Jordan Gysberts 

Demonland

I've enjoyed watching #5's first couple of seasons. I feel he could be a great player for us.

However, just like Grimes, staying fit and stringing together games has to happen if he is to reach the potential that he has in him.

Time will tell, but he has the knack of finding the pill, which is a good start!

• 3 months later...

Jury is still out with the Gysberts for me. This preseason will answer a lot. A Misson candidate for certain.

He is hungry for the ball but his fitness has a long way to go if he wants to lock in a midfield position. 2012 will be a fascinating year for so many of our list.

Gysberts walked into the Afl and managed mid-20s possessions immediately .

He is a ball magnet and has good awareness .

Still physically a teen and not really a "unit" big enough to play on the ball all day .

Training photos show he has put on a bit of weight .

Doesn't have any major defects except possibly endurance which is man made anyway .

Could be anything .

Has the critical and elusive quality that genuine ball handlers need . TIME .

• Like 1

Jury is still out with the Gysberts for me. This preseason will answer a lot. A Misson candidate for certain.

He is hungry for the ball but his fitness has a long way to go if he wants to lock in a midfield position. 2012 will be a fascinating year for so many of our list.

Bloody hell WYL, are we related? The amount of times we've shared exactly the same view of the past few weeks in bizarre!

I said it back in October, and I will continue to say it - jury is out for me with The Gys. He's done some nice things, he's racked up some pretty handy numbers in a handful of games, but there's just something that makes me doubt him. At pick 11, I'm just not sure if he's going to be a star. If we got him at pick 54, I'd be rubbing my hands together! Doesn't make sense? Welcome to what's going on in my head!

He's got time on his side, but I just don't know if there is enough of it. I may be totally wrong, but those going the early crow about him being in our top 3 within a matter of seasons are making massive calls that I can't coming off.

They're predictions....

Fwiw, I could have been safe and gone with Watts or Frawley or Trengove or even Gawn, but I went the harder option because I like a challenge, billy.

edit: Harder option is probably not the right words for it.

Edited by H_T

Bloody hell WYL, are we related? The amount of times we've shared exactly the same view of the past few weeks in bizarre!

I said it back in October, and I will continue to say it - jury is out for me with The Gys. He's done some nice things, he's racked up some pretty handy numbers in a handful of games, but there's just something that makes me doubt him. At pick 11, I'm just not sure if he's going to be a star. If we got him at pick 54, I'd be rubbing my hands together! Doesn't make sense? Welcome to what's going on in my head!

He's got time on his side, but I just don't know if there is enough of it. I may be totally wrong, but those going the early crow about him being in our top 3 within a matter of seasons are making massive calls that I can't coming off.

I am prepared to give every player on our list a chance to prove themselves now that we have a proper Football Department structure. The Gys might be a gem. But so far i don't think he has been fit. But then i don't think the whole list was that fit last year. Which is where our problems began.

They're predictions....

Fwiw, I could have been safe and gone with Watts or Frawley or Trengove or even Gawn, but I went the harder option because I like a challenge, billy.

edit: Harder option is probably not the right words for it.

Wasn't criticism HT (not that I could find your post saying about the top 3 on this thread), and I'll be the first to congratulate those that made the call if he does turn out as good as some are saying he will. To believe, regardless of how soft/hard/whatever the option is, to think that Gys will be in the same team of midfielders as Trengove, Grimes, McKenzie, Viney, Blease, Tapscott, Moloney, Sylvia, there will be some competition in that top 3. I hope he does make it, and that it's because of football ability, not because the field thins out and half those blokes don't develop.

What does it matter what pick he went, it is irrelevent. They can play or not, so you rub your hands together or you don't. I reckon The Gys will go okay.

I am not as head over heels in love with Gysberts as most on this forum. Needs to work on is disposal, body size, speed, and endurance. I think he will be a serviceable player but not a star that many believe (referring to those listing him as potentially out best player in 3 years time in other thread).

Once again Freak you have made a "FAIR" and accurate, non-biased assessment of Jordan in my opinion.

To add further, I believe he is not nearly as much like Pendles as some think here. Yes I have heard him talking about how he

would like to model his game around the Collingwood great's but the closest thing Gys has to him is height. Oh, and they both play in the midfield....

Gys seems to have a great ability to read the play from stoppages and finding the ball. He has great hands in close and also seems like he can take a good grab out in front.

He has plenty of time on his side to build a big frame which will only help his ball winning ability and his marking.

Defensively he could work a lot harder. Needs to add that to his game which should come with improved aerobic fitness.

The only question mark for him is his disposal. Doesn't have a fantastic technique, therefore doesn't have a great kick.

Let's see what happens. I will say that he is a player worth persevering with.

Only my humble opinion...

(Maybe I should have just gone with the rest and said, "He WILL be a STAR)."

• Like 2

(Maybe I should have just gone with the rest and said, "He WILL be a STAR)."

I dont think anyone has made that statement in this thread on Gys

You have only said in 100 words or more what most have said.

FWIW, he is 20yo and played only 18 games in 2 years. In that time he was managed to scoop 2 Rising Star nominations from few appearances. I think criticism of his kicking is a little pre mature as a young kid in an overwhelmed midfield finds his feet. There is enough to be excited about with this player as he matures.

• Like 2

i really hope he can become our pendlebury. whilst his disposal isn't as clean, he's got that similar ability to just keep finding the ball.

his fitness has been issue - but whose hasn't? with an extra pre-season into his frame, he should be starting to fill out nicely too.

the young centre square combination of trengove, gysberts and viney could be tantalising to watch in the coming years.

If he can in any way recapture the poise and determination he showed in those first two games he will turn out an absolute ripper.

I am looking forward to him being fit and ready.

• 3 weeks later...

There won't be many "development" games given to players. Players that play senior footy will do so because they are capable of holding their own physically and willing to carry out a plan.

It may be that a couple of players will need to take a step backwards to take a few steps forward under the new regime.

Really like this kid and he has all the attributes of a very good inside midfielder, without yet having the build of one.

Edited by dandeeman

I am a fan of Gys though he seemed to barely get any pre-season game time in the seniors, while he was not injured. I am dissapointed by this because i was looking forward to seeing him have a good year, hopefully things turn around for the fella.

Neeld said he would try to field a pretty much full strength 22 for the practice match for this Friday.

I am a fan of Gys though he seemed to barely get any pre-season game time in the seniors, while he was not injured. I am dissapointed by this because i was looking forward to seeing him have a good year, hopefully things turn around for the fella.

Neeld said he would try to field a pretty much full strength 22 for the practice match for this Friday.

It's possible - and indeed it would seem to be the case - that Gysberts' form and fitness isn't up to scratch, but that doesn't equal "not part of Neeld's plans".

It's possible - and indeed it would seem to be the case - that Gysberts' form and fitness isn't up to scratch, but that doesn't equal "not part of Neeld's plans".

He might have meant 'weekend plans'?

Tynan being selected ahead of Gysberts this week could be an indication of things to come. Especially since Tynan has had much more NAB game time with alot less pre-season training then Gysberts so far.

• Like 1