Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Mitch Clark Thread

Heart Beats True

Amazing,Mitch Clark has gone from a 6 season unfulfilled talent to a champion overnight,we might have our first 100 goal a season full forward!!!

Settle down guys.

I agree and some of the posters below you should really have some sort of reality check; he'll be a good player for us and I'm really glad we've got him and I have no problem paying him $750k per year, but that puts him in probably the top 5% of players in the comp and I doubt he's there at this stage.

I have a feeling that we are all going to get a bit of a surprise about team structure, especially the forward structure, next season. Im thinking Superneeld might have a couple players in different positions. Its definately a woory how many mid-forwards we have, so a couple are probably in our best 22 but will need to find another position if they are to remain in the side. Also I'm thinking players such as Gysberts, Tapscott and Mckenzie are suddenly going to find other people competing for the same spot, that weren't previously.

Really our mid-forwards are ok, but either their full potential hasn't been shown with the lack of a big forward, or their just not quite good enough and have been getting games because theres no other option.

All I can say for sure is Clark has added a fantastic new dimension to the team, and Superneeld will be desperately wanting to make or find an A-grade small forward.

“If we were to match Melbourne’s offer to Mitch it would make him the highest paid player at our club over the next four seasons and we are not prepared to compromise our list management model to achieve that outcome,” Bond said.

http://www.fremantle...48/default.aspx

Boo Hoo Freo, sour grapes.

Unsurprising to anyone that you lost out in a trade situation.

What goes around comes around in terms of loyalty too, which is why I do not give a crap that Clark decided to pick the cash over his family (not that we know the whole deal, maybe this money will help him help his family?). We were royally screwed by a kid who lied to us for an entire year, and was not a proven commodity like Clark is. I no longer have any feelings towards these sorts of things.

I'm just thrilled that we picked our target and moved heaven and earth to nail it. Finally.

This is a massive win for us, and pick 12 is seriously a bargain.

Just think, with Clark on board, plus Watts, Howe, Green and Petterd, you have LJ with so much less pressure on him playing on the 3rd or 4th best defender. Unbelievable stuff from him next season I bet.

Go Dees!

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

just watching him against the Dees last year and this year I was surprised how much toe he has and athletic ability. very hard to match up on. In both matches he found space easily and owned the half forward area, something we really need.

Very hard bloke to outmark and seems to have real attitude.

I think the biggest advantage is Jurrah will be allowed to play in positions he is equipped for i.e roaming half forward/wing type who won't be asked to play full forward as often.

The person who could potentially struggle is Green.

None of our small forwards have established themselves as a guaranteed starter. This position is up for grabs and I would be happy to look at drafting a small, quick forward in the National Draft / Rookie Draft.

I have Davey in there but it's a very tough role to come back into to re-build his confidence. There's Wonnaeamirri and Lawrence. It's a very tough role which is even tougher in big finals, but good play in the role can make the flag winning difference.

Good get. Every so often you have to pay overs to obtain someone of quality. No doubt the club was determined to obtain an important part of our structure. A big KPF clunker. Freo will spruik they couldn't match anywhere near our offer because they don't want to compromise their list management "moving forward"...well,... winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

Now, can we get some quality mids in .....? Because we need to service the forward line !

Overs !! An interesting comment bandied around that infers there are often a myriad of choices or degrees of choice.

The Swans were accused of paying Overs for Mumford. Would htey be disappointed, would they consider they got diddled ? I dount it . They evaluated both the market and their needs adn found a best fit. It costs what it costs.

So too is this instance with the Dees and an absolute need , nto just a requirement but a need for a meaningful presence in the goal square. Aisle 4 at the local Woolies does thave them surprisingly. I looked on the tree in my back yard, uh-uh none there. Could wait and see if Santa will bring one but I guess his track record of late what with the sox and jox doesnt bode well there.

So you look at what you CAN get and seek a deal. On any given day the market price is what the price is. Its not comparable to similar if either none exists or you dont have the foot in a door to an alternative opportunity..

Its very much akin to a house auction . ( yes aware this was broached elsewhere ) but cutting to the quick the essential element of a happy outcome to an auction is.: Did the buyer get what they wanted, was he /she happy to pay the price. If both answers are yes then like a house the right or wrong of the actual purchase price only has relevance to the value as determined later.. i.e Hindsight. As that s never available at the time you can only go on whatever criteria you are working with at the time.

Right now , we needed a proven KP-Forward with bomus utility skills. This player need to be sufficient enough along his career path to a ready to go , he needs to be yet young enough to have considerable upside in terms of seasons left to run.

It all comes down to ..How much, have we got it, does he fit the bill. As I see it its YES, YES and YES.

Overs ?? No, It is what it is.

I wasn't inferring it a negative...but that is your opinion. A secondary pitch; an increase in offer. It is what it is.

I wasnt sugesting you were. Why you do is known only to yourself. I was actually concurring with the notion that the idea of overs is subjective.

I wasnt sugesting you were. Why you do is known only to yourself. I was actually concurring with the notion that the idea of overs is subjective.

This word overs is subjective...

And personally for a club that is intent on changing a mediocre culture, who have a list that are talented but have been developed to an inferior style and structure by the old coaching regime....The word "overs" for Melbourne is and should be non existent...

The slogan is "Whatever it takes" ....We needed a KPF that will give us structure and enable our other talented forward to suceed...Clark being there will create greater structure....

Couldn't care less what people think of Clark...If you are not a Melbourne supporter you will think that Melbourne paid "overs" for the guy......If you are a Melbourne supporter and you say MFC paid "overs" for Clark, i think it is pure ignorance to not see what this acquisition does for our club...Both on and off the field...all of a sudden its not little old Melbourne anymore...

Its interesting that when the news came out Clark had rejected MFCs first offer posters were up in arms that another top player had refused to join the club. Now that MFC got their man these posters are now complaining the club paid too much! A fantastic get who will had some real potency to the forward line and allow other players to play their natural game - referring to watts and Jurrah. the ability to be able to play Martin back is a real plus.

• Like 2

Its interesting that when the news came out Clark had rejected MFCs first offer posters were up in arms that another top player had refused to join the club. Now that MFC got their man these posters are now complaining the club paid too much!

They don't call it MFCSS for nothing. It runs deep in some, leaping from father to son and mother to daughter - bounding from generation to generation and infecting the red and blue blood of otherwise healthy football followers. There is only one cure - Premierships. Yae it is so.

Edited by Chook

Amazing,Mitch Clark has gone from a 6 season unfulfilled talent to a champion overnight,we might have our first 100 goal a season full forward!!!

Settle down guys.

Hardly unfulfilled. I would have thought someone like Juice was unfulfilled (as much of a joke as he is, he has talent). [censored] Clarke has played a LOT of good footy.

Besides, no-one I've seen has said he's gonna go nuts and threaten for a Coleman. The thing it really does is give us a focal point. That's really it. Takes a big defender. Gives us presence. Takes pressure off Petterd, Watts, howe, Jurrah... THAT'S what has people excited. In those handful of quarters where we had a half decent big boy playing out of the square, we were a threat... With Clarke, he may only kick 30-40 goals, but the forward line will all kick about 5-10 more each. They won't be forced to manufacture goals by going over the back, rebounding maniacally... We can actually keep players inside fifty, and have a target.

The signing is huge, huge news for 2012. No matter how you cut it.

• Like 1

MELBOURNE great David Schwarz has rated boom recruit Mitch Clark more valuable to the club than departed Tom Scully.

Schwarz said Clark would have an immediate impact as a key forward and ruck back-up. And his signing proved the Demons were no longer push-overs, he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-great-david-schwarz-rates-mitch-clark-better-than-tom-scully/story-fn69a32t-1226167931549

Good on you David, love to see that.

Nice to see that it was a "personal approach" from Jimmy Stynes that was a major influence on Clark's change of heart.

yep...didnnt leave this deal guessing as to what might have been. Cam only imagine how a bloke might feel or respond to the personal appeal of Jimma.

Im hoping he'll respect every minute of wearing that number.

yep...didnnt leave this deal guessing as to what might have been. Cam only imagine how a bloke might feel or respond to the personal appeal of Jimma.

Im hoping he'll respect every minute of wearing that number.

Nice to see that it was a "personal approach" from Jimmy Stynes that was a major influence on Clark's change of heart.

Where did you guys get this info?

Edit - Sport news first.

I will take it with a grain of salt but I wouldn't put that story past reality, it certainly could of happened .

Edited by rpfc

Where did you guys get this info?

Edit - Sport news first.

I will take it with a grain of salt but I wouldn't put that story past reality, it certainly could of happened .

From AFL site actually (bottom of article)... http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125170/default.aspx

MELBOURNE great David Schwarz has rated boom recruit Mitch Clark more valuable to the club than departed Tom Scully.

Schwarz said Clark would have an immediate impact as a key forward and ruck back-up. And his signing proved the Demons were no longer push-overs, he said.

http://www.heraldsun...t-1226167931549

Good on you David, love to see that.

There is a misperception among some that he is indifferent about the club. Couldn't be further from the truth. He called out the Scully shenanigans mid-season in order to help us with our campaign to secure maximum compensation and is now happy to come out and pump up Clark's tyres. Says a lot.

• Like 1