Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

Now GWS aren't sure whether Scully is coming up there to look over the place or not.

Newspaper reports suggested Scully, who has been linked to the club all season, will fly up to visit the Giants' facilities this week but Holmes says they aren't on the mark.

"I can't confirm that, because that's news to me," Holmes said at Ward and Palmer's first official GWS media conference

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/giants-cant-confirm-scully-is-sussing-out-western-sydney-20110907-1jx43.html

And on a lighter note

Ward, who announced his move to GWS on Monday, and Palmer, who made his shift to the Giants official on Tuesday, spoke for the first time about their decisions to join GWS.

Ward said money was "obviously a factor" that came into his decision to leave the Western Bulldogs, but denied it was the only one.

"There's plenty more to it than that. I've been in the western suburbs my whole life, ever since I was born and I think this is all part of my football journey," Ward said.

"I'm here now and really looking forward to starting a new life in western Sydney."

Boy what a journey fro Footscray to Sydney's western suburbs, wow.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say that.

What I'm saying is this.

People have a tendency to believe the positive that comes out of the press (or anywhere for that mater) because they want to.

On the other hand if it is in the negative then the reporter is a scumbag who wouldn't know.

I'm not referring to any particular poster or any particular thread I'm just making an observation about human nature.

i know you wernt exactly referring to it like this RF,

I was simply exaggerating my point a little such as i think you did with your initial argument,

People will believe what they want to, more often they will like the positive news they read, and disregard the negative rumors

There are people who dont take what the journalist write about tom as gospel because they want to take him by his word, and then the same people are happy to contemplate the thought of a great established coach possibly coming to our Club, some people dont believe either, and people believe everything written in the papers such is life

A shift in position from Caro..............she has been on the fence for a while, but now sits firmly in the "gone" camp:

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/scully-certain-to-sign-with-gws-20110907-1jxuv.html

Trouble is she refers to a tour of the GWS facilities which GWS have said they know nothing about, so that's wrong for beginners.

If she is basing her opinion on that then she should do a bit more research. None of them really know' it's in the hands of the Gods, or some would have you believe that anyway.

The highlight of the past 24 hours must be the sight of Kevin Sheedy looking into the cameras and telling his interviewers that he'd never met or spoken to Tom Scully.

Sheeds might have sometimes stretched the truth in his time and I have no reason to disbelieve him but I can't help thinking about the comment attributed to him in one media article that GWS would have two co-captains next year, which comment was followed by the journalist suggesting Scully would be one of them.

If Tom goes to GWS, and good luck to him if he does, then his appointment as captain would tell me a lot about the process that saw him go there.

A shift in position from Caro..............she has been on the fence for a while, but now sits firmly in the "gone" camp:

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/scully-certain-to-sign-with-gws-20110907-1jxuv.html

It's all just pi55 and wind with no substance! Funny how the Melbourne papers say he is going up for a tour of GWS and the Sydney MH article you posted said they new nothing of him going up. Which is it does anyone know? Does Tom know?

He would have both offers by now surly, It would be interesting to know what is delaying his decision or if they plan to make a decision this week.

The highlight of the past 24 hours must be the sight of Kevin Sheedy looking into the cameras and telling his interviewers that he'd never met or spoken to Tom Scully.

Sheeds might have sometimes stretched the truth in his time and I have no reason to disbelieve him but I can't help thinking about the comment attributed to him in one media article that GWS would have two co-captains next year, which comment was followed by the journalist suggesting Scully would be one of them.

If Tom goes to GWS, and good luck to him if he does, then his appointment as captain would tell me a lot about the process that saw him go there.

That would look great in next years Captain's of the AFL photo shoot with two GWS guernseys!

Surely this comes to an end in the next 24 hours.

I fully expect the usual claims of 'it took a long time to reach this decision'

'I wanted to weight up every possibility so that I can ensure my football playing future'

'the opportunity to be a leader at a new club Is really exciting'

'I see it as the challenge I require at this point of my career'

'Im off to GWS and believe me I only considered that option 3 days ago'

'Id like to thank the MFC for drafting me they're a great club with a strong future

I just saw my opportunity and fullfillment of potential at GWS'

'it will be tough moving away from family but I'll have more money

Than I can spend.

Surely it writes itself into the crescendo well all know that's coming soon.

that being ?:rolleyes:

http://www.afl.com.a...49/default.aspx

GWS to make a big announcement.

Hopefully not Scully.

you read the article ?? refers to Davis.. and hardly see that as news as hes already told everyone where hes going. Further proof much of any GWS posturing is all bunkum. GWS apporached Davis ages ago..a done deal. all hush hush except it wasnt..lol. Ward was obviouisly openly courted before an amazing " by chance" decision to move north.

Scully wont be announced til afer hes performed the farce of looking over the facilities.... and checking the brown bags in his new locker.

Honestly..Ive seen better acting on day time telly.

And on a lighter note

Ward, who announced his move to GWS on Monday, and Palmer, who made his shift to the Giants official on Tuesday, spoke for the first time about their decisions to join GWS.

Ward said money was "obviously a factor" that came into his decision to leave the Western Bulldogs, but denied it was the only one.

"There's plenty more to it than that. I've been in the western suburbs my whole life, ever since I was born and I think this is all part of my football journey," Ward said.

"I'm here now and really looking forward to starting a new life in western Sydney."

Boy what a journey fro Footscray to Sydney's western suburbs, wow.

The Callan Ward articles have clearly illustrated how it's a joke that players wouldn't just admit that it was all about the money.

One on the AFL website raved about how he was a western boy who loved there all his life and spoke of how fiercely important loyality is in footy - all reasons to stay I'd have thought.

On Ward, I'm 98% sure he fielded, and seriously considered, offers to switch codes and join the Western Force. Apparently, there was also competition from now Championship-based West Ham.

Guest Gareth Keenan

This is it though.

We're finally at a stage where I half expect his decision to be announce TODAY, not a few weeks or months away still.

Can't believe we're finally here.

Only a matter of time...

Really??? Have you ever been to Sydney?

I'd rather live in Moe then anywhere in Sydney!

It's interesting the mindless Melbourne v Sydney debate on this site.

For a start, you will find most Sydney-siders speak very generously of Melbourne. That's not to say they'd rather live there, just that they really like it.

It's much the same as the New Zealand v Australia debate. I find that many Kiwis are quite vocal in their thoughts about Australia and Australians, whereas most Australians don't particularly care about what Kiwis think about Australia at all.

Perhaps it's the big brother thing.

Personally, I absolutely love Melbourne, but I prefer living in Sydney. Bottom line though is that they are actually very different cities with very different offerings. And in a country like Australia where there aren't heaps of viable alternatives, that's a great thing.

As to where to live in Sydney, I live in Potts Point. There is literally no equivalent in Melbourne (or anywhere else in Australia for that matter). IMO this area represents the closest thing Australia has to NYC (West Village in particular), and my wife and I like that. Many here, I expect, wouldn't like living in the area - and I'm totally cool with that. Ultimately it's just a matter of opinion ie, it's not a 'fact', perhaps like many of the other things on this thread that are said to be 'facts' are in reality not 'facts' at all.

They are doing the Davis announcement at Marist College?

That doesn't mean much to those outside of Canberra but WTF?

It's a school day.

It's like going down to Assumption College and announcing you've poached Alex Rance...

Anywho, this mess is nearly at it's crescendo.

It doesn't look good, but we're the MFC - it never looks good...

you read the article ?? refers to Davis.. and hardly see that as news as hes already told everyone where hes going. Further proof much of any GWS posturing is all bunkum. GWS apporached Davis ages ago..a done deal. all hush hush except it wasnt..lol. Ward was obviouisly openly courted before an amazing " by chance" decision to move north.

Scully wont be announced til afer hes performed the farce of looking over the facilities.... and checking the brown bags in his new locker.

Honestly..Ive seen better acting on day time telly.

If this is a Judd like facade of inspecting the facilities then he's making a mockery of himself

If this is a Judd like facade of inspecting the facilities then he's making a mockery of himself

Strangely didnt perturb Chris did it ?

just to add.:

Theres an error many make. ( myself included at times..yes..even I ) is that we look at all of this from a Melbourne/Victorian perspective. Yet all this charade and song /dance routine is really for Sydney's benefit, the great unwashed as it were. They for teh most part thanks to a particularly partisan media wont be living and breathing AFL. They're being fed a story to suit that audiance.

Sheeds is very much aware of who his targets are...both players and public

Edited by belzebub59

It doesn't look good, but we're the MFC - it never looks good...

Gold

Genuinely one of the funniest quips to ever grace these boards....... Hilarious..., but unfortunately its the truth of what we all expect.

Sadly, I agree and sadly it's looking more and more likely that that is indeed the case. I just hope that those who've been on the 'Scully is gone' bandwagon don't get too smug. No-one who truly cares about the Melbourne Football Club wins if Scully leaves.

Sadly, I agree and sadly it's looking more and more likely that that is indeed the case. I just hope that those who've been on the 'Scully is gone' bandwagon don't get too smug. No-one who truly cares about the Melbourne Football Club wins if Scully leaves.

Yes, but 'Crisi-tunity' and all that - if he is off, we should trade the picks and get some ready made talent.

The MFC doesn't dissolve because of this, we show our resolve because of this.

It's interesting the mindless Melbourne v Sydney debate on this site.

For a start, you will find most Sydney-siders speak very generously of Melbourne. That's not to say they'd rather live there, just that they really like it.

It's much the same as the New Zealand v Australia debate. I find that many Kiwis are quite vocal in their thoughts about Australia and Australians, whereas most Australians don't particularly care about what Kiwis think about Australia at all.

Perhaps it's the big brother thing.

Personally, I absolutely love Melbourne, but I prefer living in Sydney. Bottom line though is that they are actually very different cities with very different offerings. And in a country like Australia where there aren't heaps of viable alternatives, that's a great thing.

As to where to live in Sydney, I live in Potts Point. There is literally no equivalent in Melbourne (or anywhere else in Australia for that matter). IMO this area represents the closest thing Australia has to NYC (West Village in particular), and my wife and I like that. Many here, I expect, wouldn't like living in the area - and I'm totally cool with that. Ultimately it's just a matter of opinion ie, it's not a 'fact', perhaps like many of the other things on this thread that are said to be 'facts' are in reality not 'facts' at all.

Well said Ron, spot on

.....but you still have to feel sorry for rpfc :mellow: