New Leadership group

mrtwister

This probably won't happen so it's a complete hypothetical, but if Viney wielded the axe to the leadership group, who would you like to see in the new one?

Personally,

Frawley - a backline leader, no doubt

Jamar - he knows what it takes to work hard to achieve goals

Sylvia - good at directing people and organising forward line movement

Jones (captain)- leads by example, his strength is his effort and this can't deteriorate with extra responsibility

Moloney (VC)- hard at the ball (most of the time) and seems to love the club

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably won't happen so it's a complete hypothetical, but if Viney wielded the axe to the leadership group, who would you like to see in the new one?

Personally,

Jones (captain)- leads by example, his strength is his effort and this can't deteriorate with extra responsibility

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/120035/default.aspx

A good article by Lethal which goes some way holding our insipid leadership group to account. Trengove should be made Captain as of next year with support from Grimes, Frawley and Jones. Our over 25 group is quite possibly the most pathetic in the AFL.

http://www.afl.com.a...35/default.aspx

A good article by Lethal which goes some way holding our insipid leadership group to account. Trengove should be made Captain as of next year with support from Grimes, Frawley and Jones. Our over 25 group is quite possibly the most pathetic in the AFL.

Lethal is basically saying that Brad Green is not a captain's ars....le. And the rest of our 'leadership group' aren't far behind him.

This from a bloke with 8 flags to his name.

Personally,

No.

Do the Leading Teams 'decide your own group' but do it with the uner 24 group.

They can choose their captain from the list but the bulk of the leaders have to come from our future - it is time to get them involved.

We can't decide who can be good leaders.

But we should set the parameters for the leadership group.

I have issues with Grimes at this stage of his career. Whilst he has admirable qualities, his disposal and decision making is not up to scratch and been injured too often. I'd like to see a solid season out of him with fewer errors.

Lethal is basically saying that Brad Green is not a captain's ars....le. And the rest of our 'leadership group' aren't far behind him.

He's not! The word 'Poonsie', comes to mind.

Seriously, I wish he'd go to GWS, the way he's gone this year. Take the money Brad, your out of contract, take it & go.

He's not! The word 'Poonsie', comes to mind.

Seriously, I wish he'd go to GWS, the way he's gone this year. Take the money Brad, your out of contract, take it & go.

He is not out of contract.

He can stay, but not as a leader.

For me, Trengove ©, Moloney (VC), Jones (VC), Frawley, Watts, MacKenzie. I love Grimes, but he cannot stay on the park to save himself. Until he can play out a season, I feel he shouldn't be in it.

I'd certainly be taking Grimes out of the leadership group, nothing to do with the bloke but the poor bugger should focus on getting himself right and the rest will come. Like Moloney, he doesn't need a "title" to be a leader.

I'd be making one of Moloney or Trengove captain. Trenners is young but he has such a great head on his shoulders; he's a smart player, courageous, and when it's his time to go he does so with full conviction. I'd be concerned with him being such a young captain though, so I feel the that Moloney would be our smartest choice.

The guy bleeds red and blue, he knows the struggles to club has been through and he's a no nonsense type player that will bust his gut every time. He didn't do anything last week, he was ill and shouldn't have played. Maybe he should've said so pre-game but he didn't and i'm sure he knows that was a mistake. Bottom line is i think the players would play for him.

Frawley, Jamar, Jones to round out the group. All of them guys that teammates rally behind and are important cogs in our team. I wouldn't hate them for leaving Green in there, he's a poor captain but he was almost AA last year and in the leadership group, not a leaders leader but still a very experienced player.

Bottom line is though the players will vote who they want in there, and they are the best judges. Would've been interesting to know who they wanted captain out of the voted group.

Summary:

Moloney ©

Trengove (VC)

Jones

Frawley

Jamar

(Green)

I'd certainly be taking Grimes out of the leadership group, nothing to do with the bloke but the poor bugger should focus on getting himself right and the rest will come. Like Moloney, he doesn't need a "title" to be a leader.

I'd be making one of Moloney or Trengove captain. Trenners is young but he has such a great head on his shoulders; he's a smart player, courageous, and when it's his time to go he does so with full conviction. I'd be concerned with him being such a young captain though, so I feel the that Moloney would be our smartest choice.

The guy bleeds red and blue, he knows the struggles to club has been through and he's a no nonsense type player that will bust his gut every time. He didn't do anything last week, he was ill and shouldn't have played. Maybe he should've said so pre-game but he didn't and i'm sure he knows that was a mistake. Bottom line is i think the players would play for him.

Frawley, Jamar, Jones to round out the group. All of them guys that teammates rally behind and are important cogs in our team. I wouldn't hate them for leaving Green in there, he's a poor captain but he was almost AA last year and in the leadership group, not a leaders leader but still a very experienced player.

Bottom line is though the players will vote who they want in there, and they are the best judges. Would've been interesting to know who they wanted captain out of the voted group.

Summary:

Moloney ©

Trengove (VC)

Jones

Frawley

Jamar

(Green)

Absolutely agree. I would leave Trengove out of the official leadership group for this year but have him in on the outskirts almost doing a traineeship. I would also now have Beamer taking on more of the Captains role - a Co-Captain - doing the talking or some of it - revving the players up at the bounce etc. Let Greeny lead them on and off. I dont think we need at this stage to completely demoralise Greeny and the players by asking him or allowing him to step down. He needs help and Beamer, Jamar and Frawley need to step up and assist.

Youd reckon hed know something about leadership and recognise it when he sees it.... or doesnt :rolleyes:

all in all it ( article) put much in correct perspective.

The Riot act needs to be read down at the club.

All aboard.......this train's not for passengers though.

This >>> ....."The concept of empowering player leadership groups to help run their own teams is justified if they are capable of the responsibility and it does not adversely affect their core role as on-field performers.

If they cannot the results can be disastrous.

Basically one size does not fit all and a good dose of authoritarian coaching style might be just what the Demons need at this stage of their development, because their player leadership group is just not getting it done." (Quote from Lethal's article today)

I want Trenners in.

Every time the club has been questioned, who has stood up? JT

Every time the players have been asked about the Scully situation, who has responded? JT

The hardest, most controversial act by a Melbourne player this year? JT

The one who, even when he is struggling within a game, never stops putting in 100%? JT

I want Jack Trengove to be held up as the example for others to follow. He doesn't drop his head, hedoesn't stop running, he keeps pushing even when he isn't having an impact on the game.

Especially compared to those who have been at the club far longer, he has been a shining light.

(I would say Frank, but his injury record does not endear itself)

I reckon Brad Green has been treated pretty badly. He's not captain material, so what?. Not everyone is.

He's a good player who had an exceptional season last year in a below average team. We need to keep players of his experience.

For me, Trengove ©, Moloney (VC), Jones (VC), Frawley, Watts, MacKenzie. I love Grimes, but he cannot stay on the park to save himself. Until he can play out a season, I feel he shouldn't be in it.

Has a well rounded flavour about it.

I think , despite all the new age rubbish currently the darling of teh modernists I feel teh CLUB ought to appoint the captian etc.. Not a vote from within. Seems for the most part many players incapable of discerning real leadership let alone giving it.

It's bloody hard for outsider's to know who the best leaders are at the Club. Leadership extends further than just onfield performance. For example, Jordie Mc has stood tall in recent weeks, but is he actually a good leader? We thought that with Green last year, and look what happened!

That said, my leadership group next year would be;

Frawley - is still pretty loose off field, and might need this bit of responsibility to settle him down

Moloney - is basically a given in the leadership group because of his passion

Jones - see Moloney. Differnce is the gap between Chunk's best and worst is far less than Brent's

Watts - the one that has truly taken a step forward this year, and I think, like Frawly, will benefit from a leadership position

Trengove - for the reasons that everyone has said

Green - in the leadership group but not an official title to go with it. He was in it last year I think

From there, we need to select a Captain. Someone who is going to impose themselves and lift the team when required. I'd lvoe to see Watts do it, but I think he is still not quite intimidating enough.

So, it would be Moloney ©, Trengove & Watts (VC). I think Trengove is about 2 years short of becomming an AFL Captain.

In the future, I would like to think the group would be Trengove, Scully, Watts, Grimes and Frawley.

I want Trenners in.

Every time the club has been questioned, who has stood up? JT

Every time the players have been asked about the Scully situation, who has responded? JT

The hardest, most controversial act by a Melbourne player this year? JT

The one who, even when he is struggling within a game, never stops putting in 100%? JT

I want Jack Trengove to be held up as the example for others to follow. He doesn't drop his head, hedoesn't stop running, he keeps pushing even when he isn't having an impact on the game.

Especially compared to those who have been at the club far longer, he has been a shining light.

(I would say Frank, but his injury record does not endear itself)

I agree 100% with all of this, my only concern would be putting too much pressure and workload on a young guy that is still developing his game. Would hate to stagnate his improvement

I agree when you hear Trengove speak to the media he just speaks so well and clearly. You can tell he loves the club.

Moloney is just a given. he loves the club and has been a good player this season. While I dont agree with what he did last week when he was sick but still said he could play when he couldnt even break out in a trot and was subbed off at half time without a possession. In todays footy you cant carry players.

Frawley and Jamr because they stand up when needed.

I reckon Watts to because he was the only one that seemed to get angry last week and tried to rev up the players last week. Plus he has improved.

Grimes would be great but he cant stay on the field. Until he can play out a full season he cant be thought about the captaincy.

Mckenzie. He just goes where the ball is and doesnt care whose in his way.

Hypothetically: If we did appoint a new leadership group before season's end and Tom Scully was included in the group, would our compensation increase if he does leave?

The compensation I beleive centers mainly on the value applied by the receiving club. Funny in a way. The more they pay Tom , the more we get back.