahead of Bate last year.

• Like 1

Very happy for matty bate he worked his but of and now is getting the reward keep going matty and you could have the break out year you need. Mark neeld made sure we held on to matty and looks like a master move so far.

Bate has played 90 games and has a solid body. Its obvious Neeld wants players who won't get pushed off the ball. Bate has a lot to offer, and is to be commended for the way he he changed his body and fitness regime over summer. These players don't fall out of trees and you don't get rid of them without first trying every conceivable way to get them to improve.

Some of geniuses who have marked Bate's card already should pull your heads in and respect the fact that Neeld knows a bit more than you do.

• Like 1

Bate has played 90 games and has a solid body. Its obvious Neeld wants players who won't get pushed off the ball. Bate has a lot to offer, and is to be commended for the way he he changed his body and fitness regime over summer. These players don't fall out of trees and you don't get rid of them without first trying every conceivable way to get them to improve.

Some of geniuses who have marked Bate's card already should pull your heads in and respect the fact that Neeld knows a bit more than you do.

Exactly Jnr .

Looks like the Bate Haters lost .

I like Bate and I thought he did well in the NAB cup 1st round. It would greatly enhance his game if he could kick on his right foot.

Opponents are going to be aware of this and continually force him on to his right side.

His teammates need to be aware and get in his vision for handballs when he gets pushed right .Not many can kick on both sides these days with any accuracy .

Recruited as a tall midfielder whom excelled as a 17 year old we wait and hope he can reward himself as a key midfielder after given the chance by Neeld.

I like Bate and I thought he did well in the NAB cup 1st round. It would greatly enhance his game if he could kick on his right foot.

Opponents are going to be aware of this and continually force him on to his right side.

Wasn't a problem for Cameron Ling. Fact is most left footers get away with baulking for years because most tackers are right footed and naturally go that way. Left footers have been wrong footing tacklers for years.

Thought he played as good as any demon in both games. The out-of-bounds rule made it tough for the red prawn - pretty clear to see that kicking 30-40m along the boundary for a throw in is going to be a big part of the game plan (not great for NAB Cup rules).

Like some have already said, it will be interesting to see him in dry conditions this weekend.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that there will be a little bit more in this game than just a rookie trial? Collingwood going for a potential place in the NAB Cup final, Bucks vs Neeld for the first time (albeit NAB Cup), while it's only the fake stuff, I have a feeling some egos might get in the way of a few players/coaches.

I thought Bate's ability to win the ball in tight was a highlight vs GC and Brissy. It did come as quite a surprised to me, so I must commend him for that.

However, what I didn't like, was him aimlessly throwing the ball on the boot without thinking twice about giving off to a running player. It could have been because of the conditions

and he was just trying to get the ball forward, which is fair enough in wet weather footy, so I'll hold my judgement till next week.

Good on him for keeping his intensity up for most of the game. Saturday night in dry conditions will be an interesting story.